The Mirror Cracked
Chapter 9

Copyright© 2007 by RussellG

Construction site: Mid-Town

Things had gone from bad to worse since Goliath, Hudson, and Brooklyn had tried to stop what appeared at first to be a raid on the demolition tools and explosives stored at a building site under construction. They arrived to see a pair of security guards shooting it out with a trio of robbers, but when the Gargoyles swooped down to lend a helping hand to the outnumbered guards... the five men turned as one and opened fire on them. They tried to make their way to higher ground to take flight, but were stopped by laser fire from quarrymen, once hidden but who now seemed to spring from all directions! Now crouched down between a protective barrier of stacked steel beams, Goliath tried to use his communicator only to have it damaged by a stray shot.

"I think we walked right into a trap lads," Hudson said as he ducked from another volley of fire.

"Gee, ya really think so?" Brooklyn commented as more laser fire raked their position. "What makes you say that?"

"Hudson, come help me with these beams," said Goliath as he hefted on of the steel girders like a javelin. "Brooklyn, use your communicator to send for the others."

Brooklyn watched as Goliath and Hudson threw the girders, scattering the Quarryman then looked at the limited supply of them. "I only hope help arrives before our ammo runs out," he said and sent out a general call for help.

Castle Wyvern: Great Hall

Owen, who usually looked the model of calm, came into the hall with a worried look on him. Bronx sensed something was wrong at once and began to whine.

"What's up Owen?" Argent asked.

"I'm afraid we've picked up a rather disturbing transmission from Brooklyn. It seems the he; Goliath and Hudson have been ambushed by a large contingent of Quarryman, and are pinned down by laser fire. They require immediate aid."

Both Argent and Delilah were up and moving at once, with Bronx right behind them... but Argent stopped short and turned. "Are you going to be alright here by yourself Owen? It's just you, Alex and the staff here tonight."

"No need to worry, the new security measures are being put in place as we speak, and I can look after young master Alex, but thank you for asking."

Argent nodded, and the three of them resumed speed to the outside. Once at the wall, Argent bent down and picked up Bronx and took flight towards Mid-Town with Delilah at his side. He reached down with his free hand and activated his communicator. "Hang on guys... the calvary is on it's way!"

High over the City:

"You guys hear that?" asked Lex as he glided closer to Angela and Broadway. "Brooklyn came thru all right, so that means that they're O.K. for the moment... Goliath's communicator was damaged."

"Let's hurry!" Angela said.

"Yeah!" Broadway voiced. "The sooner we get there, the sooner we'll kick some Quarrymen butts!"

"I just hope there aren't any more surprises tonight," Lex said as he cinched the straps holding his lap-top to his body, and hurried to catch up with Angela and Broadway.

In the Labyrinth:

Brooklyn's call for help had been picked up by the Mutates. Maggie and Derek looked at each other.

"We have to go and help them, but we can't leave the Labyrinth unguarded," Derek said. "What if Sevarius's new Hunter comes down here while we're away?" Derek gestured to the men, women, and children that called the labyrinth home. "There's no way they could tackle anything like that by themselves!"

"You two go and help, I'll stay here and watch things," Claw told them with his new communicator voice that Lex had given him.

Maggie looked surprised, as did Derek. Usually Claw was not one for volunteering... or for being confrontational but with the voice that Lex had given him also came a new confidence as well.

"Are you sure?" Maggie asked him.

Claw nodded, and typed out a message on his keypad once more. "Absolutely, you two go... and if I need help I'll give a shout."

Maggie and Derek grinned for a moment as they turned and ran down a side tunnel to the nearest surface access, and took wing.

Near the Construction Site: Mid-Town.

Elisa and Matt pulled up to the police barricade a block from the battle. They had both heard the call for help that Brooklyn had made. She sprinted over to the nearest uniformed officer and flashed her badge. "Maza, Detective. You're going to have to move that barricade. My partner and I need to get thru."

The officer looked at her as though she were insane. "The Quarrymen are using heavy weapons, and slugging it out with a bunch of Gargoyles and you Want to go in? We have orders to hang back and wait for the special weapons unit."

"They're tied up with a robbery turned hostage situation across town," Matt said from Elisa's car. "They won't be here for a while... now do what she said and move the barricade!"

"Whatever you say," the officer said while moving the obstruction to one side. "But I still think you're both crazy."

"It's all part of the job," Elisa told him. ""To protect and serve... no matter what." She got back in her car, and speed toward the sound of laser-fire.

Construction Site:

The supply of steel girders that Hudson, Goliath, and Brooklyn were using to hold the Quarrymen at bay was slowly dwindling.

"I hope that help gets here soon lads," Hudson said as he heaved another steel missile towards the attackers. "We'll be running out of cover... and ammunition soon."

Brooklyn ducked from another volley of laser fire, and threw his girder towards the firing Quarrymen. "At least it can't get any worse," he muttered... but before he could say anything more he seemed to be lifted off of his feet and thrown out into the open by something unseen.

Hudson tired to leap to aid the young Gargoyle, but was downed in mid-jump and tossed next to the still dazed Brooklyn. Goliath reacted quickly and took a defensive position, but blows seemed to rain down on him from every direction until he too was tossed out into the open with his comrades. The Quarryman quickly surrounded the trio.

The Quarrymen team leader stepped forward, and lowered the muzzle of his laser rifle to where it pointed directly at Goliath's chest. "Looks like our secret weapon worked out better than we hoped... all right Bloodwulf you can come out now."

A blue corona of light flared near the rear of the group, and as it faded a tall figure walked towards them. The gathered Quarrymen parted to let the figure thru, and the surrounded trio star were shocked to see an almost familiar figure step forward. The reddish furred head bent down towards Brooklyn and snarled at him. "I guess you were wrong about it not getting any worse... eh?"

Goliath looked at the creature that the Quarrymen had called Bloodwulf. Except for his coloring and eyes, he was and exact double of Argent. He couldn't fathom how, or why Bloodwulf came to be working for the Quarrymen, but he knew he had to stall for time until help arrived. He tried to get up into a crouching position to spring, only to have his feet kicked out from under him by Bloodwulf.

"I really wouldn't try that again if I were you," the lead Quarryman said smugly. "Bloodwulf is much stronger, and faster than you are Goliath." He smiled at the trio and walked over to stand near Bloodwulf. "He really is an amazing creature isn't he, and unlike the one that seems to attached itself to you and the rest of your freaks... he's finished, and completely loyal to humans as he was meant to be."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.