A Peril at Ishtar - Cover

A Peril at Ishtar

Copyright© 2008 by Allan Joyal

Chapter 33: Moments of Rest

Surprisingly, everything dropped back down in intensity after I left the recreation room. Ensign Prescott quickly ascended to heights of disdain among the concubines that only Jack had achieved previously, but Mike and Barbara both started to settle in and their concubines loved The Tradition, as it was now formally called.

Kitty and Brittany were spending hours every day with Claire. Over time we realized that the poor teenage girl had been little more than Kirk's prisoner. Her terror was that she would end up in a similar situation in the future. The only hopeful sign was when she bonded with Paula and Jillian one night during a party. I immediately called the twins over and offered them the choice of who would become Claire's new owner. They tried to protest, but the AI backed me up and after that evening Claire moved in with the twins and slowly became as cheerful and happy as the rest of our concubines.

Commander O'Brien asked for tours of our enclave and often sat at the side of his men still in the pods. Lieutenant Toms had a full recovery much to his concubine's delight. Schmidt, Rogers and Jackson were healing more slowly, but Shawna and Ed were hopeful that all would have full recoveries.

Commander O'Brien did spend time in the command post briefing room talking to headquarters and giving them the status on their repairs. The Commander was completely scandalized the first time he came to the command post to place a call and he found Candi and Randi sitting in the chairs and operating the equipment, but over time he admitted that the concubines were as efficient as any ensign he had commanded and seemed unusually happy to assist him when he had questions. "I know I scoffed at your 'Tradition' when I first heard you talk about it, but I've also never seen concubines who worked so hard, and then claimed they were just having fun."

The slow week did give us time to affect repairs to the battle armor that Fred and I wore, as well as getting Xavier's air exchanger replaced. Tyson even managed to get laser one back online although laser two was discovered to have some previously hidden damage that added several additional days to the repair.

The only distressing news came from outside the enclave. The war between Manuel and Ruth continued. After the initial opening of hostilities they had left our door alone, but both sides had staged multiple attempts to claim the armory and the AI soon reported additional casualties. The numbers continued to be unclear, but it sounded like both sides had lost at least three more fighters. We were saddened though when the AI reported that Kathy, the sponsor who had left the two babies in Mike's care, had died of a beating one evening after Manuel's forces had been forced to abandon the armory shortly after they had gained access to it. The only hopeful news was the fact that Kathy's concubines were still missing.

As time dragged on the remaining crewmen were released from the medical pods. Each would have scarring that our pods were unable to repair, but all three were healthy again. Schmidt was unsteady on his feet, and suffered from vertigo entirely too often, but his concubine Iris supported him when he did have to travel the tunnels and his memory and skills soon returned. I heard him thank the commander for putting him back on duty and expressing the hope that someday he would be as good an officer as Commander O'Brien was.

It proved to be a great week, but finally Louis announced that the Nassau was as ready as our repair dock could get her. Commander O'Brien told his crew and their concubines that it was time to reboard the Nassau and gave everyone one final hour of shore leave. He included the four remaining unattached concubines. I would have allowed them to stay, but our small population left little need for extra concubines at the time.

I did insist that Commander O'Brien, Ensign Adams and Ensign Colmes along with their concubines come to my pod. The group did so reluctantly; they were clearly ready to head home. I could hear Ensign Adams worrying a bit about his concubine back home and their growing children as Bethany greeted them at the door and guided the men to prepared chairs.

The concubines looked puzzled as Janice lined them up in the room and then told them to cup their hands in front of them and close their eyes. Once she was sure they were not peeking she waved to Tina who signaled to Meiko, Brittany and Kitty who were standing in the rabbit pod.

I watched the two ensigns look confused as my younger concubines walked into the room, with their hands held to conceal what they were holding. Meiko also had a small bag, which was not part of her usual outfit around her shoulder. Before the ensigns recovered from their surprise to speak each girl carefully placed her hands over the cupped hands of one of the concubines and then stepped back, watching carefully.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.