Anthem: Book 1 - The Beginning - Cover

Anthem: Book 1 - The Beginning

Copyright© 2007 by Bytor

Chapter 4: I don't Want to Change the World

Drama Sex Story: Chapter 4: I don't Want to Change the World - Alex had it all, a great life, cool friends, and a loving family. What more can a fourteen your old need? But life isn't always what we want, which Alex finds out when tragedy strikes. With the help of friends and family Alex begins to accept what life has dealt, but never forgetting a life taken too early.

Caution: This Drama Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including mt/ft   Romantic   First  

I don't wanna change the world
I don't want the world to change me

Ozzy Osbourne, from the album No More Tears

The day after the get together with the Millers, Alex gathered a light breakfast of toast, a glass of orange juice, and a banana, and walked outside to eat on the deck. His parents had left earlier for a meeting with the lawyer, something about the house, he thought. Left on his own he decided to eat breakfast outside; they didn't have a deck at the last house, so he decided to try something new. With the forest preserve behind the house, Alex ate silently as he listened to the sounds of nature, birds chirping from the trees, squirrels rustling through the fallen leaves on the hunt for their morning breakfast, and the sounds of trees swaying in the breeze.

His solitude was interrupted by the sound of the Miller's screen door banging closed as Mr. Miller stepped out of his house. Thinking back to yesterday's conversation on joining the wrestling team, Alex jumped up and called out to Mr. Miller, who waved Alex over.

"Good morning Alex, how are you doing today?" as he walked to his garage.

"Good. Had a nice breakfast on the deck. It was pretty cool"

"Yeah, we do that sometimes, with lunch, sometimes dinner if we barbecue."

"I was wondering if I could talk to you about wrestling, yah know, what I should be doing to get in shape before school starts."

"So, you're serious about joining wrestling, that's good to hear," as Mr. Miller stopped what he was doing to focus on Alex. Thinking for a few seconds he continued, "Ok Alex, this is what you do" which began a discussion on getting into shape, the pitfalls of jumping into the routines too quickly, and the anticipated results.

The routines outlined by Mr. Miller was straight forward and contained several routines to help prepare Alex for trying out for the wrestling team. They consisted of jumping rope as a warm-up, followed by pre-workout stretches, something that Alex was very familiar with because of Tae Kwon Do.

"Next is weightlifting. Do you have weights?"

"Yeah, my Dad has some. I could ask to use them."

"Have you used them before?"

"No, I haven't really used them."

"Ok that will change the workout at first. I assume you know what dumbbells are right?"

Alex nodded his head yes.

"Ok, so start off with the dumbbells," started another discussion on the use of weights and how they should be used for training, all the while using caution. The weight regimen consisted of several exercises to build up the upper body and leg muscles. Finally Mr. Miller said "Be sure to talk to your Dad on this, I want him to know what it is that you are doing so if he has any concerns he can restrict the exercise routine I am giving you."

"Yeah. I'll talk to my Dad about all of this."

"Great, the next routine is running, have you ever jogged before?"

Alex shook his head no.

"Hmm, let's start slowly," and to Alex's credit he didn't bat an eye as another series of training routines were sent his way. These consisted of at first a one mile run for a half mile, followed by walking for another half mile until his body can maintain the work load, by which time he should increase to a full two mile run, twice a day. After the runs he was to do a couple of 100-yard sprints at first, increase those to ten by the time schools starts.

"When you're done, cool down and stretch out, using the routine I outlined before, grab the jump rope and jump for a couple minutes to come down off your high intensity level. That should be it for the workout."

"That's pretty intense, isn't it?" asked Alex.

"Yeah, but remember, progression is the key, don't start out at full throttle, build up to it. Keep in mind that you'll need to be well conditioned and ready for the meets. If you're not careful you can be injured, physically and mentally, by competing too early, so have patience, it will be worth it."

"I would also recommend you begin watching what you eat. Talk to your parents about nutrition and read up on it at the library; you'll find it critical."

"Ok. I have something to do now rather than sit back and get fat and lazy" laughed Alex.

"That's the spirit. Keep that in mind when you start training."

