Tenchi Muyo (All Good Things) - Cover

Tenchi Muyo (All Good Things)

Copyright© 2009 by Dreaming Bear

Chapter 3: Training Session

Thinking back, the training session that day had begun, much as always.

Rigorous conditioning of the body and its reflexes were forever, an on going process one simply understood.

However, the past few years had witnessed among other remarkable events, a steady lessening in the severity of Katsuhito's more negative commentary as to his performance.

While it had become clear Tenchi, had long since surpassed his grandfather's raw measure of 'holy power', as most 'Jurians' seemed to call it. As crystal also however, was the 'old man's', yet superior ability to skillfully apply it.

While routine perhaps, Katsuhito's wily nature assured training was rarely monotonous. Particularly a recent stunning suggestion out of the apparent blue, that Kiyone join them when her schedule permitted!

Thus Tenchi's adventures over the last few years had taught, if anything, that there was still much to learn and no finer instructor imaginable.

However, on that day it was much as it had been in years past. Not that thinking back to it now Tenchi could say he didn't understand.

The recent events which had 'arranged' a one-year detour in the course of his life also guaranteed the inevitable commentary from his grandfather upon his return.

The gruff fashion in which Katsuhito had gone about his instruction had been littered with references regarding Tenchi's 'laxness' in his training, while on what Katsuhito insisted calling a 'vacation'.

It had however provided another clear indication how deeply his disappearance had effected them all.

On the other hand it had been difficult for Tenchi to get a really decent grasp on. 'It still was'. I mean, from his perceptive only a few days had passed!

"Let us begin with the basic forms." His Grandpa had intoned, adjusting his glasses. It had been just the two of them that day, there on the training grounds.

Kiyone and Mihoshi were 'off planet' for about two weeks there about. Tenchi wasn't clear on that point.

It was becoming progressively harder at times to keep all of the various 'comings and goings' strait in his mind.

Looking at that quiet regal old man, Tenchi never so much as thought the name 'Yosho'. It was simply impossible, even now to think of Katsuhito Masaki by any other title than 'Grandfather'.

"AGAIN?" He had replied, a little too 'smart mouthed' in retrospect Tenchi now believed.

"Whenever reason fails, and logic surrenders nothing." Katsuhito had sighed, his voice a tired yet patient mantra.

For Tenchi, however that quiet sibilance was the same as a force ten earthquake.

"We must always return to the basics." His Grandpa had nodded emphatically.

"The mightiest tree after, is nothing without its roots!"

"Oooh." A crooked smile had stole across Tenchi's features.

"At dusk even the shortest man casts a long shadow?" He had smirked.

Straitening then Tenchi had crossed his arms in a good rendition of his Grandfather's current stance.

"I see, I see." He continued, adopting a gruff tone, copying his grandfather's nod as well while Katsuhito stared.

"A woman who cooks carrots and pees in the same pot is unsanitary?"

The slight pause, which followed merely for effect as Tenchi, hazarded a grin his grandpa's direction.

"That sort of thing?" He then asked, in his own voice.

The reply had been a lighting swift strike, blocked without apparent effort as their boken came together with a thunderous whack! Over the top of which Tenchi took a moment to casually smile.

"Finally slowing down? Eh Grandpa?"

He had blinked even as he said it, because the old man was simply gone!

Tenchi's mind had only started framing the disappearance when a booted foot connected firmly with his posterior.

"No." Katsuhito countered softly, inches from his ear.

Tenchi had instantly whirled, sword extended. His 'roundhouse' swing intercepted almost casually as for the briefest of instants they again stood, eyes locked together over crossed boken.

"Damn sloppy." Grandpa muttered, before shoving Tenchi violently backwards forcing him to tumbling off balance.

Or so it seemed...

Less than a heart beat later, a tactfully extended leg hooked his opponent's left ankle and Tenchi had the satisfaction of hearing a mild gasp as the older man lost his footing.

Rolling to his feet, dropping into a workable attack / defense stance, just as his Grandfather recovered with his usual alarming speed. Insuring again the two faced, some distance apart, each studying his opponent.

Behind his guard, Katsuhito had seemed hesitant in that instant. Yet, years of these sessions gave Tenchi, 'some' ability to read most of his grandfather's moves. Though at times even that seemed in of itself 'an elaborate feint'.

When it came to Grandpa, Tenchi had learned always, to err on the side of paranoia.

As he stared, the short distance between them had allowed him to note the pupils of his grandfather's eyes 'narrowing' ever so slightly. An effect similar to when anyone's eyes were exposed to a sudden flash of light.

In this case however, the direct effect of that minor dilation prompted the small hairs on Tenchi's neck to begin an electric dance. Sufficient warning for him to erect his own defense an instant before a brilliant flash of light erupted to his right. As an incoming clod of earth easily the size of Tenchi's head suddenly exploded against his light hawk shield.

The hard cast of Katsuhito's maroon eyes had 'softened' ever so slightly. The ghost of an approving smile dancing on his lips, permitting Tenchi a small feeling of pleasure.

