10% Book2 - Cover

10% Book2

Copyright© 2008 by John Wales

Chapter 3

The journey north was delayed a week while I transported some of the Cherokee to the location near the coal and the iron ore deposit. Overburden was removed from both deposits. A small coking operation had to be constructed. I had spent my life cleaning up after improper operations but now I was doing the fouling. My justification was that it was going to be small and when we enlarged the operation, we would make it cleaner each time.

Once the dangers of the coke gas and fumes was mentioned, we worked on making a small cupola. Clay was used over a thin wood form and then heated slowly. Once this was constructed, the hot coke gas was ducted to the cupola and the gases lit. I tried to bake it slowly. Everything I said had to be said many times and I reinforced my claim that the natives needed a written language.

A bloom was made and I had to use ceramic tools to extract it and then beat out the slag. We had no metal hammers. The first thing I did make was a hammer and I had to rely almost completely on Vilchjo and Harpo. A large anvil was next.

The natives had watched and tried to help but I was going to leave them alone. Harpo at least would provide a holographic screen to show them the right way to do something. Education now was much more important than anything else. The world was going to change quickly now.

I left late Sunday night and flew the 1500 kilometre trip in four and a half hours. As soon as I left the mountains the snow disappeared and the land was lush and green in the moonlight. The pod was not that fast in the atmosphere. Boston was small but still one of the largest cities in North America at the time.

I left the pod in what I hoped was clothing that would not seem too out of place. It was good that I was used to the cold air for it was very cold here. I was going to come across as a trapper to start with. I had sold my furs and now had some gold. The coins I had were copies of coins from Roman times. They were worn and had the patina of age about them.

The pod gained altitude to stay out of sight but also had the same chamaeleon abilities as my camping suit.

There were many horses here and I wanted a lot of them as well as donkeys and oxen. They would pull the ploughs later and the latter two were easier to care for.

I was at least twelve kilometres from the centre of town now and began my walk. When I got closer to town I found a market. I drifted through the area while listening to the English dialect that was far from the English that was stored in the computers.

The people I passed, looked at me strangely. The women felt stirred and so did some of the men. Most men resented my looks. The natives had accepted me because of what I had done and probably because I was of another race.

Fresh and salted meat was for sale as well as withered fruit from the year before. Various grains, seeds and roots were shown for sale. I saw leather, hemp rope, and crafts made in a home.

I also saw Africans. From what I knew most if not all were slaves. There was the occasional native and these too might be slaves. I figured the slave had to be very trusted if he was allowed to go into the city to run his master's errands

I felt someone's excitement when I looked at a boy of twelve who quickly turned his head. He came at me intentionally. If I had not been on the lookout, I would not have felt his hands searching for coins.

I was quick and made a grab for him but he was quicker and jerked to one side and fell into an older woman. The woman was too heavy to fall but the boy got up and fled.

A woman managing a stall said, "Did he get your purse?"

The woman looked old but life was hard so I thought she must be less than forty. I felt that she had a kind disposition and I did not get it from her smile. Her eyes were on me now as if she were memorising my features. Humans looked for beauty in a mate so the attributes could be passed down to their children and they too would be chosen.

"No he didn't, Mum."

I had never been robbed before and nobody had even tried. If I had lost something people would run after me to return it. I felt another interested party and saw a scruffy looking girl of ten watching me while I spoke.

I said, "Hello, please pardon my manners. My name is Michael and I'm looking for hemp seeds. Would you know where to find a large quantity of this?"

"What would you be wanting that for?"

"I want to start a farm in the west."

"How many bags are you looking for?"

"As many as I can get. My parents wish some and so do my neighbours."

"Where are you from?"

I gave a big smile and screwed down my politeness and said, "I gave my name, Mum, then what I was looking for and finally an idea of what quantity I want. You have not given me anything but your concern that I was robbed. I do thank you for that."

She looked a little startled and then smiled. "You are absolutely right. I be forgetting my own manners. My name be Molly Jenkins. As you can see I sell clothing that I make or good clean used clothing."

"I'm happy to meet you Molly. I have the same question of you. Do you know where I can get a large quantity of hemp seeds?"

Molly pointed down the street to her right and said, "Go down there to the second place you can turn left and walk for five minutes. You will find Abercrombie and Sons Mercantile. Tell them Molly Jenkins sent you."

"I will do that, Molly. May I look at some of your better clothing?"

"New or used?"

"Whatever a young gentleman might wear to conduct business."

"You are a big one and — I don't think I have anything that will fit you."

"Perhaps you could make me something but I have to change my father's money first."

"The Mercantile will do that."

