A Peril at Ishtar - Cover

A Peril at Ishtar

Copyright© 2008 by Allan Joyal

Chapter 27: The Swarm Comes to Visit

I turned to Barbara to suggest that we start walking when Veronica's voice cried out. "Oh god! I'm sorry. I'm sorry. We missed it! I'm sorry! I'm sorry!"

"Timothy!" I bellowed. "Report!"

"We have a Sa'arm ship inbound. It came in from directly to spinward and just appeared from behind the sun. It's only about seven light minutes away right now. We didn't see it because of the sun."

"Fuck!" Yvette cried. "Anyone know how much time we have?"

Louis must have heard the interchange. "Depends on the size, but their raiders can cover that in about twenty minutes."

I heard the gasp from Bonnie, one of Tyson's concubines. "But it can take that long just to get into battle armor."

"Terrence, take over!" I cried. "Tyson, Linus get to the lasers and get them powered up. Fred, Xavier, Brad let's get armored up. First ones ready take the guns."

I turned to dash down the corridor as a series of confirmations rang out. Janice took off after me as Terrence called out. "Damn! I guess no time for formalities. Robin, stay with Diana, she can take you to the school, it's probably the best protection we can offer. Barbara, I guess we have to trust you. Come with me, I have to stop at the command post and you'll be able to see more from there."

I could hear a chorus of affirmations as I dashed past the crossing. Yvette called out. "Brad won't be there in time. He was sleeping and is just waking up. Fred's confirmed that he's on his way."

I did not even nod as I passed by and reached the door to the laser pod. As always the door seemed to open painfully slowly, but as soon as possible Janice and I stepped inside and told the AI to open the door to laser one. As we went inside I called out to Meiko and Tina who were fortunately just finishing their maintenance check on my armor.

"Its not a drill this time girls," I called out as I tossed the flechette guns aside and started to strip down. "We've got incoming and just enough time to get the armor on and the laser up."

I heard the gasp from Tina, but Meiko was already dashing forward with the pants to the armor as Janice grabbed the helmet and started the power up sequence. The pants took a moment to struggle into, but a moment later I was sitting down as Tina and Meiko fought the boots into my feet.

Just then Tamara's voice came over the speaker. "I've taken over tracking. Damn! No wonder Veronica missed it."

"What?" I asked as I struggled into the body part of the underarmor. It was an armored vest with padded sleeves to protect the arms once the plating was added, and never went on smoothly. I had managed to get my left arm most of the way through when Tamara spoke again.

"It's a raider. Or at least a ship sized for raiding rather than one of their hive spheres. The thing has almost no emissions and must have appeared in-system almost directly on the opposite side of the sun from us," she said. "Right now no planet is in that section of its orbit, so the only scanners we have covering that area are near Ishtar and the sun blocked their scans. We literally couldn't see it until it came out from behind the sun."

"Damn!" Louis said. "Permission to have the AI create additional sensor and scanning resources to prevent this in the future." He called out.

"Granted," I said with a grunt as my struggles finally got the vest around my head. Tina and Janice pulled my hands through the ballistic cloth and I stood up, checking to make sure the armor vest was not binding.

Ulla then called out. "No response from the navy. I've sent out a fold-space and a ping."

Yvette called. "Listen for a response. Meanwhile if any of you aren't fighting get to the multi-use room or the school, they have the best protection."

Reggie responded. "We're already on it. I've got the concubines pairing up and each taking a child for now."

Just then Linus burst in and looked over at me. "Good. Fred's going to be on laser two with Tyson serving as his support. Xavier's armor was just redlighted. The air exchanger failed!"

"Damn!" I cried as Meiko and Janice started attaching the armor to the undersuit. This process pretty much requires that the person wearing the armor sit still while a number of plates and armor forms are attached to each other and the armor itself. Done properly the process can take up to one hour, but my concubines were cutting every corner possible to get the armor on.

Linus was frantically calling up the tracking data and powering up the laser. As he did the girls finally got the lower armor sealed up and hurried me over to the stand that held the actual body armor and activated the mechanism to drop it over my head. "Got tracking!" Linus called out. "Looks like we've got a couple extra minutes."

"The Sa'arm slowed down to fire on the remnants of the supply depot that was still in orbit around Rogers," Tamara reported.

"Rogers?" I asked as the body armor slid into place and I could hear the seals between the body and leg portions connect.

There was a giggle. "Well, we wanted to name the other planets around Ishtar. Tiffany found reference to some horrible movie with main characters Rogers and Clarke, so the first planet is Clarke, the second Rogers and we are Ishtar."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.