Red River Ranch - Cover

Red River Ranch

by Sasha Distan

Copyright© 2006 by Sasha Distan

Western Sex Story: The history and meeting of Shyland and Logan, two boys sharing un common ground and strange desires for each other.

Caution: This Western Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including mt/mt   Consensual   Romantic   Gay   First   Slow   .

Logan Reinar was not what most people would call handsome. Good looking, fair, but nothing to write home about. He had a kind of tightness in his mouth whenever he spoke, as though he was always holding back from saying something that he really wanted to. Considering how little he spoke, that might have been true. He was raised on a ranch, in just the same way his father had been. His parents didn't own Red River, they were ranch hands, and his mother drove to the local supermarket every day to work. They lived in a little cabin about a mile from the actual ranch house and Mister Reinar always joked that his son had been born in the saddle.

It was a strange way to be brought up, with practically nothing and nobody when in the nearest city there were glass and sky skyscrapers and almost everyone in town had their own computer or laptop or satellite phone. The age of technology though, hadn't really reached Red River. It didn't seem to bother Logan. He didn't read much, didn't study much, and after his sixteenth birthday he quit high school permanently to work on the ranch. Started to go out with his father in the summers to heard the sheep.

The summer that Logan was nineteen was the summer that Shyland Denna came around looking for work and he was hired and was put up in a little tent just past the Reinar's cabin. He kept mostly to himself and cooked beans and soup on a griddle over his campfire. Shyland had been raised the son of a well-to-do professional lawyer from Kansas City, his mother a stay-at-home-and-gossip. He'd taken his high school exams and run away, not wanting to stay, go to collage and graduate to become just like his father. He'd stopped off at a western outfitters as soon as he'd gotten into Canada and had walked out looking just the part. Traded in his car for a broken looking pick up and turned up at Red River Ranch just two weeks later looking like he'd been born out there. He was a handsome sort of fellow, dark hair, dark eyes, olive skin, as though something in his past had been Spanish or Mexican. His face looked open and friendly enough but the flicker in his eyes gave him a wary look. His hair was curly, growing out of the army style short back and sides it had been when he'd first arrived. He kept his head down and hid himself behind the brim of his hat.

The two boys got paired up a lot and it didn't take Logan long to work out that Shy was pretending to know what was going on and was only just getting by on it. His work wasn't brilliant, he didn't know how to shear sheep, or catch them and the grin on his face when he actually managed to mount the dark gelding was enough to let Logan know that the boy hadn't been expecting to stay on. Logan didn't say anything when he caught Shy watching him do things, but he always made sure that he went slow at first, letting the other boy take a long look at what he was doing so that he could copy. Riding, thankfully, seemed to come to Shyland quite naturally.

They'd been sent to fetch in the cattle. It was a big ranch and there was much to do on the tail end of the summer and it was work enough for two boys on horses to go out into the fields and try to persuade the cows to come into the big barn for the night. The whole lot needed branding and vaccinations in the next few days. They spilt a bag of feed between them and rode out, Shyland comfortable now in his dark grey gelding, Logan very much at ease on his big tan stallion Eagle. Logan was chewing on a strip of dry beef when they got there and stood up in the saddle to stretch his legs. The denim of his jeans creaked, he'd basically been wearing them all summer. He smoothed his fingers on his chaps and looked across at his companion. Shyland slouched in the saddle, leaving too much slack in the reins to move of quickly without getting thrown. Logan shook the fed in the bag at the nearest heifer and slowly began to gain the herds attention. He slipped a rope through the ring in the bulls nose and handed the rope to Shy while he did the same with the collar around the head heifers neck. Her bell jangled and she gave a low groan and began to walk. With the important members of the herd under their control the rest began to follow as Shyland and Logan turned and began to ride back toward the ranch.

"The fair's come to town," Logan spoke in his low drawl, "It's kinda expensive and not that good, but a bunch of people go and hang around down there, just for an excuse. I was gonna head on into town after dinner. You are welcome to come along if you want."

Shyland clicked his tongue to the horse and tightened his grip on the bull rope.

"You know," he spoke wistfully, his voice light, friendly, "that's the most I've heard you say all summer. Yeah, I'll come with."

"Al'right."

Shyland looked sideways at the slightly older boy, so easy looking and silent on his horse.

"You know that I'm not really a ranch hand don't you?"

"Yup."

"And you know I never rode before I got here."

"Yup."

"And you didn't tell anyone."

"No."

"Why?"

