Cost of Time - Cover

Cost of Time

Copyright© 2007 by Gina Marie Wylie

Chapter 8: Outposts

The next two and a half days weren't as bad as they would have been if Noia had left Baytown riding like they did on the way to Outpost. A moon and a half on the road had toughened Noia to the point where it was simply unpleasant, not impossible.

Great Galzar! Did Brigadier Markos and his soldiers move fast!

They topped a ridge and looked down at the lake with Outpost on an island at one end. Brigadier Markos was sitting his horse not far from Noia and grinned at her. "When the Grand Marshal first saw Outpost he turned to the High King and is reputed to have said, 'Why don't you give me towns like this to defend?'"

The other officers had guarded smiles and Noia bobbed her head. The fiction of her being an ordinary trooper was wearing thin. She didn't think that any of the soldiers realized she was a woman, but she spent entirely too much time with Brigadier Markos, much more than any ordinary corporal would.

Another palm-width and they were on a ferry, being pulled across to the island that was Outpost. Not everyone, mostly just officers, plus Trilium, Noia and Tanda Sa.

At the water's edge they were greeted by Count Tellan and his wife and a Ruthani named Manistewa who was there to greet Tanda Sa and a number of others. Everyone was, she quickly learned, still pretending she was a corporal.

There were more introductions, more than Noia was able to keep track of. Count Tellan stood out, reminding her of a thinner version of her father; not the same body shape, but the same quickness of mind, the same grasp of issues.

Manistewa also stood out, because he was introduced as a trader of the Northern Ruthani. Noia hadn't cared for the man when she first saw him and hearing his origin, her suspicions redoubled.

After a finger-width of small talk Count Tellan's wife spoke up. "I believe our guests might appreciate a chance for a good soak and a short nap before you haul them before the court for dinner tonight."

The count bowed to his wife. "Sergeant Trilium, Corporal Noius, please, this is Lady Becky," he indicated a girl a little younger than Noia, who had been standing silent and hadn't been introduced before then. "Lady Becky, if you would, would you escort our guests to the visitor's quarters."

"Aye, Count Tellan," the girl said confidently. She smiled at Noia. "Please, follow me. I hope you are in good shape, because Outpost is a city of steps. Up and down and all around."

"By now, Lady," Trilium told her, "we're past caring."

"Well, if I go too fast, tell me. Outpost is more than a mile above sea level and you will find yourself tiring faster than you are used to for the first few days. Cooking here is a real experience!"

Noia was quite sure that the rooms she was led to were another mile higher, yet.

Lady Becky opened the door and ushered Noia and Trilium through. They were in a large, well appointed room. "There, sergeant, are your chambers," Lady Becky pointed to a door. "There is a bath already drawn for you and clean clothes that should suit you. If not, there is a small hand bell, ring that and someone will see to your needs. In fact, for anything, ring the bell."

She turned to Noia. "Please, come with me." She led the way across the chamber and through another door. This room was smaller than the one they'd just left. "This is a sitting room, there is a bath and garderobe through there," she pointed out the doors. "A bedroom through there."

"Do you know who I am?" Noia asked the younger girl.

"Yes, I do."

"Am I a boy or a girl, today?"

Lady Becky grimaced. "Count Tellan says that is your choice to make. He understands that deception isn't honorable, lying isn't comfortable, nor are those clothes and what's expected of you when you're wearing them. Still, he feels that it would be best if you remain as you are. Brigadier Markos is a canny man. He spread the rumor that you are the son of a high noble, on the run for your life, with enemies snapping at your heels.

"He has ascribed the attack on the remount post and the convoy as part of the plot. Count Tellan believes that if it isn't the truth, it's certainly an odd coincidence. A fast ship might have left Baytown and reached one of the Olmecha towns, organized a raid, and gotten in place in time. Barely, probably. Elspeth feels the same way."

It took a second for Noia to make a conscious connection between "Elspeth" and "Queen Elspeth." From that, she remembered who Lady Becky was. This was the foremost scholar in Outpost? A girl not even as old as herself?

"Can you send the High King a message on my behalf?" Noia asked.

"Certainly, Lady Noia."

"Message him and tell him I'll remain a boy until just before I am to meet with him. Then I'll resume a dress and my identity."

