Tenchi Muyo (All Good Things) - Cover

Tenchi Muyo (All Good Things)

Copyright© 2009 by Dreaming Bear

Chapter 102: 'Family Ties.'

"I was tending swine, at the south gate well after sunset." Ena continued as the new scene all about them became stable.

Even if the location was different, Ryoko could still see the humble family dwelling in the distance behind. As the young Blue woman went busily about her chores. Emptying scraps of food into troughs as the swine eagerly converged on their banquet.

"I was enjoying the music of crickets singing to the night, when suddenly ... impossibly, someone called my name!

I cursed myself Instantly as a fool! while At first scrambling to raise my hood.

Before the 'shock set in, enough that I realized not only was the voice familiar but its author had addressed me in Galactic common!

As I finally turned to the source, it was in the heights of the most profound surrealism that I beheld Misaki!

Walking towards me from the woods in full Tanzuru splendor!"

Ryoko again felt that all too familiar pang upon seeing the approaching woman.

The younger version of Misaki Juri still looked so much like Sasami it triggered a sharp welling of homesickness that was difficult to shunt easily aside.

It felt like ages since she had seen ... any of them! Perhaps in a strange way it was.

It was only at that moment however she seemed to consider how precious her adopted family had become.

"How long I stood regarding her in amazed wonder I can not now recall." Ena supplied.

"Until she at last decided to speak."

"It's been awhile hasn't it?" Misaki spoke softly, actually smiling as she observed Ena from the fences other side.

"I must say, You look well." She continued, almost casually. Either choosing to ignore or being blithely oblivious to how agog the object of her attentions was.

"After our parting behind the palace at Jurihelm," Ena supplied directly.

"I'll admit I was utterly astonished to detect not a hint of hostility in her gaze or manner. In fact...

There was a solemness to the set of those lovely eyes. A tinge of unhappiness hovering about her features which seemed to have nothing to do with me in the slightest.

Or so was my impression at the time."

"Please go tell Azusa," Misaki continued after the fore mentioned pause.

"His mother craves an immediate audience."

"The statement was delivered so succinctly, so matter of fact, I confess all I could manage to do in response was nod mutely. Before turning, almost running back with the news!

My beloved received the revelation with an icy calm, rivaling Misaki's.

Merely nodding slowly, before rising from his chair. Almost as if he'd known.

I of course found the whole situation slightly embarrassing, being clairvoyant after all!

Sensing my unrest perhaps, Azusa told me while donning the Jacket the girls had sewn for him, that he'd simply known they would eventually find us.

All before stepping out into the night air.

The sense of solemnity held as he gazed then expectantly towards the south gate for a time.

Most of the family began gathering behind, on or about the modest porch where possible.

Curious as to this disruption to the evening meal.

My beloved stood quietly for several minutes regarding the woods beyond the fence from the house's porch, his expression, unreadable.

More than anything ... I believe he, like myself knew.

Our time upon this lovely world, and indeed that is how we had come to regard our small portion of this island earth, was coming to a close.

"Please show yourselves," Azusa addressed the darkness lightly.

"We are all family here."

"No further prompting was required for the woods to 'come alive'!"

Even Ryoko had to admit being impressed as suddenly it seemed Tanzuru stepped from behind almost every tree.

Only the span of a few moments were required for the population of the humble farm to swell to more than a thousand individuals! Within the confines of the small porch a profound hush pervaded as the entire household vied for viewing space.

Ryoko noticed as Azusa pulled Funaho into his shadow to the left, allowing Tanya, second to the oldest to actually flank him.

Aflame with an excitement born of curiosity and mixed with an understandable helping of fear, the second sister viewed the rapidly encroaching, predominantly male throng breathlessly.

"Just look at them Key!" Tanya sighed, with what Ryoko could easily identify as a note of lust.

"Acres of them!"

"And tall as the trees they were hiding behind!" Loe readily agreed to the left of her elder sibling.

Ryoko smiled, she couldn't really blame them. After all what were a young womans prospects out in the sticks?

"And The men are just as pretty as the girls!" Key finally added.

As more and more able-bodied protectors made way inwards it seemed Azusa however had eyes only for one figure as she too smoothly approached.

"Misaki..." He smiled, eyes almost growing misty regarding her.

A sentiment that she clearly shared. Stopping less than a stone throw away, eyes shining with radiance born of her passion.

"My lord Azusa." Masaki intoned. Taking a last step before promptly falling to one knee before him. Fixing her gaze firmly upon the ground at his feet.

Delighted as he was, even Ryoko could see Azusa was still taken aback by the sudden motion.

"Misaki," He hissed, agog and embarrassed but low enough to avoid as many ears as possible.

"You are my personal guardian!" Azusa chastised.

"I told you never to kneel to me!"

