Cathy Douglas - Cover

Cathy Douglas

Copyright© 2006 by Wandering Lanes

Chapter 14

Cathy Douglas

William, the equerry in charge of protocol was flustered, he was told that this child was now in charge of something called The Organisation, but also he knew that Sir Timothy was the head of that group. He had phoned around and found out that this was no longer the case after Sir Timothy had been murdered by Lord Medway, in the House of all places!

He looked at the child, he couldn't think of her as important, and noticed that with her was Lady Helen, "You ladyship I don't think it's appropriate for the Queen to be bothered with this child." He began.

Cathy shook her head to Lady Helen but turned to face the man, "I would thank you to be more respectful of my position, although I do understand that I am young, but also I believe the royalty has already had a young queen who did rather well even for her age?" Cathy said sounding older than she looked.

William blinked, he'd never met someone so self assured as this Cathy was, "Well ... err ... yes, but she had years of training and background behind her." He said trying to defend the people he served.

Cathy smiled, "I know, but then I have had several years of training, I was taught by Sir Timothy and his men, I have learnt what they have taught me ... shall we proceed now?" She said.

William nodded, "Err ... yes ... indeed. Now when you meet her majesty remember to call her 'your majesty' once only, after that you may use the word ma'am, that's ma'am as in harm not ma'am as in ram. Never turn your back on her majesty as that is considered to be bad manners." He paused for a moment, "You're not armed are you, as weapons are not allowed within the chamber with her majesty!" He said worriedly.

Cathy stopped she was aware now of the pistol included with her uniform, "I am a warrior who is pledged to serve and protect her majesty and her realm, why would I be armed?" She said looking him in the eye.

He got flustered, if he could have been any more flustered that is, "W ... we ... well I'm sorry it's just that, I mean that if you were ... no matter." He led them on still giving instructions most of which Cathy instantly forgot. He took them to a door and then opened it, entering the room and closing the door behind him.

Cathy turned to Lady Helen, "I hope I'm okay in there." She said showing her nerves for the first time.

Helen smiled at her, "Don't worry Cathy, she's very nice and won't bite your head off, just be yourself and everything will be fine." She said reassuringly.

William emerged from the chamber and looked at Cathy, "Her majesty will see you now, you will enter and then normally just nod your head, and I've been told you don't need to curtsy to her. (It is a big concession you know), after that you may approach her. She has assigned 15 minutes for your meeting any longer and you will be requested to leave, should she dismiss you earlier then you will leave by walking backwards, you then nod your head just before you leave the room. Now you may enter!" He opened the door for Cathy who, with a look at Lady Helen, then entered.


Cathy had seen pictures of the Queen and knew what she looked like, but now with her vision she could see not only Elizabeth II of England, but behind her a whole line of people, all past Kings and Queens. She gave the nod that she had been told to give.

The Queen smiled, "Oh don't worry about that! It's all for show anyway, now I know this is a shock to you, do you want to sit down and we'll talk."

Cathy blinked; this wasn't what she expected at all. "Thank you Your Majesty." She waited for the Queen to sit first and then she sat, protocol notwithstanding, good manners were still important.

The Queen looked at Cathy, "I've had several reports about you from Timothy of course, but it all the better to meet you in real life, now how are you feeling?" She asked.

"Well Your ... Ma'am, it was a shock at first but I've accepted it," She didn't mention the ceremony that she had undertaken in the Dreamland as she was sure that it wouldn't be understood, "I just hope that the others in the Organisation are as sure as I'm led to believe."

The Queen patted Cathy's leg, "They will be - I know they trust you. Now I'm to accept your oath to protect myself and my family ... but you already know that I don't need that. The Organisation has always been looking out for the Monarchy; did you know that it was one of your predecessors that saved the Monarchy in England?"

Cathy just stared until she realised she'd been asked a question, "Err. No Ma'am?" She said.

The Queen smiled, "Just relax Cathy it's just two people talking, think of it like that and you'll be fine. Now where was I ... oh yes. This was back during the first world war time, it was embarrassing for the British people to be under the rule of a family with a German name, you did know we used to be Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, although we used to be known purely as Saxe-Coburg, anyway it was thought as wrong to keep the name and the Commander of the Organisation said we should change it...

" ... but the question was to what? The King at that time was George V, and he said that what he wanted was a name that was synonymous to England. I believe the story goes that he wanted it to be British as Brown Windsor Soup. So the Commander at that time said 'well that's easy, what about the name Windsor? We can always make out it was named after the Castle?' And George liked it so it was done." The Queen looked at Cathy who wasn't sure how to react, "And now Commander Cathy, you have a great responsibility to assume. I do take it you are armed?" She asked.