Lady Becky grinned. "Most women greet the High King wearing dresses. However, you might want to reconsider that for later." She waved at her own tunic and pants. "Lady Noia, you'll be on one of the High King's ships. The masts of those are taller than the walls of Outpost. Climbing in a dress might be difficult. It would certainly distract the crew on deck, all of whom would be looking up your skirt."

Noia blushed, but Lady Becky shook her head. "I know, I favor dresses too... but not when I know I'm going to be going up and down the steps. You'll get used to it."

"At home, not many women wore pants and those women were the rougher sort."

"Things were like that here, but it's changing. As you have undoubtedly noticed, pants are much easier to go pee in."

"There's that," Noia said with a laugh.

"My lady, please. There is a hot bath. I've been chased for miles and miles by people trying to kill me and mine. It's no fun at all. My friends and I all have different backgrounds and different tastes in things. Yet, the moment we arrived here in Outpost we were offered a hot soak -- every last one of us were in the tubs as quickly as we could manage... even Duke Tuck."

"A hot soak doesn't cure all ills, but it doesn't take long before you forget what was troubling you," Noia agreed.

"Rest, relax, take a nap, if you wish. Count Tellan is fond of late suppers, so you have three palm-widths before I need to call you."

Noia expected a horde of people at dinner, but there were barely a dozen. Count Tellan and his wife, his oldest son, Lykos, and his wife, Brigadier Markos, Trilium, Tanda Sa and Noia, Lady Becky, a priest of Dralm, a priest of Galzar and Manistewa.

Noia studied the Northern Ruthani closely, wondering how Count Tellan could trust him.

Count Tellan commanded that dinner conversation was to be about the marvels of learning. Noia remembered that the Queen had told her that Lady Becky headed the school here in Outpost, but seeing her had left Noia concerned once again. Yes, she had been with Duke Tuck and Countess Judy as well as Queen Elspeth... but how had that prepared her to head a school?

Altogether there were a lot of mysteries that she didn't understand -- at first. For instance, Count Tellan's son had found the site for Outpost, designed the dam and roughed out a plan for the city. He was a little young, but he said he'd been an apprentice of a particular master builder in Hostigos, before he'd gone to work for the High King on his own.

Yet, it was clear he deferred to Lady Becky and when Noia asked probing questions about what was taught at her school at first it didn't make sense.

"My father," Lykos had said, "insisted that I spend some time teaching the art of building at the college. At first, I thought it was a waste of time. When Lady Becky talked with me about what to teach, I was appalled. That wasn't how you were supposed to teach at all!

"Yet, the more I thought, the more I understand what she meant. Together we have broken down the art of building into a variety of skills. Materials, design, construction and a couple of sub groups of those. Rock, wood, iron, for instance, for materials.

"Scheduling! We spent a half moon talking about how to teach scheduling construction! I learned ten times as much talking to Lady Becky as I ever learned from my master -- and she knew only how to ask smart questions! Then we did a trial run with a half dozen young logistos... who have to learn scheduling for their own duties!

"It was astonishing! There were so many things that applied as much to scheduling things in building as there are scheduling how much fireseed an army will need and where! But the time I finished that first class I had learned so very, very much!

"And, I've taught my skills to others! And they'll be teaching and I'll be teaching. It is beyond marvelous."

"I don't understand how someone who isn't a master builder can teach a master builder his skill," Noia told him.

He laughed, as did his father. "H'duk!" Lykos replied. "That's Lady Becky's abbreviation that means 'How do you know?' When you talk out such knowledge, you learn far more than you ever expected. I think that those masters who teach their skills are far greater masters than those who just work at their skill after having been apprentices.

"We have been going over every skill we can think of, talking with masters, refining subjects. The High King has heard of this and is very impressed. He has commanded that Lady Becky come to Hostigos for two years to show the masters at the High King's University what we've been doing and what we've learned."

Lady Becky smiled. "I told him I'd only agree if for every palm-width I spent teaching, I spent one learning."

Noia was aghast. "You bargained with the High King?"

Count Tellan laughed. "Dear Noius, let me assure you that our king understands how to bargain! He does not fault a man -- or woman -- who bargains in good faith. The more important the subject, the more important it is that you should bargain is his belief."

