Tenchi Muyo (All Good Things) - Cover

Tenchi Muyo (All Good Things)

Copyright© 2009 by Dreaming Bear

Chapter 56: 'In bound'

"Here we are again." Tenchi thought dryly. Though the observation was largely untrue. The ubiquitous rhythms beneath the earlier car were all but absent. Replace with a lulling 'throb' barely hinting at the power and speeds they were currently traveling. He'd also been spared the the indignations of being forced to stand, hanging on to a ceiling strap for dear life. More over and perhaps most importantly, Sasami was no longer stalking him. Like grandpa, she was dead to the world. Looking, as always the perfect angel while holding a complete set of chiefs knives.

Their mutual running around had certainly taken the fight out of them. He likewise was tired but the excitement he was feeling had him so 'keyed' sleep wasn't an option.

"Two days!!" he thought smiling. In two days the rings would arrive! Then the last barrier to him asking Ryoko to be his wife would be gone. Tenchi settled back into the soft padded seat. So glad they'd been able to take the bullet train. Otherwise the trip home would have taken all night. The real surprise being that Grandpa, Mr. Tightwad! Had not only suggested it but paid for the tickets.

'I'm getting too old for long excursions.' was all he offered by way of explanations.

"Play it up Grandpa." Tenchi muttered. Knowing full well Katsuhito was likely more spry than even he was. Whatever the reason, this was far better than riding commuter rail and stopping at every little, tiny, town nestled along the way. "That and changing trains three times!" He added darkly. Realizing maybe he was just spoiled. "That and a being a total hypocrite!" He privately reasoned. After all Butto was a little, tiny town!

"Mmmm." He heard to his left. Smiling he once again regarded Sasami.

2

"Isn't Morrimotto cool?" Sasami asked the pretty blond standing next to her. Scarcely believing they'd picked her number! Or that she was about to meet ... him. An avid watcher of the show, Sasami still never wanted to be a challenger!

While priding herself on her culinary skills. She never wanted to cross spatulas with this man! That and being deathly afraid of Chairman Koga! After all, the man dressed fancier than Ayeka. It would be just like him to suddenly pop up. Wearing peacock feathers or something!

"Probably hit me with some mean theme ingredient!" She muttered. "Like monkey brains or alligator lips!" Her shuddering was cut short by the gentle voice of the girl standing next to her.

"Get ready!" She told her excitedly taking Sasami's hand. "Were up next."

"Bubbles!" A voice snapped to their immediate right. "There's no need to get so familiar!" Both of them glanced, that direction to the stern face of an otherwise attractive older woman with long jet-black hair.

"Jacellen!" Bubbles told her, sweetly buoyant. "Now you know I'm suppose to give support and comfort to the winners!" Looking over it was easy for Sasami to believe 'Bubbles' never wore many cross expressions. Her face didn't seem suited. So, what she was shooting the woman was more like an angry pout. "You're over reacting, AGAIN!" She finished firmly. It seemed to work, Sasami watched the older woman sink out of sight, dropping slowly below the side of the stage.

"What's her story?" Sasami asked curiously. In response Bubbles rolled a pair of the most amazing neon blue eyes Sasami had ever seen.

"She thinks she's my mother." Bubble's sighed then paused, frowning. "At least I hope that's what it is." This last remark punctuated by a certain, concern? Gathering like a cloud descending over Bubbles features.

"So, she's like what? A business manager or agent?" Sasami ventured. "Help me out here."

"Well, It's kind'a complicated." Bubbles fidgeted. "I'm sort'a working for the U.N."

"As in United Nations?" Sasami asked, then smiled looking her up then down. "Uh, that doesn't look like a diplomatic bag your wearing." She smiled, in reference to the 'puffy' white skirt Bubbles had on. Hey! It looked better than that horrible pom-pom monstrosity the girl on that film crew at the shrine was wearing!

"I know," Bubbles sighed tiredly. "It all started because this one Japanese Diplomat thought I looked like an idol singer!" She halted, glancing again stage-ward, seeming to tense.

"That's our signal!" She smiled squeezing Sasami's hand. As Bubbles led her forward Sasami glance sideways catching a final glimpse of Jacellen staring daggers strait through her.

"I'm on to you!" the brunette mouthed grotesquely. And so, thoroughly weird-ed out, Sasami proceeded. Following with her guide on to the center stage only to freeze when all of a sudden the joyous swelling of music victoriously urging them on ... died.

