Tenchi Muyo (All Good Things) - Cover

Tenchi Muyo (All Good Things)

Copyright© 2009 by Dreaming Bear

Chapter 34: Descending a stair

Elsewhere, descending along its ancient steps, the senior caretaker of Masaki shrine studied the smooth well-worn stones as he made his way downward. His tread unhurried as always. Each step blending carefully into the next. Even in this, he was as always the model of serene composure. Slowing his pace at about halfway point of the second flight, he sighed brooding. Noting spider-web cracks appearing along the face of one eastern riser.

"Some of these old stones aren't holding up as well as I." Katsuhito mused quietly. "I suppose I'll have to get Tenchi out here with a bucket of mortar."

"YOU CROSS EYED BIMBO!" A voice suddenly broke the quiet of the afternoon. "WATCH WHERE THE HELL YOUR SET'N THAT SHIT!

"Urbanites." Katsuhito sighed just as the echo faded. "Could any vision of hell be more complete?"

Tradition demanded Of course, all visitors to the shrine be made welcome. Some however were 'welcomed' more than others as the saying goes. At his current distance, the outburst had not been terribly loud, though at its source, he reasoned it must have been rather piecing.

"AM PA!" Came another exclamation from behind him. The old man turning nimbly in time to intercept Mayuka as the toddler launched herself like a missile off the stairs above.

"Oof!" He grunted receiving her full weight easily spinning her around and gathering her up into his arms.

"Oh! It is you my child!" Katsuhito said, smiling. "I had thought for a moment I had been set upon by some brigand!"

"I NINJA!" Mayuka said precociously, making a chopping motion at his chest. "Hiyah!"

"I see, I see." He said smiling down at her. "You are watching too many of those shows Mihoshi delights in!"

"Like I haven't caught you laying front of the boob tube enough times!" Came yet another voice, prompting his eyes to follow.

Framed in the midday sunlight, resplendent in her kimono, Washu smiled down at the two of them.

"Sorry bout that." She added apologetically. "If I knew she was gonna launch a sneak attack I would'a warned ya!"

"No harm done of course." Playfully Katsuhito tussled the child's hair. At times like this, Mayuka reminded him so much of his daughter Achika. Lifting her chin gazing fondly, he could see Sasami and even Ayeka as well. The bloodlines within the child showed true and strong!

Thoughts like those always triggered a pang of regret deep within. Mayuka's eyes were lighter than his, or Ayeka's and closer to true crimson than the soft pink that was Sasami, so much like ... her mother's.

"Yuzuha." He murmured softly, as regrets bitter and sweet surfaced along with the memories.

"You're doing it again." Washu advised quietly. Shaking him-self loose from the past Katsuhito glanced over at his companion, noting the color of stones surrounding was 'picked up' by her eyes as she smiled a lopsided smile.

"Am Pa sad?" Mayuka asked, looking up with concern written on her young face.

"No little joy!" He told the child. "How could sadness ever touch me with you as my heart's guardian?"

She nodded a response, which delighted him to no end. As he would affirm to anyone, this was no ordinary child! However, it was less a mater of grandfatherly pride than a simple fact, which anyone who knew the details surrounding Mayuka's birth would readily agree.

"You gonna lighten up?" Washu asked, elaborately making a fist. "Or do I gotta bop ya?"

"Yah! Am Pa, ighten up!" Mayuka spouted, causing both adults to chuckle.

"I'm just not certain a three hour train ride with Tenchi tomorrow is going to be pleasant with the strain currently between us." Katsuhito sighed.

"Thought the two of you had worked that out." Washu said concerned. "At least that's what it sounded like when he brought 'the little terror' up this morning."

"Hai," Katsuhito Nodded looking at the ground solemnly. "We cleared the air somewhat but still, there is something wrong."

"Any guesses?" Washu ventured.

"He was very evasive when asked." Katsuhito continued. "But, were I were to hazard a guess. I believe he may have finally, made his decision."

"About going back to school?" Washu asked a little bewildered, causing Katsuhito to shoot her a glance so sharp it could have sliced a chunk out of the hillside. "OH!" She gasped. "That decision!"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.