Something Like That

by Sam Becket

Copyright© 2008 by Sam Becket

Romantic Story: Dave meets Karen at the county fair, however their lives are going in two different directions. Can love wait? With apologies to Tim McGraw

Tags: mt/ft   Romantic  

So there I sat. Waiting at the airport for my flight to begin boarding. Listening to my iPod and reading the latest issue of Sports Illustrated, and trying to figure out how I was going to cram 5 days of partying into the 3 day weekend I'd given myself. It had been a long time since I'd taken a break. I'd started my own landscaping business right out of high school, and done very well for myself, well enough to start considering hiring some help, but that could wait until after the weekend in New Orleans, where I was meeting some of my HS friends for Mardi Gras. It would be nice to see them, to catch up on old times, and to live a weekend like a college student. I sometimes thought about what I had missed out on by not going, but I just didn't feel like school was for me. And I tried not to think about it too much, because it always made me think of her...


It was the labor day weekend. I was 17, almost 18. I had graduated high school in June, and where most of my friends were getting ready to leave for college, I had been starting my landscaping business. I had been cutting lawns and cleaning yards since I had been 10 years old, and had managed to save most of what I had earned. So I bought a new truck and a riding lawn mower, along with some edging and clipping accessories, and started out on my own. It was pretty easy as I had been cutting most of the neighborhood anyway, and just by word of mouth I wound up with 40 contracts to cut lawns once a week at $20 a cut. Almost 42 grand a year for an 18 year old is not bad at all. And take into consideration this was before gas was 4 bucks a gallon so most of that was profit.

It was time for the annual county fair. I really did not want to go, but after taking abuse from my friends and knowing it would be the last time we would all be together for awhile I relented and decided to go. So I threw on my trademark white t-shirt and blue jeans, jumped in the truck, and after stopping for a Coke and some gas, heading out to the county fair.

I parked in the back and walked up to where everyone waited to buy tickets, and saw my friend Jimmy right away.

"Hey Jimbo!!"

"Sup Dave!"

"Where's everyone else?"

"Most are here already, I just got my tix, I'm waiting on my cousin Karen to get hers. Why don't you go and get yours and we'll wait for you."

"Sounds like a plan."

So I got on line and kept an eye out for just who Karen was. Then I saw her. Oh. My. God. She was beautiful. Long blonde hair that led down to one of the shortest miniskirts I have ever seen. You know how some guys are either breast guys or ass guys? I always though I was more of a breast guy until I saw Karen for the first time. From that moment on I have been all about the legs and ass. I watched her, well rather, her miniskirt, walk over and join Jimmy. Luckily I was able to pull my head upwards as he pointed me out and she gave me a little wave. I nodded and waved back and continued to move ahead on line. I bought one of those armbands for $15 that let you ride anything and everything and then joined Jimmy and Karen.

"All set"

"Cool, Dave, this is my cousin Karen"

"Very nice to meet you"

"You too"

So with that brief introduction we were off. Met up with Kenny, his sister Melanie, and Eric, along with his girlfriend Dawn. The four of us guys had been friends since 1st grade. We called ourselves "The Four Horsemen", due to the fact that we had all been huge pro wrestling fans when we were kids, and they were always the coolest group around. Melanie and Dawn were used to our act, but Karen seemed a bit quiet, however still amused at our antics.

We made a loop of the carnival planning our attack. Figured we'd hit some of the more popular rides first, getting them out of the way, then hit the midway for some games and something to eat and drink. At sundown there would be a fireworks display, and we would try and find a spot to hang and watch that. We did the rides, all the lovely ones designed to try and get teenagers to puke as frequently as possible, but luckily none of us feel into that trap. Mel wanted to hit the Ferris wheel before we got to the midway so we got on line and I tried to be smooth about setting myself up in line right next to Karen. Jimmy, of course, noticed this and gave me a sly smile. I raised a questioning eyebrow at him and he shrugged, as if to say, "whatever you want to do bro" and I nodded back at him. I opened the door to the ride for Karen and let her in, then slid in next to her. I waited until the ride took off then I turned to her.

"So, having fun so far?"

"Yes, you guys are quite a crew"

"Well, we have been at it for 10 years"

"Jimmy used to tell me at family get-togethers about his friends, but I always thought he was embellishing it a bit, now I think he didn't give me the whole story!"

We both laughed. She had this musical quality to her laugh, and her smile lit up her face.

"So where do you live, I know Jimmy has family in Atlanta, is that you guys?"

"Yeah but I love it here in Marietta, it's so pretty. I haven't been here in years."

"Yeah it is nice here, I love it."

"So are you going to UGA with Jimmy?"

"No, college really isn't my thing, I started my own business out of high school, and it's going pretty well."

"Really? What kind of business?"

"Landscaping, I've always loved working outdoors."

"That's cool, but you're so young, don't you think you are gonna miss out on being able to have fun?"

"Yeah, maybe some, but I figure there will be plenty of time for fun, and I'll be making enough money to be able to have that kind of fun whenever I want"

"Well, I can't wait to go to school"

"Where are you going?"

"I'm going to UNC-Charlotte, a few of my girlfriends are going there and we thought it would be fun to go together, I'm going to be studying education."

"Ah, a teacher in the making?"

"You got it, hopefully in music"

"You play?"

"Sing, actually, oh wow look at how pretty everything is from up here!"

I smiled, as I'd seen this view before.

We talked a bit more on the way down, with her telling me about her friends in Atlanta. When we reached the bottom we got out and rejoined the group. Jimmy elbowed me in the ribs and Kenny whispered some good-natured teasing my way. I just smiled and said nothing. I did notice the girls hung back a bit and when I glanced back I saw them giggling and Dawn was pointing in my direction. We hit the midway grabbed some food and sodas and sat down to eat. I knew that I shouldn't have chosen the pulled pork sandwich but I did, and as usual some of it ended up on my shirt. I took the ribbing in stride and just said that's why I wore the t-shirt, so I wouldn't mess up anything good. Karen laughed and said I should buy a red shirt for next time so the sauce would blend in as she passed me some extra napkins. We finished eating and headed off for the games.

 
There is more of this story...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.