Second Chance - Cover

Second Chance

Copyright© 2008 by Coaster2

Chapter 29

Brent and Tim sat at the kitchen table after the dinner dishes were done. Brent had asked him to stay. There was something he wanted to talk to him about.

"Tim, we don't know each other very well yet. I guess that's my fault. I've been so busy with your mother ... well ... anyway, I haven't spent much time with you," he confessed.

Tim nodded, looking a bit wary, wondering where this conversation was going.

"I wanted to ask you a very important question. Something you don't have to answer right away. Something I want you to think about before you decide," Brent paused. "I would like to adopt you as my son," he started again, carefully. "I want us to be a whole family that you are a part of, just like Andy and Scott. My question to you is ... is that something that you want too?"

Tim was looking straight at his step-father, and then sighed and sat back in his chair.

"I've never had a dad. I mean one who lived with us. You're the first one I've ever had to live with ... you know ... in the same house. You think this is a big deal? I mean, me being your son?" he asked tentatively.

"Yes ... I think it's a very big deal. I never liked the term step-father, or step-son. You are a part of this family, and I want you to be equal with everyone else. I would be proud to have you as a son," he said solemnly.

Tim looked misty-eyed at that point and then pushed the chair back, rose and walked slowly toward Brent. As he stood before him, he held out his hand. Brent looked at it and looked up at Tim, seeing the single tear slide down his cheek. He ignored the offered hand as he got up from his chair, stepping forward to embrace the young man in a firm hug.

"In this house, we don't shake hands, we hug," Brent grinned. "Can I assume you'd be OK with me adopting you?"

Tim nodded, as he stepped back from Brent. "If you're OK, I'm OK," he said with a slight smile. "What about Mom?"

"Why don't you tell her tonight? I'm willing to bet you that she'll be pretty happy too," Brent said confidently.

Brent was right. Bonnie was in tears as Tim told her about Brent's desire to make him his "official son." When they had finished a long conversation, Tim handed to phone to Brent.

"Darling, I can't tell you how much I love you. You are so incredible. Tim is a very happy boy, I can tell you. Why didn't you tell me you wanted to adopt him?" she asked finally.

"I thought it should be his decision, not something that we adults just decided for him. I didn't think I could start to direct him until we had a solid relationship. This was a start toward that goal. I'm glad it worked out so well for us. I asked him to take his time to think about it, but he didn't seem to need it."

"Of course not! How could any kid resist a dad like you," she bragged. "You will get a big reward when I get home on Friday, I promise," she said happily.

"I'll look forward to it. In the meantime, I had a talk with Mrs. Paget this afternoon, and she asked me some embarrassing questions."

"Like what?"

"Like, what was Tim interested in? Was he into any sports? I couldn't tell her. I didn't know. I felt pretty foolish, Bonnie. I have to spend some time with him to find out more about what he's all about before I can give him any guidance."

"I can help you with some of that. I guess I forgot we hadn't talked about Tim. We just picked him up and brought him along with us. We weren't thinking about how it would affect him," Bonnie admitted.

"Yah ... I think you've got that right. The time has come to look after his needs. As much as I miss you, I'm sure he does too. You're the only hook he has to his past fifteen years. Everyone else is new. It's 'Tim Time' in this house," he said with a touch of welcome humor.

"OK ... we can talk more about this when I get home. Sounds like we have some work to do, love," she said emphatically.

They closed off for the night, and Bonnie breathed a sigh of relief and regret. Her new husband had handled a delicate situation beautifully. She sank back in the chair, allowing the accumulated tension to drain out of her. She thought about the remarkable past six months. She had known Brent for only that short time, but it had become the best part of her life. Her patience waiting for the right man had paid off in someone that continued to amaze and reward her with each day that she was with him.

She wondered idly if she had made a good decision in pushing so hard for this new job. Should she have waited a couple of years for the next opportunity? Was she risking too much with Brent and Tim by being away during the week? Was she being selfish and ignoring anything but her own ambition? These were other topics for discussion someday soon.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.