Cathy looked down, "Yes your, I mean, Ma'am. I know it is deep treason to do so but I am a commander and have my responsibilities to the crown, county and the people. I can't do that unarmed." She said and waited for the explosion she knew was coming.

The Queen laughed, "You are correct Commander! As is normal protocol the Commander of the Organisation is the only person to be allowed this privilege. What is it that I, as monarch can do for you?" The Queen asked.

Cathy blinked, "I don't know your majesty? I would suggest that the death of Sir Timothy proves that the Association is capable of anything and would regard you as a target, so I think it would be better if you joined Prince Charles and the others at Balmoral." She said

The Queen shook her head, "I told Timothy that I would never leave the Palace for this crisis, I'm showing the people that I'm am with them, anyway I've lived here long enough I don't see running away from problems." She looked at the clock. "Now Commander, I accept you as my 'man' in the Organisation and will follow most of your orders. I think that William will begin to worry if I keep you any longer, should you need to see me again just call, and you will have instant contact. I will watch your career with interest." She got up making Cathy do the same. As Cathy was about to walk backwards she was stopped.

"Commander, as a sign of our trust in the Organisation and its members, the rule about leaving the Monarch's presence doesn't apply ... and you're liable to trip over that Corgi anyway." The Queen said while hiding a smile.

Cathy looked behind her to see a Corgi was there wagging its stump of a tail, she stroked the dog and was surprised when it didn't snap at her; she turned back to the Queen. "Thank you your Majesty." She said and then turned and walked out of the room.


Helen was seated on a chair outside the receiving room; she looked at Cathy and smiled. "So? How did it go?" She asked.

Cathy exhaled and smiled, "It was like nothing I ever expected, I've actually talked to the Queen!" She said Helen laughed.

"So? Now Commander you have to face your troops, are you ready?" She asked.

Cathy thought for a moment, 'Even the Queen had accepted her, was there anything else she had to face? ... Only Chris and the Association!' "Oh yes, bring them on!" She said as they walked to the car.

The driver saluted them both as they arrived at the car, "The press have wanted to know who you are Cathy, I've told them nothing!" She said.

Cathy nodded, "That's okay. To them I'm going to be invisible, Lady Helen will you act as figurehead for the Organisation, to be there for important events like dinners? I'd feel out of place, and I know you had the practise." She asked with a smile.

Helen frowned, "Oh I don't know ... I mean it's going to be so high profile, and then there's all those boring people fawning over me to get on the Organisations good side..." She then smiled, "It will be fun!" She added.

Cathy turned to the driver, "You heard that Amanda? Lady Helen is going to be the one they take pictures of, I'm just with her for the sake of her father." She said with a smile.

Amanda nodded, "Yes Commander, I'll keep the windows dark while we travel, where are we going to? Alpha One?" She asked.

Cathy shook her head, "No, Take me home to Alpha 3, that's going to be the headquarters. I'll keep the names as they are! There's no sense in confusing people at both locations." She said.

Amanda nodded, "Very well Commander." She acknowledged.

Cathy sighed, "And Amanda..." She said and looked at Lady Helen.

Amanda frowned, "Yes Commander?" She said.

Cathy smiled, "I'm still Cathy! I haven't changed although my rank has. Now the next person to call me Commander will be on latrine duty, is that clear."

Amanda smiled and saluted again, "Yes Cathy, I'll pass that on as well." She said as Cathy and Helen got into the car.

Once they were there the windows darkened, allowing them to look out but preventing anyone from looking in. Helen turned to Cathy. "Now Cathy after what you've just said to Amanda out there I want you to call me Helen, I don't like being Lady Helen, she doesn't have fun ... I want to have fun, I'll go to the meetings and dinners as you want, but I will also have some time working where I want to ... is that okay?" She asked.

Cathy nodded suddenly tired, "Yes Helen, anything you want." She said and then she fell asleep.


Cathy opened her eyes; she was in a panelled hall. In front of her was a man and a woman, but she knew them, "Samuel, Samantha? What are you two doing here?" She asked

The man, who was Samuel, spoke, "When you took on the mantle Cathy you started a chain of events, your mind will have to expand to encompass this, and we are going to show you how to do this."

Samantha then spoke, "We will be showing you how to use your mind to look around and see people as they really are, not just with the sight of the Commander, you will have control, but to you it will seem that they are developing on their own." She said.

