A Peril at Ishtar - Cover

A Peril at Ishtar

Copyright© 2008 by Allan Joyal

Chapter 12: Growing the Family

The next few days were spent using the sleep training chamber, or spending some time with my ladies. I did come up with an idea to have one pod be a medical bay. This idea was passed around to the rest of our colony council via the AI, and received unanimous approval. We now had found uses for five of the seven empty pods, with individual pods designated as recreation hall, an armory, a defense battery, a medical bay, and a hydroponics unit. Although the hydroponics unit was one I kept quiet about, again worrying about the ability of the Confederacy to provide the needed seed and nutrients.

I was still puzzling over a use for the remaining two pods and no one had any good suggestions. Yvette and the twins loved the idea of a basketball or volleyball court, but the AI made it clear that the pods would not expand that large. It was possible to create an underground chamber, but the colony first needed to be stable. Everyone liked that idea, and after reviewing the growing map of the colony selected a location on the northern border of our enclave for the court once resources could be spared to create it.

The conditions on the ship had turned into a true state of siege. Ruth and Hector were now the titular leaders of the more sadistic faction from the back of the ship, and while they had limited the fighting among their own members, they openly applauded efforts to intimidate any resident of the blue or green rings. Donna had resorted to using the AI to call the other pods, but most of the residents were too spooked to do more than say hello, and none were brave enough to attempt a dash to her pod. Sergeant Powell and Corporal Mattingly were patrolling as a pair, and escorting the occupants of each pod to the medical bay for their cosmetic and physical rebuilds.

Terrence had succeeded in talking to Bradley and Ed, and both proved receptive to our plans of having a command post within isolated territory. As expected Bradley wanted advance acceptance of his bringing his concubines with him when he served. We got him to agree that should an emergency occur, he would send any concubines home immediately, so that proved to be another problem solved. We now had eight sponsors preparing to work in the command post, and I suspected that most of us were having concubines prepare as well.

Communication via the AI interface tended to be slow, and frustrating, but we now had a picture of the positioning of all of our pods, and while we were pretty sure some of the members we had not had an opportunity to speak with were not going to be completely happy with their placement, we did have a well defensible setup with the main items like the medical bay and armory centrally located.

I was working on ideas for the two pods, and struggling to come up with ideas one day and the AI suddenly chimed. "James, Sergeant Powell is here and wishes to speak with you."

I stood up and walked to the entrance. "Let him in," I said.

The door opened to reveal Sergeant Powell, wearing armor. He called for me to grab my stinger and follow him

As I stepped into the hallway I found Corporal Mattingly standing in the hallway. He also was wearing armor, and carrying a much heavier stinger than I had seen before. Sergeant Powell saw my look and scowled. "It's a riot version, designed to take down multiple marine bodies at once. Ruth and her cohorts have been ordered to stay in their pods, but the AI refuses to lock them in and they still get out in groups to roam the hallways. Fortunately, they haven't been finding anyone, but that's only making them angrier."

I sighed. "That's not surprising, but why are you asking me to follow you?"

We had started walking down the hallway and stopped at Green Seven. The door opened and Brittany rushed out to put her arms around me as the Sergeant laughed bitterly. "We need to get Brittany to testing, and if she scores as we expect, you need to claim her immediately. Before Larry or Dennis realizes she can be claimed."

I smiled and patted Brittany on the head. "Happy Birthday, little one. I'm sure you will do well."

The walk to the medical bay where the testing would occur was conducted in silence. It was eerie just how quiet the halls were. No one was walking through the hallways, although at one point angry voices could be heard echoing down the corridors, and Corporal Mattingly waved us to a halt. The voices did not move closer and a few moments later we stepped through the doorway into the medical bay where Ensign Bates met us.

The AI must have alerted Ensign Bates ahead of time, because it took him only a couple moments to show Brittany to the testing chamber, and to get the tests started. He did say that testing was likely to last four hours, but neither Corporal Mattingly nor Sergeant Powell showed any indication that they planned on leaving before the test was complete.

