Spirit Fox Lightning Swift - Cover

Spirit Fox Lightning Swift

Copyright© 2008 by EMW

Chapter 5

The bomb shell that my imaginary friend wasn't imaginary at all was something of a shock.

"but ... but ... how can I hear you? And for that matter how can you hear me," I thought.

I don't know, said Jessica, Oh, It must be telepathy!

You're reading my thoughts!? I sent.

I guess so, I don't really know. I can't think of any other explanation.

I guess, unable to think of a more plausible explanation, me being crazy seemed high up on the list though.

I was a little shocked by the whole thing I decided to assume for now that I wasn't out of my mind. I assumed Jessica must be in one of the other rooms in this place. I had wondered about the multiple cages and the possibility of other people being held here but I had long ago come to the conclusion that I was alone down here.

So who are you? Jessica asked.

I'm Eric, I was Sandra's boyfriend till I changed. You are her sister right?

Yes, the family put me here after I changed. I don't know how long ago that was now. So many days ran together. I lost it a bit till I started talking to you.

Well, it must be at least a couple of months. You stopped coming to school and then Sandra said you had gone overseas or something.

When they found out I had MORFS they took me here to isolate me, for my protection they said. When it became clear that I was changing into a hybrid, my sister made the suggestion of locking me up as a pet. When I awoke from my final set of changes I was caged. She tortured me for days, I screamed and cried almost non stop, begging my sister and family to let me go. Eventually she had them cut my vocal cords to stop the noise. I slowly lost myself, she sent. I didn't start coming out of it till I felt your pain. At first I thought it was mine, but then gradually I heard your voice. I guess with your thoughts coming through, I started to come back.

I can't believe your own sister did this to you!

Worse! My twin, we shared everything. When I changed it changed her as well, like she became twisted inside. Maybe she was always like this and it just took this to bring it out.

I never saw this side of her before either.

So you are her boyfriend?

Yes, well I guess was her boyfriend is more accurate. Locking me in a cage and torturing me definitely put a crimp on our relationship.

I don't remember her mentioning you how long were you seeing her?

I had only been seeing her for a bit by the time you left. She never wanted me to go near her in class, she was always very reticent about us showing any public signs of any affection. It took a month before she'd hold my hand in public.

Hmm I guess that explains it. We were both raised very conservatively. Our family comes from Little Greenvale which has a very backward view of the world. Though we didn't live there we were still expected to comport ourselves as proper ladies. I got a little sick of it, all my friends were out having fun and we were expected to just study the bible or knit or sew or some such.

Sounds boring.

Yeah, but I'd give anything to be back like that rather than slowly dying in a cage.

I had to agree with Jessica there.

So how did she get you? Jessica asked.

After I changed she first rejected me, but then she offered me a chance to see her. It was at a park on the edge of town and I rather foolishly decided to go. She led me into the forest and someone jumped me. I woke up here. I almost got out one time but I went towards Little Greenvale and the cops brought me back.

That makes me both happy and sad. Happy because it meant I got to speak to you, sad because it means you are stuck in the same hell I am.

Maybe we could escape together?

It's a nice dream but I doubt we will ever make it out.

I managed it once when they were hosing me down.

I'm too weak to escape them now. If you get the chance go for it. Don't waste it trying to save me.

What sort of person would I be if I did that.

I can barely walk any more I'd doom us both.

I sat thinking I didn't want to even consider abandoning Jessica to this, I resolved that if I did get another chance I'd not leave without her.

It was getting late so we said our good nights and tried to sleep. It was the first night I went to sleep feeling happy, even though I was still in this hellish situation. I guess having someone to talk to who wasn't a figment of my imagination helped, a sort of misery loves company.

During the night I had brief snatches of the flying thing again.

When I woke up Jessica sent, Morning Eric.

Morning Jessica, how are you today, I asked.

Oh same as usual, some of my feathers fell out. I think the lack of nutrition is getting to me.