"I have a lot to learn myself, then," she told them.

Brigadier Markos had spent most of the meal listening to the conversation and now he spoke, "Count Tellan, may I inquire as to the status of dinner? Are we done eating?"

"Yes and yes, Brigadier," the count said. Count Tellan turned to Noia. "As a favor, because I'm getting old and such things bother me, I ask those at my table not to smoke during dinner. After dinner it is okay, because if Brigadier Markos lights up his pipe, I open the door to the outside! At least tonight it's mild."

"Earlier," Brigadier Markos said, as he started to load his pipe, "I messaged Count Tellan that Pinyon and the Ruthani weren't likely to catch the raiders. This afternoon, I'm pleased to report the raiders lost a ship trying to pass into the ocean from the Muddy River and another ran aground.

"While Pinyon cannot be sure, he doubts that more than seventy-five men were aboard the ship that escaped and perhaps as few as fifty. Oh, how the God-King will wail and lament, losing two of three of his ships and nine of ten of his men!"

Count Tellan nodded in appreciation, then said, "In related news, the High King has reported to me some interesting information about the goings-on in the God-Kingdom. It has always been nearly impossible to learn anything about it. The war pulled the veil apart, a bit, but the unrest south of the border has continued to keep it difficult.

"Now however, things are settling down, and the refugee stream has slowed considerably. And, as we can see, they are becoming more aggressive against us.

"This will interest you the most, Brigadier Markos, because of something you said two years ago at the battle of Three Hills."

"Sir?" Markos inquired, curious.

"The High King was much taken with the young man who'd been your junior aide at the battle and who then went on to become such a fearsome man with a mortar!"

"He's Captain Legios now, a very capable officer," Markos told them. "It is always nice to know that you are a good judge of character!"

"Indeed so! The High King was curious about the young man's impressions of his first battle, plus the natural curiosity of a King about a commander who takes an attack by an enemy five times his number and counts his casualties in the tens and those of his enemies in the thousands."

"Lieutenant Gryllos," Noia said, the words escaping her mouth. "He was also unbelievable."

"He did very well, Noius," Brigadier Markos told her. "But I admit more curiosity just now about what Captain Legios had to say about me."

Count Tellan laughed. "Aye, it's always like that isn't it? We hold ourselves in high esteem, but we yearn to hear the honest opinion that good men hold of us.

"He said that the God-King's artillery followed close on the heels of their infantry, wheeled into position and prepared quickly and started firing on your guns. You told Captain Legios that you hoped that the man who commanded those guns died in the first volley of your guns, because the man was good at what he did and you could ill afford a man like that to oppose you."

Markos nodded. "I remember saying something like that, yes."

"Galzar didn't smile on your wish, Brigadier. The man lived. Moreover, he was a first cousin of the God-King, a young man of about twenty-five. You have no idea how competent he was -- because now Xyl, as he styles himself, has overthrown the heirs of the God-King."

There was silence in the room as everyone digested that. Noia was surprised when Manistewa spoke. "Xyl was their commander of artillery at Three Hills. After the battle, General Denethon ordered all of the guns spiked. Xyl agreed, but instead of destroying his guns, he destroyed about half, then put the ones that remained into hidden positions.

"Captain-General Harmakros expected to brush aside the skirmishers that had been left behind and then quickly catch up with those who had fled so he could destroy them. Instead, a volley of grape shot sent his van back, dozens of men dead. Harmakros had to bring up his own artillery and then spend half a day breaking the skirmishers. At the end, Xyl did spike his surviving guns, and then took off into the brush.

"We don't know what happened after that, but a moon later he commanded at Zimapan, and when that city revolted, he retreated further south. At the end of the war it was he who led the last attack on Zimapan, in seeming defiance of the God-King. The God-King told the High King that he had ordered the attack halted and withdrawn.

"In any event, the High King rode to the city's defense, and only when the High King got close, did Xyl turn his soldiers around, saying that the cowardly God-King had snatched victory from him at the last heartbeat."

Manistewa craned forward to look at Count Tellan. "One other interesting thing about Xyl. The Captain who commanded the security at the God-King's pyramid when Gortan, Vertax, Lion and Hestius came calling is now the Captain of the new king's personal guard. Not the usual reward for failing in your duty to protect the king."

