Cathy Douglas - Cover

Cathy Douglas

Copyright© 2006 by Wandering Lanes

Chapter 1

Cathy Douglas

Cathy surveyed her troops; all 23 were watching her and listening intently as she outlined her plan on the display screen. "Our target is this mound here! We have to take out their outlying sentries and take the target item. That is the main objective; the secondary one is to protect our base from them, which will be Charlotte's group's objective. I know it doesn't sound nice, just acting as guards but you're playing an important role. The enemy will be attacking you while we are after them, should they succeed don't waste your lives trying to fight against them, use whatever cover you can to use as guerrilla troops, harry them and wait for the rest of us to return.

The second group, those under Kat!" Cathy said waiting for the now familiar cry of 'That's Kathy!' "Whatever! You will be a buffer taking out enemy troops as they make their way to our Head Quarters, keep yourselves hidden as I want us to survive this in one piece. Don't put yourselves in jeopardy or do anything rash, you know how to fight this, and I don't need hero's here, just live people!

The third group, those with Sharon in charge! You will be in the most danger. You will make a lot of noise approaching the target! Try to keep undercover as much as possible, it's important that you keep them busy and try to take out as many of possible, you are providing my group with the distraction, I hope they'll be too concerned with your group to worry about anyone else.

My group, you have the hardest task of all, we have to creep into the enemy camp, hopefully unseen, capture the target object, and we take it, and return to our HQ, ensuring that the enemy doesn't see us, or if they do then we eliminate them! Should the holder fall then the next in command must take it up, protect that person at all times! Any questions?" She said seeing all the heads shaking. "Good, now line up behind your leaders and then move out."

With a cry the twelve and thirteen year old girls shuffled into position, checking their guns for ammunition and that their goggles were on, then they left the tent to make their way to the mound that was their Headquarters and the Yellow flag that was waving above it. In the distance — about a quarter of a mile away — the enemy's Blue flag was visible and so were the group. She squinted but couldn't make out Christopher who was the captain of the enemy, but she knew he was trying his best to rally his troops as well.

The sound of a bugle alerted both groups that the attack was under way. Cathy noticed how Charlotte's group seemed to mingle into the undergrowth; she nodded in appreciation of their expertise. "Move out." She said into her microphone knowing her voice would be heard in the headsets of her troops.

Mid-way down the battle-field Kathy made a hand signal and her group of 5 also vanished from sight — the fabric of their jump-suits helping by changing texture to reflect the surroundings, chameleon suits, made by the Organisation's Research and Developments group — Cathy looked at Sharon, like her the three years since they had first met had changed her, she had blossomed into a beautiful woman, the training they had both taken meant that she was fit, and even after the short distance they had run, she wasn't breathing hard 'Su would be proud of her!' Cathy thought and then nodded to her friend before she turned away to take her group into the undergrowth.

Sharon's people started to make a noise as they got closer to the enemy's mound, a group of people suddenly stood up and took aim with their guns, but before they could fire they were hit by Yellow paint, meaning they were out of the contest. "4 down on their side, no damage!" Sharon's voice came over the communication's link.

That took Chris's team down to 20! But she knew that the odds would soon change. Cathy was determined that the bill wouldn't be too severe. She studied the defences around the enemy's flag, 10 people — almost half his troops! He must have sent the other 10 to capture her flag. "Kathy, Charlotte, be aware you have 10 on their way, do what you can, we'll be with you as soon as possible." She reported into her microphone.

She looked to her troop, pointing to one girl and then at two targets, another girl and another two targets until all knew who was responsible for whom. The girls fanned out and took aim carefully. "Now!" She said and five shots sounded as 5 of the enemy were struck by paint. One looked around and took aim only to be shouted at by the marshal acting as judge.

"Oi! You! You're dead! Now get your ass out of there and don't forget to keep your gun and hand up!" The person was told.

Grumbling the youth did as he was told. But he had been the distraction that Cathy needed and the order wasn't needed as her team took out the other enemy troops. "Donna, go ahead and get the flag!" Cathy said.

