Tenchi Muyo (All Good Things) - Cover

Tenchi Muyo (All Good Things)

Copyright© 2009 by Dreaming Bear

Chapter 100: 'Wings of passion.'

Ryoko stared expectantly, find herself squinting. unable to make out any real details, everything was so dark! She was about to ask when Ena's 'voice over' resumed.

"Understand please, the old queen certainly wasn't a fool!" Her ethereal assured.

"Knowing her son as any mother should, The lady Ayeka made doubly certain in le of Azusa's outburst, all treeships were ordered well out of his reach!

All that is save one...

And it was for precisely that reason, I found myself later being led by the hand through the grand floral maze behind the palace!"

The vague sense of 'moving' while at the same time at rest was very disconcerting. Ryoko wondered as well is the shifting tangible darkness flowing about them was A contrivance of Ena's. Or was it simply how the woman remembered these event? She wasn't all that inclined to ask. Choosing instead to concentrate as the narration resumed.

"Of all the treeships only Tsunami herself was older!

It is my understanding 'Odan' was the first defecated imperial dreadnought, now reduced to a mammoth black gnarled shadow at the very heart of the palace maze. Used in the original settling of Jurai, Odan played a key role in establishing the orders that later evolved into the commonwealth.

It was also around that time the magnificent ship had crashed, I'm given to know. Suffering such grievous wounds it was forced to take root! Never again to fly between the stars! Even as with Yosho's Funaho and still later Ayeka's Reyo.

It was at the threshold of the primary hull, we found our way suddenly barred!"

"I won't allow this!" Misaki's voice rang suddenly out. As the young warrior woman stepped into visibility at the very top of a long earthen ramp. Framed in a gnarled doorway, backed by its ebony interior.

"Misaki..." Azusa said evenly once recovering from his surprise.

Holding battlestaff at ready, across her body, Misaki glared down at Azusa and Ena with eyes brimming of tears and fury!

"Move aside " Azusa added slowly, drawing Ena behind Almost reflexively, into his shadow.

"You can't throw away your life!" Misaki spat venomously.

"Your crown! All for the love of that little whore!"

"A 'whore' whom you very well know saved my life!" Azusa returned firmly. Glancing then to Ena, using just slightly more than his peripheral view. Observing her reaction, obviously concerned at the impact of the words flying through the night air. Ryoko, witnessing it all a few feet away was surprised herself that the younger version of Ena chose to remain silent.

"Then grant her a boon!" Misaki scoffed harshly. "Bestow some lofty title!" She paused grimacing.

"Tsunami! Give her some entire sotted little planet for all I care! But do not renounce your crown!"

"I must follow, the course my heart beckons!" Azusa told her emphatically.

"She almost gave her own life to save mine!"

He turned then and gazed full into Ena's eyes, his own shining softly.

"I'm not certain I yet believe it was 'fate' which brought us together..." Azusa continued, his word only faltering slightly for the moment required to draw breath and gently squeeze Ena's hand.

"Yet one thing is certain," He added adamantly again turning to gaze at the young Jurian woman.

"I could not love her more!"

Misaki seemed to deflate upon hearing. Almost stumbling backwards as a tiny gasp exited.

Ryoko noted right then she could see breath each time one of the participants exhaled. Giving a clear indication the air hanging darkly about them was brisk.

"But ... I..." Misaki at last spoke again. Her words coming slowly and with obvious pain.

"Our people," She corrected, eyes down cast, swallowing hard. "Need you!"

Ryoko felt her own eyes moisten, feeling the emotions of the young Tanzuru washing over her.

Even as Azusa, no less moved released Ena's hand and strolled forward. Pausing only when Masaki glared harshly at his approach, raising her staff.

She was able to hold the facade but an instant, before lips trembling she sank slowly, miserably to her knees before him.

"And what of you?" Azusa asked softly after observing for a moment, reaching down to finding and lifting her chin. Pausing slightly as the sight of her tear streaked face was upturned, causing him to falter.

"My little Misaki?"

"I..." She sobbed, closing her eyes finally having reached her limit unable to contain the tide welling from within. Azusa's feature softened even further as he gently knelt, bringing his lips to hers.