Alex thanked him and walked back to the deck and took the dishes back into the kitchen. While washing and putting away the dishes he decided that this was a good place to start his workout ritual. He went up to his room and put on his workout clothes: running shorts, two pairs of sweat socks, cotton T-shirt, and his good gym shoes. Looking around his drawers he found his jump rope, grabbed it and sprinted downstairs out to the yard.

He performed a couple of stretches before starting his jump rope routine, starting slowly before building up to a good rhythm that continued for the five minutes. After stopping and put the jump rope down and began his stretching, thinking that he would forgo the weights until he talked to his Dad.

After completing the stretching routine, he walked out to the front of the house. Looking both ways, he decided to go the opposite way from Keith's house and headed off.

It was the first time he had gone through the neighborhood and was carefully memorizing the houses he passed, keeping track of where he was in relation to his home. He decided to keep it simple, four blocks down four blocks over, four blocks back, and four blocks back home. It was somewhere around two miles, half way through he would see how he felt and would walk the rest of the way home.

The area was quiet and peaceful, unlike his old neighborhood; he guessed that the suburbs are like that. The houses were very well kept, the lawns were immaculate and the landscaping was beautiful. They really keep up their homes, he thought. It was kind of eerie that it was so clean. He looked around and didn't see any leaves on the ground, or any litter, and even the garbage cans looked brand new.

As he made the last turn home, and it was more of the same, everything was well kept and clean. Who lived here he wondered. Are they all retired with nothing to do but keep their place clean, or do they have someone to come in and clean up for them? He hoped his parents weren't going to be anal retentive when they see the other homes in the area.

Finishing his first day of training, Alex went upstairs and took a quick shower and followed it up with a leisurely swim in the pool. Maybe things aren't so bad here, he thought. The Miller's are nice he thought, and what a babe Mrs. Miller is. Man, wouldn't it be cool to see her in a bikini! Maybe we can have a swim party.

He was thinking of Mrs. Miller in her bikini when he heard his parents walk into the house, coming from their visit to the lawyers. He considered asking them about the pool party but thought that might be a little obvious with him drooling. Oh well, better learn to control those emotions a little bit better, thought Alex.

He got out of the pool and dried off quickly before heading into the house where he yelled "Hey, Mom and Dad, how was the lawyer?"

As he walked into the house he was caught by surprise by the expression on his Mom's face. Normally a happy person, her face conveyed tension as she stood there holding her purse staring at her shoes.

Cautiously Alex asked, "What's wrong Mom?"

His Mom turned to him and was about to say something when his Dad answered "Nothing's wrong Alex. It was a, strange meeting with the lawyer. That's all."

"Is there something wrong with the house?"

Before Mom could say anything his Dad jumped in "No Alex, the house is fine. We have a couple of issues that are left over from the sale, is all. So what did you do today?" as he walked past Alex into the kitchen.

Giving his Mom a look of concern Alex replied "Nothing much. I talked with Mr. Miller about training for wrestling; he gave me some tips and said I should run them by you. Let's go to the garage and go over them."

Pulling his Dad to the garage went over the routines that Mr. Miller outlined. His Dad nodded his head in approval and showed Alex the weight routines along with pointers on the proper techniques. After his Dad left, Alex picked up the jump rope and completed the necessary routines, followed by three complete sets of the weight workout.


Saturday, late in the afternoon, Alex was laying down on the recliner next to the pool enjoying the quiet of the evening, when the silence that he enjoyed so much was shattered when the OTHER next door neighbors returned from their vacation. At first it was the enormous diesel generated Winnebago that killed the silence, followed by a horde that spewed out from within the vehicle after the behemoth stopped. Alex was fascinated that so many people could emerge so quickly, and loudly, from the behemoth. In all he counted seven kids ranging in age from 4 to 18, followed by two adults, who apparently never missed a meal, and yelling and screaming were the standard mode of communication with this family.

As they milled around the outside of the beast, the father began yelling at the mother, who in turn yelled at the oldest siblings, who in turn yelled at the younger siblings, who in turn didn't pay attention to anyone and began running around the yard.

As Alex watched the chaos unfold from the neighbors yard, his Mom and Dad came out, with Dad looking like he was ready to go combat with somebody, namely Alex, for having a party. Alex put up his hands and shook his head innocently and pointed to the new neighbors. His Mom followed his gesture and located the source of the noise, shook her head and walked back into the house. His Dad bowed his head in defeat and slowly followed his wife back into the house.

