An Unsettled Calm - Cover

Preview

An Unsettled Calm

by msboy8

Copyright© 2007 by msboy8

Historical Story: This was my novel for NaNoWriMo; unfortunately the story was 9,900 words short of a novel. I guess you could say it's an extremely long short story. There is no sex in the story, because it is set in 1937 and everybody knows that people did not start having sex until the 1960's. It's a novel of Historical fiction. The main character is a private eye. I used 1930's slang for when the characters spoke. Also the events and music are of the period. Enjoy!

Tags: Historical  

This is a work of fiction, and friction. Any resemblance to living, dead, or undead people is merely a coincidence. This story may not be used for wrapping fish or any other commercial endeavor without the author's express permission.

Edited by redlegtiger. All mistakes are mine and not his.

Help Reading This Story

This story uses different slang term from the 1930's for conversations. This guide tell of word lists where most of these words were taken from. Just put the name of the desired list into a search engine.

A Historical Dictionary of American Slang Slang in the Great Depression

Dirty 30's - Slang of the 30's Hardboiled Slang

The Internet Guide to Jazz Age Slang Glossary of Harlem Slang

An Unsettled Calm

It was a time of change, a time of uncertainty. Radio was the mass communication of the day with no dedicated 'News' channel. The American people received their radio news in an average of just over ten announcements a day, they would just cut in over whatever program was on at that time. Americans sat rapt by their radios listening to popular music, serial programs and for news of the day.

There was a lot to listen to; people left their radios on most of the day. It was true that Jessie Owens had won four gold medals during the 1936 Olympic Games in Fascist Berlin, but there was some unsettling news in the wind. The Italian army had just conquered and occupied Ethiopia, a bloody civil war was tearing apart Spain, the Japanese had invaded China and Hitler's Nazi Germany was annexing countries right and left.

The United States was still not totally out of the terrible depression years, but the rich and famous were living life to the nines. They frequented places like the Stork Club, 21, and El Morocco. Harlem was where it was happenin' places like the Onyx Club, the Savoy Ballroom and the Cotton Club, to name a few.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.