Cathy Douglas - Cover

Cathy Douglas

Copyright© 2006 by Wandering Lanes

Chapter 5

Chris Henderson

The Leader was worried. He was hoping that this ... this bastard, Chris Henderson, had failed, with the men he'd been given — the most fractious and annoying ones - it was a forgone conclusion that he would! But then things went wrong, well as far as the Leader was concerned, Chris not only trained the men to work together! They had also successfully completed a bank robbery — with the minimum fuss possible!

This was unheard of in the Association and what was worse it undermined the reputation that The Leader had cultivated — He was all powerful and all knowing! - Everything went to pot when that kid was brought in, how was he to know she would turn things upside down, not only did she show him up, she also showed him something that the previous leader tried to show him before he was shot.

The Leader tried not to shiver as he recalled the landscape she had shown him, her words about someone being a true leader of the Association — saying that he should have tried to help that person? As if he should lower himself to anyone.

Then she had taken the two kids - that the Association had taken to use as practice dummies for the kidnapping — not only did she heal them of their injuries, she used her powers to inflict the same pain into those who had dealt them, but for him she unfairly gave him all the children's pain!

He wanted to kill that kid! But she vanished, along with the two others, and was now in the Organisation's protection.

Then this brat Henderson demanded to see him, as if he was someone important! He sent two men off to teach the brat a lesson, only for them to arrive at the base with the brat — they learnt not to do what they want, but only briefly! — But this ... The Leader felt a headache coming on as he dwelt on it ... boy not only demanded to prove himself; he had!

The bank robbery was done with such precision that it was almost text-book, nobody was hurt and the gang took all the money. None of which The Leader saw, which was against the protocols of The Association, any action taken meant a part was given to the Leader as his right!

He had tried to contact his man in Chris's camp, Grogan, but was refused! The implied insult didn't escape The Leader's notice. He didn't push but thumped a number on his phone.

"Assemble a squad! I want both Henderson and Grogan brought here! IN CHAINS IF NECESSARY!" He almost screamed into the phone.


In their safe house, Chris and Grogan were making more plans.

"I don't think this is wise boss." Grogan was saying

Chris nodded, "I know, but we're going to have to force him some time or later, I'd rather do it when I'm ready rather than for him to do something out of the blue, let the others know we're expecting trouble and to be alert." Chris said and then pulled out the vault plans for the next bank raid.

While they were looking over them Chris was waiting for the attack he knew was coming, after Grogan's refusal to talk to The Leader it was obvious that the attack was getting closer.

A man called down that a large van had just pulled up outside, the man in charge had gotten out. "Hey boss, its Shaun, you know the one that took the bird who fouled things up with the kidnapping."

Chris smiled, "Did he, well that's interesting, okay then get Smiler to open the door for them, the special entrance if you follow me?" He said

The man nodded, "Okay boss, we've got the pens set up already!" He said.

Chris turned on a receiver, the microphones were placed outside and enabled the people in the house to hear what was going on outside.

Shaun was giving a briefing. " ... to get the Henderson kid and that Grogan, if the saps inside put up any resistance ... well they better not!" He said which to Chris wasn't much of a briefing.

The men made their way to the door and pounded on it. "Open up! Leader's orders!" Shaun said as if this was some form of command.

Bill Smithers, called Smiler by everyone as he was small and kept grinning, opened the door part way, he saw the group and started to close it again, but a ham-like paw forced it open!

The men trooped in ignoring Bill's cries of stop and then they found themselves herded into a narrow area, almost enough room for one at a time. "Hey what's the hold up? Someone sort this crap out and grab those two!" Shaun was saying from near the back.

A man near the front tried to turn, "But boss..." He started to say but the sound of a gun being cocked made everyone look up.

Above the trapped men the rest of Chris's team were pointing assault rifles at them. "Gentlemen I would suggest that you put any weapons you have down and raise your hands where we can see them!" Chris called down from his position.

Shaun looked up at his captor, "What the fuck are you doing Henderson? The Leader sent me to pick you up!" He said which made the men on Chris's team laugh.

"And so you decided to bring your friends along so that you were brave enough to come here!" Grogan said sarcastically.

"Now Mr. Grogan, that's not fair of you, I'm sure that this gentleman will be happy to return to the Leader with us, won't you?" Chris said.

Shaun looked around at the people holding their guns at him, "Y ... yes ... yes of course, an ... anything you say." He said while thinking that when his men got him into the van then this Henderson would be helpless.

