Iptomas - Cover

Iptomas

Copyright© 2006 by Cylis Derrens

Chapter 6

Aphrodite arrived soon afterwards just as Iptomas had predicted.

"Greetings my sweet." Aphrodite said kissing him as she wrapped her arms around his neck. Iptomas could feel the heat of her body as she pressed against him.

When the kiss finally ended Iptomas said, "Would the lady care to sit down for a meal I have prepared for her?"

Aphrodite smiled at him replying, "I would love to noble Iptomas. You are a fine cook and I enjoyed your past dishes greatly."

Offering his hand Iptomas waited for her to take it and he led the way to a table inside which was already covered with food that had just been finished. Iptomas had planned on her regular visit and had chosen her favorite dishes. It had taken some time to find a wild boar for it was hunting season but Iptomas had managed to kill one.

There were still plenty left but most were well hidden from their hunters. They spent the rest of the day together and Aphrodite left in the late evening.

At that moment Iptomas' life was peaceful and good. Unfortunately he foresaw that this would not last. A war was brewing on the horizon and it threatened all. Calling to Fedora she arrived before him.

"You have looked into the future and seen the coming war. It is a war you well know, and learned of in the history books." Fedora said, "The one of one city standing against the full might of Greece."

"The battle of Troy!" Iptomas said in a whisper.

Iptomas did not like this at all. The people of Ipto were dear to him. The idea of any of them dieing or joining in that foolish war was disappointing to say the least. Iptomas had to wait until war broke out before he could say anything.

With the kidnapping of Helen, Agamemnon King of Greece, called for the help of the other cities and kings in rescuing her. Iptomas sent many of the young warriors who prepared to join the King of Greece visions of the future.

He was saddened to note that this did not deter them from their course. Iptomas could only see that they would die and in a foolish struggle. What he did not see was how it would affect Ipto. As the other gods fought their war with mortals as pieces on a board a change came over the people of Ipto.

They realized that the other gods involved in starting the war did not care for them. Only Iptomas and later Fedora who guided them home safely did. The rest who had brought them there were petty and cruel. For her part in it Aphrodite had lost favor with Iptomas.

Many Iptonian warriors died in that horrible war before its end. Iptomas would never forget them having seen many of them grow up as they played in his gardens. Now many sons would not return home. Demeter did her best to comfort the mourning Iptomas as he withdrew from public life. The people of Ipto grew closer to their god listening as he sought to aid them in their future endeavors and protected them.

It was during this time that Asiris who had led the Iptonian warriors home sought out the god he had ignored. Standing before his temple he expected admonishment for his part in his fellows' deaths.

What Asiris received instead surprised him. Appearing before him from nowhere Iptomas stepped forward and embraced the young man, holding him as if he were his son. Asiris closed his eyes breathing a sigh of relief as tears ran down his cheeks.

"Teach me your wisdom my lord. I am your humble servant." Asiris said humbly.

"No Asiris you will be much more than that. Troy will not be the end of all wars. Others will come and this city is becoming too large not to need a king. You will be their new monarch. In obeying Fedora you proved your worth and brought your people safely home. I thank you for that." Iptomas said kindly.

Asiris could not believe it.

"But I am the cause..." Asiris began.

Holding Asiris at arms length Iptomas said, "You did what you believed was right. I require no less of you, but perhaps next time when I go through all the trouble of showing you something then perhaps you will listen."

It was a light admonishment and Asiris did not even bother arguing. Iptomas was right. All had unfolded just as he said it would.

Asiris and Iptomas stayed together as student and master. For two years Asiris lived in the temple with Iptomas standing in his presence and hearing his words in person. When he was ready Iptomas announced him as King of Ipto.

A change followed soon afterwards that caused Iptomas alarm. His visions of the future became clouded and vital details left missing. Something was waiting on the horizon and it had an ominous feel to it.

Iptomas feared for his people and his family. Something was coming that would threaten all and he could not see. He knew it was there but every time he tried to hold it in his mind it slipped away illusive and without form.

This future haunted and not even Fedora could help him.

"It is a future you are not meant to know. Just as it is with mortals there are certain parts of our destiny that must remain hidden from us." Fedora said.

"But you can see it." Iptomas stated.

Fedora nodded saying, "Yes, I can. But I will not be the deciding factor. You will make a fateful decision that will decide the fate of all of us. I must not intervene even a little."

A vision came to him all too suddenly. A Spartan army marched against Ipto. Menelaus brother of the now late Agamemnon who was killed by his wife led the army.

Since his brother's death King Menelaus had been busy with uniting most of Greece under his rule few had resisted and Ipto was one of them. Iptomas suspected their patron god Ares had something to do with it.

Going to Asiris Iptomas warned him of the danger bestowing upon him a smaller replica of the armor he had used to fight Zeus. It would help protect him against a superior enemy. In recent years great walls not unlike Troy's surrounded the city of Ipto. The Spartans would have to lay siege to the city which gave the defenders the advantage.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.