Tenchi Muyo (All Good Things) - Cover

Tenchi Muyo (All Good Things)

Copyright© 2009 by Dreaming Bear

Chapter 140: The Grand Marshal

"What I would like to know!" Misaki conferred angrily as she fairly stalked along besides Azusa.

"Is how they always seemed to know our comings and goings!"

They were moving towards 'the boardwalk' that spanned the small section lake almost touching the house. Now surrounded by a healthy selection of the imperial guard.

"Come now good wife." Azusa soothed, seeming far less concerned.

"They most certainly have their sources as indeed do we."

Misaki seemed to consider, digesting his words for a moment. Of course it was only natural for the supreme commander of the Tanzuru to take such matters very personally. How could she not?

"But we were most careful to specifically conceal this operation beloved." She muttered softly.

"Possibly it is the movements of the imperial dreadnought." Funaho walking next to her speculated quietly.

"Even with the most elaborate cloaking the passage of so large a vessel leaves its queues."

"Undoubtedly." Azusa nodded.

"Like either of you are experts on the matter!" Misaki softly snapped.

"This happens to be my responsibility!"

"And why of course you take it so personally my dear!" Azusa smiled.

"Yet I believe in this case, call it 'a feeling' really." He glanced at Ena, who instantly snorted at any notion of his clairvoyance.

"That there is a simpler explanation than merely some failure on your part or even the forces you command dear wife!"

From Ena, Azusa turned his eyes to regard Kiyone standing only a few feet away.

"I know nothing about this!" Key gasped after a moment of this observation. Having of course over heard.

"You'll forgive me if that hardly dispels the specter of my suspicions." Azusa mused darkly.

He appeared not at all angered however even as the basal drone of a gravimetric engine became steadily more audible.

"Then if not in you then most certainly your partner!" Azusa continued, turning his gaze to where Mihoshi now stood, tightly hanging on to Nobuyuki's arm.

Key and Miho spared each other a single glance, both wondering on the slight feeling of embarrassment they were entertaining.

After all they were officers of the Galaxy Police! Informing their superiors in any fashion possible had only been their duty.

"They have arrived..." Funaho informed unnecessarily as over a thousand tons of extraterrestrial technology soared gracefully into view overhead.

A GP-XTT, the first Kiyone had seen since her days in the academy, slid in at a wide descending crescent.

Turning to set down just the other side of the split rail fence.

Its main departure ramp 'deploying' even before eight massive 'landing boots' firmly kissed the ground.

It's purely convenient orientation to the paved road bringing a slight smile as Key considered. The GP Extreme Troop Transporter easily straddled both lanes.

The act of dropping the main ramp also wasn't lost on her, there would be more than two hundred ground reconnaissance, 'a fancy word for infantry', armed and at ready just inside!

Though at present only a single figure was descending the ramp.

Key felt her throat involuntarily tighten, not that she was really that surprised upon the identity of who's boots just then stepped down on to Terran soil. The gravity of the situation here certainly suggested the possibility.

Confirmation of the Jurian Emperor's presence here would have overwhelmingly demanded it.

The simple fact that Mihoshi was here as well however almost guaranteed the Grand Marshal would eventually arrive. No matter how many regulations the act officially violated.

She was his grand daughter after all.

Key spent the next few minutes preparing. Agonizing over not being in a proper uniform!

The one that she was wearing was nice! But it was non regulation and too damn snug!

When the news that the brass was about to shine, she had ran like her ass had suddenly caught flame!

After sprinting upstairs, then nearly having a coronary finding the tailored uniform she had worn at the wedding was gone! Her nervous breakdown was promptly interrupted when a retainer had knocked almost immediately. Delivering the Uniform now cleaned and pressed.

Kiyone only now suspected the Emperor might have had some hand in the tailoring. Perhaps she was being paranoid in retrospect. After the near collision with that dress this morning. If you could even properly call it one. She was inclined to error on the side of caution.

She wouldn't now have put beyond Azusa to have arranged her 'fitting' to better check out her goods!

She had then tried desperately to locate Mihoshi. By the time she had searched the house and the immediate area. One of the Tanzuru had informed her that 'Officer Kuramitsu', using the man's own words. Was entertaining her gentleman friend in the staging pavilion.

It was without further ado that Kiyone had ran like a madwoman, up the hill to that giant tent still at the rest stop.

"So ... your not angry at me?" Those were the first words Kiyone had over heard. As she had finally arrived.

"No, not a chance!" What Key was still adjusting to as Nobuyuki's voice replied.

