Tenchi Muyo (All Good Things) - Cover

Tenchi Muyo (All Good Things)

Copyright© 2009 by Dreaming Bear

Chapter 117: 'Details, Details'

"I'm surprised they're allowing us so much time together really." Tenchi huffed.

Sparing only a few glances the direction of the massive tent the Jurian's had set up in the vicinity.

Noting with some amazement something which had been absent only yesterday now towered over and almost completely engulfed most of the old rest stop.

"Don't they have some traditions about, you know? 'Seeing' the bride before the wedding or some such?" He finished. Deliberately ignoring the now ubiquitous 'shadow' of Tanzuru trailing them.

"What an odd notion." Ayeka mused, eyeing him curiously.

"Surely both the bride and the groom should spend as much time together as possible before hand?"

She paused actually coming to a halt. Taking a moment to glance down at where her small hand all but vanished into his larger yet ever so gentle grip.

Smiling at the simple pleasure of something which only twenty-four hours ago had been all but impossible. Yet now felt so natural.

"How else would they be able to confer over any small details that might crop up before the blessed event?"

"Heh," He snorted mildly.

"Put THAT way, it does seem to make more sense."

"Also," Ayeka continued, understanding his confusion. "In this case especially, there are several things about the ceremony which you must know about?"

She'd seen enough 'soaps' to puzzle over some of the other 'odd' notions, earthlings seemed to suffer from on more than one occasion.

"Such as?" Tenchi chuckled in retort.

Wondering if Ayeka were trying to be funny? Far as 'Jurian' ceremonies of ANY kind went, he knew practically zero.

"Rituals to be observed, so you do not embarrass yourself," She added then paused meaningfully, glancing into his eyes then away.

"Or your family."

"Not to mention you." He supplied mildly.

"So," She shrugged prettily.

"Who better to brief you than she who is to become your partner?"

"Again," He nodded. "That dose make sense."

"And, already you're demonstrating the higher learning curve so important to a new emperor!" Ayeka added brightly.

"Yeah?" He chuckled.

"You're obeying religiously the counsel of your future wife and queen."

"Yes Ma'am!" He nodded with a smile. Having enough sense not to argue.

Tenchi did take a moment to secretly wonder just how much Ayeka was actually kidding. He'd after all seen how fast the emperor had 'snapped to' with Funaho on their last visit!

"So where do we begin?" He finally added.

Privately hoping that this hadn't just been some kind of premonition.

He didn't fancy winding up, what was the term? Pussy whipped?

"With your raiment," Ayeka answered.

Pausing infinitesimally, disturbed mildly about the way he was looking at her just now.

Like Tenchi's mind was somewhere else, intensely concerned about something?

"Early tomorrow," She continued, dismissing the notion even as the 'look' itself about Tenchi's features seemed to vanish.

"You will be ceremoniously led..."

"Briskly escorted." Tenchi interjected, rolling his tongue.

"By Tanzuru honor guard." She continued. Nodding her assent to his choice of terminology with a mildly pained expression.

"To the staging area," Ayeka gestured to the massive tent behind and now slightly below their position.

"Where you will dress in the appropriate robes of office."

"Dose the condemned get a last meal?" Tenchi snorted with a half grin.

"It is assumed you will have already eaten by this point." Ayeka supplied sourly after a brief pause.

"But ... That dose raise an interesting point." She brightened.

"Traditionally, the new wife is supposed to both bathe and dress the Emperor to be!"

"Wow." Tenchi mused, genuinely surprised.

"Before leading him to a sumptuous pre-nuptial breakfast!" Ayeka pressed, happy to have dispelled the sarcastic spirit possessing Tenchi.

"Damn Kiyone and her influence anyway!" She privately grumbled.

Considering also that perhaps, she was being a trifle unfair.

However it seemed that the good constables presence always served to egg on certain characteristics.

"But..." Tenchi muttered appearing suddenly concerned. "Were gonna skip that step tomorrow right?"

"Obviously..." Ayeka returned darkly. Instantly reconsidering her previous notion.

"There will not be sufficient time for me to properly prepare!"

"Or Sasami to 'bail her out in the kitchen." Tenchi kept to himself wisely.

Hey! Ayeka's cooking had improved immensely over the last few years.

It was just hard to get all those mornings of eating peanut butter and jelly for breakfast out of your mind!

Not to mention all the emergency 'decent burials' certain notable dinners had undergone.

The level of skill, or lack there of A certain princess had in the kitchen was a running gag all over Butto! Most likely due to Ryoko's loose lips!

"So, after I'm dressed?" Tenchi pressed, hoping to get past his little faux paw.

"You and your second..." Ayeka sniffed.

"Meaning me and Kiyone." Tenchi interrupted again.

"Yes..." Ayeka countered pointedly.

"Will be escorted to the steps of the shrine where you will begin..." Ayeka trailed off, sighing.

"Don't you have anyone else you could ask to be your second?" She asked tiredly after a moment.

"Like who?" Tenchi wanted to know. "Grandpa's not around and Dad's incapacitated somewhere in one of Washu's labs!"

"Perhaps ... one of your male friends?" Ayeka attempted, growing a tad desperate.

"Did you fall and hit your head when I wasn't looking?" Tenchi gasped.

"Everyone not in the immediate family is asleep!"

"Oh? So she's family now?" The princess hissed uncharitably.

"You want me to ask Mihoshi?" Tenchi asked, semi-threateningly.

Unable to understand what had triggered this or to believe how jealous Ayeka still felt of Key.

His reward was to watch as her eyes widened as 'the threat' penetrated.

"You may have a point there." she reconsidered.

"Better the flatfoot than the meter maid after all!"

The shocked expression the princess was wearing suddenly soured. As the hand Ayeka had brought tentatively to her throat found its way to over her eyes.

"I don't believe it!" She groaned while peeking at him from between her fingers.

"I just quoted Ryoko!"

Smiling while shaking his head, Tenchi clasped a hand gently to the stricken princess's shoulder.

"Your doomed." He announced with feigned earnestness.

"So after I'm all fancied up they'll lead me up the stairs?" Tenchi continued, again hoping to get past the current issue.

"Yes." Ayeka recovered. "At which point the Tazuru will show you appropriate respect."

"By falling on their swords?" Tenchi supplied hopefully.

"Unlikely..." Ayeka sighed, only slightly reproachful at the remark.

"But given the current circumstances one almost can't help but hope."

She paused, composing.

"You and you're, " Another glance.

"Second. Will then proceed to the ceremonial arch where you will be met by the Emperor's personal guard."

"Just how many Tazuru are there by the way?" Tenchi asked suddenly.

"Over fifteen hundred by my last recollection Tenchi." Ayeka told him quietly.

"More than three quarter of that number, will be here under the shield when my father marries us tomorrow beloved."

"Ho, ho hold on one second!" Tenchi suddenly stopped, turning and looking down at Ayeka where she was now standing on the stair just below him.

"You mean you're Father is going to be the one to..."

"Who else has the authority to crown the new emperor?" Ayeka shrugged.

"I don't know..." He admitted, only now really thinking about this particular point.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.