The young girl smiled at the others and quickly made her way to the flag, she was about to pick it up when a blue splash appeared on her suit. "Shit!" Donna said and then she raised her gun in one hand and then her other to show she was not fighting.

Cathy looked around to see where the shot had come from - a movement a few hundred yards away was seen, she took aim and fired her gun twice. There was a groan from the sniper as the yellow paint showed up on his suit. He got up and raising his hands moved away.

"Sorry Donna, I should have checked!" Cathy said to the retreating girl.

"That's okay boss, thanks anyway." Donna replied and then kept off the radio.

"Right girls, make sure that the area's secure, I don't want to lose any more of you!" She said. A sweep of the area showed one more sniper, who was quickly despatched.

"Team leader to all. 15 down on their side, but we lost Donna, They have 9 on their way! Repeat the count is 9!" Cathy reported as she took the flag from its socket and into a clip on her belt. She looked at her remaining 4 girls and twirled her hand. They took up positions around Cathy and they began running back towards their base.

"Sharon, we're on our way back, cover us!" Cathy said and ducked under a branch. She felt a sting on her leg and looking down there was a blue splash, keeping herself under control she fell forward and stopped.

Another girl took the flag and then said. "Leader down, spread out for snipers!" She shook her head apologetically at Cathy and then quickly moved away. Cathy held up her gun and her other hand and walked to the reception centre, she was soon joined by a boy with several yellow splashes on his back and legs.

She smiled at him, "Well done, you were the one that got me weren't you?" She asked him.

He nodded sheepishly, "Yeah! But then they ganged up on me!" He said and then they both laughed.


Cathy watched the film of the attack, she saw Donna hit and then herself struck in the leg, normally it would have slowed them down, but in pain-balling any hit was designated as fatal.

There was a cheer from the girls as Chris held aloft the Yellow flag from its holder, only to be hit from several angles, one even struck his mouth — although head shots were not allowed they did happen - that was the reason for the goggles — which made the girls laugh.

Then the debriefing started. "Christopher, you took too many to take the flag, you relied on your defenders to protect the flag a small team would have sufficed. Cathy you assigned leaders for your 4 teams, each one was responsible for certain priorities and were wise enough to follow orders. Both teams had the benefit of the chameleon suits but where Cathy's kept to the undergrowth and moved fast, Chris's team charged straight ahead, using none of the available cover, which is why only Chris was remaining when he took the flag and you all saw the results.

"Although Cathy didn't survive the attack, her team only lost 4 girls whereas Chris's team was wiped out completely, Chris you didn't learn anything on this course, I'm sorry to say that you have failed and will have to take it again! Michael, Colin and Paul, congratulations on your task you worked hard, it was just that the girls were slightly better than you were and so they won their heats. You have all passed the course.

Cathy, Sharon, Kathy and Charlotte. Your attacks were well placed and you obtained your targets, whereas your defence was practically perfect, it's been along time since any leaders have scores so high that you have individually broken the records for the courses with Cathy having the highest. You have all past with distinction. Congratulations!" The organiser said handing placards to the 4 girls. Cathy looked at the man puzzled, "But I lost 4 girls, including myself. Why was I scored so high?" She asked.

"You made allowances for losing people, even yourself; you knew that no plan was foolproof and so you tried to cover that. Many leaders try to ensure they are either behind the troops and taking the credit for any wins or ignore everything to get the prize, which was Chris's mistake, one which I hope he learns from." She was told.

The school group were loaded on to the buses to be returned to their respective schools while the 5 youths went to a car that was taking them back to Alpha 3 Which had become their home over the years.

While Sharon, Kathy and Charlotte were bursting at their grading, Cathy and Christopher were silent going over their actions and what else they could have done — although for different reasons, Chris couldn't see why he wasn't following his lessons? He tried to think but for some reason it didn't seem to work, it was as if there was a block controlling his actions.

Cathy however was trying to go over her actions but couldn't see where she had gone wrong, but she must have done to have lost those girls! She was still puzzling over this when the car arrived the doors were opened.