"A young, ambitious and above all, capable king," Count Tellan said sadly, shaking his head. "We could ask for no worse an outcome."

"The God-King's daughter-in-law was not there at the pyramid the day her husband and sons died," Manistewa went on. "She managed to install herself as Queen-Regent, the crown passing through her daughter to her daughter's first-born son. Xyl was careful to proclaim loyalty up until the last heartbeat, when he took the survivors of the original God-King's family. But, beware of this: instead of taking them up the pyramid and sacrificing them to the memory of her husband, he had them shot in the main square of Tenosh."

"Add ruthless and patient to his other virtues," Brigadier Markos told them. "Not a good combination at all."

The silence that followed lasted several heartbeats.

Manistewa grimaced. "Worse still, Brigadier. As the blood of the woman and her daughter was running along the cobbles, Xyl started killing all of the priests and a few of the nobles. They didn't have their hearts cut out -- they were simply stood up against the nearest wall and shot. King Xyl says there will be no more sacrifices on the pyramids. Never again."

The room was silent for a long time after that.

Count Tellan shook himself and spoke, "Sergeant Trilium, Tanda Sa, Corporal Noius. The day after tomorrow at dawn, I'm sending Lady Becky east for her appointment with the High King. If you wish, you may accompany her."

"That would be good, Count Tellan," Trilium replied. Noia managed a nod.

"It will be a grand adventure," Tanda Sa exclaimed.

Count Tellan smiled slightly. "I hope so. You'll travel southeast through the lands of the Lost Ruthani, then east to the new city the High King is building, called Kingstown, well north of the Big River. A moon, more or less. Kingstown is the current terminus of the steam puller road. From there, you'll be two days from the ferry over the Great River at Xiphlon, and another moon-quarter to Hostigos. In less than two moons you will travel 2700 miles!"

Noia heard a sound like a suppressed giggle from Lady Becky. She watched the younger girl carefully, but there was little or no expression on her face. Still, Noia noted it down, curious herself.

Later the next day she had a private audience with the Count. "Lady Noia, I am sorry for all this subterfuge," he explained.

She shrugged. "It has to be that they know I'm here. It would be too much of a coincidence if the first attack by the new God-King's forces was against a convoy I was traveling with. We traveled at the normal pace; there was only one day where we lost a half day. I think it was a mistake on Captain Landsruhl's part, because he did not understand the desert."

"That is my thought, too. If he'd been on time, like as not you'd have faced all five hundred of them a mile or so short of the remount post, in the mid-afternoon. So they hatched this plan to split their force and try to wipe out both Captain Landsruhl's convoy and Lieutenant Gryllos' garrison at the remount station at the same time.

"One of the dangers of having an aggressive and daring leader is the temptation on the part of his subordinates to show off for their leader."

Noia nodded.

"By continuing with the hoax," the Count went on, "perhaps we will fool them, perhaps not. We will assume not, but hope for."

"Count Tellan, may I ask you a personal question?"

"Of course, Lady Noia."

"Why do you trust Manistewa, the Northern Ruthani? They are in open revolt, the vast majority of them, against King Freidal and they raid your King as well."

"I have watched him, as I watch all men, Lady Noia. As I watch all women. Treachery used to be commonplace, back in the days when the priests of Styphon stirred us against each other. The High King has shown us a better way, one that honorable men have no trouble accepting and following.

"The High King has asked tasks of Manistewa, and he's delivered, frequently at peril of his life. He has done as the High King has asked of him, meeting the High King's requests for information.

"For all of that, Tanda Havra doesn't like him much, either. Or Lady Judy, Lady Becky or even your Queen. Tuck keeps his own counsel, but if his wife doesn't like Manistewa, I suspect the Duke doesn't either.

"Nonetheless, it was information volunteered by Manistewa that made it possible to take Xipototec, Manistewa's man in Xipototec was one of those who killed the God-King; a brave, if fell, deed.

"In short, while the man seems to be dislikeable, that isn't sufficient for me not to trust him."

"I was curious, sir. I know of no reason to dislike or distrust him, except that I don't."