At the point of contact, Misaki's eyes flashed open before closing tightly again in sweet ecstasy as her battle staff clattered to the ground between them. When she threw her arms about his broad shoulders and clung tightly.

"WHOA!" Ryoko mouthed. "This almost makes up for missing my afternoon soaps!"

"Eh?" The adult version of Ena queried blankly. To which Ryoko glanced around casually.

"Cause this is stee-hee-me!" She smirked darkly delighted.

"Don't suppose you could think us up some popcorn?" Ryoko then added hopefully.

"Uhhhn!" Ena grimaced in dismay, to the point of slumping and rubbing her face with one hand.

"Come with us then?" Ryoko heard Azusa say. Pulling her attention back to the scene before them as Misaki, still kneeling was gazing longingly into his eyes.

"Azusa!" Misaki gasped. "I!" she managed to barely stammer before a sob forced its way past.

"We could be together!" He smiled, gently urging. "Just like always!"

The sullen gasp which escaped in reply spoke volumes as the young Tanzuru shied agonizingly away.

"I..." Misaki softly moaned. "Can't!"

She then paused, seeming to gather a measure of precious strength from some deep hidden resource. Enough to just meet his gaze.

"Azusa! I will not renounce my vow to the thrown!" The pronouncement leaving her lips as she seemed in turn to draw further strength from it, causing both Azusa and Ena, still behind him to visibly recoil.

"And I simply won't stand idly while you destroy your honor!" She continued, rising to her feet eyes now almost literally blazing as Azusa continued to give ground in abject amazement.

Executing a curt gesture with a 'snapping' of the wrist of both hands Misaki prompted her battlestaff rocket from the floor between them, impacting into her grip with a sharp whap!

"Misaki..." Azusa hissed warningly as she yet a gain assumed on-guard stance.

"If being with her is what you truly wish!" She spat, adding an angry nod the direction of Ena.

"They you will have to go through me!"

The look of astonishment retained its hold upon Azusa's face for some moments. He continued to regard her for a time before yet again his continence softened.

"If that is how it must be." He told her softly, starting deliberately forward.

Pausing only as the butt of her raised staff lingered inches from his exposed throat. Gazing with deliberate calm into her eyes.

Eyes which appeared flash as Misaki drew a sharp breath, her features contorting in rage. Ryoko could see steam rising. Issuing subtly but visible from the cured Jurian stave as Misaki drew it back preliminary to executing a killing stroke. The moment protracted, then held.

No one, even the two retrospective observers seeming to breathe before, eyes suddenly awash Misaki faltered.

The end of her stave lowering slightly even as the arms holding it began to visibly tremble. Finally allowing the staff to drop, impacting the top of the ramp with a loud thump.

"YAZUHA TAKE YOU!" A cry wretched miserably from the young woman.

"Misaki..." Azusa sighed, continuing to regard her the faintest tinge of a sad little smile coloring his features.

"GET OUT OF MY SIGHT!" She snapped, wresting her gaze from him.

Azusa lingered a moment longer, regarding Misaki sadly before extending his hand behind towards Ena.

Needing no further encouragement she clasped the offered hand as the two of them made their way past the seething young woman.

Misaki waited long enough to hear the portal on the inner hull close before making her way down and away from the heart of the palace maze. Tears flowing freely every step of the way, never once looking back.

"Wow!" Ryoko gasped, now totally enthralled with the unfolding drama. "So Misaki didn't stop you guys from eloping?"

"I wouldn't call what we did exactly eloping Ryoko!" Ena corrected impatiently. "Marriage certainly had no prominence within our current plan!"

"Meaning you two were intent on shacking up?" Ryoko grinned.

The smile widening further as Ena drew herself up indignantly. Going so far as to extending a finger, intending some rebuttal. Upon taking the full measure of Ryoko's current expression however it died in her throat.

"You make it sound like something bad." She sniffed.

"Ok!" Ryoko prompted, with a chuckle. "So what happened next?"

"Well..." Ena began after a moment to collect her thoughts.

"As I've said, no one believed the old dreadnought could still fly..."

"At least that was the theory.

