Noble - Cover

Noble

Copyright© 2008 by acolodude

Chapter 3

The Soldier and police officer were checking a couple of orderlies that were there to pick up MRS Hathaway’s body, they were going to take it to the loading dock where the coroner would pick her up.

Mr. Black was talking to the detectives that had arrived. He yelled “Get those Blasted reporters and media types OFF THIS FLOOR NOW!” he continued, “Arrest anyone that is NOT Hospital Staff, Law Enforcement, or Legal to be here for Trespassing and Interfering with a Federal Investigation!”

MR Takidi after finishing a phone call turned to me and said, “Well everything has been taken care of as far as all of the Wills. However, the Insurance Company is stalling. It isn’t every day that they have to pay out six life insurance policies at the same time to one individual. But because it was murder the accidental death clause would be in effect. That means double the amount is paid for the policy. All four of your grandparents had a million-dollar policy. Each of your parents had half a million-dollar policy. So, the Insurance Company owes you 10 million dollars. On top of that your father also has $400,000 military insurance. The Insurance Company is trying to work out a deal to break up the payment, but I will not allow it.”

I just sat there acting like a fish, opening and closing my mouth trying to figure out what to say or ask.

MR Takidi continued to explain, “Since you’re a minor it will automatically be put into a trust fund. Your grandparents planned in the event they passed, and you were still a minor, which set up an allotment giving you access to half the yearly interest spread across each month. I estimate the amount will be roughly $40,000 dollars per month but to make it easier on everyone it will be $1000 dollar a day. I will be acting as the auditor and Running Elk will be the executor until you reach the age of 21. If something happens to Running Elk the Black Valley Tribe will be authorized to appoint a replacement with my approval of course. And if something should happen to me my firm will appoint a replacement with Running Elk or the Black Valley Tribe’s approval.”

And since I was doing such a good job of acting like a fish, I just kept at it adding a head nod ‘YES’ for good measure.

Right so what am I going to do with ‘$1000 a day?’ you know ‘PARTY’ just doesn’t sound like fun now I thought to myself.

Just over a week later, nine days, the tube was out of my side and the IV was also gone along with all the wires for monitoring me. All that was left was a clip on my finger. It was connected to a pulse oximeter which monitored my oxygen saturation level and pulse. Tammy had been assigned as my private nurse during the day and whoever was on shift at night would just check on me if I woke up.

I still had a Soldier and/or police officer at my door checking everyone who came into my room.

Tammy Noga was a 19-year-old Army National Guard SGT 68W20M6 which is the Army’s version of a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN). I still think she looks just like Jessica Simpson only her hair is cut short like a pixie cut. I love her blue eyes and wonderful smile. It can stop you dead in your tracks as well as destroy your thought processes. Being older did not matter to me and it seemed like it did not matter to her either. We were very quickly becoming better than friends and I know for a fact she was not around when I was told about my pending fortune. You can usually tell when someone is doing something they enjoy or are just being nice.

The on-call doctor had just informed Running Elk and me that I would be discharged in the morning. Tammy would be checking on me daily at home and helping me continue my physical therapy and changing my dressings. It still hurt if I got excited and started breathing too hard and/or too fast, but I was getting better every day.

Running Elk told me that I would be moving to my Grandpa’s ranch which was next to and partially on Black Valley Reservation. This was necessary to keep Social Services happy.

MR Black came in as the doctor left and said, “My people found information that shows MRS Hathaway was in serious debt beyond reason, and probably was being blackmailed. Phone messages on her answering machine from an unnamed male gave instructions to call a number that rings at a payphone outside the hospital. The unnamed male voice was a dead end. We will continue to investigate this further but really don’t have any leads now.”

I asked, “MR Black do you know why my family was killed?”

He answered, “It could have been any number of things, but most likely one of your father’s jobs followed him home. I’m sorry Snow Eagle.”

I asked, “Am I still in danger; is that why there are guards at my door.”

“We really don’t know, considering MRS Hathaway’s attempt it’s better to be safe than sorry.” MR Black said.

Running Elk said, “You will not need them at the ranch the tribe will be taking care of watching over you. Nobody can get on the ranch without the tribe seeing them a long way out.”

The next morning Tammy switched the clip on my finger from the wall mounted monitor to a little one she had hanging over my shoulder at my hip. And she giggled as she did it when I made a face and rolled my eyes.

“Behave or I will kick your butt mister. Have a seat in the wheelchair and I will push you out of here.” Tammy said with a beautiful smile.

“Anything you say Tammy.” I said with a smile as I sat in the wheelchair. I had finally gotten over the fish act.

Tammy pushed me to the exit where we found Running Elk waiting next to a limo. An orderly took the wheelchair as soon as I got out of it and Tammy helped me to climb into the back seat. “Move over silly.” Tammy said as she climbed in next to me. Running Elk got in front next to the driver who began driving to the airport.

Tammy and Running Elk helped me out of the SUV and walked me to a private jet. After getting me seated and buckled Tammy took a seat across from me buckling herself in.

