Sanctuary Book 2: Protectors of Earth - Cover

Sanctuary Book 2: Protectors of Earth

Copyright© 2008 by JohnyR

Chapter 4: Revolution

The group sitting around the table waited for their new friend Benny to lay out the plan to stop the incoming meteor. They knew their enemy, the Sabori, had set it on a collision course to hit the Earth in five years.

Secondary was how to deal with those damn Sabori that seemed intent to wipe out all life on their planet. The Sabori had to be stopped. If not, then it would just happen again. Of that there was no doubt.

Benny, for his part, realized that in five thousand cycles, this was the first time he was unsure of how to proceed.

After a minute of uneasy silence, Buck could tell Benny was very nervous. Can an AI be nervous? he thought to himself. One look at Benny convinced him that at least Benny could. "Benny how much help can we expect from this captain on the Balask ship?" Buck finally asked.

Benny considered it for a long time, well at least a long time for an AI. About .005 of a second. "Captain Tomias has already put his life and that of his family in grave danger by just requesting if he could help the Earth. The High Council will decide whether or not he will be put in prison or allowed to help Earth defend itself against the Sabori," Benny answered.

"He sounds like a remarkable person. I'd like to meet him sometime," stated Jet.

Benny processed the idea and decided he needed to give them some history on the Fergus race. They needed to truly understand what was happening in the systems around their little planet. Searching through his almost unlimited database, he decided to start at the beginning.

"The Fergus race was once a very arrogant people. Their technology led them to believe that they were superior to all other races. They expanded out into their own system, conquering the races around their home planet Fergussia. Once they realized that no race could withstand their superior technology, they expanded their dominance to other systems and races."

The others sat spellbound, listening to Benny describe this super race of beings, "Within two thousand cycles there was no race or planet within the fifteen know systems, that wasn't under Fergus control. That is not to say that most systems were not better off under the Fergus. Many races were close to your technology before the meteor struck. Most were within a millennia of destroying their own planets, from either a ecological standpoint, or open war between different groups on their planet. They simply were not in a position to defy the Fergus when the battleship fleets came into orbit around their backward planet. Most were conquered in less than five of your Earth days. Some gave up without a fight.

There were some inside the Fergus military, who felt that their race had gone too far. These people felt the Council of the time had forgotten that just because you could do something, did not mean you should do something."

Jet spoke up agreeing. "There is an old Earth saying that the Fergus must have forgot. 'With great power comes even greater responsibility'."

Benny smiled. "It would seem that similar sayings span the known systems. I have over three thousand samples almost to the word, from as many different races."

Jet nodded speculating. "It would seem that truth is universal then, my friend. If the Fergus were so wise, how did they let themselves get so far from the truth of wisdom? Something must have happened to bring them back from the edge of insanity, because now they are here to help us."

Benny explained. "It would be easier if I could show you what happened. I have the digital records in my database. If you would allow me to, I can send them directly to your minds."

Seeing the worry on the others faces, he assured them, "It is absolutely safe, I will simply be taking you on a journey where you can see what happened rather than just hearing about it."

Looking around, Buck got the approval from everyone. "OK Benny, there's another old Earth saying that a picture is worth a thousand words, so show us," he agreed.

"Do we need to do anything special for this to work?" Tex asked.

Not really. Just close your eyes and relax and you will simply see these memories as if they are your own."

Everyone settled back a little and closed their eyes.

Buck could have sworn the next second he was on the top of a hill watching as massive ships high above shot some kind of missiles into a large town in the distance. The impact was devastating as entire buildings were turned to dust and ash along with the occupants inside. Small figures could be seen running into the streets as they tried to find a sanctuary from the hell above. They just seemed to disappear from the blast of blue light emitted by the bombs. Nothing was left, not even rubble from the buildings, just piles of dust blowing in the breeze. With each bomb dropped the landscape simply disappeared, wiped clean of any sign that the area had ever been inhabited.

The view switched from the surface to inside a ship that was wreaking havoc on the planet below.

Except for the light blue skin, the people around him looked human. Buck heard a tall male muttering about the insanity of their actions.

He whispered to the shorter man working beside him at the firing controls. "What purpose is being served destroying the very existence of an entire race. When did we become gods?" the man asked.

The shorter man looked at him as if he was insane for even suggesting they were doing something wrong. "Quiet, do you want to end up on the surface below too?" he admonished the taller man.

Jet's mind flashed again. He watched as the same tall man now stood alone. Before him was a massive bench, a group of people sat behind the bench with malice in their eyes.