"No need. Why let them throw you out before you proved yourself?" Logan grunted and dug in his heels to stop the stallion dragging his feet, "I like you Shy, you don't get in the way."

The city boy wasn't sure how to take that and so left it hanging in the warm air between them while they drove the cattle home in almost silence. The cows shuffled around in their barn, the big bull in his separate pen for the night. The boys threw hay and feed in for them, made sure there was plenty of water and took the horses in. It was the only problem with riding everywhere, when you were done for the day, before you could go anywhere or clean off, you had a horse to feed, water, groom and bed down for the night. When Shyland had first started it had taken him forever to find everything and get the job done. He was faster now, though not nearly as quick and competent as Logan, who knew exactly where everything was, just how to behave around his horse, and got Eagle combed down and settled in record time. He left the stables without another word and walked back to the cabin.

It was more than an hour later when Shyland knocked for him, dressed in a new shirt and jeans, boots hurriedly cleaned, belt buckle gleaming. He smelt faintly of hay, but mostly of well washed fabric and saddle soap. Which was all he had found to polish his boots with. Logan had showered, but even clean he smelt of horses, denim, leather, sheep and pony nuts. It was ingrained into his skin, his personality. Shyland smiled nervously and Logan simply grabbed his sheepskin coat and his hat, heels clicking on the wooden floor as he closed the door behind him, keys in hand.

It was cold in the broken down Honda pick up, a vehicle that had apparently been cherry red a long time ago but was now a kind of sand and mud colour. Shyland held out his hands in front of the heater for a few minutes before realising it didn't work then sat back, feeling foolish. Logan reached across his lap without a word, making him flinch, and flipped open the glove compartment, pulling out a pair of brown leather gloves and handing them to him, all while driving on the ranch road, nothing more than a dirt track going to join the nearest main road. They parked behind the small supermarket, Logan burying his hands in his jeans pockets, hat pulled low over his eyes, and walked around the square grey building into town. It wasn't a very big town, or very special, and the fair that had set up in the large field after the main road ended after the chemists was neither big nor special. But everyone in town and the surrounding area under forty was there. Young couples with small children, ranch kids and the teenagers from town. A group of twenty-something men checking out every skirt that walked by.

To Shy, brought up on cinemas, night clubs and bars he was too young to get into, the fair was very small, the rides were flashy but out of date, the prizes jaded. There was a bucking bronco thing which Logan sneered at disdainfully before going off to go and stand against a long wooden fence at the edge of the circle of light. There were a dozen or so others there, people their age, drawn by the fair, but too old to actually enjoy it as they may have done a few years previously, those who came for the excuse and the company, not the rides. A few of them seemed to recognise Logan, some with smiles, some with sneers, and Shyland stuck a few paces behind him, not wanting to be abandoned. But the two of them stuck mostly to themselves, not really talking to anyone. Logan lit up a cigarette and offered one to shy, who didn't really smoke but took it anyway, letting himself lean forward as Logan's work worn hands cupped the flame for him, a tiny moment of intimacy before the match went out. After that they traded cigarette back and forth until it got late, and Logan announced that he was going home. Shy skittered like a fawn and followed him.

They drove back in the dark in silence, Shyland rubbing his fingers in the leathers gloves, the scent of smoke weaving around him and making him happy. Logan's smoke, Logan's gloves. It was plainly obvious to the younger boy what was going on inside himself. He swore silently, chastising himself, and shrugged down deeper into his seat. The evening had turned hard and cold in the dark, away from the fairground lights, and by the time the pair got back to the ranch, Shyland could see his own breath fogging up the air in the pick up. If he wanted an offer of shelter, he didn't get it, Logan gave him a curt goodnight before turning away, leaving him to walk the five hundred yards to his tent in the dark.

Shyland stumbled into his little tent fully dressed, and sat down in the chill canvas floor to pull off his boots and belt before getting into his sleeping bag and wrapping himself in blankets. The tent was old, just a single layer of hard worn canvas and metal poles. Shy belated pulled off his hat, set it aside and watched his breath cloud in front of him before he pulled the blankets over his head and settled down to simply shivering.

Over the next week the temperature plummeted. Logan rode up to the men in the hills with the sheep herds and told them all to come down, there was a storm on its way. Four of the summer workers left for new places and Bill, the oldest of all the ranch hands, and Mister Rivers oldest friend, died when the big bull accidentally kicked him in the head as he bent down to pick something off the floor. Missus Rivers asked Shyland if he wanted to stay on over the winter, now that they were a man down permanently, and said he'd need to look into finding somewhere to stay.

 
There is more of this story...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.