Deciding Moment - Cover

Deciding Moment

Copyright© 2008 by John Smith

Chapter 54

Everyone, for once, was in the same room. There was no longer a threat, so no one needed to man the com center at that point.

Senior Agent Laugherty was front and center.

"I know that this situation may seem a bit strange to some of you, but I'm going to be frank. None of you were here. This didn't happen."

A hand shot up, a small hand.

Laugherty looked over and smiled as Camillia's mother was trying to pull her small hand down.

"Yes?" he said.

"Is it like make believe, then?"

His smile broadened.

"Yes. This stay here was just like make believe. None of you can talk about this at all ... to anyone."

This time Fiona's hand shot up. As he had paused, she went right ahead.

"Jessica and I talked about that already. We decided that if we said anything, no one would believe us, anyway. We figured that the gossip in school would be that we were abducted by aliens." She paused for a moment and her face scrunched up as though she was thinking hard. "Is that what happens? Then those papers in the supermarkets make it seem like those people were taken by aliens?"

Laugherty had a hard time not having a mischievous smile run across his face. As soon as it almost appeared, it was gone.

"You might just have something there. Downs, would you like to investigate that? No? Somehow I didn't think so," he said without giving Downs a chance to answer.

Going on, he continued, "What you brought up, though, brings me to another point. I'd prefer you didn't talk about this whole ordeal at all, not even amongst yourselves. Saying that; I know that is a tall order, and probably an unreasonable request. I know there will be times when you will need to talk. For some of you, this has been a life changing experience. It will not just go away. We are going to talk individually with each of you, and you will get help if you need it. Now, let me explain why I asked that you don't talk about this, so you will understand. Each one of you has had your own unique experience of this. When you talk with others, your individual outlook becomes blended with another's. One would hope not, but there is a small possibility that a few of you could be called to testify in court. If that were to happen, the clearer you are on your own personal understanding, the better."

I felt a squeeze on my hand. I knew that Jessica knew, just as I did, that if there was someone outside of the agents needing to be in court; it would be me, at the very least.

Senior Agent Laugherty then gestured to his staff, who had come with him, to stand.

"I will be dividing you up to talk in smaller groups. Antonio, you and your brother will be in two family groups. Jeannie, you and your husband will be another group. Theresa; you, Jessica, and Tim will be another group. John, you and your parents are another group. The agents are the last group.

"As you heard, the agents are also in a group. Part of what the rest of you will be able to do is ask questions that you may have not wanted to voice in this larger group. The real purpose of this is to tell you what is appropriate to say, and what cannot be said at all. It is to protect you, as well as everyone else in this room.

"As I call off each group, please stand and one of my team members will escort you to a private room."


That was it. Other than the agents, my family was the last to be called. The agents, being the largest group, yet probably the fastest to be done; were staying in the mess hall. I was taken, along with my parents, to the medical area.

As soon as we were situated, my father asked, "How much of what you tell us would get us in trouble with law enforcement agents, how much is a suggestion, and are you going to tell us the difference?"

The man sitting across from my father smiled.

"I read about you on the plane. Questions that are pointed and relevant, but usually not ever asked."

"Yes," my father replied, "and of course part of that is that there is an avoidance to answer the basic needs of a person's questioning mind, so they are able to make informed decisions. Now please answer my original question."

The man regarded my father for a moment and then broke into a smile. It was obvious that he enjoyed the sparing. I wondered if they were on the plane reading about us and he volunteered for this part.

"To answer your question, there are both required and suggested parts. I will let you know the difference. I will also let you know why we suggest something, so you understand the request isn't there to see if we can get mice to follow a path."

My father now grinned.

My mother, impatient with the banter, asked if we could get on with things.

"My first question is this. John, have you talked with Ken yet?"

"No, why would I do that?"

"I understand that Jessica had a melt down. That was why Ken was called here in the first place."

"Correct," I answered.

"She wasn't able to deal with the problems surrounding this, and it overwhelmed her. You will have your own set of demons that will crop up. If you haven't felt some of them yet, it may be because you have been isolated here."

As I thought about what he said, my mother asked, "Is it serious? Should we have counseling for him?"

"Mom..."

"It would be hard for me to answer that. For the answer could be 'yes' or 'no' depending on how he handles going home."

"Can you be a bit more specific," I said. "I'm not sure I understand what problems I would have." Then I had a thought, which I voiced, "I'm not still in danger, am I?"

"No, no nothing like that. John, people often have flashbacks. You've been in some pretty bad spots, I read. You may want to stay away from armored cars for a while. For some, the sight of them, especially at a bank, can give quite a fright."

"Ok, I'm getting a better idea."

"Good. The thing is, these feelings are normal. You should almost expect them to happen. If they do, get yourself out of the situation that is making you feel uncomfortable. However, don't ignore it afterwards. Those feeling just won't go away by themselves. Call and ask for help. Remember that you aren't the only one who has felt like that, and the people who you call can help you get over it. You don't have to live in fear of ... say, armored cars."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.