He told these people "The Fergus have lost our way." Blank stares were all he saw on the people sitting behind the bench. So he continued, "The power the Fergus control has destroyed our sense of fairness and empathy to other lifeforms."

That seemed to get a rise out of one of them. "You are out of order commander! How dare you address the high council with such brazenness," screamed a woman as she slammed a metal ball down on the bench. "I've had enough of this blasphemy! You commander, are charged with treason against the Fergus empire. But since your military records are exemplary till this incident, you will not be executed. I have decided to let you ferment in Astonia Prison till you confess your sins, and rid yourself of these insane and harmful ideals."

Slamming down the ball again brought an end to the proceedings. "Guards, take the commander immediately to Astonia, I don't want to ever see his face again!" she screamed, as a tear slipped down her cheek.

The man was heartbroken, as the guards grabbed each of his arms he turned back to woman leading the high council. "Goodbye mother, I hope that in time you will come to understand my words here today," he said softly, as they led him away.

Bear's mind watched as the guards tried to make the man confess his sins against the empire. Every form of torture was used on him, and still he would not confess. His broken body was thrown into a filthy cell after each session. They gave him just enough food, and water to keep his pure heart beating so they could repeat the process again the next day.

Then all their minds flashed forward, seeing the man older now and being set free.

The massive prison gate opened, the laughing guards unceremoniously shoved him out. "Come back sometime commander, we'll keep your cell open," the biggest guard yelled, as the tortured man lay sprawled on rocky road.

Even on the day of his release, the guards had made sure his light blue back was covered in fresh bloody whip marks over the hundreds of other scars.

Getting to his feet, he straightened his bloodied back and left the laughter behind. He walked with a limp now as his right leg had been broken in torture, his foot twisted outward a little. The guards had taken great pleasure in making sure it was never set correctly. Still he could walk.

All he wore as he walked down the empty road from the prison was a pair of ragged pants. No shirt covered his torn back. No shoes protected his battered feet.

The vision closed in, even with all his discomfort there was a slight smile on his face. His eyes were filled with determination, the light of truth and justice blazed brightly in them. He had not been broken. Just as steel becomes stronger by fire, his trials in prison made him sure of his path now.

Even with her eyes closed, Shera was crying for this good man. Her heart went out to him, as she watched him hobble down the lonely road.

The vision changed again as she watched. He sat in a small room with others, still speaking against the tyranny of his own people and the high council.

Bill watched as time jumped forward again to show the man now leading a ragtag army against the fully trained government troops. Many rebels died that day. The battlefield was strewn with bodies, all fighting for the freedom of other races. But the man was not among the dead. He stood on a hillside shedding tears for the loss of his friends.

Bill's throat was tight with sorrow, but he smiled knowing the good man still carried on.

The vision changed in all their minds. The man was now older, as he stood in front of thousands of his race swearing an oath of allegiance to the newly formed government. Sitting behind him was his family who had survived the civil war, his four wives and three sons.

Beside them sat his mother, the very person who sent him to hell and back. She was a changed person, her son's light of truth and justice glowed brightly in her eyes as she listened to him speak.

He vowed that never again would aggressive actions be used against the weaker species of the systems. He then added that all the races would be offered a chance to join a new federation of planets. All that joined had to accept that never again would any form of aggression be used against other lifeforms.

"From this day forward, we will seek to observe other species for the purpose of knowledge only. If after a time we decided they are advanced enough, we will offer them a membership into our new federation. Except for observing these weaker races, there will be no form of interaction with them until they have reached the stars on their own."

The massive crowd cheered the great man, holding up his hand he finished, "We will no longer allow any form of aggression from any of our race. Breaking either the aggression law or observance law is punishable by death, or expulsion from all known systems. Be forewarned, no quarter will be given to anyone breaking these two laws."

The images disappeared from their minds, as understanding rushed in.

"Captain Tomias has made his life forfeit just by sending you here hasn't he Benny?" asked a sorrowful Buck.

Benny nodded. "He has indeed, but he realizes that times have changed and so should the High Council."

"The man I have shown you was Josias Freeman, he lived over twenty thousand of your cycles ago. The average lifespan of a Fergus lifeform is ten to fifteen thousand cycles. They are almost immortal compared to you humans and of course that includes Razor and Shera also."

"Damn, I'd go nuts after the first thousand years!" exclaimed Tex.

Benny was quiet now. He didn't know if Captain Tomias would approve of his next words or not. He knew that the Captain could be monitoring his discussion, and was a little worried. Still he felt it necessary to make the group fully understand the sacrifice his Captain had made.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.