Pebble Beach - Cover

Pebble Beach

Copyright© 2008 by Anthony Concept

Chapter 13

We stripped off and stood under the shower heads. When we built the ablution block we decided on communal showers, this put four shower heads in both the male and female blocks.

The water was nice and hot, the pressure was good and there was plenty of it. Rosie took to it like a duck takes to water, she stood under the spray and gave that satisfied shiver all down her back.

"This is great Jim, the pressure is better here than the shower up at the house."

"And we have endless hot water as well love, just look at Rosie, I bet she thinks she's in paradise."

"Well she certainly not complaining, wonder what will happen when the water is turned off?"

"I'm nearly finished Annie, give me a hand to scrub Rosie and then we will find out."

Annie helped me clean Rosie up and then we shut the water off. Rosie did her usual ritual, she just stood there enjoying the moment. We dried ourselves off and then rubbed Rosie dry with an old towel.

Back in the house we decided on a light tea as we had eaten the picnic bag after our swim. We then sat on the front porch with a couple of home brews, Rosie nuzzled up for her scratch and tickle, "Gee Rosie you smell of roses," laughed Annie. It was a peaceful, relaxed moment.


On the Tuesday Annie and I collected Allie, we went to the local college and enrolled her for the coming semester. With her book list in hand we visited the college book shop and bought the required material. As it was close to lunch time Annie suggested we go for a counter lunch at the local pub.

Allie and Annie got on famously, they chattered away during the meal, I don't know how people can let words get between them and their food. The 'T' bone steak was perfection, a nice salad and chips, it couldn't be much better.

After lunch Annie took Allie shopping for some clothes to wear for college. Allie was protesting but Annie wouldn't have any of it.

"Allie please let me do this for you, I want you to look your best when you start classes. If you are well dressed you will feel more confident and believe me, you will need all the confidence you can muster on that 'first' day; so lets start buying."

I decide that while they were shopping I would drop in and see Erin and Ed. We had an enjoyable hour, they brought me up to date with the latest happenings and showed me a few update to the computer code. The updates were mainly for the new cash registers we had bought in, all the stores had the same equipment now so programming the code was much more simpler.

I told them about Allie and suggested they invite her in and give her an insight on our system and what to expect when she graduates. They both agreed it was a good idea and they would contact her to make the arrangements.


I picked the girls up at our prearranged place, they were loaded down with packages, both of them were on a high that women can only get from 'retail therapy'

Allie was brimming over with excitement, "Jim, please don't get mad at Annie for buying me all these clothes, I just couldn't stop her."

"Allie, what Annie spends is nothing to do with me, she is her own woman. I'm just lucky she want's to be around me."

We headed off back to Bruno's house, with me telling Allie to expect a call from either Erin or Ed, inviting her to acquaint herself with our accounts department.

"I'll be looking forward to that Jim, although I've worked on the orphanage books, something this size will be a great experience."


Agnes White was Pebble Beach's oldest resident, pushing close to ninety Agnes was still as sharp as a tack. Laurie, her husband had passed on before I had bought the house. We were talking one afternoon when she confided in me

"Jim, my mind is as clear and active as it was twenty years ago but unfortunately the body isn't. I'm afraid that I won't be able to cope on my own much longer, that means going into a nursing home. They are terrible places Jim, full of old doddering vegetables, I don't want to go but there's no other option."

"Can't any of the ladies here assist you Agnes? I'm sure if you asked they would be only too happy to help you."

"They already do Jim, what worries me is being on my own, if anything happened to me I'd be in real trouble. I can't expect them to be there for me all of the time, they have their own lives to live."

"I know that Annie and I will miss you if you decide to go Agnes, I hope that it isn't soon though."

"I will miss Pebble Beach and all my friends Jim, I'm going to hang on as long as I can though."

I told Annie of our conversation and she assured me she would take extra time in keeping an eye on Agnes. "I can understand how she feels Jim, she was one of the first residents to set up here. Laurie and Ned were close friends.


The following weekend Joey drove the bus over with the kids, Allie was with him and they were almost stuck together. With the kids and all their gear was unloaded, Joey asked if would be OK to stay with Annie and I.

"Joey, you know that you are always welcome here, what about Allie?"

"Allie is sleeping in the cabin Jim, we are getting on great but I have had it made quite clear to me that there will be no hanky panky."

"Sounds like a sensible young lady Joey, I hope that you respect that."

"Mama and Dad would have my head if I stepped out of line, they made it quite clear when they accepted Allie into our home that every thing between us had to be over and above board or I would be looking for a new place to live."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.