Hope - Cover

Hope

©Poet of the Shadows AKA Shadowpoet

Chapter 9

There is always a point in one's life when everything seems to fit. A fleeting moment that if you could hold it everything would make sense and nothing would be left unknown. That moment for me was my 12th Christmas. I had not seen Hope since my birthday and I was beginning to wonder if she hated me.

Christmas morning I woke up at 5 am, almost cursing my self because I couldn't sleep longer. I decided to get up and take a shower, then go downstairs for a bowl of cereal. By the time I made it downstairs it was about 6 am. The tree looked beautiful, the presents were there and nothing seemed out of place, well almost nothing.

I didn't take notice of a big wrapped box covering the reclining chair in the living room. Since our tree was in the dining room I didn't even think to look. I proceeded to the kitchen, got my self a bowl of sweet chocolate goodness, added milk and proceeded to eat. Once I was done and had rinsed my bowl, the rest of my family joined me. We progressed to the dining room and opened presents.

Nothing can dampen the excitement of a 12-year-old boy quicker than when every present he receives is clothing or shoes. Yeah, I know, the stuff was necessary for living comfortably. Nonetheless, I was disappointed, so I departed our family gathering leaving mom and dad in the dining room.

I walked into the living room planning to sit on the recliner and sulk. That's when I noticed the recliner was missing. In its place was a 5 foot by 3 foot by 5 foot box wrapped in crimson foil. The tag on the box had my name on it and inside was a card. As I reached for the card I felt a spark, not unlike the one I felt when I first looked into Hope's eyes and touched her hand.

The card read as follows: "Inside is a gift that is worth more then money, you cannot buy this gift. You cannot make it. This gift cannot be owned, but it can be captured by one who deserves it. If you wish to possess this gift for any period long or short, open this box"

Therefore, like Pandora I opened the box.

To my extreme surprise as I removed the foil, Hope jumped up, almost strait out of the box; she had been hiding in there on the recliner waiting patiently. She hugged me and kissed me, then looking into my eyes and said, ' The gift I give you is my love."

I wish I could have frozen that moment forever. I have never, in my 12 years felt happier and more complete. I found myself crying. Tears came from nowhere as I almost whispered 'I love you too' but the moment ended as the emotions that I hadn't felt since I was in the hospital all came flooding back from every direction.

I passed out. I didn't wake up until new year's day, but the dreams I had opened up a whole new world of possibilities."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.