There was a cough after a few minutes, Cathy looked up to see that the car was empty apart from herself, Jameson; the butler for Alpha 3 was holding the door open. Cathy shook herself and slid out of the car, "Thank you Jameson." She said and walked slowly to the steps.

"If I might say Miss Cathy, there is something not quite right with you. I would have thought that you would have been pleased with your mark?" Jameson said.

"What did I do wrong Jameson?" She asked.

"Miss?" Jameson said not knowing what he was being asked.

"I tried to make sure that everything was covered, that everyone could ensure the other's safety, then I lose three of them, not to mention myself! Where did I go wrong?" She said.

"Miss Cathy, you did nothing wrong. You will find in battles that you will have loses, it's unavoidable, people don't always follow the instructions as they should, they get distracted. I suggest you have a word with Sir Timothy, I'll set up a meeting for you." Jameson said as they entered the house. Cathy just shrugged which made Jameson more concerned than anything else.


Sir Timothy had also studied the disc, Cathy's approach was perfect, her team were well briefed, it was just poor luck that she was shot while returning the flag. Chris's team member had actually disobeyed his orders by returning and positioning himself; it was a good idea but showed that Chris had no control over his troops!

Sir Timothy shook his head, Cathy and Chris had the same training, although Cathy seemed to retain it better, Chris just ignored common sense and jumped in! What was going wrong with him?

The Organisation's spies had found no real connection between John Henderson and the Association, his phone calls were scrambled but that was no real reason to be distrustful, and he was the only other contact that Chris had, he still spent some weekends with his father, but that was all part of the divorce proceedings which had taken place before Sandra met George Douglas.

What could they be doing that would disrupt the training that Chris was receiving? Sir Timothy wondered when his PDA bleeped. He read the message on the screen it was from Jameson at Alpha 3, Cathy was not acting normally following her paint balling session.

Sir Timothy wondered if a simple phone call was going to help or perhaps something else was needed. He looked at the time it was late afternoon, he pressed the button to summon Baxter.

"Yes Sir?" Baxter asked as he entered the room.

"I need to go to Alpha 3 Baxter, can you arrange transport for me and alert the cooks there that I'll be arriving." Sir Timothy said.

"Ah I see sir, I take it Miss Cathy is the cause?" Baxter asked making Sir Timothy look at him, "It was the incident at the presentation that alerted me." He said.

"I missed that, I was concentrating on the actual events, I'll review the video in the car." Sir Timothy said getting up from his seat and stretching. "I'm getting too old for a desk job Baxter." He said.

"They also serve who only sit and wait, sir!" Baxter intoned before he left the room.

Sir Timothy shook his head and went to the hall. Baxter was waiting there with a parlour maid who curtsied to him as he passed. "Thank you Amanda, I hope you're settling in." He asked the young woman.

"Yes sir, thank you. Mr. Baxter is very nice and the others are helping me." Amanda said with a smile.

"Good, if you have any problems then either Cook or Baxter will help you, and don't be nervous if things go wrong, they always do." Sir Timothy said and went through the door that Baxter was holding open for him.

"How is she coping Baxter?" Sir Timothy asked when they were out of ear-shot of Amanda.

"Not too bad Sir, there have been a couple of minor incidents but Cook took control of them, I think she's missing her sister." Baxter said.

"Well can you arrange for Jackie to visit her at times, when it's convenient for her of course. " Sir Timothy said.

"I believe Cook has invited her for supper tonight Sir." Baxter said which made Sir Timothy smile.

"You know I don't think I'm really needed to make suggestions any more, it's already done!" He said.

"That is what servants are for sir, we have to anticipate your requests and ensure that everything is ready for you sir." Baxter said opening the car door for him and making sure he was securely seated before closing the door.


Cathy just sat in the common room; she didn't share the other's good humour but was deep in thought. She was still going over her 'failure' at the paint-ball centre when her PDA bleeped, absent minded she took out the unit and read the information on it.

'Cathy please report to Sir Timothy's chamber below!'

