The Last of His Kind - Cover

The Last of His Kind

Copyright© 2008 by Scorpionicus

Chapter 12: Planet of Ruins 2

Mev and the group entered one of the better preserved buildings, which seemed to have been some sort of offices. Each office contained the remains of desks and chairs remarkably similar to those which had been used on Earth in the early 21st century. On many of the desks there were sitting what seemed to be computers or some other type of similar device. Since the power in the city had failed long ago there was no way to try to turn any on. Mev and the group weren't really interested enough to try to get one working, that would be a job for possible future scientific investigation.

During the time the group had been exploring the empty buildings Anna had been in almost constant conversation with Medron, though anyone who had been listening would have been puzzled that the conversation consisted only of the robot speaking to the girl and Anna remaining silent. The robot's continuing monolog would have been disconcerting to any other humans who had been near to hear it but the High Lords took it in stride since they could sense Anna's side of the conversation just as easily as Medron could.

Anna had become so used to the unusual conversation she was having with the robot that she did not immediately notice when Medron ceased physically speaking to her. Medron was able to sense from her mind when Anna had learned to receive its communication mentally instead of sound and the robot switched to mental communication smoothly when it learned the girl was ready for it. When Anna finally realized she was now hearing Medron directly in her mind she stopped dead in her tracks, astonished.

"Mev, I can hear Medron in my mind!" Anna exclaimed once she fully understood what was happening.

"Yes, I told you that you would soon learn this ability. It is good that you have gained it first with Medron," Mev answered.

"I remember you telling me that. Will I be able to learn to mentally hear the rest of you?" Anna asked.

"Yes, I expect you will accomplish that quite soon now. In the meantime Medron can relay any thought we wish to direct to you from now on," Mev told her.

"Really? That's great!" Anna exclaimed.

"Yes, it will improve our group communication considerably," Mev answered.

Suddenly, the group found themselves under some sort of power attack, and the High Lords and Medron immediately threw their full strength into their shields. Because Medron continued protecting her Anna was not affected by the strange assault that suddenly came upon the group. The High Lords could immediately sense the attack was not something based upon spellcraft such as what another High Lord (or similar type of being) would use, but something which was generated by some sort of physical technology. Nonetheless the assault was extremely powerful and it was all the High Lords could do to resist its affects.

Right after the attack began a figure appeared near to and facing the High Lord group. The alien being had transported itself to the location of the High Lord group using what Mev and the others immediately recognized as the same transport technology as had been used to remove the former inhabitants of the planet. Basically humanoid yet the being's body bulged in strange ways due to the technology devices implanted within it. This gave the alien access to powers which, while of a different origin and nature, were of a similar extent and power to those of Medron and the High Lords.

The mystery of who took away the former inhabitants of the planet was solved by this sudden onslaught, though it wasn't certain at this point if only a single individual was responsible or a larger group. The attack upon the High Lords seemed to be from some sort of powerful device intended to paralyze the voluntary nerves but their shields warded them from this effect. Mev communicated to the others in the group that they should move closer together which would allow them to merge their shields with Medron's and this was quickly done. This left the High Lords standing shoulder to shoulder in front of Medron and Anna, with Anna well inside the protection their consolidated shields offered.

Looking at the alien Mev could see it was surrounded by a soft glow which he immediately assumed must be some sort of defensive shields. Shields that Mev could sense were far more substantial than those the technology of the Republic could generate, shields powerful and extensive enough to perhaps match those of the High Lord group. For the moment it would seem the High Lords and the unknown alien were in a standoff.

Mev reached out with his senses toward the Republic Battlecruiser in orbit above and despite the energies impinging upon their shields he was able to sense the ship and the interior of it. Mev quickly found that everyone on board the ship was frozen, paralyzed by the same force that was assaulting the High Lord group's shields. Upon checking the various parties from the ship which had landed upon the planet Mev found they were also paralyzed by the alien power. Only the High Lord group retained the freedom to move or act.

This thrall upon the ships crew was unacceptable to Mev and the others in the group agreed with him. But it did not seem that it would be easy to wrest control of the crew away from the alien by force without an expensive battle. Because of this the High Lords decided to wait and see what might transpire in the confrontation. So the High Lords simply stood there behind their shields and observed the alien, waiting for it to make the first move.

Then the alien spoke, speaking in the standard language of the Republic.

"You are not as the others, you resist our control. Your presence here is an unanticipated complication," the alien said.

"You are the ones who removed the population of this planet?" Mev asked the alien.

"Yes, they have been joined into our body. No separation is possible now," the alien answered.

"We are not interested in altering the status of the former inhabitants of this planet," Mev said. "However the space vessel currently orbiting this planet is another matter."

"We wish to incorporate the inhabitants of the space vessel into our unity. The vessel will be salvaged for useful materials," the alien continued.

"We cannot allow you to have either the space ship or its crew. We require them for our own purposes," Mev stated.

"What is your purpose in this place?" the alien asked.

"We are in the midst of a long journey and our vessel requires re-supply of vital commodities. We also seek recreational time outside the confines of our vessel," Mev answered.

"You do not appear to be those who require a space vessel for travel nor are you limited to its confines."

"While your statement is true, the others aboard the space ship are under our care and protection. Because of this we require you to release them immediately," Mev demanded.

"By their entry into this area the inhabitants of the space vessel have become subject to our use and control. We strongly assert this claim but since your small group seems to be able to resist our power your small group may leave peacefully," the alien replied.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.