The Quest For The King's Magic - Cover

The Quest For The King's Magic

Copyright© 2007 by GLSGareth

Chapter 4

As the door closed behind the young Mage, I turned to the group against the wall. Blaster was there, of course, but all my attention was drawn to a small dark woman standing next to him and it was before her that I presented myself. Her dress was flame red, embroidered with a pattern of a Phoenix rising from a sunburst. Strapped crosswise on her back was a huge sword. It looked heavy, but I knew it signified a responsibility heavier than any steel.

Removing my Helm, I bowed before the lady, taking my time, as I hadn't done this in years. It would be just my luck that now would be the time all that wine would take effect and I would look a fool in front of the Phoenix Clan's Primogeness!

"Hail, Phoenix!" I cheered, and meant it. "My life is yours."

"Well-met, Gareth, it has been too long since we have seen you in our Clan Hall," Khadijah replied, kindly. "Well done, too! I have been trying to teach those two manners for years... somehow I doubt they will soon forget THIS lesson in courtesy!"

"I apologize about that," I said, sheepishly. "I guess I could have been a trifle less dramatic, perhaps only bruising him a bit."

"Quite a gamble you took there," Someone I didn't recognize said from behind the Primogeness. "Using that old Whirlwind spell left you wide open without someone to Heal you."

"I had someone to Heal me." I nodded at Blaster. "A mage helped too, if I am not mistaken."

Khadijah smiled, "Leave it to an old Warrior to be able to tell one Heal spell from another just by having it cast on him! I helped a little, old friend."

"Thank you, My Primogeness, I am not worthy." I bowed again.

"Isn't it ironic that you spend your days with young Mages and Warriors," Khadijah mused, "Teaching them to see their own self worth, when you cannot even see your own?"

Blaster had been saying much the same thing for a decade; somehow it sounded more reasonable coming from her.

"I should go thank that young man." I said brushing off imaginary dust from my Moon blue armor, "Nothing like a good Hellfire to clean the blood off your platemail!"

"Wish it did as much for the smell," Blaster smiled, waving a hand in front of his nose.

Khadijah looked puzzled, so I knew that Blaster hadn't told her what he found me doing. I owed him another.

"I do not know about that, Gareth," Khadijah said, "But the color of your armor does NOT suit you." She invoked a small spell and my armor changed to a bright Phoenix red. "There! That is MUCH better!"

I bowed again at the honor of having the Primogeness dye my armor.

"I hope that youngster is lucky and gets a successful Rez. I would hate to have THAT on my conscience."

"You worry too much about the Resurrection spells failing," Blaster said. "This is not like it was back when they started to fail. The Arena spells always seem to work, the 'taint' that caused so many of our friends' spirits to be destroyed, only infects the deaths that occur under the protection of the King's Magic."

This revelation astounded me.

"Does this mean that the King's Magic produces this 'taint'"?

"We are still not sure," Khadijah said cautiously, "But it does seem to be related."

"How many people know this?" I scratched my head, wishing I had a wine bottle instead of an axe in my hand. "This is too much for me, I am only a simple Warrior. One that seems to be a little out of touch."

"That is the reason I recommended you to accompany me on this Quest, you have the fortuitous combination of being trustworthy, capable and 'out of touch'," Blaster said, "We have a clue as to what is going on, but have been unable to scry out who is behind this."

"What do you want from me?" I was sure I knew.

"What else?" Khadijah raised an eyebrow, perhaps reconsidering whether I really was simple. "We need you to restore the King's Magic and save the Kingdom."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.