Off the hook, at least for the time being, Alex turned back to the carnage that the new neighbors had brought. Somehow the father was able to communicate through a series of hand gestures and body language what he wanted; the mother, the receiver of the gestures, directed the older siblings to begin offloading the metal whale as she began to corral the younger siblings. After a few minutes chaos they all got in line and proceeded in their duties, looking like ants taking food from a picnic. Fascinating, thought Alex.

After 30 minutes the gargantuan vehicle appeared to be fully unloaded as the brood moved into the house. For all of the yelling, screaming, and chaotic gestures given by one and all, they moved with efficiency similar to what the movers had shown. Alex was thoroughly impressed.

Alex went back to his leisurely existence, lying like a bump on a log on the recliner, when his peace was again interrupted by a girl's voice from the new neighbors yard, "Hi. I take it you're the new neighbor?"

Looking up Alex looked towards the voice peering over the bushes separating the two yards. She appeared to be his age with short brown hair, brown eyes, a smallchest, and a huge grin. Not a bathing beauty, thought Alex, but cute none the less. Alex, after completing his assessment replied "That I am. My name's Alex, Alex Thomason, formerly of Chicago, new resident of Palos something or other. And you are?"

"My name is Candy, Candy Samples" she replied with a huge grin.

"Candy Samples? You've GOT to be kidding me!"

"NO! That's my name! Got a problem with that?" she said loudly and menacing as she placed her hands on her hips.

The cute smiling face that greeted Alex just minutes before was gone and fear began to creep into the back of Alex's mind as he replied shakily, "Ah, no. It's just that it sounds like a, oh never mind"

"No say it! It sounds like what?" she said spitting out the words.

"Like a name a porn star would use" replied Alex, with the beginnings of a serious blush.

"So I'm a porn star?" she said sarcastically.

"NO, I said it SOUNDS like a name a porn star would use. Not that you are." Alex looked around for the cavalry; surely they would be here any minute.

The stern look on her face was replaced by a grin shortly followed by open laughter "Man, I had you going there! Man, are you easy!! My name, my REAL name, is Jennifer Lindenberger. Sorry about that, couldn't help myself. You looked like a deer caught in the headlights, Alex! So, when did you move in?"

"Last Saturday, got here just after noon" still shaky but now warily watching Jennifer.

"So how old are you?" she asked putting her head in her hands.

"Turned Fourteen in May, and you?"

"I'll be fourteen in August. So you going to the local Public High School, or are you a preppie scum?"

Ok, time for payback though Alex, "Neither, I'm home schooled. My parents believe that schools are killing the family by taking parental rights away, and by placing the blasphemous belief that we are descendant from apes above that of the holy scripture. Not only that but teaching the absurd belief that all men are created equal when we all know that's not true!" replied Alex with a dead pan face.

Alex watched as Jennifer's face went from a huge grin to that of disbelief. She picked up her head from her hands and blinked several times. Her mouth opened as to say something but closed it quickly. She bit her lip and looked to her house and back to Alex, looking extremely nervous.

Finally letting her off the hook Alex shook his head and said, "Talk about the deer in the headlights look. Damn" Alex laughed.

Her face went from looking nervous, to disbelief, to anger, to amusement in two seconds. "You played me? You dick! I can't believe you played me like that!! A nice girl like me, and you played me!! I can see we are going to get along nicely!"

"Before we go further, were even, right? For the rest of today no BS! Agreed?" he asked imploringly.

"Agreed! Truce for today." Jennifer said with a slight smile, and extended her hand to seal the deal.

Taking her hand in his they shook, warm and inviting, thought Alex, but before he had a chance to question her she continued, "So are you preppie scum or like the rest of us?"

"Alas, I am as you. I am looking forward to my time in this fair state run institution."

"It's not a prison" she smirked.

"So you've been there?"

"YES, I've been there! My older sister, Roxanne, is a cheerleader and I've been there for the Basketball and Football games. It's not a bad school, most of the students are ok, well, depending on what clique you're in."

"Yeah that's what I hear. The group I hung out with, before moving here, were talking about the different cliques and how they interacted with each other. Not looking forward to that!" he said with distaste.