"That would be good. Perhaps I will go there first and see what the dandies wear along the way."

Molly put her hand over her mouth to laugh and said, "You do that."

"Then I will be seeing you later Molly Jenkins. I thank you for your concern and your directions."

"You are very welcome Sir."

This was a much more civilised place apart from the attempted robbery. It was still a far cry from what my people were like.

The number of people increased. It may be the nearness to the centre of town or the fact that more time had passed. Again I had more people staring at my face and I felt uncomfortable about this.

I found the mercantile with little difficulty. A man behind the counter stared then said, "May I help you, Sir?"

"Good day, Sir. My name is Michael Stewart. Molly Jenkins directed me to this establishment."

"A kind woman that. I'm Charles Abercrombie at your service."

He stuck out his right hand and I remembered this custom in time to shake his. We would give a hug to family and friends.

I said, "Yes she is. I wish to purchase hemp seeds for planting."

"We have the finest Sir. What quantity did you wish?"

"I would take a hundredweight if it's available."

"My, that is a lot."

"Before we go too much further I want to know if you will accept my father's money. Grandfather came from the State of Bologna. My father gave me the last of the coins."

People were nosy now as they were in the future so I said, "Perhaps we could talk in an office?"

"Gladly, Sir.

My pouch was around my neck the same as were the computer and the small med unit. I took the pouch off and slowly poured the nine large gold coins onto the table. There was an indrawn breath. The man was excited.

"May I touch them?"

"Certainly."

The man took one and examined it carefully then put it back as he took another. "I do not recognise the coins but they look to appear to be real gold. What is your wish?"

"I want to purchase the seed then convert the rest into English gold, silver and copper money. Some purchases cannot be made here. Could we discuss the exchange first if you're interested?"

"Our business is certainly interested. May I weigh the coins?"

I picked them up and handed them to the man. He wanted the gold but he did not have the same feeling as the boy had.

The man weighted all of them and used a small knife to check the ductility of the metal to determine how much it was alloyed.

The scale was in the public area so the man went to write the figure but stopped. I said, "I can cipher as well as read."

The man wrote a figure and I knew from his feelings alone that it was too small. I played 21 with him and we wrote numbers back and forth. I went by his feelings alone until I knew he was squeezed but would still make a profit.

When I nodded my head he had nodded too. He went into another room with the aid of a key and then came back with a wide variety of coins. Some were French and some were Spanish. He counted them out and weighted the gold coins. He said, "Is that sufficient, Sir."

"It is, and I thank you. I wish to purchase the seed too. I'm also looking for large portions of silk."

"Silk? We have the best of shirts."

"I wish a bolt of silk."

"That is very expensive."

"Let us discuss the hemp first."

The man did not have the quantity on hand and would have to gather it from other sources. I said, "If it is not too much problem, would you inquire if there is more to be had, the quantity and the price? I could want much more if the price is right."

"I will do that Sir."

I walked around town looking to get a wider range of coins including some of the larger silver variety. A pub sold beer and a meal of mutton. I asked the price first and then haggled. This was another thing new to me. The beer was warm and watery and the mutton I would not have eaten in the life I had left in my time. I had to laugh at myself though. I had a Fellowship Degree in Economics and I was actually haggling over some nearly worthless metal.

I wandered back to Molly and said, "Hello Molly. How was your day?"

"A little disappointing but that's life."

"Slow sales?"

"I have never heard of slow sales but if you mean if I sold a lot then I guess I did not do well."

"Then perhaps you can make me a jacket and pants?"

She gave me a bright smile and said, "Then my day is good after all. What material would you like?" She showed me what she had. None of it was complementary but I made my choice but now I had to tell her the type of jacket I wanted. She understood because the style of jacket was still popular.

I was measured in the street. I took off my jacket and held it firmly as the rest of the figures were gathered.

During the measurements I saw the boy that tried to rob me. Behind him was the girl again. They must be a team. I pretended to not have seen him and got Vilchjo to mark the boy with the drone flying above us.

When Molly finished we talked about the cost and the delivery date. Before we finished I said, "Molly, please keep your eyes on me."

"Why?"

"Always questions. What is the name of the boy that tried to rob me and the name of the girl?"

"How should I know?" I could feel her worry now. This could only be if she were trying to protect them.

"I am not going to turn him in or even beat him or her. They are nearby and trying a second time. Molly!" She had been starting to look around. "Look at me."

"Roger and Linda."

"Thank you, I will not harm that trust."

I watched in my mind as Roger's hand came close to my small pack. When it was very close I said conversationally, "Molly, would you tell Roger and Linda to stay away from my pack?"