"My lady wife stood on the walls of Outpost and called to your King's men to shoot her in the nose. She was quite graphic in her verbal challenge, regarding their man-parts and their inability to shoot straight. Yet, if my wife sees a spider in her bath, she shrieks and calls for help."

Noia understood him. Everyone had their personal likes and dislikes, even if they didn't make sense.

"Count Tellan..." Noia wasn't sure how to say what she had to say. "At the waterhole, I never fired. Not even once. Trilium did and killed a man. My sergeant did, standing no further from me than you sit now, and he killed a man. We withdrew to the center, crawling on our bellies. That was when Lieutenant Gryllos came.

"Our attackers had emptied their rifles at our horses, not even bothering with us. The lieutenant attacked them when they were reloading. Instantly, the battle was changed. We were just getting over the shock when the survivors on the other side of the waterhole emptied their rifles at us again and charged. Our soldiers started to fire in reply, but Gryllos was too quick once again; another bugle call and the rest of them were dead. Not even a finger-width, Lord Count. I have never heard of the like in my life. Yet I saw it with my own eyes.

"And then they bundled me up and put me to help with the wounded, out of danger. Even Trilium went and watched your mortars shoot, instead of exposing himself in the battle."

Count Tellan was silent for a moment. "When I was a lad, with only blonde stubble on my cheeks, a bully challenged me, claiming I had no honor, that my family had no honor. I did not know then, how to deflect such challenges, so I agreed to the duel the bully wanted.

"My father was furious. At me, as well as at the bully. He drilled me for a full day, Lady Noia. A full day. He would stand next to me and scream, 'Turn!' and I was supposed to turn so I faced sideways. Twice I did it wrong, twice his fists knocked me to the ground.

"That night he took me to a place where young men sometimes go to relieve themselves of their virginity. 'Here, drink, ' my father told me, 'eat well, make love to a beautiful woman, for tomorrow you will die.'"

Count Tellan chuckled, not something Noia would have expected. "I ate heartily and drank even more heartily and promptly fell asleep somewhere around my second cup of wine, even before I had looked upon the women.

"I woke fresh and ready the next morning, and at dawn I faced the bully. I turned and he fired before he stopped moving. I felt the bullet brush my nose; it hurt, it was that close.

"And yet, there I stood, my pistol unfired. He looked at me and saw death. I lifted my pistol and took aim... and he started to reload. I shot the fireseed horn from his hand, Lady Noia. Worse for him, I called the shot. Worse for him, I broke some of his fingers when the horn was wrenched from his grip.

"He stood there, rooted to the spot; in our dueling system, once you turn, you can't move your feet and his fireseed was a dozen feet away. If he'd have moved to reach it, his second was oath bound to shoot the coward.

"I called for him to hold up his hand, and sure enough, his hand was bloody. 'Blood has been shed, ' I called, 'my honor is satisfied.'"

"He was lucky."

Count Tellan shook his head. "Not so lucky as all that. A year after the High King ascended to the throne, the man who challenged me 'conspired with' Duke Skranga. When he learned the truth, knowing he was a dead man, he walked into a tavern and slandered Queen Rylla. The High King heard of it and went to him. Instead of challenging him to a duel, the High King punched him and called him a coward who only had the courage to attack a woman and then only with words.

"The man challenged Kalvan to a duel. He was insane, you understand? Kings don't fight duels, their champions do. So he faced Lord Verkan, who decreed rifles at a thousand paces."

"A thousand paces?" The thought was almost a joke.

"Yes, a thousand paces. Lord Verkan's first shot was as close as the man's first shot had been to me."

"At a thousand paces?"

"Lady Noia, at Three Hills, Brigadier Markos' men opened fire at a mile, more than half again a thousand paces. They didn't kill many, but it was enough to set doubt in the minds of their attackers. The man's first shot at Lord Verkan struck sparks halfway between them.

"The man turned to run, ignoring the penalty; he'd paid his second not to shoot. Except Duke Skranga stood next to the second, telling him he was pardoned if he did as custom required or Lord Verkan's next bullet would come for him if he didn't. The second's next shot took the bully in the belly.

"Of course, it was Duke Skranga. Less than a heartbeat later, Lord Verkan's bullet tore the bully's throat out, even as he was starting to fall from the other shot."

