Hoot - Cover

Hoot

Copyright© 2007 by Zaffen

Chapter 7: Epilogue

A little after midnight the Colonel was far into Louisiana and still headed south, passing within a few miles of where John Farmer was sleeping dreamlessly, resting from his honest labors.


The autopsy report on Bill Mackenzie confirmed what Pate had surmised, suffocation; fibers found in his windpipe were a match for his own pillow.

Pate's job settled into the normal routine, with a lot less excitement, which did not make him mad at all.

The State Crime Lab's report stated that they had found several prints on the back of the vehicle as if someone had been pushing it but no match found as, yet.


Officially, both Mackenzie's and Mona's deaths were still classified as Homicides by person or persons unknown, but Pate had a feeling it had something to do with the Colonel and his bunch. He just had no way to prove it.

There was still no sign of Tommy Daniels, his vehicle found abandoned, and, hidden in deep brush. There was not anything in it to give a clue to who else was involved or why.


Rafe Blander's Mother had mentioned to someone that, "The last she heard from him was when he had called to request that she send his savings to him some place in Louisiana about the time the first body was found."


Nobody had any explanation for the holes in the road on County Road 125 or the twisted hunks of metal that had once been vehicles. The crime lab did find traces of Semtex but not much else since it seemed the explosive devices wired into the fuel tanks as well.

The building at the compound had burned to the ground along with the Red SUV, because whatever the Colonel had been doing at that location or whatever was stored there had been extremely volatile and burned with a white-hot flame turning everything to dust or slag.

There had not, been anything left to provide any clues as to what had been going on, who the Colonel really was or who else had been involved.


Clank bitched, moaned and threatened but Pate quietly showed him some of the evidence he had been collecting, and the matter quickly forgotten. He even got a new White SUV out of the deal. At least there would not be any more fire chief jokes.


Pate was finding it easier to be able to spend time with Anna, although El Tigre' was not any too pleased about the situation but Pate figured he would just have to get over it.

The weather had settled into early springtime but there were still sudden cold snaps occasionally.

Jamie was back in school and hoot was back on his schedule both apparently none the worse for wear.

Jamie and Hoot were also getting better acquainted with Sherry who lived close enough to come over and visit or vice versa, and they were together every chance they got, studying, roaming the woods, hunting or just hanging out together.

Since Jamie had his own pretty friend to spend time with, he was very understanding when Pate and Anna wanted to spend time alone but they still all got together for a good natured game of Monopoly or some other board game as time permitted, while Hoot dozed by the stove whether it had a fire in it or not.


It had been about a week since all of the excitement, Jamie was getting ready for bed, with Hoot in his accustomed spot on the foot of the bed.

As usual, Jamie was talking to Hoot about the day and asked Hoot, "If he wanted pancakes and sausage for breakfast in the morning?"

Imagine his astonishment when he heard in his mind, Sounds good Pack Leader, I can barely wait.

Edited by Stormy Weather

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.