Molly was shocked but the children were even more so. Roger fled but Linda could not get far. She walked with a limp that was more noticeable when she hurried. I caught up to the girl and passed her. She tried to brazen it out but I presented her with a silver coin.

Her eyes grew big as she stared at it. I said, "I could have caught Roger this time but it's only a matter of time before the constable gets him."

"We'll quit right now, Sir."

"That's a lie. Now I want you to go to the pub and buy us six meals. Two for you, two for Roger and two for Molly and me."

She looked at the coin and I could see that she was trying to come to a decision. To help her decide I said, "I'm a physician. I want to look at your leg."

"My Leg!"

"The one you are limping on."

"I'm used to it now."

"I look like a trapper but I'm more than that. Molly will be with us all the time. Now do you want to rob me or risk some money and possibly walk right?"

"I'll get the food but I have to leave money for the pot and spoons."

"Then do so. Tell Roger to return. I won't call the constable, capture him or harm him. On my word."

"Thank you Sir."

"Good then you may go." I handed her the coin and she stared at it for a while then hurried off as quick as she could.

When I got back to Molly, she said, "What did you do to the child? She ran off like the devil was after her."

"She is fetching a meal for us."

"What?"

"A meal is something people eat when they are hungry."

"I know that but why?"

"Besides being a trapper and a farmer, I'm also a physician. I want the children to get a good meal and I want to see Linda's leg."

"You're a physician?" Her eyes were big.

"One of the very best."

"You're buying a coat from me?"

"I need a good coat, breeches, shirt and stockings. I did not bring any with me that are suitable."

For the next while I talked about everything. She talked about herself first then I tried to find out how much she knew about politics. In this time, politics had a lot to do with the aristocracy and few of those came to the new world without a valid reason to leave the old one.

I was beginning to have my doubts about Linda when I saw the child approach. She had nothing in her hands but she sported a large bruise on her face. She was crying and I could feel her pain but it was not the kind that caused the bruise.

The girl came to me and tried to look me in the eye but couldn't. She sobbed out, "The innkeeper kept the money. He said we robbed him before."

I picked up her chin with a finger and said, "That's ok. Let's go to some of the stalls and buy some bread and meat?"

She still cried and she felt bad. "What is it Linda?"

"I lost the money you entrusted me with."

"Money is not important. One day it will be worth nothing. You will get what you want by asking and paying with a smile, a song or a story."

She still sniffled but she felt less bad.

Molly said, "See Lem. Linda knows the way."

I turned to the girl and said, "Let's go see Lem."

Lem turned out to be a baker that sold salted meats. I chose the bread and pointed to a selection of meats and cheeses and with my fingers said, "How much, Lem?"

Lem looked at Linda and gave me the price. I paid it and asked to have the meat sliced. We walked back to Molly's place and I made sandwiches. The cheese was eaten by the bite.

Linda ate her portion ravenously until I touched her and said, "Eat slow. Nobody is going to take your food."

With pleading eyes she said, "I'm just hungry."

"Then eat slow. You could get sick and bring up all the food you ate." She slowed down a lot then.

After she ate, I got her to sit on the board containing Molly's products and I examined her foot and lower leg. All the time I was pushing my healing into her. The med unit was taken out and I ran it over her leg then continued to do the rest of her. I stopped at her head and I stayed there a little longer.

I put Linda down and she asked, "What is that?"

"It's a med unit. We use it in my country to diagnose and treat minor ailments. Some problems can be corrected with this unit but sadly not all of them. You had a fracture there once and it didn't heal right. You have a wealth of diseases running through you but they are now being worked on."

"You mean a sickness?"

Molly looked very worried at seeing the device I had used. Massachusetts was still a theocracy though the hangings in Salem were only twenty seven years ago. The first inhabitants of this area did not come to avoid religious persecution but to promote their own brand on all others. People of other religions were going to burn in hell and many religious groups hanged others to hasten the procedure. Some religious groups even had their own slave ships.

I monitored Molly and said to Linda, "We all have a lot of sicknesses in us. Our body has an army in us that fights the sickness. Sometimes you need a good general to lead the troops."

Her eyes were wide. I said, "In a week or two you will not have a problem with sickness. You do have troubles with your leg and a small problem with the thalamus. That's a portion of your brain."

"What's wrong with my brain?"

I put my fingers out and showed as small gap. "Some cells have started to grow wrong. The med unit may get this taken care of but it may not."

"Can you fix it?"

The med unit may take care of it but not your leg. That takes a few minutes then you have to have a place to stay for a week or so."

"Roger needs me."