Cathy frowned, "But what do you mean? You've just told me what's going to happen, so why will it seem that way?" She asked.

Samuel sighed and then spoke, "We cannot allow you to remember these sessions, because if you knew the reason why then the prophecy will never be completed, I want you to meet someone." He said and they took Cathy into a room. Inside the room lying on a couch was Christopher, Cathy took a step back.

"But he's the cause of Sir Timothy's death, it's all his fault!" She said.

Samantha shook her head, "No Cathy, it wasn't him. A man called Grogan has allowed Bemalin to take control of him and had arranged for the assassination; Chris had no hand in this and is now working to bring down the Association from inside."

"But why can't you make him come back to the Organisation?" She asked.

Samuel shook his head, "It is not the time ... but now you have to lie down here so that we can start." He said.

Cathy felt like she should protest but found that she couldn't, "Don't worry sister, it's us, we're going to help you." Samantha said.

Cathy closed her eyes...


When she opened them again the car was just arriving at Alpha 3, Cathy shook herself. 'Oh Chris!' she thought and then wonder why she would think that.

Jameson met Cathy at the door to Alpha 3, "Good Afternoon Miss Cathy, will you require tea or do you want to go to your office?" He asked.

Cathy smiled at him, "Do I really have an office?" She asked.

Jameson didn't even smirk, "Of course, a person in your position needs an office, and your support staffs are there already." He said, at Cathy's look he clarified the position, "Misses Charlotte, Sharon and Kathy." He said.

Cathy smiled, "You mean Kat don't you Jameson?" She asked.

He kept his face straight, "You'll have to sort that out with Miss Kathy, Ma'am." He said.

Cathy couldn't help it but she laughed at that, "Whatever! Thank you Jameson is there anything else I should know?" She asked.

Jameson sighed, it would have to be said sooner or later, "Yes Miss Cathy, I have arranged for a personal maid to attend to you, it isn't right for a woman in your current position to be served by a man in the early hours of the day, I've taken the liberty to assign someone to take that position." He said.

Cathy stopped in her tracks, "Do I need a maid? Can't I look after myself?" She asked.

Jameson allowed a small smile to appear, "Of course you can Miss Cathy, but for appearance sake I cannot allow you to be improperly attended." He said.

Cathy looked at him, "Can I object?" She asked.

"Of course you can Miss Cathy, but you'd have to tell the young lady why yourself." Jameson said, knowing that she couldn't do that.

Cathy sighed, "Do I know the person?" She asked.

Jameson shook his head, "I don't think so Miss Cathy, she has just graduated from The Program and has yet to decide what she wants to do. Her name is Samantha." He said, for some reason Cathy thought of her sister who was also Samantha, but she shook off the picture.

"I'll see her later Jameson; I'd better get to work." Cathy said making her way down to the base itself.

Jameson nodded and walked back to the kitchen, he was going to send down some tea anyway!


As Cathy entered Sir Timothy's ... No ... her office she wasn't surprised to see her three friends working away, Sharon looked up and smiled. Cathy was going to return the smile when suddenly she stopped, she could see that these girls would do anything for her, they trusted her so much that if she asked them to walk off Beachy Head they would, without question.

She rushed to them and hugged them closely, tears in her eyes, "I don't deserve friends like you guys." She said.

The other three girls were concerned for a moment and then they started to return the hug, allowing themselves the freedom that their friendship allowed them.

Cathy released the hug and all four girls were self conscious of their feelings, Cathy went to Si ... Her desk and began going through the paperwork. In most cases the important tasks were covered by Sharon, Charlotte and Kathy.

There was a file marked Samantha on her desk, Cathy read through it, it detailed the life of a girl found by the Organisation who was being made to do exotic dances and other things after being orphaned, details of her training and also psychiatric reports, there was also a mention of her Grandmother involvement. Cathy read the file and smiled, she'd let Jameson win this one.

Cathy looked around, "It seems there's nothing else for me to do, so I might as well go to bed!" She said with a smile.

"Oh no you don't, we've got lots of decisions to be finalised. At the moment the forces of the Organisation are ticking over, you have to make an appearance! We've got everything set up in the communications area." Kathy said

"You just want to see me squirm." Cathy said sounding scared.

"Yep! You're in charge and so you take the fire." Charlotte said pulling her friend to her feet.

"So come on the camera is waiting." Sharon told her as she opened the door.

On their way to the communications room they passed several uniformed people, all of which smile and saluted Cathy as she made her protesting way along the corridor. Every one of these people generated a wave of happiness to see her and to be following her orders, Cathy was stunned.