Chris smiled, he knew what was going through Shaun's head, "That's good, and you don't mind if my people come with us, do you?" He asked.

"But ... how will ... I mean there's not enough room... ?" Shaun said confused.

Chris made a show of considering this, "Yes, I see what you mean, well that's easy to sort out. Since your men are not welcomed here I'm sure they'll be happy to walk back?" He said "But of course it's not fair to just do that to them, so I'll ask you to remove your shoes and socks and throw them into the space ahead of you."

The men with Shaun started to grumble but another click of a gun being cocked silenced that, "I'm sorry gentlemen but I have to insist, you see since we're taking your transport and we don't want you following us it's the least we can do. Anyway I'm sure your feet could do with the fresh air. Now I don't want to repeat myself, I'm sure my friends here could tell you that I prefer my orders carried out!" He said.

After a few seconds the cowed men started to remove their footwear. The narrow pens were opened as was the door to the outside where they were herded out and told to 'go away!' only not so politely.

The only person of the group left was Shaun. He was brought in front of Chris who smiled at him, "So what does the Leader require of me?" He asked.

Shaun was so flustered at the loss of his backup and could only say, "Huh?"

Grogan shook his head, "The boss wants to know what the leader wants!" He translated.

Shaun was shaking, this wasn't what he planned, "I ... I donno? He was angry 'cause you did a bank job without telling him!" He said knowing his life was in the balance if Chris didn't like the answers.

Chris sighed, "Oh is that all! Well then I can't see why we shouldn't see him, can you Grogan?" He said and then handed Shaun the keys to the van. "Alright, come along you're driving us!" He said.

When they got to the van Shaun was surprised that more of Chris's team was getting in with them. None of them had visible arms, but he knew they were dangerous. "Wh... "Wha ... what are you going to do?" He asked nervously.

"Relax Shaun, you left base with a number of men, and now you're returning with me and a number of men, that's all." Chris said pleasantly.

The ride back was quiet and Shaun could see the men watching him, a couple drew their thumbs across their throats in warning.


When the van arrived the guard at the gate took no notice of who was driving, but just waved them through, it was the same when they parked! Chris shook his head at the laxity.

As the group walked through the corridors of the base Shaun didn't notice a few of the people exchange glances with Chris and nod their heads. Chris however did and signalled to them to keep quiet at the moment.

Shaun brought Chris to the Leader's chambers and knocked on the door, but before anyone could answer Chris opened them and walked in.

"How dare you enter here without permission?" The Leader said imperiously.

But Chris wasn't fazed by it, "Oh, I'm sorry, I was told that you wanted to see me urgently! In fact it was so urgent that you sent a team to make sure I arrived! ... It seems I was misinformed so I'll go!" He said and turned around.

"No! Wait!" The Leader said feeling he was losing ground from the start. "I'll see you in 5 minutes!" He added mentally that he'd delay Chris for at least an hour!

Chris considered this, making a show of checking his watch, "Very well, I'll return here in 5 minutes!" As if acceding to The Leader's request.

But they didn't leave the door or corridor; they remained outside while Chris checked his watch. After 5 minutes Chris tried the door, it was locked! He smiled, "ANDREWS!" He called out.

Archie Andrews — much mocked because of his name (associated with a radio ventriloquist dummy of the '50s) — was an expert in locks; many a door that was securely sealed had been quickly opened - without damaged - thanks to him. Bending down he examined the lock and, chuckling slightly, he removed his small bag of tools, picked out two items and started working.

A small 'snick' and Archie turned the handle, opening the door. "Thank you Archie. Mr. Grogan if you would care to join me?" Chris said as his men stood outside as guards.

The Leader was dozing on his throne like chair as Chris and Grogan entered and so Chris gave a small cough. The Leader opened his eyes and for a moment was disorientated. "What ... who... YOU! What are you doing here?" He said as his eyes focused on Chris.

"Really? I think you forgot that you told us to attend to you at this time, honestly Leader if this is how you work then it's not surprising..." Chris left the remainder of his words hang in the air, "Now I understand you called me here for a progress report as to my team?" Chris said keeping the initiative.

"Err ... uhm ... I mean yes, of course, just let me get my advisors..." The Leader said surreptitiously pressing his alarm button, not knowing that they would be denied access.

"I don't think so Leader," Chris said, "This report is for your ears only. You don't want them to find out your secret do you Carl?" Chris said.