"Yeah, I know what you mean. I remember when Roxanne got into High School and worried about being accepted in the 'Hotties' clique, she was a real bitch during that time. I swore that I would never get so worked up about getting into a group as she did. She's an idiot!" she seemed thoroughly pissed at remembering the event.

"You going to be a cheerleader like your sister?"

"No way. One sexpot in the family is enough, not to speak bad about my sister but God, she can't keep her legs closed for anything! Oh shit, forget I said that!"

"Yeah, like that's possible NOW. I take it that she is, ah, amiable with her friends? And what she does bothers you?"

"Well Duh! I'm afraid that some people will think that we share the same, uh, extracurricular activities, you know, guilt by association. I wish I could go somewhere else where people don't know her," the last came out with venom. "Don't get me wrong, I love my sister, I just don't approve of her behavior."

"I am a firm believer that you are what YOU are, not what other people think you are. But then again, some people are just assholes" he said matter of factly. "Why don't you come up and take a seat? I could introduce you to my parents."

"I was wondering when you would invite me over! Geez, I don't have a disease or anything" she laughed as she made her way around the fence and up onto the deck.

"Alright, Ok. Sorry" replied Alex as he got up from the recliner. "Let's go inside and you can meet my parents." Alex walked to the screen door, turned his head towards Jennifer and winked before yelling, "Mom, Dad, got a visitor. You decent?"

That cracked Jennifer up as she said, "Living dangerously are we?"

"Only live once, doncha know" as he opened the screen door to let Jennifer in. "Oh, by the way were Nudists so it wasn't a joke. Don't worry, we usually don't require people to undress. Unless they want to" he said with a wink.

"Truce, uh. We'll see about that!" she said with an evil grin.

Trying to be funny thought Alex. Oh shit, this is bad. Real bad.

"What do you mean decent!" came the cry from Mom as she came into the kitchen. "Oh, and who is your friend that you need to warn your parents to be decent?"

"Mom this is Jennifer Lindenberger, Jennifer this is my Mom. Jennifer lives next door, they just got back from vacation."

"Nice to meet you Jennifer" replied Alex's mother as she extended her hand.

Jennifer took it and gave a look of surprise at Alex. "Alex? I thought you said your name was George? I bet your last name isn't Daley either is it!"

In total surprise Alex's Mom said, "What did you say to this nice young lady, Alex?"

Just as Alex was about to say something his Dad walked in. Not willing to let this go Jennifer continued softly but loud enough for everyone to hear "Hey George, is this your Aunt's freeloading boy friend?"

Now Alex's Dad's eyes shot wide open in surprise as he questioningly looked between Jennifer and Alex. He then turned to his wife and said "Hey Honey, hey George, who's your new friend?"

"Huh? Uh, well, Dad? Uh I'm Alex" what the hell is going on here now thought Alex.

Very quietly Dad leaned over to Alex and said, "Is that your NEW name? I thought the Witness Protection people said it was George. Or was that at the other place, yeah know, the one that went..." and then he made an explosion sound and moved his hands moved up and away.

That's when Mom lost it "James John Thomason you stop it right now! And you Alexander James Thomason, you better explain yourself right now!" Oh shit, full names, including the middle one. Damn. I'm screwed now thought Alex. Right now he wished that he was George, IN the witness protection program! Oh well.

"Ok Mom. This is what happened. They were playing ball outside and..."

"Alex, cut it out. I'm sorry, it's my fault entirely. Well, maybe not all of it. Anyway, I played a prank on Alex, about my name. And then he got me back. We called a truce while talking on the deck for the rest of the day. Than we he brought me inside your home to introduce me he tried to mess with me again, so I, ya know, tried to get him back. Guess I did that, didn't I?" she said sheepishly.

"Teenagers! What is it with pulling each other's leg! You and your sister did that all the time. And you REMEMBER how much trouble that got the two of you into! Don't you ALEX?!"

"Yes Mother." There, the whole name, not Mom, not Ma, but Mother. That should get me off the hook thought Alex.

"Don't Mother me, Alex! And you, James, you're old enough to know to NOT to egg him on like you ALWAYS do! What is this impressionable young girl to think!"