"I know, Dear." I had an idea and said to Molly, "How much would you want to feed Linda and Roger for say, two weeks? That means they get a change of clothes that I will buy and their clothes washed."

She was still shaken from seeing the device. I put the unit away. Molly came to her senses and said, "Me take care of the children? I can't take care of my own."

"If I pay then you do not have to open your stall for two weeks. You can stay home and care for the children and possibly sew other garments."

She thought for a moment then gave me a price. I felt it was an honest figure and paid her the sum plus a bit more for contingencies.

She looked at the coins and said, "This is too much."

"Not at all. These two will be like puppies wanting to get fed all the time."

"I didn't say I will do it."

"No, but you want to do it."

"I guess I do."

To answer Molly's unspoken questions I said, "Our people made the musket a long time before the rest of the world found it. We destroyed what we had because of the danger they posed. We concentrated on medicine and the healing of the sick. I do not think there is a higher calling than that."

Molly thought on this and I felt her relax a little. "Are your people true believers?"

"I will give my answer this way. We believe in love of all mankind. We believe in reasoned thought. The people of this land do not have too many rational notions They are usually quite insane. They preach brotherly love but then hang others for having a slightly different point of view. You're that way too."

"Me!"

"I am a man of my word, I helped two children and will help one of those a bit more. My people harm nobody and even allow others to share their own beliefs. You saw a tool that our people use and you show fear."

"I was not afraid."

"You lie to yourself. You showed fear. I could almost taste it. One of the marks of a sane person is religious tolerance. The people here show none of that."

"But the devil comes in many guises."

"You're right but most of them are people of the cloth. Open your eyes and look. Think with your mind not with your emotions. This land is filled to overflowing with the poorly educated and the fools. Then there are the people that would use those fools for their own end."

"Who would do that?"

"Leaders stir up the people for appointments or to get elected. They use their elected positions to line their own pockets and those of their friends. They use the fools that follow them to carve out a princedom for themselves. You can tell me who, by thinking of those that use the others to that find it too difficult to think for themselves."

Molly was quiet. I said, "I hope this does not hurt a friendship that has just started. I may be a bit bias to those that are bias to others."

I got a weak smile and a feeling of relief.

I walked out of town to a still standing section of forest. The pod came down and I got aboard. The drones were out to see if the ship had been seen. The coins I brought were analysed and the information recorded. Some special purpose nanobots worked on the now alloyed gold blanks to make copies but ones that varied as if some were used much more.

The next morning, I put on my old clothes but my pack was a few kilograms heaver.

As I walked through the town I saw establishments selling head and footwear. I would have to purchase some of each if I wanted to stay here for a while. I had too much of a backwoods style presently. I would have to see what would accent my new clothing.

At the market I purchased a large leather sack and filled it with what fruits and vegetables I could find. Another area sold slaked lime and I had to buy some of this. I wanted to make a temporary cast. Linda had told me that her father just wrapped the broken bone. Nobody set the bones into proper positions to heal.

Molly's stall was empty but she did not live far away. I climbed three flights of steps in a decrepit building and rapped at the door.

A young girl's voice called out, "Who is it?"

"Hello. My name is Michael Stewart. I probably talked to your mother yesterday about a suit and breeches."

"Momma's not here."

"Is Linda there?"

There was a pause then a whisper then the child said, "Yes she is."

"That's good. I'm leaving a heavy bag near the door. If you look outside in a minute, you will see me on the street."

I had read about some of the crimes committed before the Pack arrived and the effect of those crimes on the public. There may be no need for this type of security but perhaps Roger and Linda needed a sanctuary.

The bag went beside the door and I walked down the steps and then crossed the street. From the high window I saw Linda and an even younger child. I waved and both waved back.

I found the local printer. He was the same person that put out the local newspaper. He was a little flummoxed when I asked to read all his old additions for a price. I got to read a lot and it was difficult when the language was in English with an odd typeface.

It took four hours to read all the old issues and I bought a current issue. I watched the man use the old printing press and grinned because it reminded me of home. My home where people used archaic equipment and lived an old lifestyle near a space port.

Another meal was in order now and I struck up conversations until I found a good place to eat. It certainly was popular because there was no place to sit.

A pretty girl left a table with a happy looking young man and I immediately took the booth. I chuckled as a 'serving wench' comes over.

"Hello, Sir. What may I get for you?"

My reflexes wanted to ask her name and learn about her but I had to be very businesslike. "What would you recommend."

"Why, a fine stout and a bit of pork pie."

"Then you have made a sale."