“What are you doing Tammy?” I asked as she was smiling from the seat across from me.

“Don’t you want me as your nurse anymore?” Tammy asked.

“Sure, I just didn’t expect you to move.” I spoke.

“It is just temporary for now, but the pay is great and I like you too.” Tammy said looking embarrassed.

We flew straight to the Black Valley Reservation and were met by two SUVs. We all got in the first one as our luggage was being loaded into the second one.

Running Elk said, “Our driver is Little Dove Rivers. She is the daughter of my brother Two Rivers. Two Rivers was killed while serving in the Army 5 years ago. Her mother died in a car crash a year before that, so she has been living with me ever since.”

Little Dove was driving the first SUV and smiled when Running Elk introduced her to everyone. She seemed a little embarrassed but happy. It was a short 30-minute drive to the ranch. When we pulled up to the main house, I found that I still was suffering from fish-itis. I didn’t know it was contagious until I saw Tammy appeared to be suffering just like me. We both were sitting there opening and closing our mouths without saying anything, not even making any sounds either. How could you blame us, the house was a ranch style two level home looking like it was easily over 2000 square feet.

On the right of the house maybe 20 yards away was a garage with three individual oversized garage doors on the front. It looked like you might be able to put more than three cars in it with room to spare. On the left a little more than 30 yards from the house was a riding stable and barn combination. I had been here several times and never noticed the size or anything else for that matter. It must be the fact that it was now mine that made the difference.

We parked right out front and climbed out of the SUV and went in the house. Little Dove was 18 years old and resembled Neve Campbell except her dark brown hair was in a braid that hung all the way down to her butt. Her hazel eyes almost looked green when the light hit them just right. She was about 6” shorter than my 5’11” but was a lot stronger that you might expect.

When the guys from the second SUV brought our luggage over, she picked up my suitcase, one of the 48”X24”X10” nylon rolling kind and Tammy’s slightly bigger 50”X30”X10” and carried not rolled them up the stairs to our bedrooms calling us as she went. “Follow me and I will show you your bedrooms.”

There were four guest bedrooms that shared a full bathroom. Two along the left and right side of the upstairs. The Master bedroom was along the back wall and had a huge Master bathroom.

Tammy was shown to the first guest bedroom on the right as Little Dove was using the first one on the left. I of course was given the Master bedroom.

The downstairs had a vaulted greeting area. There were two toilet and sink bathrooms on the left, a large closet to the right of the main door. The stairs to take you up to the next level were straight back from the main entrance. To the left of the stairs was the study and between them was a door leading to the indoor pool running the length of the house. Along the right side was an exercise room which also contained a Jacuzzi, sauna and mini bathroom that had a toilet sink and shower. On the right side of the stairs was the kitchen with a door to the exercise area and pool. To the right of the greeting area and in front of the kitchen was the dining area with a dining table that could seat twelve. Four oversized chairs that two people could sit next to each other in snuggly or one person very comfortably were in the greeting area. There was a couch loveseat and recliner in the library along with a large wooden desk and beautiful high-back office chair.

Little Dove would have the job of running the ranch house. She would be doing the cooking and cleaning along with anything else that needed to be done. Any heavy or serious work and she just had to call Running Elk and he would send someone to help or do the work. She would send a list and supplies were brought to her.

We settled in and Running Elk and the others left.

Tammy said “Snow Eagle change into a swimsuit and meet me at the pool. We have time to start your physical therapy today. MARCH!”

‘Please call me Eagle’ I asked as I slowly started for my room.

I went to my room with Tammy almost pushing me the entire way and changed into a swimsuit. Tammy had gone to her room once she pushed me into mine and closed the door.

“You don’t want me to have to help you get changed!” Tammy said through the door as she walked to her bedroom.

I smiled at that comment and then thought to myself maybe I would.

When I walked out of my room Tammy was coming out of hers. She was wearing a short robe that reached mid-thigh. She had a towel over her arm and smiled when she saw me. I was wearing my suit and deck shoes with no shirt on. When I saw her towel, I snapped my fingers and quickly went into my room for a towel for myself. Tammy was waiting at my door smiling when I came out with my towel. We walked down to the pool area together. Little Dove was setting up a sandwich bar for lunch after we were done.

My physical therapy started out easy with me waist deep in the pool which was 12 feet across by 30 feet long and went from 4 feet at the shallow end to 12 feet at the deep end dropping 2 feet every 6 feet. Tammy had me walk back and forth across the 12 feet width in waist deep water for 20 minutes. I think it was around 25 trips back and forth. I was very tired, and it was slightly painful to breath due to the increased rate and deeper volume the exercising was forcing me to do.

Tammy put the pulse oximeter {the monitor that had been hanging on my hip}clip on my finger when I was done. I was showing 94% oxygen saturation and a pulse rate of 112. Little Dove asked me what I wanted on my sandwich and she made it for me so I could stay sitting down. After 15 minutes I was up to 97% saturation and my pulse was back down to 64. We all ate lunch together and just chatted with each other.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.