The Leader moved back in his throne, "How did you hear that name?" He asked shocked.

Chris shrugged, "It's just a name, like any other, what about this one, Marc Wilson? Or this one Sandra McIlvy, I know about them and, should anything happen to me, I have files ready to distribute around The Association."

"You wouldn't dare!" The Leader protested.

"Not at the moment, now shall we carry on with the report?" Chris said knowing he was now in control.

"Yes ... yes of course. Now where is my part of the loot?" The Leader demanded.

"Your part? What do you mean?" Chris asked sounding puzzled.

"Any Association action requires a tithe to be paid to the Leader of the Association. All the commanders know this!" The Leader said smiling.

Chris was also smiling, "Really, that must have passed me by, but then I'm not really one of your commanders am I? You let me have a bunch of men that were the worse of your people, I've moulded them into a team, and also they will obey me instead of you! Now what my team does is purely our affair, if the Association wants to use them in tasks then I will consider it. The 'loot' as you put it has been put to good use, improved equipment and knowledge, the files taken from the first robbery have links to banks elsewhere in London, which was why the computer disks were copied and wiped so that they don't think we have anything. Other files allowed us to access foreign accounts which we can siphon to our own accounts.

"With the information we've gained we'll be able to gain access to other financial institutions, soon we'll be able to take over..." Chris was saying.

"Enough! Information doesn't fill coffers! I need cash not promises!" The Leader said not understanding anything.

Chris shook his head, "I said it before, you think small and so the Association works are small, I however think big, which is why my team follow me. Now since you are not interested in my plans for the Association then I'll return to my base and carry on. Come on Grogan." Chris said turning to leave the room.

"Wait! There is something you can do." The Leader said "It's something that kidnapped brat said, about some person supposed to know what is happening in some strange place ... dreamtime?"

Chris though for a moment, "I remember something that I read about ... Bemalin that was his name and Cathy ... AARRRRGGGHHHH!" A stabbing pain went through Chris's mind everything he had learnt seemed to run through his mind and around it, he could see what to do! How to do it! And nothing, NOTHING, was going to stop him."

Grogan didn't understand what was happening, but he took hold of Chris's hands and pulled him out of the room. "I don't know what you did Leader, but you're going to regret it." He said as he took Chris away.

"Hold on boss, we'll get you safe." Grogan said but Chris didn't answer, he was unconscious!


The sound of footsteps on the sand made the Aboriginal boy look up the stranger with a hooded cloak was standing there, looking at the vacuum cleaner.

"You's no want to mess with that boy! There's bad magic inside there!" The aborigine said.

"Only the unknown is bad magic, but that's just a man, changed by his duty!" The stranger said kicking the body of the cleaner which gave a sullen 'clang'.

"You, you out there let me out or I will... " A voice from inside the cleaner said.

The stranger laughed, "The great Bemalin! Trapped by a girl!" He said.

"That wasn't a girl, it was a dǽmon clothed as a child! She wanted to mislead me!" Bemalin said from his confining tomb.

"She was a child! Barely a female and she beat you at your own game!" The stranger replied.

"A GIRL? A GIRL DID THIS TO ME! I WILL HAVE MY REVENGE!" Bemalin said angrily.

"You will do no such thing! She is under the protection of the Organisation, and thanks to you she is free on the outside, you failed in your task to the Association, I've a good mind to leave you there ... but that would mean the balance is tilted to their side! What do you offer me to release you?" The stranger demanded.

"Offer? OFFER? I'm Bemalin I demand things not you puny mortals! I've seen ages of the Association rise up only to fail!" Bemalin said.

"Yes, it fails because its leaders have no back-bones, they try things and do not have the plans to continue, they are just satisfied by single victories when they could have gone for the war! These are the ones you advise and direct!" The stranger was derisory about Bemalin's achievements.

"Well a true leader has not yet arisen, it needs the right man, all I can do is to try to show them how they should lead, if they fail then I punish them!" Bemalin said, but uncertainty is in his tone.

"So what can you offer me O djinn of the vacuum cleaner?"

"YOU MOCK ME! YOU MOCK BEMALIN!" Bemalin was really angry now!

"YES! I'm not the one stuck in there! You know your stories; djinns gave the people who had control over their prisons three wishes! I want only one!" Was the unexpected answer. Bemalin was quiet for a few moments. "Well if you're not going to agree then I'll have to report back and tell them that you're lost forever!" The stranger turned.

