Proeliator - Cover

Proeliator

Copyright© 2006 by John Wales

Chapter 7

Time Travel Sex Story: Chapter 7 - Vic was born and raised in an odd commune. His father and 'uncles' were planning on surviving WW III. Vic took to the survivalist mentality and learned to fight. When he grew older he was thrilled with the power of explosives and studied chemistry as a way of following this path. A king facing defeat in the forth century Europe needed help. He gathered a few real mages to find a way out of his problems. It was Vic's attributes that were soon being sought.

Caution: This Time Travel Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including mt/Fa   mt/mt   Consensual   Romantic   Magic   Gay   Lesbian   BiSexual   Heterosexual   Time Travel   Historical   Extra Sensory Perception   Incest   Slow  

During the night I had the hot tub drained and then filled once more. There had been a lot of dirt usually at the bottom and I needed a way of rinsing most of the dirt off in a shower before entering the tub. I made do with a basin and some soap to get off the worst of it. I wanted this invention shown in a good light to the Romans.

I had just got settled in the tub when Publia and Mamercus walked by. They had not seen me but appeared to be looking for me anyway.

I waved and said, "Over here."

The morning was cool and humid so the water vapour given off by the tub was dense. The father came first only because he pulled his daughter back. They came and stood by the tub.

Mamercus said, "What is this thing?"

"You Romans have your hot baths and I happen to think it is a great idea. It allows a chance to relax and talk. We Germans are not shy. Men and women are seen naked all the time. Adults relax in the tub and sometimes have to get in to hold the smallest members of our families. I welcome both of you to join me if that is your wish."

Mamercus did the thinking and Publia only waited to see what her father would do. The father said, "I will join you," and after a pause, "Publia may too if she wishes."

While they were undressing I said, "I thought of a good saying. 'Si fueris Romae, Romano vivito more; si fueris alibi, vivito sicut ibi.'" This was the translation for, 'When in Rome do as the Romans do.'

Mamercus thought for a moment and said, "That is a good saying. I have never heard anything like it before."

Plagiarism raised its ugly head but in this case I may have been first.

Publia was in the tub first and we watched each other. She had put her far foot in first so she could display more of herself to me. I gave her a smile and a wink before turning to her father.

Publia said, "This is hot."

"You get used to it. Another good invention is a sauna."

It took a few minutes of small movements until the two were able to sit in the bottom of the tub. I admired the view when I could but tried not to be too obvious. When she finally settled down, her feet touched my leg and never left.

Mamercus said, "What is this sauna?"

I guess he had been listening very well to my words. "You make a room three paces by three out of cedar or any wood that resists water. Benches are put around or stacked like an amphitheatre. These too are made of wood. The room is made very hot. You sit on a towel naked and just wait until the sweat just pours out of you. You get quite clean this way. Another way is to have a pile of hot rocks placed in the room with you. A bucket of water is nearby and you ladle some water onto the rocks. The room is very humid now."

"So you can have a damp or a dry hot room?"

"Yes."

"I make glass and this can be used to admit light while keeping the heat in."

Mamercus said, "I have heard of rich people doing that."

"I have not done so yet but my glass will be so flat that it does not distort the light as it goes through it. The pieces will be eight feet wide and as long as I want."

"I have never heard of that before. How is it done?"

"The gods told me and I have seen this. The process is simple but hundreds of small adjustments have to be done just right. I plan on using this to conquer Rome so I do not want to give it out just yet."

"Conquer Rome; with glass?"

"I will make glass and many iron and steel products. The rich Romans will buy them as fast as I can make them. I will get very rich. With money I will gain power. With power I will change the laws of Rome."

"To end slavery like you mentioned last night?"

"That and more. Rome makes tax money from the provinces. This still has to happen but we can generate much more money internally."

"What does this mean?

"You see all around you my iron and steel. People work hard to find goods that they can trade with me. They also bring gold and silver to pay. I give employment to many and they share my wealth. Some men like Hagen will go out and sell my wares to those that have not seen them before.