She stood up and left the room leaving the other three girls to watch her - mystified at her actions, Sharon had tried to get her to talk but she wouldn't, it was upsetting both Charlotte and Kathy both of whom looked up to her for support.

"She'll be alright soon, don't worry." Sharon said trying to sound happier than she actually was.

Cathy went to a non-descript tapestry and went behind it; it led to a stairway that spiralled down beneath the house. She walked past the sentry who saluted her and stood to one side; absently she nodded to him and carried on walking.

She came to a panelled door and knocked on it, "Come in Cathy." Sir Timothy said and so she entered his room.

"Sit down Cathy, and tell me what's wrong?" He said showing Cathy a large comfortable chair. Cathy did as she was asked and Sir Timothy said down beside her.

"There's nothing really." Cathy began.

"Nonsense, even I can tell you're troubled and I'm not here all the time! Now tell me." He said pushing her slightly.

"Okay, I did the whole thing wrong! I got 4 people killed and I was one of them! I failed in the course, so why did they say I was the best one there!" She said angrily.

"Really? I disagree; do you know how many people are normally claimed dead during a battle?" He asked her, Cathy shook her head. "Normally 75% that would be 16 of your troops were expected to 'die'!"

"But it isn't right! I shouldn't allow them to be killed!" She said in anguish.

"War is never right, that's why we only use weapons when there is no other way! But sometimes you have to have casualties, it's one of the things that all commanders hate but can't avoid. You lost only 4 out of your group of 24! Christopher's team was completely wiped out! Which was the better result?" Sir Timothy said.

"Well ... I suppose..." Cathy began, "But I still don't see..." She persisted.

"Cathy I want you to watch this!" Sir Timothy said and, using a controller started a video film of Cathy's briefing followed by Christopher's." then it was a split screen of the action of both group. Cathy's going in order and positioning themselves carefully, while Christopher's were just running ahead to get to the flag relying on numbers to overwhelm their opponents, unfortunately by doing that it was reminiscent of the 'Charge of the Light Brigade' with the boys being cut down by the accurate shots of the girls.

Then Cathy watched as Donna was struck by sniper fire, "That was where I was too confident!" She said.

"Yes, you were, but then you learn from mistakes, carry on watching." She did and saw her direct her troops to look for more snipers, finding the one and eliminating him from the game. Then it was her turn to fall, she had watched as the sniper shook his head during the charge and slowly moved back to where he could take out the flag carrier, although his celebration was short lived as two girls found and shot him.

Then Cathy laughed as Christopher, the only remaining person in his group, got to the flag, raised it up and was struck by 5 paint-balls, one of which struck him almost into his mouth!

"Now Cathy, your failure was caused by Chris's man choosing to disobey his order to act as a line of defence, if more had been assigned then perhaps you might have lost completely, but you didn't. Your troops had more discipline and control, you had your 3 friends acting in control of their sections and they all knew what was expected of them. The two you lost didn't keep their positions and so they were spotted and eliminated. That was something you can't control and so you have to accept it!" He told her bluntly and then added kindly, "If you don't believe me then I have the reports of all the inspectors of the course who rated your performance as exemplary, it was almost textbook in its approach and execution."

"But they..." Cathy began and then she realised what she was being told, "But all I did was to tell them what I thought they needed to know!" She said.

"And it was! The only person who isn't satisfied with the whole thing is you!" I would suggest that you accept that in some cases you will lose people, it's not nice and you hate yourself over every one that you lose." Sir Timothy said and there was a look in his eyes.

"It affects you as well?" Cathy asked in a low voice.

"Yes, it does. You never get over it but you have to carry on, take it on the chin and then fight again! But every one is engraved on your heart!" He told her.

Cathy gave a small smile, "So no matter how I try to work out what went wrong, I'll never get the answer, so why should I feel like this?" She asked him.

Sir Timothy just looked at her, "Because you care about your people, even those who you've only just met! That is what makes you a leader of people!" He said.

"But I'm still a girl, who would want to follow me?" She asked.

