Tenchi Muyo (All Good Things) - Cover

Tenchi Muyo (All Good Things)

Copyright© 2009 by Dreaming Bear

Chapter 14: Day 2 - Mixed Media

Day 2: part 1: Mixed Media.

"Now that's what I, would call perfection!" Wataru stated ecstatically, nodding with his eyes closed, standing at the last rise of the ancient stairs. Just before the actual terrace upon which Old Masaki Shrine rested, in all its simple grandeur. He was a man of deep unremitting passion.

"The roof is actual terracotta!" He continued, almost weeping with unbridled joy. "Line and arrangement of the buildings, classic fourteenth century!" He paused, eyes hungrily scanning every conceivable detail.

"My god! Even the ceremonial archway is classic!" He exclaimed, embracing the 'Torii' or 'spirit gate's' right side, actually caressing it with his cheek. "And look here!" He breathed.

"Its been recently repaired!" his fingers traced fondly over an almost invisible imperfection in the right hand column. "All new elements skillfully honed to exactly replicate craftsmen techniques all but lost!" Releasing the archway, Wataru flung wide his arms as if to now embrace the entirety of the scene.

"Who could do such things?" He wondered aloud with awe. "Why one must be a god himself! Or an architect sent from the heavens!"

"Yeah, Yeah, whatever." A voice from a few feet behind asserted acidly. "Let's just hope these hicks have in-door plumbing."

Petra took the last step up then past Wataru with some visible relief, tiredly punctuating his statement with a flip of his lit cigarette butt. Finding the peaceful surroundings, not to mention the just completed fifteen-minute climb, about inspiring as a canceled check.

"So, if you're done weeping and prancing!" He sniffed "Let's find the damn monk, so we can get this over with and I can get the hell back out of the sticks!" One could almost hear the balloon 'pop' as Wataru deflated, rapidly bending to retrieve the still smoldering butt from the walkway.

"Lord Katsuhito is a Shinto priest of an ancient order, you jackass!" He snapped a look of deep outrage etching itself upon his face, fretting over the ashes. "Try and show some respect!" He complained, then ground out the butt between his fingers, before pocketing the offending object.

"Buddy, I don't know Shinto from Bento!" Petra drew himself to his full five foot seven inches, looking deliberately down his nose at the older man. "And frankly don't care!" he added dryly. "Speaking of which, I just hope those box lunches that idiot gopher of yours picked up are edible!"

"Miss Moi is a third year journalism student, sent by the station's owner!" Wataru gritted his teeth. "Her job, is to provide background info on the shrine and its customs! In the hopes you won't wind up making an even bigger ass of yourself on camera!" He then eyed Petra with open disgust. "She's not here to fetch cappuccino and cigarettes! You, third rate coffee house hack!"

"Is there something I can help you gentlemen with?" An unexpected but familiar third voice interrupted, causing both men to turn beholding Lord Katsuhito, his usual flawless image of composure, standing only a few feet away.

"Lord Masaki Katsuhito!" Wataru exclaimed excitedly, dismissing the actor, immediately stepping forward before executing a formal bow while Petra remained in place characteristically, rolling his eyes. "You have no idea what a tremendous pleasure it is to finally make your acquaintance!"

"Well, yes." Katsuhito responded, quickly returning the bow, though not as deeply, obviously slightly perplexed. "You seemed to have me at a disadvantage." He mused pleasantly. "Nevertheless, welcome to Masaki shrine!" Straitening he was unable to keep from looking curiously at the pair. "I take it then, you have some sort of business with me?"

"Yes sir!" Wataru piped up enthusiastically. "You see, we called you last month and asked permission to film the shrine, for a documentary on the Shinto religion?" Katsuhito actually blinked.

"Ahh!" He said quickly. "Of course!" Then paused. "But only now that you mentioned it," He continued sheepishly after a noticeable interval. "I'm afraid it must have slipped my mind." He finished with a nervous laugh.

"How shocking." Petra added dryly.

"Well, if our being here today is inconvenient sir," Waturu replied, shooting Petra a sideways hostile glance of warning. "We could always reschedule?" In spite of all politeness, Wataru quietly prayed. Their finances already were strained' to the breaking point. Moreover, spending another night in 'the microbus from hell' didn't exactly thrill him to death.

"Oh! Of course!" Petra snorted, indicating the vacant steps behind. "Wouldn't want to interfere with the burgeoning throngs pushing up here to worship!" The comment prompting a somewhat strangled wheezing issued from vicinity of Waturu's throat and the barest hint of a wane smile upon Katsuhito's lips.

"Well, as your young friend has pointed out," Katsuhito replied, taking it all in stride. "We're not overly busy at the moment." He paused, seeming to glance about before his gaze again settled upon Wataru. "I don't see why today wouldn't be as good as any?"

"Arigato! Katsuhito Sama!" A relived Wataru said bowing gratefully. "We'll try to stay out from under foot!" He added with Petra's only response being yet another derisive snort.

"If you will accompany me then." Katsuhito gestured after straightening to full height. "We can discus your needs over tea."

"Splendid!" Wataru exclaimed, his mind racing excitedly. Actually having tea in the priest private quarters! Let his old buddy Akogi match that! He cackled mentally with unbridled glee. All those months of 'brown nosing and pride swallowing' were starting to pay off!

"But no-one has ever filmed the Shine of the mound in Okayama!" Waturu remembered the day in the station manager's office vividly, the moment in particular when he had finally gotten 'the old mans' attention.

"Eh?" Yahns Koto had actually looked up, after pronouncing the whole 'mystery of Misaki shrine' pitch as a complete waste of time. "No one?" He grunted, now clearly focused. Waturu knew from long experience that the old man had 'a thing for firsts'. If for no other reasons, such 'brag rights' always look good on a station marquee.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.