"I will buy what I need with my gold and the people that get my gold will buy my products. There are a great many inventions to make yet. One is a very long curved knife. It has a long twisted wooden handle. One man stands and moves his hands in one stoke cuts the stalk supporting the grains of wheat."

Mamercus said, "We have a sickle."

"Yes but it is very slow. Now you can use less people to harvest your crops or the same number doing it very quickly. This is good if you expect rain. This could put men out of work but a wise employer will find other uses for the labour."

I looked over at Publia but she was shorter than her father and only her head and neck were above the water. Her feet though were still caressing my leg.

Mamercus said, "So a farmer could get very rich?"

"Yes. If the laws are made right the farmer will get less rich and the labourers get more of the profit." Mamercus frowned at this and I added, "If the lowly labourer gets silver then he can afford to buy your products. How many poor people would buy my glass and iron products?"

"I can see that in a way."

"There are thousands of thousands of way to make a lot of money. You make the most by making a little at a time but selling a lot." It didn't look like he understood so I said, "Think of it this way. A man wants to build something and this time he wants to use nails in its construction. If I make a machine that makes thousands of nails an hour I can sell the nails much cheaper than what a smith could sell them for. They can be sent to other provinces and cities and the poor smiths will not make any money selling their nails."

Publia excitedly said, "I see that." Her father looked at her and she lowered her eyes and remained quiet.

My story about my dealings with the gods had to take another change and perhaps being closer to the truth would allow me to not be caught in a lie. My story had changed since I was captured then changed agin with the death of an old man. Now might be a better time to knock a few kinks out of the story and make it more believable.

"Sir, this is your business but I have to tell you something I have seen many times."

"What is it?"

"My education is now far more than any other man on this planet. I do not know everything but what I do know goes far beyond everybody else. I have been wrong in my judgement sometimes and had to be reminded by those around me. I do not think of everything. I am intelligent but not a god. It is good to listen to those around us.

"Publia may have a valuable idea that could be explored but it could also be the idle chatter that we all hear. If people are encouraged to talk then valuable ideas could be learned. If the person usually says nothing of value then they will be encouraged to keep their ideas until something valuable is thought of."

Mamercus looked at his daughter and she looked beseechingly at him. "She may speak but as you say she should wait until she has something valuable to add."

Iulius and Sabine walking by and I said to those around me, "Excuse me for a moment." I called out to Iulius, "Over here!"

The man came over and after looking at us said, "Do you wish company?"

"You are an asset to any gathering. Now hand me my daughter."

Iulius removed Sabin's clothing and then handed her to me. She wiggled at the warm water but she became adjusted fairly quickly. I used this excuse to get nearer to Publia.

Sabine said, "Who's that?" as she pointed at Publia.

"I haven't made introductions yet. This man here is Mamercus. This young and pretty lady is Publia his daughter. They came for a visit." I turned to the two Romans and said, "This is Sabine she is one of my prettiest daughters."

Both had heard of how I had taken the slaves in. Mamercus and then Publia gave the child a proper greeting. I had to do the translating.

Iulius got into the tub after trying to find a place he would be more welcome in. We had just finished settling when Elsa came over. She just smiled and removed her clothing and got in. She made it a point to get between Publia and me. Mamercus seemed to enjoy the view until it submerged.

My concentration became difficult because Elsa's hand started to stimulate a dormant organ.

The conversation shifted to what the Alemmani were now doing to make money for themselves and in the process help the rest of us. I used this example as a way of clarifying how we could generate more money in one province.

Sabine started to wiggle and I interrupted the talk to say, "Hold it, Honey." I got up quickly and handed the child to Mamercus. I got out of the tub and took the child to me. I was none too soon as the child just spread her legs and peed.

She looked up at me and said, "All done, Daddy."

I picked her up and held her to me in a hug. "That's good, Honey. Remember though. No peeing in the tub."

