An Unsettled Calm - Cover

An Unsettled Calm

Copyright© 2007 by msboy8

Chapter 32

We walked towards Yaphank talking about the close calls we had, the good times and the hard times. Mostly we talked about our future. Sarah decided to resign from the FBI, that is after we were cleared of all charges. She was going to be my new partner.

I wondered if Mr. Blue would hold the loss of his weapons against me. There was the choice of moving, maybe to San Francisco. I had grown up in the Big Apple and this is all I knew. I would really miss this city, but if Sarah needed me to move I would.

We were still talking when we saw flashing blue lights and a squad car pulled up. Inside was Deputy Scruggs. "There have been reports of explosions, gunfire and a robbery nearby. Do you know anything about anything that happened there?" Sarah and I laughed until we cried. Finally we were able to stop laughing, stare him in the eyes and shake our heads. After that we started laughing again. He just shook his head and tucked us in the back of the squad car. He looked at us in the rear view mirror. "The FBI is now closed. I'll drop you off in the morning but you'll have to spend the night in our jail." He then addressed Sarah, "Don't worry, I'll make sure that he gets the lumpy cot.


Epilogue

It was 1991 when a naval reserve aircraft off the Atlantic coast had a massive reading on the magnetic anomaly detector. The aircraft was just running some operational tests on the equipment. At first this anomaly was attributed to equipment malfunction. When it was found that this was an actual discovery the data was sent to NUMA, the National Underwater Marine Agency.

A dive on the wreck by NUMA revealed the wreckage of a German World War Two U-boat. Further investigation revealed that there was a compartment on the submarine that had not been exposed to the ocean water. NUMA scientists managed to create an air filled void around the compartment which allowed them to open the hatch. What they discovered astounded them.

Inside the compartment, which turned out to be the Captain's cabin, were two mummified bodies, one of a man and one of a woman. They were dressed in 1930's era clothing. The man's arms were around the woman's neck, as if chocking her. The woman's nails had skin from the man's cheeks.

The woman was never identified, but the man carried documents for a Richard Marks, a German National and Assistant to the German Counsel General. There were a large number of documents recovered from the Captain's cabin but they were labeled as classified.

Thus ends the lives of Richard Marks and Laurel Stebbins. They were made for each other and spent eternity locked in a desperate struggle.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.