The Outsider - Cover

The Outsider

Copyright© 2008 by Jay Cantrell

Chapter 11

Thanksgiving was a boisterous affair at the Miles household. Tara’s mother joined the group, so Brock had decided to have Thanksgiving by himself.

No amount of persuasion from anyone could change his mind.

“It would be awkward,” he told Leslie. “I know why you wanted to invite her and I respect your decision to have whoever you wish there. I hope you’ll respect my decision that I don’t want to spend a holiday with Erin Wyatt. I wasn’t thrilled with the prospect of spending it with Tara but she and I seem to have worked out a truce--or, more nearly, I’ve worked out a way not to voice my displeasure at her very existence. I’m not positive I could do that with Mrs. Wyatt and I’m certain that if I managed it would take longer than a few hours.”

Leslie was mortified when Mel announced on Thursday morning that she planned to have Thanksgiving with Brock instead of with her family.

“I don’t understand your thinking, Mother,” Mel said. “You need to spend some time in Wilkins to get a true picture of what happened. Tara, I don’t mean to sound harsh but I will. You and your mother are two of the worst culprits. You didn’t do anything overtly but he counted on you to stand up for him. When you refused it left him totally alone.

“Your invitation to Mrs. Wyatt has done the same thing to him. I’m going to make sure he knows that someone is on his side and has his feelings and best interests at heart.”

Mel showed up at Brock’s house shortly after 10 am He had planned on a quiet microwave Thanksgiving which he offered to share but Mel wouldn’t hear of it.

“I’ve found five restaurants serving dinner,” she said with a smile. “I’ll pick where we eat; you pay the bill.”

Brock and Mel spent a nice afternoon of dining without the clean up and then returned to his house to watch football on TV. Brock was surprised but not unhappy when Mel snuggled up to him on the couch to watch the Cowboys and Titans battle.

“I want you to consider something,” she said. “Please don’t answer now. Just think about it. I think I know what your first reaction will be so I would rather you ponder things for a little while.”

Brock suddenly was on edge, something that didn’t go unnoticed by Melanie who had her head on his shoulder.

“It’s nothing bad,” she said with a laugh. “At least I don’t think so. I want you to think about how much you would charge me to rent a room from you here next semester. Don’t say anything right now. Just think about that question and that question alone. Don’t worry about any other questions that I know you have. Deal?”

Brock chuckled to himself. That was easier said than done.

“I plan to be at the courthouse in Wilkins next week,” she continued. “If you could have an answer to that and that alone, I would appreciate it.”

“You don’t have to come to the courthouse,” he said. “In fact, it might be better for you if you didn’t. I’m not going to be a very popular person--if I can get more unpopular--in Wilkins. I don’t want the fallout to reach you.”

“Are you kidding me?” Mel asked. “I wouldn’t miss it for the world. When the news hits about Eric Veneble’s parentage I want to see the looks on their faces. Besides, I need to know if I’m living next door to a multimillionaire or just a plain old millionaire.”


Corbly’s magical football season ended the following day against Cedar Grove. It was a close game but Cedar Grove was simply a much better team than the Conquistadors.

Basketball season had already begun and Brock had fielded questions from the coach about playing. He’d played on the freshman team at Lafayette but it wasn’t something he particularly enjoyed so he passed. Besides, he figured he would have enough going on in the next few months.

The hearing in Wilkins was everything he had anticipated. He wasn’t surprised to see Melanie sitting in the gallery but he was a little shocked to see Leslie, Mrs. Wyatt and two people he didn’t recognize sitting around her.

This was the first of several trips to the Lewis County Courthouse Brock would be making over the next couple of months. Lynn had steadfastly refused to settle any lawsuit without an admission of culpability and none of the defendants seemed interested in stepping up to take responsibility for what happened more than two years before.

The city and county had agreed to a settlement but only if it could wait until after the general election in November because each elected official knew the populace would voice its displeasure at the ballot box.

When the visiting judge gaveled the hearing to order the courtroom was filled only with the few who knew the details. Lynn had made sure there would be a couple of news crews there, too, but the judge had made the cameras wait outside.

“Miller (ne DeVoe) vs. Lewis County, et al, is called. I understand we have a settlement agreement in place. I’m interested in the details of this settlement,” the judge intoned. He clearly was enjoying this.

“Yes, your honor,” Lynn Collingwood stated as she rose from her seat. “The City of Wilkins and Lewis County officials have offered a settlement in the wrongful prosecution and detainment of Jordan DeVoe, now known as Brock Miller. The defendants wish the financial terms to be confidential but my client vehemently objects. However, the settlement will go forth regardless of your decision. But in the interest of the public welfare, we ask you to rule against the defendant’s motion and allow the entire document to be public record. We have three amicus curiae briefs from the National Association of Newspaper Editors, the Organization for Public Information and the Sunshine Law Foundation.

“Your honor, please note from the minutes I’ve provided that no mention has been made of this issue in public session by either the Wilkins City Council or the Lewis County Commission. You will also note that the Sunshine Law Foundation has filed a Freedom of Information Act request to this court. It will be the first of many you receive if you allow the defendants’ motion to carry.”

The judge nodded toward the defendants’ table.

“Your honor, we think our motion speaks for itself,” the acting law administrator said.

“I agree,” the judge told the room. “It certainly does speak for itself and I don’t like what it is saying. I can see many compelling reasons to open this settlement up to public scrutiny and only one reason to keep it confidential. You want to cover the backsides of the elected officials who committed this travesty. Defendants’ motion is denied. The record will be open. Let’s get on with this. I believe one requirement of the settlement is a statement in open court from the defendants.”

The county law administrator stood again and began to speak but the judge interrupted him.

“Counselor, the settlement states clearly that the admission comes from the defendants, not their attorney,” he said. “Your job is appointed. It is not elected. Your clients are the ones who will need to perform the recitation of fact.”

The man and woman at the table blanched. Brock recognized them as the Mayor of Wilkins and the President of the Lewis County Commission.

“Your honor, my clients are unprepared to speak,” the lawyer said. “We assert that as their paid employee I am authorized to speak on their behalf.”

The judge stared at the defendants.

“Your assertion is incorrect, counselor,” he boomed. “The defendant representing the City of Wilkins will rise.”

The portly mayor got to his feet.

“You don’t need prepared remarks,” he was told. “You know the story by heart. Now speak.”

The mayor stammered for a minute then began.

“Certain elected officials from the City of Wilkins may have participated in the concealment of evidence that led to the unfortunate arrest and conviction of the plaintiff,” he said. “Although the city itself was not part of the action, the people who committed the alleged acts were employees of the city.”

Lynn was on her feet before Brock could even nudge her.

“Unacceptable, your honor,” she yelled. “The settlement calls for an acceptance of culpability on the defendants’ behalf. Shuttling the blame on unnamed people is neither in the letter nor the spirit of the settlement. We’ll be heading to trial, I guess. I’m sorry to have wasted your honor’s time.”

The mayor turned even paler at the word “trial” but the judge almost cracked a smile. He managed to keep his mouth from turning up by barking at the defendants.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.