"Yes Dear. You're right, Dear. I'm sorry, Dear," and there was that twinkle in his eye, sight unseen for those many months. He had her and he knew it as Mom's face began to get red. But as quickly as she flared up, she cooled down, shook her head and looked over to Jennifer, and with a voice dripping with sarcasm, "Well, at least some of us have the proper upbringing in this household to offer our new neighbor a cool refreshment." She turned around and walked towards the fridge "What would you like? Water, soda, cold brew?"

"Cold what? Um, well, yes, water would be fine, uh thanks," replied Jennifer in a shocked tone.

As the words finished stumbling out of her mouth everyone cracked up laughing. Jennifer now got it and laughed with them. "You're ok," she said. "I think it's going to be a blast living next door to you people. You'll get along great with my family."

"From the size I'd say, it's horde", quipped Alex.

Laughing Jennifer replied "You got that right. Let's see there's Roxanne, the oldest at sixteen, Albert fifteen, myself thirteen, Simon is eleven, Peter is seven, Mark is five, Charles is four, and Petunia scheduled for October."

"Petunia? What an interesting name, Petunia. Parents lose a bet?" asked Alex.

"Alex! That's not very nice! Apologize right now!" yelled Mom from the other side of the room.

"That's Ok Mrs. Thomason. We just tagged the new addition with the silly name. God knows my parents wouldn't name their child Petunia!"

Putting her hands on her hips Alex's Mom stated, "My Great Aunt on my mother's side through marriage to Uncle Oscar's late nephew's daughter's husband was named Petunia. It is also my middle name, thank you very much!"

Caught between a rock and a hard place, Jennifer profusely apologized for disrespecting the name Petunia. She continued until she spied Alex through the corner of her eye holding in laughter, not very successfully. Stopping in mid sentence she looked directly at Alex who then lost it and burst out laughing, followed by his Dad and Mom.

"Oh come ON!" laughed Alex. In his best impersonation of his Mothers voice said, 'My Great Aunt on my Mother's side through marriage to Uncle Oscar's late nephew, s daughter's husband was named Petunia.' Man oh man, did you fall for that!"

Laughing Mom jumped in, "I'm sorry Jennifer, it was too good to pass up!"

As the deep redness of the blush she started while apologizing faded, Jennifer began laughing also. Not to be left out Dad jumped in. "Jennifer, at least some of us have the proper upbringing in this household to not laugh at your expense." And being the Master that he was, waited several seconds for his words to sink in to Jennifer before he started laughing, which quickly lead to a new round of laughing by all.

As the laughing subsided Jennifer said, "Well I've got to get going. My parents are going to wonder what happened to number 3. Thanks for inviting me in for the water and the entertainment. It was a blast!" She then stood up and began shaking everyone's hand.

Alex stood up to walk her out just as his Dad yelled "Thanks for stopping by, we'll be here all week, try the veal!" Alex didn't know why but that cracked his Mom and Dad up. Parents!

After walking out the screen door Jennifer said to Alex over her shoulder "Your parents are a blast." She continued on with Alex following her. He was thinking that Jennifer had a quick mind, witty personality, she can laugh at herself, and was a fun person to be with.

His thoughts were interrupted when Jennifer asked, "Hey, your Mom mentioned a sister! Where is she? Keeping her in looked up in the closet somewhere?"

"That would be Lisa. She died earlier this year from an accident on a school trip. She would have been thirteen." The words hung out there as Alex fought back the melancholy that would over take him, but he said to himself, no I won't let it get to me, I will not let it bring me down. He was still fighting it when Jennifer pulled him out of his thoughts.

"Alex, I am so sorry. If I had known I wouldn't have said what I did. Please don't be too pissed at me." The last said pleadingly as Jennifer stopped and turned to look at Alex for his reaction.

Alex stopped before running into Jennifer but didn't look at her. Finally, Alex said, "I'm not pissed. It's been six months since she died, and every time I would talk about her, except this time, I would, I don't know, fall into a kind of depression. And yesterday, well you see, my Mom and I had a talk about Lisa and the impact her death had on us. Without going into too much detail, this morning I kinda said to myself, 'Self, cut the shit, this is not how to live, this is NOT how Lisa would have wanted you to live.' So that's what I'm going to do."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.