"Your just a free spirit, like Ryoko." He added as Kiyone was attempting to catch her breath.

"Course. I'm not going to be able to ever drive that car now without thinking..."

"MIHOSHI!" Key finally managed to gasp. Unceremoniously ripping open the flap to glare at the two of them.

Key managed another lung full. Staring At Where Miho was sitting slightly side ways in a chair. Both of her legs situated over top of Nobuyuki's lap. The two of them gazing back at her sudden intrusion with mild curiosity at best.

"Key?" Mihoshi finally asked. Staring at her partner with some concern. "Are you ok?"

"GP is here!" Kiyone managed to gasp. "Gonna arrive ... Maybe fifteen minutes!"

Mihoshi stared back for a moment. Blinking uncomprehendingly.

"Who's Jeepea?" She asked, clearly not getting it.

Just as Kiyone was struggling to draw a stabilizing breath to elaborate, Miho suddenly started in place, her mouth falling open in shock.

"OH!" She yelped, instantly reclaiming her legs. "GP!"

"Uh..." Nobuyuki attempted As Mihoshi was suddenly in motion.

"Com'on Yuki!" She called over her shoulder as she was already out the door.

Unfortunately, by the time Key had managed getting back down the hill. The faint sound of the descending transport was already audible. Leaving Mihoshi to bite the bullet and Kiyone to contemplate the consequences. She had plenty of time too in that respect at least.

The interval necessary for a man easily over two hundred galactic standard years old to make his way from the road to their end of the boardwalk.

Still, Kiyone had to admit, he cut a handsome figure. Tall and regal in his fashion.

Oddly reminding her of the recruiting poster seen so long ago, on the day she'd decided to join.

"Emperor Azusa!" The grand marshal spoke at last. Stopping a few feet respectfully away.

"Grand marshal Kuramitsu." Azusa nodded equally respectful. Having gone as far to have taken several steps away from the cordon surrounding him to formally greet the man who had come alone.

"Let me be the first to offer my humble regrets as to what must seem a gross intrusion into the commonwealth's territories!" The grand marshal continued gravely. Choosing obviously 'to cut to the chase' as Ayeka, using her 'Earthisms' might put it.

"Nonsense!" Azusa smiled tactfully in return.

"Their are no formal borders declared against our long standing allies."

"Never the less your grace." The grand marshal continued carefully.

"There has been some miscommunication as to the nature of this gathering.

Headquarters received an anonymous report. Nothing specific, hinting at some large scale incursion here."

He paused regarding Azusa evenly.

"Due to our long standing treaties with the Jurian Empire ... We of the league thought it only best to vigorously investigate the situation!"

The Emperor just smiled. Thinking that having ventured this far into a clear protectorate zone of the Empire then to find not only a lions share of the Jurain fleet but his august presence, certainly must count for something magnitudes higher than mere 'chagrin'.

It wasn't as if after becoming mutually aware of each other the GP fleet could smile collectively and confess to have made a wrong turn.

"And 'we' are of course flattered that our friends of the league would honor us with..." Azusa paused searching for something appropriate.

"So massive a display of solidarity." The Emperor added mildly.

"We live but to serve!" The grand marshal intoned, bowing slightly.

"And to further demonstrate our resultant gratitude." Azusa continued formally.

"Allow me to be the first to inform our esteemed allies, of the most blessed events of these past few days! The marriage of my eldest daughter to a most suitable heir!"

Even given his obvious desire for diplomacy, the Grand marshal was still visibly taken aback by the announcement. You could almost see the gears turning in the mans mind as he digested this latest atomic tidbit.

"Well then..." The grand marshal continued with some effort. Recovering amiably while keeping his obvious astonishment under the most rigid control.

"It appears I must then offer my heart felt congratulations on behalf of the league!"

"Most unfortunate." He added, smiling darkly.

"That we could not have been notified in advance. I'm certain we would have certainly had someone in attendance at such a blessed event!"

"Ah, yes. That is regrettable." Azusa shrugged mildly.

"But I'm certain the grand marshal understands the capricious nature of youths this day and age?"

The Emperor leaned closer, his voice dropping slightly in volume.

"One must strike while the iron is hot!" He concluded in a loud whisper.

A short distance away Tenchi Just stared. Knowing that his mouth must be hanging open.

A single glance to his immediate left confirmed a rare circumstance indeed which found Ayeka, Sasami, Ryoko and Kiyone had adopted the same dubious expression.

"Of all the bleeding nerve." Tenchi muttered.

