Tenchi Muyo (All Good Things) - Cover

Tenchi Muyo (All Good Things)

Copyright© 2009 by Dreaming Bear

Chapter 16: Contractual Agreements

"But, we don't have a car." Katsuhito stated, patiently perplexed.

"Respectfully sir." Wataru replied apologetically. "I understand that, but please try and bear with me." Seated at the low table inside Lord Katsuhito's personal quarters, head bowed respectfully. Wataru realized his face must be beet-red by now. He found the surroundings as tastefully understated as their inhabitant.

"The station which provides my funding is currently ranked 43rd in the nation." He continued. "Well, this year is the first time they've had a chance to 'waltz' you might say with any big name sponsors'. So they are understandable anxious to keep them happy!"

"Be that as it may." Katsuhito patiently observed. "I fail to understand, what 'a tire company'" He mildly grimaced at the concept, "Would possible gain from being associated with Masaki shrine!" Brows furrowed, Katsuhito sat back, his expression unreadable. His posture however suggested obvious displeasure.

"It's a complicated issue sir," Wataru continued wishing he could just have somehow avoided this. "I'm not one hundred percent certain, I understand all the 'ins and outs' of it myself." He paused briefly then, gathering his resolve. "Our sponsor produces many products." Wataru pressed grimly onward.

"In a perfect world that would be enough. However, for the most part such goods are I am embarrassed to say are virtually identical to those made by other, rival companies. It is therefore necessary for each, to have their goods associated with as many broad based public entities as possible. Anything considered current and trendy or in this case with an historical significance of some kind. Doing so allows gaining what is referred to as marketing leverage." Wataru took a moment to breathe, hoping his explanation didn't sound as ludicrous to Katsuhito as it always had to him!

"This is why a Surfboard manufacturer for instances, might associate itself with a particular beach or recognizable coastline." He continued. "Or say, a soft drink company, with a type of current music or dance. Allowing one's products to be used in such settings looks trendy or simply more interesting to a larger target group." During Wataru's oratory, Katsuhito had sat quietly, looking mildly 'stricken'. Fairly certain he had understood everything that had been said of course. Then however, a second opinion never hurt. It was time therefore, he decided, leaning over to whip out the spare brain.

"Did you understand any of that, my dear?" He asked grimly.

"Seems pretty straightforward to me." Washu answered, kneeling a few feet away, resplendent in a blue fade washed formal kimono with a reversed washed white crab motif, which set off her flaming red hair to good effect. "My question is," She continued, producing a white silk fan with a snap of her wrist. "What's in it for us if we comply?"

"Oh!" Wataru said, taken slightly aback. Of course he'd 'noticed her the second Katsuhito had ushered him inside, doing his level best not to stare, as she was serving them tea. A man would have to be made of solid stone not to appreciate such beauty! For such a young girl though, she had an unusual, 'mature' quality to her voice and manner.

"So," He added warmly entranced. "Have I now the pleasure of addressing 'guardian' of the purse strings to the households fortunes?" Smiling, reaching out he gently grasped Washu's left hand lifting it as he bent to kiss her on the wrist. "Or possibly one of its many treasures?" He concluded, realizing he was most likely 'laying it on thick' but come on! This little girl was an absolute knock out! "I've never been in the presence of such an attractive young broker." Wataru mused pleasantly, still holding her tiny hand.

"Such a rare gentleman!" Washu breathed hiding her face 'shyly' behind the fan, concealing the smirk she was actually wearing. Peering covertly over it however treating Wataru to a show of her beautiful emerald eyes before a protracted sigh from head of the table signaled she had better 'pick up the slack'. "But please, good sir," She added in calculated breathless tones. "Don't think I'm so naïve to let your continental charms distract me from my question?"

"Not at all." Wataru answered entranced, never breaking eye contact. "I, I'm just a great admirer of such innocent, unspoiled beauty." This time the noise spontaneously erupting sounded more suspiciously like a gag, barely suppressed as Katsuhito suddenly seeming afflicted with a fit of coughing, drawing an immediate scowl of, concern perhaps? from Washu.

"Would you like some more tea, Dear?" She asked, a strained look of politeness on her face as she carefully reclaimed her hand. "It might help you with that unfortunate cough?!"

"Yes, thank you, that would be nice." Katsuhito gruffed, somewhat oddly Wataru thought. Waiting as Washu poured before he tried to continue.

"The real beauty of this is," He paused splitting gaze between Katsuhito and glancing at Washu. "No one has to do anything special!" Watching in mute amazement as 'the girl' unfolded her fan, raising the arm over and behind her head in what appeared to be a formalized yet carefully concealed 'stretch'. "Bad Wataru! Bad!" He mentally chastised himself. The girl could not have been older than thirteen, tops! In spite of any signals, she might be unconsciously putting off!

"Just allow some of the sponsor's products to be filmed and photographed in and around the shrine." He continued, feeling mildly like a heel for his mental slip as Washu glanced noticing the momentary intensity of his gaze, prompting she take refuge again behind her fan.

"I don't believe this!" She thought slightly panicked. "I'm actually blushing! This guy's good!" He was young, reasonably good looking and after all, she also, wasn't made of stone. "Sounds a little tacky!" Washu quipped suddenly however, recovering to glance over at where Katsuhito sat, as usual solemn and enigmatic, more than likely privately reproachful of her 'flirting'.

"I'm afraid, I must agree with lady Washu's assessment." Katsuhito finally grumbled, his tone, while confirming her hypothesis prompted Wataru to rapidly 'change gears'.

"I of course understand your concerns." Wataru said, thinking, "Time to pull out the big guns! These people aren't stupid!"

"We would certainly want to fairly compensate you for the use of the shrines image." He continued. "With a small donation to the shrine itself, of course."

"How 'small', are we talking here?" Washu shot in bluntly, unable to restrain her curiosity.

"200,000 yen." He stated flatly without so much as a trace of the smirk he was wearing mentally. By way of a response, Katsuhito had a spasm violent enough to spit tea back into his cup. "Got'em!" Wataru thought buoyantly.

"Well now..." Katsuhito said recovering. "That seems certainly fair."

"Yes!" Wataru elated privately.

"I do, however," Katsuhito added after a moment. "Have some stipulations."

"Oh?" Wataru asked brightly, thinking. "Oh swell!"

"I have no objection to your products being used with the shrine's image, in still photography. However, I will not allow such use within the documentary you are shooting. I feel strongly that to allow such would be a grave distortion of image, history and the facts and might damage the reputation and thus the honor of the shrine!"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.