A Chef's Journey - Cover

A Chef's Journey

Copyright© 2008 by Allan Joyal

Chapter 2: Jason - Initial Run

It was the lowest moment in my life when I heard George ordering Rebecca around and realized that he had somehow talked her into some kind of perverted sex game. I felt like I had failed her utterly, and that made it worse.

But while depression can be consoling for those who have nothing else to support them, it does not feed you or keep a roof over your head. I had given up my car in Salt Lake City after the old thing threw a rod and the engine froze up. A junkyard gave me fifty dollars for it. As he did, he mentioned that I might find an escape up in Wyoming, as there were a lot of small towns where a man might hide from the world and think for a while. I ended up hitching a ride with an old trucker and getting dropped off in a tiny town up in the mountains.

The town was tiny compared to anything I expected, and only a few people seemed to be about. I checked most of the smaller stores and shops, but no one was hiring. I was beginning to despair when I found a discarded paper, which had an ad for a cook at a small resort restaurant. I ended up asking a passerby if I could use his cell phone, and called the number.

The ad was legit and proved to be for a small summertime inn, wintertime ski resort located about ten miles out of town. I explained my lack of transportation to the man who answered and after a short conversation he promised to pick me up in about thirty minutes.

I waited as instructed until an extremely beat-up Ford pickup pulled up in front of me. "You're Jason O'Neill right?" a crusty voice said through the window.

"Yes," I replied and held up the two suitcases I had.

"Throw those in the back and climb in," the voice said. "I figure we'll do the chat on the way, and then you can audition for me tonight at dinner."

I followed the instructions and climbed into the cab. I'm not sure what I expect to find, but there was a blond man with a number of old scars, holding onto the steering wheel as I buckled in.

"Nice to meet you Jason, I'm Robert," he said as the truck started to pull away from the curb. "Sorry to make this a bit abrupt, but I've only got my sister watching the place, and can't stay away too long."

I nodded. "That's understandable. But if you do not hire me, can I get a ride back to town later? I cannot stay here if I'm not working."

Robert laughed. "If you can cook without burning the food, I'll probably hire you, but I do have questions. Especially concerning why a young man like you arrives in town with two suitcases, and nothing else. You aren't on the run from the law or anything."

I sighed. "Not the law, but some very bad memories, which are probably going to be nightmares for a while yet, ' I replied thinking of my lack of sleep since I had left Phoenix. "I just need to be far away from those memories for a while."

Robert seemed to nod in understanding. "That can occur, and this is a good place to find yourself sometimes. Now I guess I should ask if you have cooking experience."

I smiled. "Well, for the last two years I've been asked to cook for just about every barbeque, party and other event held by my family and friends. I guess I'd call myself an amateur who wants to see if I can make a career out of cooking."

Robert laughed. "Oh, Patricia is going to love you. Well, I guess the next part is to see how you do in our little kitchen. Fortunately, we do not have a huge crowd staying at the resort, so it shouldn't be too hard to keep up with the customers. Now is there anyone you want to contact and let them know you're here?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.