"Small wonder why Tenchi became such a good farmer." Ryoko muttered listlessly.

"Yes," Kiyone sighed continuing the thought completely deadpanned. "Obviously spreading manure runs in the family."

"I would like to take this opportunity." Sasami added dryly. "To profusely apologize on behalf of my bloodline."

"Well put sister dear." Ayeka finished tiredly.

"Still, all is not lost." Azusa continued after a moment.

"I believe the league had more than adequate representation in the form of Officers Makibi and Kuramitsu, during the blessed event!"

"Ah!" The grand marshal beamed, apparently pleased with this assessment.

"Most assuredly! I take it then you found them of service your grace?"

"They were virtual paragons of diplomacy." Azusa pronounced emphatically. Allowing his gaze to come to rest directly upon Kiyone where she stood alongside Tenchi.

"And the very soul of congeniality." He concluded. Delighted at how her posture instantly stiffened.

"I'm most gratified that your majesty found them of value!" The grand marshal smiled, apparently blissfully unaware.

"Yes." Azusa nodded.

"And ... I myself am looking forward to further demonstrations of selfless devotion in the near future!"

The Emperor averted his eyes from Key if only to keep from further inflaming her.

Unable however to repress a lusty sigh of appreciation of the fire he had seen in her eyes!

"Easy..." Tenchi muttered out the side of his mouth watching her bristle.

"I am anything but!" Kiyone hissed, just managing to keep her place, eyeing the Emperor angrily.

"Well then, if everything is in order your grace?" The grand marshal continued. Brow's only slightly furrowing at the Emperor's odd demeanor. Not that he was inclined to pry!

"And if our immediate exchange is sufficient?" He paused, even as Azusa nodded his consent.

"I beg to confer with my officers."

Having already given leave, the emperor politely backed a single step, allowing the grand marshal to turn, proceeding directly to where Mihoshi nervously stood.

The relief washing over Kiyone was almost palatable. Even if it was less than protocol his bypassing addressing her first. Her field experience easily made her the ranking officer.

She gladly welcomed a few additional moments to cool down. Rather than letting the Grand marshal of the Galaxy police get a whiff of what a certain detective first class was evilly contemplating.

She was certain however that 'Slapping the Jurian Emperor out of his boots' would most certainly constitute an intergalactic incident!

A gasp escaped as Mihoshi hastily disengaged from Nobuyuki. Snapping to attention before his approach.

"Sir! Detective first class Mihoshi Kuramitsu reporting sir!" Miho intoned dutifully.

The grand marshal's response was to halt, surveying her coolly.

Eyes traveling down her length, from hot pink house robe to bare feet. The left one rapidly crossing over to cover the right as Miho remembered Nobuyuki had just painted her toenails only an hour ago!

"You are out of uniform ... detective." The grand marshal noted sternly.

"Yes ... sir." Mihoshi croaked embarrassed her gaze falling to her feet as well.

"I'm sorry sir."

A sigh escaped as 'the old man' straitened to his full height.

"Might I remind you, that you are a representative of the Galaxy police?" He asked coldly.

"On special assignment here as liaison to the Jurian empire?"

"Yes sir." Mihoshi replied weakly.

"A rather important assignment, I'm sure you'd agree."

"Yes sir."

"This sort of..." He gestured to her, the curt motion degenerating into a sort of helpless wave at her current state of attire.

"Behavior!" He continued apparently at a loss. "Is ... unorthodox! To say the very least!"

"Yes sir." Miho repeated quietly. Fidgeting miserably.

"I'm afraid under the circumstances," The grand marshal continued, slowly shaking his head sadly.

"I've no other recourse."

"Yes sir!" Mihoshi nodded, drawing a deep breath before straitening to full attention.

"I understand sir and am prepared to receive my punishment sir!"

The grand marshal surveyed her sternly for perhaps a full minute. Before, his control finally broke and his face lapsed into a smile.

"Why don't you start by giving your grand marshal a hug?"

"GRANDPA!" Mihoshi answered with a gasped that was half confused and outraged. Looking at him totally astonished.

"That's a direct order, by the way" He added, smile never wavering.

She continued to regard him crossly for some moments, before lapsing into her own helpless smile.

Taking the necessary step forward to at last place arms around him.

"Oh! You're terrible!" She complained.

"Am I now?" he muttered holding her close.

"You scared the living daylights out of me just!" Mihoshi told him as she released him, stepping back.

"And it's fortunate for you that I was able to intervene!" The grand Marshal replied, turning at once serious.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.