"Such a vow made in friendship to an heir apparent," Misaki replied quickly. Never moving from her posture of supplication.

"Surely has no sway when one stand before the emperor to be!"

"The Emperor?" Ena started from her place at Azusa's side. Breaking the stunned moment that had settled.

Looking as if a bucket of ice water had just been throw in her face as well when she then gasped.

"Azusa? What is she saying?" Seeing even as she asked that his feature were also frozen with shock.

"Aquella, is dead." A voice announced from behind the throng.

Prompting all eyes to obligingly turn, seeking the speaker like iron fillings to a magnet.

Moving slowly through the assembly, arrayed head to toe in robes of purest black, the royal lady Ayeka was a commanding sight.

Striding elegantly along a corridor formed by Tanzuru flanking her to ether side.

Azusa stood frozen in place at the rail of the porch, the pronouncement still echoing brutally yet somehow unregistered within his mind.

It was what floated in silent affirmation beside and slightly behind the approaching form of his mother however which served to turn his blood colder than naked space.

Flanking the queen, the airborne forms of the ancient imperial guardians, Kamora and Yudon glided in solemn counter point.

In spite of the somber tone of the moment, Ryoko found herself instantly fascinated.

Far older than Ayeka's guardians, each of the floating stylized machines was configured to resemble an ancient tribal war mask. Sporting two sensor 'eyes' instead of Asaka or Kamidake's one.

Well ... not exactly.

One of the old 'masks' was missing an eye on its right side.

A series of deep char marks like a frozen ebony explosion radiated from the darkened socket.

Blackening most of that side of its carved face as well.

Deep gouges in the hyper-dense wood appearing in other locations further attested the guardian's grievous molestation.

While showing none of the external damage which marred its companion.

The opposing golden eyed mask seemed to be having trouble staying smoothly in motion.

Displaying a pronounced 'shudder' whenever it had to change vector.

The sight of the guardians trailing the Queen, their horrific condition plus the simple knowledge that they NEVER, as a pair were parted from Aquella's side. Added to the look of absolute weariness pervading his mother.

The combined force of these elements, piercing Azusa's heart more surely than the sharpest blade.

It was only the sudden pressure of Funaho gently squeezing his hand which brought Azusa suddenly back. Or at least his eyes seemed to regain their focus as Ryoko noted him glancing about.

Possibly Wondering how long he had been standing there?

The gentle warmth of Ena at his side seemed to further anchor him. Though when next he spoke, Azusa's voice seemed flat and emotionless.

"How?" Ryoko heard him finally ask, with a disturbingly calm.

"He was taken from us," Ayeka replied slowly as she came to a halt some feet away from the homesteads porch. Her own voice, a tired carefully constructed monotone.

"By a monster."

"It seems ... that while I and Azusa sojourned together," Ena supplied directly.

"The empire faced a trial unlike any it had known before..."

"Mother?" Azusa almost begged. The need for some clarity threatening to undermine his current sense of shock induced stability.

"It was a being..." Misaki offered, still kneeling before him.

"Like none ever encountered..."

She seemed then to hesitate, the desire to provide both clarity and comfort at war with her ingrained sense of impropriety at interrupting the Queen.

"A creature known only as Kain..." Masaki added finally.

"Holy shit..." Ryoko muttered softly.

Not really surprised of course. It was just that this was a name one could never hear without feeling a certain tightening about the throat. At least, anyone whom had actually been there. Or that had gone toe to toe with that horror!

Her reaction however drew a sharp glance from where Ena's current incarnation resolutely stood.

"Yes..." Ena added with a single solemn nod.

"He ... It," Azusa grappled with the concept, still floating in a self imposed eddy of disbelief.

"This, whatever ... attacked Jurai?"

"Nay." His mother managed coldly. Clearly overwrote at the feelings and images the telling were conjuring within her.

"We were approached." Misaki continued. Deciding to risk a possible breach of educate, given the nature of the situation and the obvious strain upon the Queen.

"Three-hundred and seventy eight days ago by emissaries from the league of confederated worlds!"

"Eh?" Ryoko heard Ena's younger image gape, seeing her eyes going wide.

"Indeed," The older version narrated.

"Though certainly no diplomat, even during my short dalliance amid the court, I had heard about the eclectic of star systems which had banded together!"

"They came to us." Ayeka continued bitterly ironic, almost a laugh. Apparently taking no offense Misaki's well intended aid as she added dryly.

"Begging for our help!"

Ryoko noted Azusa's left hand lifting, tentatively reach forwards almost of its own accord. Concern for his mother written plain upon his face.

"It was the envoy which informed us," Misaki resumed again.

"Telling that, the league had sustained massive casualties along the eastern rim..."

She paused, now at last glancing up into his eyes.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.