Pebble Beach - Cover

Pebble Beach

Copyright© 2008 by Anthony Concept

Chapter 1

"Looks like we have an intruder Jim."

Hi, I'm Jim Taylor. I'm the head bean counter and systems manager for a medium size supermarket chain. Bruno DiCarli the owner took over the family business when his father passed away, then it was just a small grocery store, Bruno had expanded the store into a self serve market when I first met him. I was starting out as an accountant and Bruno needed someone to handle his book work, I was his man.

I'd inherited a tidy sum when my spinster Aunt Millie passed away, I came from a small family so the inheritance was more by default than earned.

As Bruno continued to expand his self serve he offered me the chance to invest money in the business. After some thought I could see that the way things were shaping up in the supermarket world that this would be a good investment. We worked out an agreement where I would own 2% but be a silent partner. I would however take a more active role in running the financial side of things, also I would be setting up a computer system.

Computers were at the early stages of development when we purchased a Rainbow PC. We also bought a database management system called Dataflex. After a bit of in house training I was able to implement several small programs to monitor the stock levels and purchasing needs. We also purchased Lotus 123 to do our accounting work with.

Bruno had a Daughter Teresa and two sons Tony and Joey. When Teresa and Tony the two elder children left school they started to learn the business. Joey was a lot younger and was still at school.

As our supermarket expanded Bruno decided to open another store, he asked me if I wanted to run it but I declined. I suggested that he give Teresa and Tony the opportunity to prove themselves. The two of them took control and over the next few years more than proved themselves as competent managers.

Business was booming and we opened a third store thus giving the kids a store each to run. By this time computers had become of age and we had linked the three stores together. My little part of the organisation was the accounting, ordering and monitoring sales trends. At the time of this narration I had an assistant named Ed Delaney.

Bruno ran the No1 store, Teresa No2 and Tony No3 store. Everything was running smoothly until Bruno collapsed in his office. Fortunately his heart attack was only minor but it was obvious some major lifestyle changes were required.

Bruno was going to put Alan Tatlow in charge but Mama DiCarli had other ideas. Son Joey had grown up and Mama wanted him to take the reigns instead of Alan. Bruno didn't think Joey was ready for that amount of responsibility but Mama pressured him and he relented.

Joey had been spoiled rotten by Mama and in her eyes he could do no wrong. Both Teresa and Tony tried to talk some sense into her but she was adamant. So Joey took over.

Joey to give him credit was a very bright lad, having grown up with the supermarket business he knew how thing operated. He just didn't have the maturity to be in charge.

Joey's first clash with me was in the first week. He came into my office and told me he wanted graphs for the last weeks trading, something he could easily get on his own node of the network. When I told him that he said that he wasn't asking me for the graphs he was ordering me to give him them.

"Joey my boy, if you have a request I suggest you put it in writing, if and I mean IF, I consider it a valid request I will find time to do it."

"I'm in charge of this store and if you can't take my orders I will give you your marching orders, is that clear?"

"Sonny, I've got news for you, this department is NOT part of No1 store. I don't take orders from you or anyone else apart from your father. As far as you giving me the sack, I don't think so."

"We'll soon see about that," he snarled as he walked out the door.

Ed looked at me and said "I think someone has a swollen head Jim, maybe we should keep an eye on him he can be a sneaky little bastard."

"My thought exactly Ed, I think Mama's interference in the running of the store is misplaced."

...

Sure enough a short while later I received a phone call from Mama complaining that I wasn't giving Joey a fair chance to do his job.

"Mama, I think we should have a meeting between yourself, Bruno, Joey and me. Joey has the mistaken idea that my department is under his jurisdiction, he needs to understand that he cannot just come in and throw his weight around and expect me to jump to attention."

"Joey told me that you threw him out of your office Jim. I won't stand for that."

"Mama, arrange for the meeting after lunch, we will come out to the house."

"Very well then Jim, I'm disappointed in you though."

...

When Joey and I arrived at the house we found that Bruno had gone one step further and called Teresa and Tony to attend as well. When we were all seated Bruno spoke to Joey. "OK Joey, you seem to be the one with all the problems, let's hear what you have to say."

Mama butted in, "I'm sure Joey has a good reason for his complaints haven't you Joey?"

"Yes I have, I made a valid request for trading graphs and Jim refused and threw me out of his office. I want him to be told that I'm in charge and when I give an order I expect it to be obeyed."

Bruno gave Joey a look of contempt, "Joey, against my better judgment I let you manage No1 store, I don't think you are capable but you mother thinks otherwise. First and foremost, accounting, stock flow and computer management is NOT and I repeat NOT part of your responsibility. Secondly, although he doesn't want it known, Jim owns 2% of the business and takes orders from no one, do you understand that, NO ONE?"

"But Mama said I was to be in charge."

"If you continue the way you've been going, that will change believe me."

Teresa and Tony simply looked at Joey with contempt. "For Christ sake grow up Joey, you're supposed to be running a business not acting like a Prima Donna," growled Tony.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.