The Strongest Of Souls - Cover

The Strongest Of Souls

Copyright© 2008 by GoddessAine

Chapter 5

Chadwick fumbled for his sword, on the moss covered ground, when the tips of his leather covered boots hit something. 'Chink' he heard as he carefully reached and picked up his trusty longsword. A Knight is naught without his sword. 'I must be close' he thought, knowing that the demon had been sent to scare him off or destroy him completely. Now, the dew chilled every step he took, soaking into his trousers and matting his dark hair to his scalp. He noticed how quiet the woods appeared. He would take nothing for what it seemed, but he would look inside for what it was.

Tension had increased within him and the feeling of uneasiness took over. The mysterious amethyst-diamond necklace hung around his neck. Now it glowed an eerie purple. He walked past a row of trees and instantly the rising sun seemed to dim, and almost disappear. He walked cautiously with every step he made, as his eyes adjusted to the new surroundings. Never had he seen a place such as this valley!

This ground he walked upon was dead. Trees lay toppled over and the ground was moist with growing fungus. This must be Mysteria Valley, he thought. It was a place of Death. The scent of decay hung in the air like a billowing cloud that followed his every step. Sending bile into his throat; he tried not to gag on the atrocious odor. He gave a silent prayer that Devon was strong enough to keep his energy field around him, and never let his guard down. As each step became familiar to him, it became more important for him to find the Dungeon. As he carefully stumbled through the woods, he glimpsed black and grey wall surrounding a castle. "Avendelin's Castle" he whispered to no one in particular.

His movements were with haste and accuracy. As he reached for the gate to open it, the hideous demon stood in his way. Her sharp claws help tight to the corroded stone walls. The snakes on her head snapped to bite him, but he stepped back quickly, avoiding the sharp fangs. Chadwick glared at Jaliston. Eying him slowly, she spoke in a hissing sort of voice, "Oh, how I would have had fun with you had you given me the chance."

She licked her lips at the thought. She continued "Mmm, I know I would have made you forget that damn sorceress you're so fond of." She said reaching to stroke her claws upon his cheek. He stepped back. Not missing the surprised look on Chadwick's face, Jaliston said "Oh, you didn't think we knew about that? You'd be amazed at what you can learn if only you took the time to listen to the wind and the murmuring of the trees. How else do you think we found out about the King's plans for your son?" She spat out the last few words, and then grinned, a sharp toothy grin, her teeth pointed and yellowed.

Movement behind Jaliston caught his eye. There stood Sorcerer Avendelin. His pupils of red stood bright against the yellow sclera, and his black greasy hair tumbled on his shoulders. Never had Chadwick seen eyes as frightening as these. From his side of the gate Chadwick summoned up the courage and shouted, "You send a woman to do a man's work? Have you not the courage to fight yourself?!" Jaliston glared at Chadwick for a moment, her eyes darker than ever, and then looked back at Avendelin. He nodded and she hesitantly stepped aside allowing Chadwick to enter the gate.

Within an instant Avendelin appeared, only inches away from Chadwick. His stinky breath rose into Chadwick's face, and Chadwick resisted to urge to gag on the atrocious odor. "You think I would just let you walk in here? Such a slow witted creature you are" His laughed resembled a shriek. "You thought it would be easy." With a wave of his hand, he sent Chadwick flying up into the air, and over trees. He landed in a thick pile of rotten branches and debris. He stood up and looked around. He was back in Whispering woods. It was then, that darkness engulfed him.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.