Visiting Queensland - Cover

Visiting Queensland

Copyright© 2009 by Peter H. Salus

Chapter 4

We got greeted and went inside. Mum immediately asked what was new. Weena began telling her about the Royal Perth and my new unpaid appointment in the Navy and then paused... "Oh, yes. And I'm going to make you grandparents."

Mum screamed and grabbed Weena's hand. "When? When?"

"Most likely end of April or beginning of May."

"Are you sick? What can't you eat? What would you like?"

"I've only had a bit of nausea, not much. I eat some biscuits or crisps before getting up. Ginger ale fizz and lemon tea seem to be OK. Nothing fried, please. Otherwise, I'm as fit as can be."

"Well, I've only a simple salad lunch, mostly out of the garden. I'll make a lemon dressing. Are eggs OK? I'll hardboil some eggs."

I looked at my dad. He just shrugged. "Girl stuff. Let's go outside." We did.

"I understand you've hired Jacky."

"Yes. He turned up around the end of January. I've had him riding the fence line. I was going to ask him to lunch, but I've not seen him today. I told him you were coming, though. Yesterday afternoon."

Weena called us from the doorway. There was cold beef and yesterday's bread as well as salad. I ate too much, as I always do at 'home.' We were just done when there was a knock at the door. I kicked over my chair when I saw who it was. Jacky was older — so was I — but I would have recognised him anywhere. I gave him a big hug and introduced him to Weena. "Heya, missus," he said.

"Weena. And I'll call you Jacky. You've known Gordy about twenty years longer than I have."

"Too right, Weena. Gordy, can you come with me? I got a problem."

"Let's go. I hope I can help. Where are you camped?"

"Boundary fence near where Womalilla Road makes the sharp turn."

"By the water?"

He laughed. "Yep. Lotsa yabbies."

"Let me drive." I turned to the others. "Back soon, I hope."

When we were in the car, I asked Jacky what was up.

"My brother Jimmy, he Kalchut, he sick. He visit yesterday."

"OK. I'll look at him. But you may need Weena."

"Weena?"

"She's a nurse. A sister."

"No nurse. Kalchut won't take pills."

"Don't worry. Weena knows bush medicine."

Jacky was quiet. Jimmy wasn't his brother, but his blood-brother bonded from a tribe in southwest Queensland. When we got to the campsite I parked and we walked over to where Jimmy was on a pile of grass under a blanket.

"You crook, Jimmy?"

"Feel awful."

I touched his forehead. I looked at his wrists. "Bin on walkabout, Jimmy?"

"North. Up Cape York." He shivered.

"Get bit there?"

"Lots skeeters."

"Jacky. Drive back fast and get Weena. Tell her Jimmy's got dengue."

"Right." He was off.

"Jimmy, you'll be OK, I think. My wife, Weena, is a bush nurse. Just be still. They'll be here soon."

"OK, boss." I sat on my heels, wished for a cigarette and was glad I hadn't any.

Dengue is the most important viral disease transmitted by mosquitoes afflicting humans in a world context. Clinical symptoms range from mild fevers, to a severe and potentially life threatening haemorrhagic disease. In Australia, dengue only occurs in north Queensland. Dengue is not endemic (i.e. naturally occurring in north Queensland). The dengue mosquito is common in north Queensland and outbreaks can occur when the virus is transmitted to the local mosquito population in north Queensland by infected international travellers or residents returning home from overseas.

They roared up in a cloud of dust.

"Hey."

"He's got dengue. He needs an analgesic, but he won't take pills. Is there something that contains something like salicylic acid?"

"Let me look at him. Yes, you're right. Good diagnosis, Dr. Hollister."

"Thanks, Nurse Hollister."

"Jacky."

"Yes, Weena?"

"You know lemongrass?"

"No."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.