"Roll up! Roll up! Try your luck!" Sasami heard at once to her left. Glancing that way past Bubbles, confused Sasami was brought up short by the sight of Ryoko, unexpectantly leaning to one side of a carnival booth. "Don't be shy little lady!" Ryoko waved her on. "You strike me as having a good eye!"

"What's going on here?" Sasami asked.

"Darned if I know!" Bubbles told her, shrugging sweetly. "It's your dream!" Looking about startled, Sasami noticed the stage and audience were gone! Replaced by rows of canvass booths. Of course she instantly recognized the setting. This was the summer festival they held every year at the shrine!

"Duh." Sasami scolded herself, completing the moment with a very Ayeka-like bump to her own noggin. "I knew some thing weird was going on here!" She grumbled.

"No you didn't." Ryoko told her, sliding sunglasses down her nose.

"Be quiet Ryoko!" Sasami snapped, trying to concentrate. So, she was dreaming again and that meant she'd better pay close attention indeed! There was this little secret she'd kept from everyone, including Tenchi! She almost never dreamed unless it was some kind of premonition!! Well, at least if she did she never remembered them!

"I've got to figure this out!" She muttered determinedly. "It's always about imagery! Symbols indicating possible directions the future might go. Paths to be taken. Usually centering on some single act that was ether about to be taken or needed to be avoided." 'Yeah, ' good advise. When ever she remembered to take it. Sasami paused, looking around, Everything looked vaguely familiar, Except...

"Any idea's?" She suddenly asked Bubbles if only because, she was an odd element, Not one of her friends or family.

"I think maybe I'm just here to translate?" Bubbles told her. "It's my job remember?" Sasami nodded, remembering a longer conversation they'd had. "That, and I'm suppose to give support and comfort to the winners!" Bubbles added nodding.

"What about the losers?" Ryoko asked, suddenly interested.

"Them, I usually ignore." Bubbles told her directly, then turned away.

"You calling me a loser?" Ryoko huffed, instantly volatile.

"If the shoe fits." Bubbles smiled, glancing pertly.

"Uh..." Sasami ventured, extending a hand tentatively. "Guys?"

"Why you snot nosed little!" Ryoko snapped. Launching forward at the petit girl, letting fist fly just as Sasami raised hand to object. A swing, which Bubbles suddenly spun and astonishingly intercepted casually with one hand and a very load whack!

"Guess you have trouble telling friends from foes Huh?" Bubbles asked Ryoko coolly.

"WHAT THE HELL?" Ryoko gaped. Then before Sasami's startled gaze Bubbles just as casually began squeezing, so hard Ryoko cried out!

"It will be your undoing!" Bubbles added mildly.

"STOP IT! DON"T HURT HER!" Sasami yelled. Just like that Bubbles released her grip.

"You rely too much on your powers!" She told Ryoko sadly. "It makes you vulnerable to attack in ways you can't imagine!"

"BITE ME!" Ryoko snapped grimacing. Just as Bubbles knelt, lifting her chin.

"Sometimes victory is obtained by concession!" Again Bubbles smiled that fantastic smile of Herr's "It's possible to conquer by surrendering!"

"I'd sooner die!" Ryoko shouted. Sasami felt the scene about them whirl. The carnival melting into darkness, flowing until their surroundings stabilized into a huge golden triangle. With Tenchi, Ryoko and Ayeka standing on its respective points. Sasami was startled, realizing she was no longer a part of the scene, drifting instead above. It was also curious to note Tenchi was wearing a formal Jurian marriage Suri while her sister was dressed in an elaborate western style white wedding dress complete with long train and veil. Ryoko's appearance was the most shocking ... well more unexpected really. Completely nude, bound in red ribbons.

"Don't let it come to that!" Bubble's voice echoed disembodied. "Choose your battles wisely!" Suddenly she then materialized, now as a huge presence above the scene. Making the three figures below like dolls by comparison. She playfully dotted Ryoko's nose with point of a massive finger. "You just might find you enjoy surrendering you know," She smiled. "To the right person!"

"Tenchi?" Sasami asked.

"No," Bubbles said solemnly. Focusing upon where Sasami floated observing. "This is no longer about him, her, your sister or even you!"

"What do you mean?" Sasami started.

"Other forces are swinging in to play." Bubbles hand descended touching the triangle below.

"No!" Sasami cried, watching it wobble. Suddenly her perspective shifted, becoming aware the triangle rested on a long golden cone beneath its center.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.