Oh ... wait feathers? You have feathers?

She paused and then in a sort of depressed tone sent, Yeah I'm a winged freak.

I thought wings sounded pretty cool but I guess she didn't feel that way, I have fur and a tail too.

Really, what sort of fur? she asked

Red and white sort of shortish. I'm a fox hybrid complete with bushy tail.

Wow, I always liked foxes. Does it bother you to have fur?

Oh yeah, it's a pain to wash. It soaks up the water like a sponge and it gets caught in things.

But don't you hate how people see you as a beast?

Well, I guess. I never really thought about it, I wasn't out and about too much before I got nabbed. My sister Hannah, she has had fur for years. She changed pretty early when she was ten. Became a hamster hybrid, got bullied a lot for it. Then she started fighting back and now she's a total kick arse martial arts expert and she doesn't let other peoples opinions on her appearance bother her.

Wow! Oh I think I remember your sister. Orange and white fur, black eyes, in the upper sixth.

Yeah that sounds like Hannah.

She's gorgeous though. All the boys are after her, even some of the anti-MORFS ones openly fantasise about her, course in rather negative ways. I'm much more of a monster than that. I doubt anyone would want me now.

Hey don't do yourself down, it's the person inside that's important, not the package. Besides some people like wings.

That's very sweet of you to say but I doubt you would think that if you could see me.

I was about to answer that when I heard someone coming down the stairs.

Some one's coming! I sent in hushed tones.

I got a titter of mental laughter then Jessica sent back Why are you whispering, no one else can hear us silly!

Oh yeah I forgot that, I sent back feeling a little stupid but happy to have made Jessica laugh.

Sandra strode into the cellar she was carrying a small bundle of fluff, "I've come to show you how a proper pet should behave Foxy!"

I saw the bundle of black fir was actually a mewing kitten, "See how good kitty is? See how I reward her with love and affection? If you behave you too will receive such benefits Foxykins." she said.

She showed the kitten to me it looked at me inquisitively and mewed a bit. Sandra nodded to herself and wandered off obviously to show the kitten to her sister.

Sandra's coming, she has a kitten. Try not to give away that I ruined the surprise, I sent.

There was more mental laughter, I'll try. Oh isn't it adorable, poor little thing it's trapped in the grip of a mad girl just like us.

It seems to be a collaborator though.

That's true; it is cosying up to the enemy. It also might try to eat me, cats being fond of munching on birds.

You're still bigger than it I presume, I'd put my money on you in a fight.

Hehe, yeah the state I'm in it would be close though, Her tone suggested that she wasn't exaggerating all that much.

How bad are you really? I asked concerned.

Pretty bad ... let's not talk about it Eric, it's too depressing.

OK Jessica. So do you think we can win kitty back to the cause? She could be a double agent and go steal the key, I sent trying to make Jessica laugh.

Well if we had some cream maybe we could entice her, although I think it be more likely we'd lap it up than kitty. Oh, I'd kill for some cream.

I hope I still like cream, I found my new sense of taste doesn't work too well with sweet things. Though ice cream was still good, so regular cream probably is.

Your sense of taste is different?

Yeah I think it's part of my better sense of smell.

Cool I didn't really gain much in the way of additional stuff. This telepathy thing doesn't seem to reach far enough to get help.

What I wouldn't give for some powers to bust out of this place.

Yeah me too.

Sandra then went through the ritual of feeding time, I hoped that she gave Jessica a nice sized portion as it sounded like she was not getting anywhere near enough food. Sandra then took her leave carrying her new favourite pet away and leaving us two the old hated pets in the dark. At least the distraction of a fluffy kitty meant we were ignored rather than beaten.

I was feeling tired already despite being up only a few hours, I guess the lack of food and the lack of light was wearing me down. I lay down to rest and I must have dozed off, as next thing I knew I was dreaming I was a floating around the room. It was one of those lucid dreams where I knew I was dreaming and had some control. I zipped around the room and then decided to go through to where I thought Jessica was, to see what my imagination would make of this uncharted country.