Prompting in turn however the air around him to explode from multiple impacts. Clearly, however Tenchi had not dropped his guard, as slowly from the center of a maelstrom of earthen debris, he had emerged.

Deflecting a last incoming missile with almost an indifferent swing.

"Enough!" Katsuhito intoned softy as all about the clearing, chunks of rock, earth and fair sized logs, halted then abruptly fell. Leaving his grandson only slightly ruffled from the effort.

"I believe you may, at last be starting to learn." Katsuhito said, his gruff tone and manner betraying as usual nothing.

As he adjusted his glasses before suddenly turning away.

"Huh?" Tenchi had murmured aloud as his grandfather continued away.

Crossing the clearing toward the distant shed, signaling training was complete for now. Having only just gotten started, Tenchi was understandably confused.

There was no way you could have convinced him his grandfather had been tired, or was 'slowing down', again he simply knew better.

A small noise just then to his left had instructed that he glance the indicated direction, the reason grandfather had stopped practice early becoming abundantly clear.

Maintaining a respectfully distance from the training area, Ayeka, was resplendently dressed as always.

Set off that day however by thousands of hand embroidered bead patterns, streaming from hem and cuffs from a predominately-dark indigo colored gown. Accentuating her beautifully light completed skin.

The usually twin ankle-length hair trains she commonly favored were replaced by possibly as many as fifty French braids laid in concentric rings, holding her hair in place to just above center of her back.

The total effect, stunning. Making her look, nothing less than what she was, a princess.

Her outfit however commanded far less attention than the intensity of her gaze. Her eyes were gleaming like rubies in the morning light. Ayeka appeared to his reckoning to be slightly out of breath. On of her delicate hands clutching her collar as she watched him excitedly. The intensity of her gaze had bothered Tenchi somewhat at that moment, though he had not found her scrutiny completely unpleasant.

"My Lord Tenchi." Ayeka almost gasped.

The first princess had one of the oddest voices Tenchi had always thought. Pleasant, downright melodic for the most part when Ayeka maintained a normal conversational tone that is. Get her even the least 'riled' however and...

Well, a dentist drill would seem soothing by comparison.

Elegantly bowing, a Japanese custom she had adopted, Ayeka then made way toward him. Each and every stride chosen with utmost care till she had again paused at what he could tell was a carefully measured distance away. Before executing a second graceful bow, this time, extending her arms towards him.

"I thought you might be hungry!" She told him carefully.

Almost concealed within her elaborate sleeves were two square bundles, tied in what Tenchi could already tell were very extravagant wraps.

Bowing automatically himself to receive them, he paused, noting curiously that Ayeka seemed to be trembling.

"I wonder if she's tried cooking again?" He thought unpleasantly, already mentally 'bracing' to endure an afternoon of indigestion, if indeed that were so.

Leaning close as he was, Tenchi caught the aroma of her perfume. Instantly further focusing his attention, immediately recognizing 'Dark Moon Woo' a fragrance which he only recognized because it was one Kiyone always wore.

A bit of a shock, as Tenchi distinctly remembered remarking to Key only recently then, that he liked the scent!

"Yes?" Ayeka asked hesitantly. Forcing he realize he'd been 'bowing' longer than was proper.

"Oregoto Ayeka" Tenchi had said, mentally kicking himself while attempting to recover.

"And I'm certain they'll be delicious!" He added tactful, perhaps a bit too elaborately, again in retrospect.

Hey, hind sight as they say is always twenty/twenty. But as they both straitened, he had then noticed Ayeka's face more then slightly flushed.

Glancing over his shoulder at that moment had given him a moment to consider. It had also allowed him to break eye contact. Moreover, automatically 'sighting' grandfather where Katsuhito stood toweling himself, Tenchi had been very glad to be able to share what was certain to be another intense culinary adventure, as misery loves company to be sure.

"And I'm certain grandpa's hungry as well!" He said buoyantly without looking directly at her. It was clear that he had not been 'thinking strait'. Not that, that was any attempt at an excuse for his being just plain dense.

"Oh?" Ayeka had answered lightly. Too quickly, he only now realized, once again in retrospect.

"Well, why don't you go see?" She added pleasantly. Tenchi did remembered vividly however, glancing at her, noticing Ayeka's eyes were misty behind a very sweet little smile.

He'd been ... too preoccupied at the time to notice. The sight of Ayeka had set him to thinking.

...

In the aftermath of his home coming, 'It had only been a few weeks at that time'. Tenchi had steadily become aware of a certain 'restlessness' in everyone, himself included.

The events which had occurred over a solid year inside of 'Haruna's world' which Tenchi only really knew about because his family and friends had related the information to him. Was less than a distant dream in his mind.

Only certain impressions ... feelings and a vague general sense of ... something? Were all that remained. The plethora of actual dreams and occasional nightmares resulting had been almost as unsettling as knowing that someone, some 'thing' had lifted him clean out of his life for slightly over a year.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.