"I hate this," Corporal Mattingly said. "This has to be one of the worst colony ideas the Confederacy ever came up with."

I frowned. "The site seems to be well thought out, and with the right people, it could be a successful colony and a good rally point for incursions into the Sa'arm zone. The problem is the company I'm going to be keeping."

Sergeant Powell laughed. "I've seen the company you keep James. They might not have supermodel looks, but damn if they don't love you more than any other concubines I know love their masters. I wish they could give my concubines lessons in showing love and affection."

I smiled. "I'm not sure it's about lessons. Although they do seem to learn from each other what I like. I just went out to love them and to be there for them. The trust and respect helped create the love."

Corporal Mattingly laughed. "And here Brenda tells me you don't respect anyone."

I shook my head, remembering Brenda's long time complaint. However, after the short laugh, the conversation turned back to the problems in the halls. "I just hope my plan for once we are on the ground will work," I told the two marines.

Sergeant Powell laughed at that. "I've looked over Captain Nelson's shoulder as she reviewed it. I'd say that your idea is very good. The single entrance is well reinforced and defendable, and you are already thinking about how to keep morale up."

"Yes," I admitted. "But space is going to be tight, and of the twenty citizens we'd had hopes for, only eight have spoken up to join the group. Most of the others are avoiding responding to any attempt to communicate still."

"Not a huge surprise. They are terrified and confused. Most citizens take several weeks to adjust after being picked up and those are the ones who don't have all the trouble you are having. This is the first pickup and colony I've heard about with such a high number of maladjusted citizens," Corporal Mattingly said.

"I just wish they'd tell us about themselves," I replied. "Right now I don't know how many children, nor what sex all the sponsors and concubines are even. I just know that we have twenty sponsors and currently forty-four concubines. It would be nice to get an idea of any special needs we might have."

The AI spoke up. "The sponsors you are considering to split from the rest of the colony are comprised of seven women and thirteen men. The forty-four concubines are seven male and the rest female. There are twenty total children, split across eleven of the sponsors."

We all laughed. "Well that answers that question." Sergeant Powell observed.

"Twenty children, and thirty seven concubines, which means most likely thirty seven babies," I mused. "Do you think having one pod converted into a combination school and nursery might be wise? It would give the households a way to get the children out of the pod for a short time, and to give the children something additional to do."

The AI spoke up. "Sleep training can accomplish any of the teaching you might want a regular school to perform."

I could see Corporal Mattingly looking at me. However, I held up a hand and spoke. "No, not really 'any'! Your system struggles to teach someone to read and write; it's not something where a series of pictures can teach you quickly. The sleep training is great, if the only goal is purely learning information, but humans are social creatures too. A school that's set up just right will give the children a place to interact with others and learn the skills they need to operate in a cooperative environment. Also I've been in sleep training and it's too sterile, we need a better way, and this might help."

I smiled at the AI's silence as Sergeant Powell laughed. "Others should have thought about that. It's nice when you have several concubines, since one can watch the children while the others enjoy the moment. But even then, an evening without children and a chance to just relax with all your concubines sounds wonderful."

I nodded. "That's what I'm thinking. The children are going to need some time socializing with others, outside of the concubine and sponsor's households. Both so that they are ready to serve in the military if they score high enough on the CAP tests, and so that they can get along with their fellow concubines if they don't. Also, it's time away from the household so the adults can have time together. I know concubines are considered property, but I'd like them to be able to feel like they are valued."

Corporal Mattingly laughed. "If most concubines feel half as valued as you show yours they are, they will be very happy. Unless they know yours."

Sergeant Powell agreed, and I was about to protest when Ensign Bates shouted for our attention. "The AI is winding down the testing. We should have a score for Brittany in a moment."

We all turned to watch the testing chamber open. There was a short pause and then Brittany emerged, crying. "I did horrible," she moaned. "There is no way I scored enough to avoid Larry."