"Wait! What is it you want?" Bemalin asked, after all he could just ignore the request once he was free.

"I need your support!" Came the surprising answer.

"Just that? No request for women, nothing about riches? What kind of man are you?" Bemalin asked bemused.

"The kind that knows you'd break your word once it's given! A man who is able to plan ahead and to know how to maintain those plans. The man you should be backing!" The stranger said.

Bemalin thought again, it was a tempting offer, after all, what did he have to do? Just say this man is the one for me? Who would it hurt? And he'd be free of this confining space. "Very well, I agree!" He said.

"By what do you swear to keep your word?" The stranger asked.

"By the grave of my mother!" Bemalin said smiling to himself.

"Your mother gave you up after you were born! It was the Englishman who took you in and that's when your apprenticeship to the Order was started. I want something that you truly believe in!" The stranger said.

Bemalin swore, it was a good try but this person was wiser than most people, "Very well, I swear by the holy grail of Christ, I will support you!" He said feeling a sensation through his body and spreading out to the surrounding area.

"That I will accept. Prepare yourself!" The stranger said and then a golden fiery blade was in his hands, a blade that split the vacuum cleaner in half.

Bemalin sprawled to the ground, whole and unharmed. "You have saved me, I am your servant!" He said although the words were like sand in his throat.

"No, you're not, but you want me to think that! I expect you to carry on as normal and to keep your word, which I know is not normal for you!" He smiled, "I hope this is the start of a long Association, one which will sweep over the known and unknown world!"

The stranger started to fade, "Wait! How will I know when to support you?" Bemalin asked.

"I will call you! ... My name is Christopher Henderson!" Chris said as he removed the hood from his cloak and faded from the dreamtime land.


Chris awoke, his head was splitting! He went to touch his head and was rewarded by Grogan's voice.

"Hey boss, you're awake! Boy, were we worried about you!" Chris concentrated on the man, he knew him and everything about him and it was everything from his childhood to today, Grogan was the one who took him from the Association's base over five days ago ... Chris gasped.

"5 days! I've been unconscious for 5 days!" He said struggling to get up.

"Hey, hey boss, don't move the doc has a whole lot of stuff plugged into you, you're supposed to stay here until you're better." Grogan said concerned.

"Grogan I've been asleep for 5 days, I feel relaxed and ready to get up, now either you help me or I'll get up without you." Chris said taking a sensor from his chest which made a machine start to bleep.

A man rushed in wearing a grey coat, it would have been white but he couldn't afford to have it washed. "Now what have you done?" He said accusingly.

Chris looked at the man and suddenly he knew about him, "Doctor Hepplewhite, I'm awake and conscious now, I don't need all this holding me back, now release me or I'll make your life even worse than Mrs. Clark did!" He said hearing the doctor gasp in surprise.

The doctor quickly removed all the tubes and sensors-pads attached to Chris, "I'm sorry sir, please don't tell anyone." He pleaded.

Chris smiled, "It's alright doctor, I'm sure your skills will be needed again, why don't you close your practise and work for us, the wages are a lot better than those addicts can afford." He said.

Hepplewhite shook his head, "I can't they need me to help them, where else can they get needles that are almost clean, I can't let them down!" He said feeling slightly trapped.

Chris smiled, "That's alright Doctor, Grogan will pay you your fee, and we'll take you back to your practise. I'm sorry you've been put out so much with me, but if we need your services again... ?" Chris said nodding to Grogan.

Hepplewhite nodded, "Of course, anytime, anytime." He said as Grogan began counting out some bills for the Doctor. Then he shrugged and put the whole amount into the doctor's hands. Hepplewhite glanced at the size of the pile and then when white. "The ... there's been some mistake surely?" He said.

Chris looked concerned, "Not enough? Well I'm sure..." He began.

Hepplewhite shook his head, "No, it's not that ... this is more than I expected." He protested.

Chris nodded, "We pay for people's services doctor, and we're not like those you're used to!" He said.

Grogan turned to another person standing outside. "Jack, take the doc back to where you picked him up, let him have a mobile just in case we need him again." He said, he was planning to keep Hepplewhite on retainer for future help.

Hepplewhite was now shaken, "You mean it? You're not going to steal it away from me? I mean the last time one of you..." He shook physically now.

Grogan steadied him, "Doc, this is a new player; he's got his head on straight." He said and then turned Hepplewhite away to be escorted by Jack to the car.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.