"I know, Daddy." Her words though were in German and I assumed that the Romans did not understand.

I handed the child to Iulius but before I got into the tub I said, "It was not long ago that there was a lot of scar tissue on me. Iulius was my physician and he nursed me back to health. You can see little proof of this except my smaller teeth in the front of my mouth, a small sack and a small pink ring where I was cut short."

I moved so they could all see and both of the older girls were very interested in the research.

Publia said, "They really cut it there and then cut the rest off underneath?"

"They were very angry at me, I guess," I said as I got back in the warm water.

Iulius started now on his observations at that time. He had done this many times by now. This was his way of substantiating my claims and helping me with my self appointed task.

The newcomers and even Elsa looked at me when the words were spoken.

Publia said, "The gods really do favour you."

Elsa could not understand Latin but guessed the content of our conversation. "The gods have made Jón a man now and he is going to be a great chief."

Publia said, "I think he will too." All of us looked at her because she had spoken in German.

I said in Latin then in German for Elsa's benefit, "You are much more educated than I thought."

Elsa frowned at this and Publia brightened.

I didn't want Sabine in the water too long and told the others this. I got her out and dried her then got her dressed.

Elsa got out too and presented herself to me and said after handing me a towel stored nearby, "Do my back and hair please. They are hard to reach."

I did the hair as thoroughly as I could then did the back down to the bum but nothing was that erotic.

Publia got out too but her father said, "Publia!" and she had to do her own hair and back. Elsa had a small smile of triumph.

When the two men got out I said, "Mamercus, we have known each other for a short time. If you trust me a little I will suggest a business deal to you."

"What is it?"

I want you to clear more of your land. I am going to build a machine that uses the power of falling water to saw logs into lumber. I know how to build very strong carts with four wheels. We have to make good roads to the mill. I will buy the logs from you and you get cleared land. The cleared land is devoted to grapes and hemp. The hemp grows in many places and is used to make rope and cloth."

"I have heard of that. They grow some of it in Gaul and here too. I know it is grown in other places too. Why do you want it?"

"We need long and strong rope. My first ships will have to rely on sails. The sails will be made of hemp fibre. The male plant provides the fibre and the female plant provides a nutritious seed. If you work hard by investigating a field of hemp you may be able to breed the kind that has both seed and fibre. This is what I am after. I want to make paper."

"Like papyrus?"

"Yes, I can make it many times stronger and very flat. There is even some very fine white clay that can be added to make the paper very good looking."

"What do you want paper for?"

"To take over Rome of course."

"Again?"

"First I put my words on the paper and bind it into a book. I know how to make hundreds of books an hour. The Romans will buy my paper and my books. When they read my ideas they will learn. Some will be in mathematics but others will be ideas that the average person can and should learn."

"What ideas are they?"

"I can have stories that talk of ethics. I can talk of ancient wars and why they were fought and what was really gained. Over the years the people will learn a great deal and think just a bit more like the way I want them to. If you think about it, an orator talks to the uneducated mob in Rome to get them stirred up. I will do this to the educated that know how to read."

"This is interesting. I never thought of it this way before."

"There are ideas I can write, like washing hands that will reduce disease. I talked yesterday with your wife about the needless times a women dies in childbirth. Sometimes it is just a matter of keeping as clean as possible."

"What did she say?"

"She was still worried about the death of her father."

"Yes, there is that. I suppose we have to hurry back."

I said, "A funeral is a way for the living to grieve and then move on with life. I asked if Licinia, Tertius and Iulius could attend the funeral. I do not think it a good idea that I go with them."

Mamercus gave the idea his consideration and said, "It may be good that they come. The Claudii family have lost members in the battles. They would probably come too."

"Would you mediate for me? We do what we have to in war, even if it is not want we want."

"I will try. With my father-in-law now dead, it will be a little easier."

Please stop by to see Licinia. I haven't asked Iulius if he will go in my stead."