No one apparently having taking into account the remote possibility, That one of imperial power level would ever be pissed enough to give such an order. I assure you, my sweet Azusa was both!

I watched in utter astonishment as He reached in his way, deep within the core of the ancient tree and bid it, Arise!

The entirety of the city of Jurihelm was shaken as Odan after centuries of rest, tore free of its ancient roots and rose slowly into the evening sky!

Triggering in its wake one of the worse seismic events in the capital cities history! It was by no means a graceful accent, the broken blacken remains of the main hull resemble a gigantic ebony stump as it rose tumbling slightly along its long axis. By the time we had arrived at the ionosphere Azusa's bond with the ancient tree had become strong enough for him to stabilize our flight. All of which meant nothing to me at the time!

I was too enthralled watching Azusa wield his power to care!

When we had entered the hull, all bout what I was to find out had been the ships bridge was almost lifeless. A few well manicure floral appointments here and there. Yet as the corps of the colossal tree soared spaceward all about the ancient hull exploded into life!

All manner of leaf and vine spouted and entwined! I confess I was amidst a schoolgirl swoon watching this young god flex his muscles! One which lasted all the way to high orbit insertion.

It was at that point several Jurian warships had managed to return from Lagrange point to 'Joto' where the queen had ordered them to park beyond the closest of Jurai's three outer moons. Presumable to place them out of her sons expected range of influence.

Odan in its heyday might have been the fiercest of warships but the tiger had long lost its teeth.

In short the old stump was unarmed!

Not that Azusa wanted to harm anyone anyway. Ill admit however I had a few moments of doubt when we were the undivided center of attention to no less than fifteen of Jurai's finest battle cruisers!

I soon found my fears were groundless when my Azusa glanced at me and winked just before harnessing enough power that Odan shot away from the armada at speeds they were incapable of matching! Gliding away into the eternal night on three wings of the lighthawk!"

"Tenchi can do five you know." Ryoko interrupted the narration softly.

"Eh?" Ena gaped blankly. The two of them now floating in a starry void, the gnarled stump of the old warship suspended between them in apparent miniature.

"He can?"

"Sure shoot'n!" Ryoko nodded. "Saw it with my own eyes just a few days ago! Though ... that wasn't the first time."

"Uh..." Ena kind of muttered. Seeming mildly distressed.

"What?" Ryoko pried.

"Most second generation trees can manifest three wings at best. Though a technique has been perfected that allows multiple trees to combine their strengths and project as many as ten."

"Like Tsunami?" Ryoko asked appearing only mildly interested.

"Yes..." Ena murmured. "But only the first tree is known capable of such a feet alone."

She paused then looking at Ryoko poignantly.

"No single mortal being ... I have ever encountered can manifest five wings of the lighthawk!"

"Minus one ... I guess... ?" Ryoko kind of snorted with a shrug.

"Yes..." Ena breathed. Looking visibly pained. "Quite."

"So..." Ryoko prompted. Eager to just change from a subject which clearly was making Ena uncomfortable.

"You guys managed to slip past the Jurian space navy..." She leaned forward, indicating the image of the ancient ship still between them.

"What happened then?"

"We must have wandered for days." Ena resumed. "Watching our backs the entire time we were fleeing any possible pursuit."

"But Ryoko?" Ena paused to queried.

"Just for purpose of clarity, there was no space navy back then. That elite force was formed after the time of your cataclysm." Ena felt herself wince as Ryoko visibly bristled.

"Must you keep bringing that up?" Ryoko angrily snapped.

"It's a point of our history my dear girl!" Ena told her shrugging defensively.

"I swear I'm not trying to badger!"

"We soon learned that in our haste for departure," Ena's purely mental narration resumed. Obviously eager to 'press on' past this recent rough spot.

"We had neglected certain essentials..."

"Like food for instance?" Ryoko laughed, the smile and blush materializing even as Ena's face was fading from sight were more than enough to acknowledge her assertion.

"Uh huh..." she continued, chuckling. "Just a couple 'o dumb ass kids!"

"Ahem." Ena's voice coughed.

"We were force to depend upon the resources of Odan to sustain us."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.