Lost: Princess Of Buya - Reward! - Cover

Lost: Princess Of Buya - Reward!

Copyright© 2007 by GLSGareth

Chapter 5

The first thing I noticed when I stepped into his office was the absence of light. It was totally dark, with heavy drapes over the windows. The second thing I noticed was a low table, which hit me right across the shins.

"Hey!" I yelled, startled. Warriors aren't usually bothered by the dark, sometimes we even have to keep fighting, even after having Blind spells thrown at us. Still, I quickly drew my Flamefang sword, which cast just enough light from its glowing blade to let me make out the shattered remains of a low table. Somehow it was comforting to know that even without armor I was tougher than kitchen spoons and coffee tables.

"Lord Gareth, I presume?" A small man dressed in black sat behind a huge desk, "Your reputation precedes you."

Was that a touch of sarcasm?

I saw some unlit candles in their sconces along the wall, so I touched the tip of my sword to their wicks, and we were soon bathed in soft candlelight.

"Why thank you! That sword comes in mighty handy! I was just going to have my secretary come in and light them," He said, shuffling the papers he had been working on (in the dark?) into one neat pile. "She must have sent you in early; I wasn't quite finished with my nap."

I sheathed my Fang and sat across from him in an elegant chair.

"Sorry, if I came at a bad time," I said, "Can you tell me what you need me for?"

"I don't need you, Sir Gareth, Buya needs you!" He leaned forward dramatically, spreading his hands, "Our sweet home needs your help. Please say you will help. No less a personage than Prince M'hul recommended you for the job!"

M'hul? That was interesting. Back when I was mourning the loss of my wife, or drinking myself into idiocy, if you prefer, Prince M'hul and I had split more than one bottle of wine. Since Pteri's miraculous return, I had spent a lot less time in Taverns, but M'hul and I still saw each other once in awhile. He seemed to understand that my Questing days were over. So why would he recommend me for this?

"I am flattered that the Prince would suggest me," I said as diplomatically as possible, "But I have burned my "Quest Wanted" sign."

"If you insist, My Lord, but would you please hear me out first?" He lowered his voice, speaking in a conspiratorial tone, "Two weeks ago Princess Lasahn left the Palace on a hunting trip. She has not been heard from since. All magical attempts to reach her by Whisper have failed; we believe they are being blocked."

"Lasahn storming away in a huff is hardly news," I said, disappointed that I had wasted so much time already on this.

"Sadly, yes, the Princess does have a bit of a temper, but for two weeks without even a word to her ailing father?" Morgan seemed sincerely worried.

Even at her worst, Lasahn was a devoted daughter. If she hadn't been in touch with her father, then there was indeed something wrong.

"What do you want me to do?" I asked rhetorically, "I guess I could join a search party."

"That's the spirit!" He slicked back his hair, "This whole area is riddled with caves, but through a massive effort, we have searched all of the town of Buya and the surrounding countryside. We have left no stone unturned in the local caves, too. What we need is someone to check some of Her Highness' favorite hunting spots. We would like for you to tackle the Arctic Caves."

Battling Northern Ogres while trying to conduct a search? I had better get some help. Maybe my wife can get some time off from the University and if Blaster isn't too busy with Muse business...

"I guess I should get started."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.