The man was listening and said, "I would be glad to. I will at least get away from the duties of a nanny."

"You are an old fraud. I know you love the children. Will you tell Tertius?"

"I will but he likes it here too much."

"Tell him that he can show off his kite and the boys can show their models."

"It will be easier if I tell him that."

The heavily laden former war band left but not before Publia wanted to get me alone. Between her father and Elsa she could only give me a hug and a smile. Iulius rode proudly on his horse and his three packhorses loaded with iron and steel products. Tertius left too but had to bring a cart because he was going to sell many of my goods. He was going to get a commission and this helped me teach the Romans about mathematics.

Hagen was there too and he managed to pry a few more coins from the retreating Romans before they left.

I said, "I didn't thank you for protecting my camp. I am in your debt."

"We Alemmani simply attacked first. I do not think there is any money left among the Romans."

"You are a robber, Hagen, but I still like you."

"I need more knives and tools now."

"Let's go see what's available. Have you thought of designing a knife that... ?"

Hagen got his stock back and a lot more. I had a lot more coins going into my chest.

Elsa hurried matters along and as soon as possible she pulled me aside. We were in my room soon after. I had to see her off properly.

I was sorry to see Hagen and Elsa go but lots of their tribe would be staying.

When I woke up it was darker than usual. I had needed to catch up on my sleep. At least now I could remove some of the toxins in my blood to rid myself of that headache and fatigue.

With no Iulius, I was a foster father again but this was an enjoyable task too. Some of my older daughters were thinking of incest and so was I. I did not need the complications so I restrained myself.

We had found slate and I got it smoothed out fairly well by hand. Chalk had been found because most of norther Germany had been underwater at one time. The boards were not that large but still suitable for my purposes now.

Not all classes were indoors. We went to the forge and I made a blade for a scythe. They had seen pictures on the board. Wood was steamed and bent a portion at a time and we made many handles. Some would be useless but they would learn. The finished products though would make me rich.

Funerals were conducted soon after death. A body deteriorated quickly without some preservatives. It was five days later that they returned but they did so with a lot of others. The Alemmani were off clearing the area I wanted for a dam and a mill and there were few of us.

I had hired some of the Alemmani boys and they sped the warning to us a few minutes before the group arrived.

Iulius was riding in the lead and he looked happy but a little strained. I didn't think he was under coercion but he was not normal either.

I had a chance to dress for battle but my swords were on my back and not in my hands. A belt at my waist held my helmet. Helvius, Curtius, Atrius and Manlius were beside me just outside the gate.

Iulius was not the first. I six men that ranged in age from sixty to mid twenties. They did not look friendly but their weapons were not drawn.

Iulius was driving the cart with Tertius sitting beside him. Iulius said, "Hello, Jón. These men are from the family of Claudii. They came to see you. They didn't believe much of what they had heard."

I said, "Good day to all of you. As you have heard, my name is Jón son of Clovis the King of the Frisians. Will you dismount and we can sit more comfortably and talk?"

The old man said, "Tell me why you killed my son then we may talk."

"I killed an invader to my lands. Now tell me how you would feel if a band of Frisians had attacked your land and you killed many of them?"

The man didn't answer but said, "Why did you kill so many?"

"I killed enough to make a Roman stop. They are brave and it takes a lot of death to make them think. I think if it were Frisians invading that they would all die. I did not do that. I helped the wounded and then made them prisoners of war with rights and not slaves."

"You killed my eldest."

"Your people killed a whole city of Frisians. I killed warriors ready to die for their Augustus. Your men killed women and children. Tell me why your people did this?"

"Flavius had seven children. You killed their father."

"I killed an invader. That is all. You asked questions and I answered them truthfully. If you were a soldier you would know that some have to die. Now answer my questions but get down and look me in the eye. I want to see if you lie."

The man was angry and got off quickly but then had to hold the horse for stability. He must have been on the horse for hours and he was still shaky when he got to me. "Is this close enough?"