She smiled and turned away. Soon the meal came and the girl waited for payment. It was a lot of trouble dealing with fractional farthings, farthings, halfpenny, three farthings, penny, sixpence, shillings and guineas but Vilchjo helped me. There were other coins from other countries that were just as readily accepted.

I gave her a larger value coin and she went to the counter to get the change. When she came back, I used the old custom I had heard about and tipped the wench. I got an even brighter smile and a little curtsey.

Molly hopefully should be home and I wished to just page her computer to find the truth but this was not possible. Molly was home though and I was let into the small apartment.

Molly greeted me kindly and said, "Would you care to meet my children?"

"Certainly."

There were three young children. Two boys of seven and six then a girl of four. Molly said, "There are six more but they are out working."

I looked at the room a second time and said, "Where do they all sleep?"

"It is a trial sometimes especially around meal times."

I felt bad about adding Linda and Roger to her list and said, "Did Roger come here?"

Molly's face fell and said, "Yes, but that boy is troubled."

"All young boys are troubled."

Linda said, "He's worried about Da."

When she didn't say any more I asked, "What's wrong with your father?"

"He's in Debtors Prison Sir."

I looked at Molly in surprise. I guess my look of consternation tipped her off and she said, "It is a wicked place, I hear."

"This is another example of man's inhumanity to man. Every religion has their own version of what you know of as the Golden Rule. The cleric or layman will only follow this when it suits them. This is another example of the insanity I saw."

The feelings coming from Molly made me think that she was the one that was attacked. "I did not mean you Molly. I look at this from a distance and lumped humanity in neat packages which I should not do."

She said, "I did some thinking about what you said and I can see some of it now but people have always been crazy I think."

"I think you're right Molly. Are you comfortable enough to watch out for Linda for a week or two?"

"We can manage quite fine. I went out to find some better material for your coat."

"Thank you Molly. As a sort of recompense may I look at your children?"

She thought for a moment then said, "You would not do anything — of — that person?"

"I think of myself as a person at the opposite end of that balance."

Molly's eyes got very big and she stepped back.

"Hold on Molly. I'm as mortal as any other man. I think that I am just a bit more moral than most."

"You're not —"

"No, sorry but I try to act that way."

Molly thought again and said, "You may check the children."

"Thank you for trusting me again."

I checked the two boys and the girl and tried to have a good bedside manner. As I found problems I told Molly and asked if I should treat them. In all cases she agreed.

When I finished, I said, "One more person could be treated."

"I'm old."

"So old people should die? Who will take care of your children?"

She did not answer so I said, "You told me you had no relatives here nor did your husband."

"You can check me with that thing."

"Thanks for the trust again."

I hummed to myself as I moved the med unit over her body. Some things I corrected and the minor ones I asked her about. She was very shocked when I touched near her breasts and even more shocked when I brought the unit over her ovaries.

I said, "You may be happy to know that you're not pregnant."

"I should hope not!"

She had told me in the market that her husband had died three years ago. I said, "You are not that old yet. Menopause will not start for about six years for you."

"Menopause? What's that?"

I had to search for the term and said, "It's called climacteric but another word may be used. It means that a woman can no longer bare children."

"I understand now. Your med thing can tell this?"

"It can do a lot more but also not enough."

"It must be a marvellous —"

"Tool?"

"Yes, a tool. How does it work?"

"I could tell you but you would not understand the words. It would take months and you would still not understand." She looked hurt so I quickly added, "Do not feel bad. Nobody not of my country would know either."

"Where is your country?"

I had to start lying once more and it hurt me to do so. "It's a small republic in the Pacific Ocean, south of India. It's a collection of islands. We usually keep to ourselves but occasionally we go out in the world to do some good then return. When I go home, I'll write a book or two about my travels and record what I found that we might find interesting."

"Like what?"

"New varieties of plants and animals, the present workings of politics in the world and to even complete our mapping of this globe."

"Globe!"

"You're not one of those people that think the world is flat, do you?"

"It has to be."

"Use your own eyes and brain. You live by the ocean. A ship disappears behind a bulge and another one reemerges the same way. We live on a sphere."

"We were told differently."

"Only some people believe this and they push their beliefs onto you. some people study — physic or Natural philosophy all their lives but even they do not come to the right conclusions. Most people believe that people cannot fly but they can with silk and a wooden frame."

Molly was shocked again. I quickly said, "They really only glide the way some squirrels do or a hawk."

It took her a moment but she finally asked, "Have you flown?"

I raised a finger and took out the current newspaper and folded it just so. I went to the other side of the room and propelled it to Molly. It did some gyrations but actually returned to course and hit her in the chest.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.