I put my arms around her as the AI produced her CAP card and Ensign Bates picked it up to view it. He sighed. "It's a four point three. Sorry, Brittany, but that puts you in the concubine pool."

I saw Sergeant Powell wink at me as Brittany continued to cry in my arms. "AI, earlier you reported that I was allowed an extra concubine. I'd like to register Brittany as my concubine."

I felt more than heard the gasp into my chest as the AI replied. "Brittany, do you wish to be the concubine of James Rabb?"

Brittany pushed off against me and looked right at me as I carefully trained my gaze on the wall of the medical bay. She seemed to be thinking as the door opened and Larry charged into the room.

"It's her birthday and I want my concubine! Where is the little slut!" he roared as Brittany ducked back into my arms with a cry.

Before anyone could register what was going on, I heard Brittany whisper. "Yes, oh please, yes. James or anyone before that beast."

I turned to see Corporal Mattingly trying to hold Larry back. Larry's face was the same, but he obviously had visited the medical bay in the last week as his three hundred plus pounds of fat were now turned into muscle, and he actually was a few inches taller than the solid marine. I thought Larry might be able to force his way past, but Sergeant Powell moved with the speed of a snake, putting a stinger into Larry's back and pulling the trigger, causing him to fall to the deck, writhing in pain.

"Concubine Brittany is registered to James Rabb," the AI reported.

Corporal Mattingly pushed the body of Larry against the wall and grabbed his heavy stinger. "Let's move!" he shouted. "Hopefully Larry is the only one who decided to come out, but there are others, and we need to get you back to your pod."

I nodded and felt Brittany shiver into my arms. There was no question she was frightened. Ensign Bates could see this. "I'd refrain from cosmetic work on her until you are on the planet, and have access to a medical bay that the pigs can't reach," he said. "Wandering the halls just doesn't seem like a good idea."

I nodded and pulled my own stinger, gently directing Brittany to hold onto my waist and follow me closely. "I agree, although it would help me if you can have the AI forward me the subscores for Brittany. I'm sure I'll figure them out with a little time, but it might help me prepare her for everything."

"Just let the AI know when you get back to your pod," the Ensign said as he looked down at the inert form of Larry.

Sergeant Powell and Corporal Mattingly were gazing down the hallway leading from the medical bay. "Clear!" the sergeant shouted and after dumping Larry's inert form in the corridor, we started down the corridor at a quick trot.

I am pretty sure that small unit tactics in an urban or cave environment are not standard training, but the two experienced marines operated as a well-oiled machine on the journey back to my pod. Every intersection was approached with caution, and with covering positions until we could verify that no ambush lay in wait. No words were spoken, and although I struggled at first, I quickly figured out the hand signals and cooperated with the duo to provide additional cover.

We were in the green ring and rapidly approaching my pod when a shout came from behind us. "Hey! There are mice out!"

Sergeant Powell and I turned to see a trio of large men in the corridor and leering at us. "Shit!" Sergeant Powell shouted. "James, start running; they are only after you and the concubine."

I shot one time for pride, watching the man on the right twitch, and drop to his knees, but he quickly got back up as I pushed Brittany forward and turned to run.

"Fuck!" I could hear Corporal Mattingly shout as he leveled his gun. "We've got two more this way!"

We were just outside Green Seven and for a moment I was tempted, but I could see that the two new problems were just beyond the door to my pod, and had a feeling that they would stick around until I got home. "Mattingly, can you force them back enough for me to get to my pod?" I shouted as I slid past him on the wall and set up a firing position.

We could hear the Sergeant's stinger shriek out behind us, and Corporal Mattingly looked back down the hall briefly. "It's going to be a narrow window," he said as he fired off a burst that chased the two in front of us back down the corridor.

"Understood," I said as I grabbed Brittany by the hand and stalked forward again. I then added a whisper. "AI, I hope you can do this. Open the door when I get close, but close it immediately after Brittany and I pass through, and warn my concubines to get out of the front room, just in case."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.