"I can see your eyes and you can see mine. Now answer as a Roman father."

This shook him but he pulled himself together and said, "I do not have to answer to a barbarian."

"Because your race is so strong?"

"Yes."

"Then I do not have to answer you any longer. The Frisians are fewer in number but now with their new weapons, they could defeat Rome if they chose to."

"They cannot. We have men beyond counting."

"They are brave, numerous, wise in war craft but now easy to destroy. Don't forget that you are not just fighting the Frisians but the Frisians and their gods. Woden wants to see a change and Roman heads are too hard. The Roman empire has to be punched by a hard fist. It is just too bad that the army has to take the blows. It is still better than putting a city to the sword."

The old man said, "Those events happen in war."

"Tell me, Roman, is it better to kill a warrior that is prepared to die or a child holding her dead mother's hand?"

There was no answer and I waited. Eventually he said in a low voice, "You didn't have to kill him."

In an equally soft voice I said, "I did. He was an invader and would have killed my family. They are as important to me as yours is to you. Now come with me and I will tell you what the gods told to me." I turned and waited then he took a step.

We walked to the display area for our products. I got the old man to sit. I called one of my girls that was on duty. She brought over ceramic mugs and some wine. Without asking she poured a large container for the man and a similar amount for me. I whispered for a meal to be brought here and the new presentation to be started later.

The man took the mug automatically and I took just a sip.

I went into my story starting with the time in coma and progressed slowly from there. Everything I made was attributed to the gods. Even my body was explained though I did not display it.

The rest of the group had come in and listened to my monologue. More wine came out but not too much. Drunk men had poor intellects.

When I finished my reasons for fighting I went on to my diatribe on the faults of Rome. I then went further and said how I would change this if I could. Finally I went through a partial list of my new weapons to sway the way the Romans thought. I pointed out that no Romans would have to die this way.

To hammer home a point I said, "Romans have had to guard the empire because they made the laws. I want everybody in the empire to have a say in how laws are made and used. If that happens, all men will fight for those laws when the invaders come. Romans will not have to fight alone or pay for others to fight for them.

"The gods looked into the future and they showed me some of what will happen if we do not change. Do you wish to hear this?"

Some clamoured for more but I waited on the old man. When he nodded I said, "The Huns are coming our way. They will push the Visigoths into the western empire. They will ask Rome for help and Rome will settle them within their borders. Not long after the Romans and Visigoths will fight. I did not see the cause but it could have been some Roman official wanting too much or the Visigoths wanting too much.

"The Visigoths will fight and go from one end of the Italian peninsula to the other. Rome and every city in Italia will be plundered. They will shelter their horses in villas. Land will be divided up with them getting their share. This lasts a short time until another invader comes and splits the lands up with them getting another share.

"Now there are no large landholdings and no real leadership left. You have barbarians in Rome and the army dispersed. Petty lords crop up everywhere but especially away from Italia. Robbers have no fear of the army now and they stop the trade that is the lifeblood of Rome. The great houses fall one after the other. We enter a Dark Age now. Every man's hand is turned against another. There is no Rome to hold us together. This lasts close to eleven centuries."

I just stopped here, to go on would confuse most of them.

The newcomers now asked questions but I acted physically weak as if the telling of the history had drawn the strength from me. The children came in and plates were put before men and food ladled into them. Again their wine cups were filled but the jugs taken away.

When I stopped to eat the men had a chance to eat as well. I answered part of the questions then ate more. The men could now eat and listen too.

One question gave me a chance to talk about my steel and I drew my blade. I was happy that nobody thought this a threat. I showed how it bent but flexed back again. I shaved a wrought iron sword with no discernable damage to mine.

I took out some knives for carving and picked up some wood put on the floor for this purpose and cut long thin strips. The grain was straight and there were no knots. The question was further answered by me giving out similar knives and wood so the men could try for themselves. It was only a few moments more that the conversation completely shifted to what I was making and then what the tools were good for.