Sir Timothy gave a laugh, "Cathy you know that everyone you've met has become part of your team, I mean look at your three friends, Sharon, Kathy and Charlotte. Do you imagine that they stay with you because they're still scared of the outside world? They want to be with you as you have so much control.

"Take Su-Li, she's on detached duty at the moment, but should you ask for her then she would come back to you before I could even lift a finger to beckon her. Inspector Clark? He's another of your fans, if you needed police cover then he wouldn't hesitate and you would have as many men as you need, regardless of overtime!

"And the people here, if we were marching and I said left turn and you said right turn, they'd all go to the right! You don't think you're capable of command? Well then I'm just a school crossing guard! I've a good mind to make you a Knight right now! But I can't it's your age I'm afraid. But once you're of age then I will ask you if you want to remain with us."

"Oh yes, my own choice again, but my mom and dad will be here, what am I supposed to do, find somewhere else to live?" Cathy asked, but it was a question she had asked before and the answer was one she had heard before.

"Not at all, you can stay here until you want to leave; this is your home now and will be! Anyway I thought you couldn't leave the twins?" Sir Timothy asked her.

"No, I couldn't leave them! What do you believe? Are they the ones?" Cathy asked him.

"In a way I hope they're not, I'm worried that they might join up with the Association, but it's their choice as well. You haven't noticed anything strange about them have you?" Sir Timothy asked.

Cathy was ready for the question; again it was one that was constantly asked, "No, nothing at all. Except that they started talking when rather young, but that's all!" She said.

Sir Timothy nodded, that was all that other people had noticed as well, but after Cathy's actions he was certain that they would have shown some sign by now. He sighed, "Oh well, I did hope." He said, "Back to you now Cathy, how do you feel about today's session now?" he asked.

Cathy also sighed, "I feel slightly better, but I still think there might have been something I could have done." She said.

Sir Timothy shook his head, "Apart from not taking part, there was nothing else you could do!" I must say your tutors are all pleased with you actions as well as those of Kathy, Sharon and Charlotte, they want to use the video to show trained troops how to behave!" He said, Cathy searched his face for any sign of laughter, but found none.

"Really? Cool!" She said smiling, knowing that Sir Timothy wasn't really up to modern language and so she had toned it down, "I suppose it's okay, but that's if the other's agree. Can I ask them?" She asked.

Sir Timothy nodded; "Yes at..." He looked at his watch, "Good grief! Is that the time, we'd better get ready for dinner, I'll see you up there." He said as Cathy jumped up from her seat.

She turned at the door and smiled, "Thank you Sir Timothy, I'm happier now." She said and almost skipped out of the door, but remembered how old she actually was and so stopped herself.

She spoke to the guard at the door and found that he was taking notice of what she was saying, she waved goodbye to him and made her way up the stairs to emerge from the tapestry back in the corridor of Alpha 3; Jameson was just approaching as she did so.

"Miss Cathy, I hope everything is alright now?" He asked her.

"Yes, thanks Jameson. Did you know that Sir Timothy will be here for dinner?" She asked him.

"I was informed by Cook a few minutes ago, if you don't mind Miss, I have to ensure that everything is prepared correctly." Jameson said and bowed.

"Sorry Jameson, I've got to get dressed as well." She said and made her way to the dormitory.

Jameson watched her go and smiled, that was more like the Cathy he knew, resisting the urge to whistle — it would have been out of image for him — he went on to the dining room to check that the best dishes and cutlery was being placed on the table.


Cathy returned to the common room she saw her three friends watching her, she smiled at them. "I'm sorry I've been such a stupid dunce, will you forgive me?" She asked them only to be swamped by all three.

"You just don't get it do you Cathy!" Sharon said, "We weren't mad at you, just giving you room until you came around!"

Cathy knew that Sir Timothy was right; her friends would always be there for her, just like she was there for them.

The four girls went to their bedroom which, contrary to most teenagers, was neat and tidy. They undressed and put their dirty clothes into the laundry basket before putting on formal dresses — which was normal when Sir Timothy was at Alpha 3.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.