A True Tale - Cover

A True Tale

Copyright© 2008 by acolodude

Chapter 6

The group was waiting for the old man to arrive. The tables had again been arranged in the corner to allow them all to sit around the old man in order to be able to hear his tale. The inn keeper was no fool he insisted on more money for the trouble of moving the tables together and serving their large group. The men all knew he was just taking advantage of the fact they all wanted to listen to the old man's tale. One of the more wealthy men suggested moving the group to his house which was large enough to seat them all, the problem being providing the meal, drinks and stuff needed to support them. Several other men said they would pay for additional help and some of the costs for food and drinks. The rest said they would also contribute what they could.

The old man arrived and they asked if he would rather join them at the home of the wealthy man.

The old man said he could sit and eat anywhere he was invited. They had already paid for the dinner and would meet at the home of Dago Kronk for breakfast.

The food was brought out and everyone quietly ate their fill. A keg of ale had been brought out and set in the center of the table so goblets could be filled as needed without having to call for the inn keeper or his servants.

The old man stood and excused himself in order to use the corner pot. When he returned his goblet was full and everyone was anxiously waiting for him to continue his tale.

The old man took a deep breath and slowly let it out and began to speak...

Deke took the group back to the village he grew up in. He still had a small cottage there just past the edge of the village. The River Inn was at this end of the village and the stable was across from the River Inn. So Keal Bo-Jo Raiffe Kay-Lor Malak and Gada stayed at the River Inn.

The third night there while they were walking to the Inn for dinner from Deke's cottage they heard a ruckus. As they got closer they could hear the sound of fighting. They slowed down out of caution and were readying themselves for possible attack. Just as they reached the entrance to the Inn a man flew out through the breaking door and slammed into Keal almost knocking him down.

Gada helped keep Keal from being knocked down as Kay-Lor and Malak caught the flying man as he bounced off of Keal.

A bugbear standing over 7' carrying a 4' long stalagmite as a club walked out the door saying "Where is the poor excuse of a human".

As the bugbear came down the steps Keal said, "Leave now or die GOBLOID scum!"

The bugbear kept walking but looked toward Keal and said, "Open your foul wind maker again and I will pound your head into your chest to stop it."

Keal replied, "You may have one try then I will kill you."

The bugbear quickly lunged at Keal swinging his club downward to strike Keal in the head. Keal just side stepped the swing drawing his sword from over his shoulder slashing across the bugbear's right forearm in the process. The wound was so bad the bugbear's hand was barely attached and totally useless. He had to grip his club with his left hand only.

Screaming a war cry the bugbear stepped in again to attack swinging parallel to the ground at Keal's midsection. Keal turned with the swing pivoting in a circle as the club made contact moving with the force of the blow to minimize the amount of force the blow could deliver and allow Keal to remain within sword length of the bugbear.

Keal followed through and struck the bugbear's left upper arm cutting it off and hacking all three blades into his chest with enough force to knock the bugbear off his feet. Four hobgoblins had followed the bugbear out of the Inn and one was now blowing a horn. Raiffe Kay-Lor Gada and Malak each killed a hobgoblin as Bo-Jo quickly climbed the side of the Inn up onto the roof in order to look which way the one's called would be coming from and just how many would be coming.

The village guard all twelve of them responded to the horn as did Deke and Tia. Bo-Jo called out pointing toward the tree line just east of the village. Close to twenty Goblins on dire wolves were charging toward the village. Tia counted 17 of each and told her father as they met up with the rest of their group at the same time as the village guards.

Keal had just finished killing the bugbear as they all arrived and said, "Welcome to the festivities."

The Goblins and wolves were less than 60 yards away and closing fast. Everyone drew a range weapon of some sort. Each quickly killed a wolf; this did in fact also kill 3 Goblins as they were thrown to the ground when their ride was killed.

14 Goblins charged the group and seven were cut down my Deke and Keal's group. The other 7 were killed by the village guard but they had one seriously wounded by a spear to the belly and another with a sword cut to the upper leg. Keal healed the spear injury to keep the guardsman from dying and the town healer treated the sword wound.

Deke asked what was the start of all this. Keal said to ask the guy on the ground as he pointed to the guy that had been thrown into him. He was unconscious and looked ok otherwise.

Wren Zhun a 5'9" tall blue eyed dirty blonde haired ½ elf Ranger introduced himself after he regained consciousness. He was just shorter than Deke with the same build only slightly thinner. He explained that the bugbear had been picking on everyone in the Inn forcing them to wager against him in a competitions of dart throwing. Wren beat him so the bugbear started to beat on Wren. The Inn keeper and several others confirmed this story.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.