Tenchi Muyo (All Good Things) - Cover

Tenchi Muyo (All Good Things)

Copyright© 2009 by Dreaming Bear

Chapter 106: Misconceptions

"You labor under several misconceptions my dear." Ena gently interrupted causing the images around them momentarily to fade.

"Arin Kagito, I am giving to understand, became fascinated by the holy power. He was 'seduced' some might say by his desire to understand it. His wish to somehow replicate it. Particularly the levels found among the holy trees and wielded by the royal family.

To that end he left his home world initially to study the giant trees of Ryten, before turning his attentions ultimately to the oceans of planet Godan.

Drawn by rumors of creatures there, though only semi-intelligent, who could transform matter to energy and back."

"You mean the mass?" Ryoko ventured.

"Of course." Ena nodded.

"One could postulate it was Kagito's study of them which may have brought him to the attention of..."

She paused going so far as to making 'quotes' with her fingers in the air in the air.

"The greatest scientific genius in the universe." Ena finished dryly. Noting also with amusement at how one of Ryoko's eyes seemed to twitch as she said it.

"That as they say however was before my time." Ena told her. "But only slightly.

The sequence of actual events will probably forever elude us. There simply isn't enough remaining data.

I am given to know however Kagito's family was instrumental in a plot to assassinate Lady Ayeka in the aftermath of the 'Kain' incident.

Azusa returned to find most of the houses in total disarray, their most powerful members wounded or dead from the conflagration. Nearly consumed in what I believe is termed 'a dynastic war'."

"Damn." Ryoko muttered.

"With Aquella dead and the Heir apparent missing..." Ena Nodded agreeably, "Killing the queen would have completely erased the 'then' current power structure.

His family would have taken over and Kagito would have become the new heir apparent and soon after ... Would have seated himself upon the throne.

Only a few minor houses, those that possessed no elements comprising the Jurian military could have stood in their way. And of those only one answered the call to fealty, namely the house of Cameo.

"Ok, Wait just one second here!" Ryoko interrupted pointedly. "Just who the hell IS the house of freaken' Cameo?"

"They are artisans traditionally." Ena sighed. "Those that craft and shape course and fine materials into finished goods for the royal house."

Ryoko sat back, regarding Ena for a moment.

"Let me get this strait." She mumbled suddenly. "Your telling me Kagito's family coup was put down by the hired help?"

"A tad boorish, but essentially correct." Ena shrugged.

"While related and essentially 'noble' as the term could be loosely interpreted. They like many others had severed the thrown faithfully for generations. Occasionally as is the way of things, a member of these 'lesser houses' would rise through favor and marriage. As was the case with Serenade's proposed betrothal."

"You mean little lord Seiryo's momma?" Ryoko prompted.

"Of course..." Ena nodded, as the image of the young man Ryoko had seen half drowned in the 'duel on the dock' floated past an image of the young woman from Ena's earlier vision.

He was ... good looking, Ryoko had to begrudgingly admit. In a 'foppish' sort of fashion. And there was no denying the beauty of Serenade.

Aside from being struck again at the resemblance between mother and son, Ryoko was left wondering if that was really their families natural hair color?

"And as reward..." Ena concluded gravely. "They were granted the total holdings of Kagito's line."

"Trent." Ryoko said suddenly.

"Eh?" Ena looked at her curiously.

"The line of Trent." Ryoko added, mildly despondent.

"I've kind'a noticed, you keep referring to Kagito's family using only his name." She continued after a pause, noting Ena continuing to regard her.

Ryoko then glanced away sharply, muttering. "Not that it matters really."

"I have done so because their proper name was unknown to me." Ena replied succinctly.

"It was completely stricken from the public record and erased from the royal archives."

She paused, taking a breath, seeming slightly disturbed by the facts she were relating.

"Interesting your mentioning it just now."

"Not something I like to think about." Ryoko murmured.

"Yes..." Ena replied softy.

"All the members of his family which survived the counter-coup were given into permanent indenture." she added deciding to press on.

"You mean slaves." Ryoko huffed sullenly as Ena now studied her for a moment, surprised if only mildly at the reaction. At last she found giving a shrug her only recourse.

"Then of course, if you remember..." Ena added slowly, regarding Ryoko evenly. "Came Kagito's turn."

"The day he was directly summoned by the remaining members of the consulate." Ryoko said slowly, as yet again the void about them began to stir.

"It's funny..." She murmured. "But I do remember that!"

"I knew something was definitely up when Arin just called to his side and said that 'we had to go.'" Ryoko's disembodied voice began again.

"The real shocker came with him telling me, that I dress properly and leave Ryo-oki behind.

Obeying the second order was a pain. Oki hates being left out.

The first was almost impossible; Arin literally had to almost dress me, as I had technically never worn

proper clothing before. All those damn buttons!

And once I was effectively attired in more layers of cloth than I had ever even slept under! We transferred from the Soja to Kagito's treeship 'the Dragen'.

The ten-hour trip inward to Jurai was an ordeal ... putting it mildly.

Arin wasn't talking, growing angry every time I even tried getting close, wanting only to lighten his mood.

Finally he excepted, about an hour before actual planet fall. Literally seizing and undressing me right there on the bridge of his ship. Making love to me on the soft grass there under his mammoth tree.

There was ... A intensity I remember in him that was strange to me, disturbing. He clung on as though I was more precious than air.

Thinking back upon it ... I guess it was fear. Arin was afraid. Something I hadn't known in him until that day.

From my uneducated perspective then, it was ... wonderful. Suddenly He needed me! And I was only too happy to give.

I remember that there wasn't a lot of ceremony upon our arrival. The dragen was greeted with a curt efficiency more than an actual welcome. Not that I understood the difference.

I was Hastily re-attired and Arin warned me to take no action without his direct order and to speak only when spoken to!

The landing was ... dreadful.

We were forced to tranlocate further than a mile walk from our final destination.

The first thing I noticed even before we were ushered into the grand hall of audience was how battered the place seemed. Spiderweb cracks here and there in walls and columns.

I rememberer thinking 'So this is Jurai? Big whoopee-do.'

I myself saw several retainers, cleaning and repairing damage even as we were hurried in to the thrown room.

It was then things started turning decidedly ugly.

Still, I was all a titter really. Having absolutely no clue will do that sort of thing.

Wandering about at his side glorying in just being there with him!

I even remember thinking that we were finally doing something, together!

when a presence upon the central dais we were approaching drew my attention.

She was dressed in black from head to toe, even her face was marginally hidden behind an ebony veil.

Not a huge woman I remember thinking but she seemed to extrude a ... a regality. If thats the word.

She seemed tall and regal to my eyes, even sitting there, surrounded by able-bodied retainers.

At the time of course I couldn't tell a Tanzuru from a headwaiter at a restaurant.

Or that I was looking upon the lady Ayeka, queen of Jurai!"

"My queen!" Kagito began oddly while coming to a halt smartly before her. Clasping a fist respectfully to his breast.

"This summons was most unexpected!" He added respectfully.

"Surprised to see that I'm still alive Arin Kagito?" Lady Ayeka unceremoniously snapped.

Ena raised an eyebrow where she stood observing wryly how Kagito stiffened notably even under the layers of his formal robes.

"I, I know not what you mean?" Kagito attempted when at last he spoke again, giving all the appearance of shock at the queens remark.

"I was merely confused," He continued."I came at once, believing that the conciliate had summoned..."

"And of course you are no doubt!" Ayeka replied harshly as she gestured. "Deeply gratified to find me in such good health!"

It was a simple raising of arm and a sweep of fingers while the queen was speaking.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.