The venue was changed to the forge and the men could see how the steel was shaped. We had a grindstone and it threw sparks. The anvils were large and the men could see a lot of value just in these.

The wood stoves were ready though they were all small in size. They leaked smoke until the chimney started to draw but we didn't have a suitable milling machine to correct this. Though the men had just ate they sampled food cooked in the frypans over the stoves or over the open fire and supported by the grate.

The griddle was large and covered a fire by itself and many strips of meat and vegetables were cooking. The men in our camp liked tours. They got to eat like pigs along with the guests.

One of the older boys was working on a scythe and I was asked, "What kind of weapon is this."

"I will show you how it takes the heads of thousands in one swing." Some of the men backed up but not far. Hands went to swords but none were drawn. I went to a shed and took out one that I had recently tried and then sharpened myself. This I handed to the old man but instructed him in how to carry it. I went back for mine.

We walked outside the camp with a lot of our men grinning. The grass and weeds had been cut back and we had to go further than usual. We stopped at an open area with tall native grasses. "This is your field of wheat. It is early in the morning." I grasped the handles and moved it to get the swing. This particular one was made for somebody my size."

A smooth swing cut all in its path and I walked forward and swung again and again. I went as quick as I could but only made one long cut before I returned.

The men were just looking at the amount of grass I had cut and the time taken. I stopped in front of the old man and said, "Give it a try if you wish. There is no need to push hard but it will tire you out before the day is over."

The man cut his own path instead of following mine then stopped. He backed up and started again beside my path. It took him no longer than me to cut to the end.

When he stood before me, I said, "A good man can cut a heredium per day with this. The women that used to work in the field will simply let the grain dry if you wish or gather it into large bundles with no need to wrap them with cord.

I passed my scythe to a short man and with no words he widened the path already cut. One tall man to get it later had to be told why it didn't work as well for him. He tried the other and smiled.

The tall man asked when he was done, "What is the price of this tool?"

"First I would like to say that the blade is steel, not iron. It takes more effort and time to make these articles. The weapons used for war have a fixed price that will not change. These articles are new. I will sell them for two aurii each but I need people that will talk of this tool to their neighbours. They can try this and honestly mention what they are like. If they do this I will sell them for one aureus each. All others that come will have to pay two."

"I will take ten. Will you take eight aurii?"

"If I sold ten at two aurii I may have some room to move on the price but I must feed the men and children. I will consider trading for copper, brass, bronze, silk, or cotton cloth. I will also trade for labour. I want a building constructed. Men have to use my saws and axes to cut trees and then cut them into boards. It is hard work. Stone has to be cut and shaped to complete this structure."

"What is it for?"

"This building will cut wood with the power of the moving water." They didn't seem to understand this so I said, "The water will turn a wheel. The wheel will turn a large wood log that will make the saw go up and down. The idea is simple but the building will be large."

"Would you trade for labour after harvest?"

"How long after?

"As soon as the crops are in."

"Will they be slaves or freemen?"

"What is the difference?"

"I will feed them. If they run away then I will not be responsible."

"You can lock them in or chain them."

"I can but I will not. I do not like slavery but I know that it takes time to switch over to paying freemen to do the same work."

I got gold from this man. Others from the same family, but from different estates traded for metal. Nobody had silk to trade. I remembered my own bolt back in Hildestun but that was far away.

It was a profitable day. Each agreement that required trade was recorded and both of us got a copy. They would deliver to Licinia estate for me. They took the units now and I had to show them how they could come apart for easy transportation. They were also showed how to sharpen them with a small hammer and dolly block. A stone then could be used if necessary but usually wasn't.

With harvest only a few weeks away we switched over to scythes almost completely. The copula had to get less air and thus be cooler with a reducing atmosphere to get iron. I could have Licinia sell these tools but that was a distraction and if they came here they would buy a great many other products.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.