The Count grinned at Noia. "That one time... in a duel, no less... is the only time I've ever fired a weapon against an enemy. Lady Noia, our duty isn't to personally kill our enemies; it is our duty to inspire and lead our loyal followers to do it on our behalf."

Noia was silent, not sure what to say. "Lady Noia, two questions. You say you tended to the wounded?"

"Yes, sir."

"Are you a fine rifle shot?"

"I'm okay, but not as good as the others. We practiced many evenings. I was in the lower third of the marksmen. Trilium was very upset with me."

"Lady, someone must tend to the wounded. I can't speak for your King, but in our army those that can't shoot straight become horse holders and tend the wounded in battle. Or become officers." He laughed after the last.

Noia grimaced. "It isn't a pleasant thing to contemplate."

"Then contemplate your duty, Lady Noia. You will find that far harder than marking a target, whether or not that target is shooting back."

Noia bowed her head.

"Sometimes in battle, Lady Noia, small things mean so very much, then and later. Have you heard of Lady Judy's defense of Tarr-Dombra?"

Noia shook her head.

"Lady, Tarr-Dombra is a stark fortress in old Hostigos. As stark a fortress as exists. By all means, visit it if you get a chance."

It was on the tip of Noia's tongue to ask how Lady Judy had gotten to Old Hostigos, but realized she didn't understand and so kept silent.

"Tarr-Dombra was what the Army of Mexico called a strong point on their left at the Battle of Tarr-Dombra. Tarr-Dombra commanded a steep rocky ridge, with only a narrow path up the ridge that led to it and an even narrower path that led back to the main position. It was solid stone, with a firing slit barely high enough for a man to slide through on his belly.

"Lady Judy commanded Lord Tuck's Field Intelligence; those who go among the dead after a battle to seek information. She drew her soldiers from the young people of Xipototec. Supposedly, they were to be sixteen or seventeen years old. Except Lady Judy was only fourteen, so some of those with her were her age as well, because she would not deny such.

"There were thirty of them, including her and one of my sergeants. You've heard of him, Sergeant Hestius, one of those who killed the God-King. Lord Tuck reinforced them with fifty of my men. Not just any men, but men of Outpost. Not summer soldiers, but men I knew and worked with every day for years.

"The God-King attacked Lord Tuck with more than forty thousand soldiers. First, they essayed a demonstration attack against Tarr-Dombra. Lady Noia, the God-King's General Thanos sent a thousand men against Tarr-Dombra. Fifteen people survived in that chamber."

Noia blinked. The stuff of heroes! And they had been led by a woman younger than her? And they had won?

"Lady Noia, Lord Tuck wanted me to understand one thing about that desperate battle. They had no hope, do you understand? None!"

Noia nodded numbly. Could she face something like that? Sure, in the bright clear light of day, with enemies miles and miles away, who wouldn't say yes?

"Lady Judy had her soldiers pull their dead and wounded back, and told them to lay the dead to rest with honor, and succor the wounded as they could, even if it was just a squeeze of the hand. They found the time, Lady, to do those things in circumstances so horrible the mind can barely imagine them.

"I am a soldier. Had I been there, I'd have been at the parapet, directing my soldiers to kill our enemies. I would have decided there was nothing I could do for the dead and little time to spare, if any, for the wounded. I would have fought valiantly... and I'm sure, I'd have died with those with me.

"Lady Judy fought with a shovel after her rifle was broken. And still she and her people had time to care for their dead and wounded.

"Lady Judy still commands Lord Tuck's Field Intelligence unit and they still number thirty. I send the best soldier I have, to be their sergeant. The Ruthani have fights about who will serve with Lady Judy; they revere her nearly as much as they revere Tanda Havra. They have a waiting list in Tecpan of those of the Mexicotal who would serve in that unit. There are more than fifty thousand names on the list."

Noia shook her head, uncertain what to say.

"So, tending the wounded is not dishonorable, eh?" he finished.

"No, it isn't. I'm sorry, Lord Count."

"You are young yet. War, Lady Noia, is a hard and sometimes swift teacher... if you can survive. You've had a few hard lessons yourself. You have to learn even from victories."

She bowed her head. "I will try to justify the trouble everyone is going to in my name."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.