I went through the door and saw another large room with a few cages, a few stacks of dog food, and sacks of bird food. As I looked around the room seemed so real that I was amazed how detailed this dream was. I looked for Jessica, there were several cages like in my section of the cellar but in one corner I saw a cage with a dark shape in it. I swooped closer to take a look. I couldn't really see beyond a dark shape which I guess was my mind not having anything to work with. I noticed the gleam of two eyes in the dark shape turn towards me.

Eric! There's something in the room with me! said dream Jessica sounding scared.

It's just me. I'm dreaming, I replied.

What? This isn't a dream I'm awake and there is this dark shape floating in the room!

Well you would say that, this is my dream, I said dismissively.

I moved to get a better look but then suddenly was awake again back in the cell.

I just had a strange dream with you in it, I sent to Jessica.

Oh stop that, the dark thing just vanished! said a fairly scared sounding Jessica.

What how could you know that it's what the dream Jessica was saying. Maybe I'm still dreaming! I made every effort to wake myself up but I stayed where I was. I tried the usual tests to see if I was dreaming but it seemed I was awake.

I said it only a few moments ago and you were blabbering about a dream!

I don't understand. If I wasn't dreaming then what was going on? How come I could see in that room and was flying?

I don't know, maybe you have some power after all?

I guess it's possible. I never had my assessment thing. I wonder what it could be?

Maybe some sort of telesense? Not sure what the dark stuff was though.

I wonder how it works? I've been having a load of these flying dreams I wonder if that's what it was, me using this ability without realising it.

I tried to work out how to trigger this power, it didn't sound very useful but you never knew. I focused on leaving my body for a while, but that didn't see to work. I tried closing my eyes but that didn't work. Eventually I figured it out by accident I fell back in defeat letting my body fall onto my straw bed and my perceptions kept falling through the floor.

I shouted in shock and promptly lost it again, but after some careful work I was able to trigger it fairly easily. It seemed that when I entered that state my normal visual senses routed through this power rather than me getting any double vision.

Hey I figured it out! I sent.

Cool! sent Jessica.

I floated my way over to her room again looking around more carefully now that I knew it was real and not a dream.

I'm in your room. Can you see the same thing as before?

Yeah a sort of diffuse dark cloud.

Is there a mirror anywhere about?

Yeah over by the chairs in the corner there's an old dressing table.

I zipped over and saw what she meant: A sort of dark cloud hung in space around where I could see from. As I thought I found it responded to my thoughts, either vanishing or changing shape. I found I could make small shapes in the air, little shadow-like sculptures. I made one of a hand and then went and waved to Jessica.

She giggled mentally. I saw the flash of teeth in a smile in the gloom of her cage, Wow you must be able to make illusions as well.

Sweet! I have got some power after all, I still wish it was super strength or some sort of zap but it's better than nothing I guess, I paused for a moment then decided to take a look at Jessica close to, I'm going to move a bit closer so I can see you.

There was quiet for a bit then she sent, OK but promise me you won't hate me.

I don't think that's possible.

I floated my point of view through into her cage so I could get a closer look. I could now see her more clearly, she was covered head to toe in dark feathers with a white bit under her chin. She was small and very thin, her wings were large and scythe shaped like those of a swift. Large piercing blue eyes stared out at me.

'Wow!' I thought even in her malnourished state she was very beautiful.

She smiled hearing my thoughts I felt a little embarrassed at her having heard my internal thoughts but seeing her smile made me feel very happy.

You're so sweet, she sent.

Well, I ... I just think ... well.

She giggled at my embarrassment, cute too. she sent.

She regarded my floating point of view and tentatively reached out and passed her hand through it. Giggling inside my head some more. She regarded it speculatively cocking her head to one side and fixing her eyes on me.

I wonder if I can tag along?

How do you mean?

Well I have heard that telepaths can get pictures as well as thoughts out of peoples heads.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.