Second Chance - Cover

Second Chance

Copyright© 2008 by Coaster2

Chapter 6

Adam knocked on Lloyd's door frame and the big man, currently on the phone, waved him in. Adam closed the door behind him and Lloyd's eyes widened in surprise. He finished his conversation quickly and hung up.

"What's up, Adam?"

"I'm afraid we've got a problem, Lloyd. Something horrible happened yesterday and I don't know what to do about it."

Lloyd had sat up in his chair to pay close attention. "What happened?"

Adam began to tell the story of the birthday lunch and what had spawned it and how they were having a bit of fun until that fateful moment. He related with pain the moment that Brent had recognized Jeanette on the stage and the aftermath. Both Adam and John were very worried about their friend and both had tried to call him on his cell with no result. Adam had called the house, but it just went to the answering machine. He was afraid to call after the supper hour because he didn't know what had happened when Brent went home. He finished his story and sat waiting for Lloyd to respond.

"The poor bastard. No wonder he wants to meet with me privately." Lloyd was looking down at his desk, lost in thought.

"He does? Where are you going to meet him? I need to be there! We've got to help him!" Adam exclaimed.

"Adam, I think it's better if I meet with him alone. He doesn't sound very good, and I don't want to overwhelm him. He must be in shock, and maybe angry. I need to find out what he's thinking and what he wants to talk about. I know you're his good friend, but he called me and I think it's a good idea to let him have his say. Maybe we'll know more when I get back. In the meantime, I want to talk to the sales group, specifically the guys that were at that lunch yesterday."

"Lloyd, someone invited Ron Dixon to that lunch. I have no idea who or why, but he and Dave Terry knew what was going to happen. Both of them knew Jeanette was going to be on that stage and they set this up. Those two assholes are going to answer to me before this is over," Adam spat.

"Cool it, Adam. I assume she was there of her own free will. I don't have any time for Ron, and Dave should know that's not how we act in this place, but just the same, it was Jeanette who chose to be on that stage. Let me find out where Brent is coming from and we can talk then. In the meantime, let's try and keep this from getting all over the place."

"Too late for that, boss. Ron has been telling everyone and anyone about it. He's out to fuck Brent for that problem at the last Christmas party. He now has the perfect way to get even and he's sticking it in to the hilt. I thought he should have been fired last year, but I see that's not part of the corporate doctrine. Groping another guy's wife is allowed, I guess," Adam said in a disgusted voice.

"Cut it out, Adam!" Lloyd said, raising his voice uncharacteristically. "You know better than that. He didn't get away with anything. He's been reprimanded and it's on his record and he knows that the next time that he as much as farts in public, he's gone!"

"Well, show me then. If this isn't the most destructive thing he could do to an employee, I don't know what is. If he gets away with this, he's going to gloat for years about how he didn't just get even, he got ahead." Adam turned, opened the door and stormed out of the office, almost banging into Henry on his way to his office.

"What's got into his bonnet?" the rotund general manager asked.

"Close the door, boss. I've got a sad tale to tell you," Lloyd began.

They were behind closed doors for over an hour while Lloyd told the story Adam had given him, followed by the ensuing discussion of the likely consequences. In the end, Henry let it be known, in no uncertain terms, that he would be with Lloyd when they met Brent at the park that noon. Lloyd knew from experience that there was no talking him out of it. He wondered to himself just how much would be accomplished at this meeting. Finally, at a little before noon, the two men left the office and drove toward Montrose Park.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.