In her mind Cathy found the strength to follow her friends' actions and decided to do this, it was needed, almost as if some inner person was pulling her. 'Not pulling, just leading. The troops need this as well!' She 'heard' a voice saying to her, it wasn't anyone she knew but she understood it.

Cathy heard the applause as she entered the communications area, there were people in there just watching her, and she could see the cameras focused on her, one with a light on it. She took a deep breath and spoke.

"Good Afternoon to you all. This is a sad time for us; we are mourning the loss of Sir Timothy, a man who has guided us along this path. He was taken from us at a time when we needed him. I grew to love him and I will, along with most of you, miss him. I ask you all to pause for a moment to remember Sir Timothy."

Cathy stood for a minute, thoughts of Sir Timothy going through her mind, the way he encouraged her and guided her even when she didn't realise it. When she looked back at the camera tears were in her eyes and her voice was cracking.

"I ... I was younger when ... When I first met Sir Timothy," She began and then her voice firmed up as she looked to where Sharon was standing, tears were in her eyes as well as she thought back to those times.

"He saw something in me, and he invited me to stay here at Alpha 3 with my friends. At first we thought it was a bit of a joke, people playing at being soldiers..." She waited for a reaction and then she carried on. "But it wasn't a joke! After a while I trained with many of you, learning what you do and how it feels." She rubbed her shoulder remembering the many times she felt the pain in them, "For this I respect each and every one of you, we are a family. If not officially, then in our hearts!"

Cathy pointed to the Seal behind her, "This is our emblem. The poor soldiers of Christ, The Knights Templar! Here to help our fellow man. When I accepted this position I made an oath, one that has changed our direction. We will fight the Association until the last man is defeated, but I also swore that that I will help all people, regardless of race, colour and creed. Whosoever asks for my help — or the help of those who follow me — will receive it! This is my oath and I would ask all of you to join me in repeating this oath, it means that we are not just looking after the Christian people, but all the people whoever or whatever they believe in. This Organisation has modern equipment and people, but its origins were firmly entrenched in the past! Now is the time to bring it into the present!" She stood back from the camera and placed her hand over her heart, looking around she could see those others in the room doing the same.

"I, Cathy Douglas, Knight Commander of the Knights Templar, hereby swear that I will offer aid to all who ask it, regardless of race, colour or creed. Whosoever calls for my aid — or that of those who follow me — shall receive it! So be it!" She said and all in the room repeated 'So Be IT'

Cathy felt something spreading from her to the room, and knew that the feeling was spreading outwards, everywhere the Organisation troops were watching, each one could feel the effect and they knew that this was right, this was needed and they were filled with a sense of rightness's.

After a few minutes Cathy spoke again, "I asked, when I was offered this position, what can I expect ... I was told 'Hard work, long hours and very little sleep!' This is all I can offer you. The past few weeks has shown us that the road is going to be hard, and dangerous. Many of us may not see the next day, but we are all that stands between the people and the Association. We are going to have to double and redouble our efforts now. To the soldiers we need to develop links with the regular army and the police. Clerics and Doctors, you will have to help the sick and needy, offer whatever aid we can provide and call on whatever resources you need. Support staff, you will have much of the load, providing enough cover and food. Our monarch supports us and gives us her blessing. Will we let her down?" Cathy asked and heard from the speakers the reply of the troops from their bases 'NO!'

Cathy waited for the noise to quieten down, "I thank you. Does anyone have any questions?" She asked and waited for a response.

"Knight Commander ... This is Private Evans Alpha 5." A hesitant voice said.

"Hello Evans, do you have a first name?" Cathy asked gently.

"It's Paul, Knight Commander, Paul Evans." Paul said sounding even more scared.

"Hello Paul, I'm Cathy and will always be Cathy. What is your question?" Cathy asked smiling at the camera.

"Well Knigh ... Cathy. Most of the people here were with you in some of your training and we all know you and will follow you, lead us and we'll be there." He said.

"Cathy, this is Sergeant William Forester, Beta 7. We've heard of you and the stories we hear are all good, we're behind you."

All too soon the air was full of other people wanting to tell Cathy that she was welcomed in her position and that they all supported her, the calls overlapping and overpowering her with the sensations they were conveying.

All too soon Cathy had tears in her eyes she held up her hands asking for quiet. "Thank you ... thank you all, I will try to be the leader you deserve and I know we will beat the Association. Now please stand by as we will be passing out orders for you, I know you've heard of my people, Charlotte, Sharon and Kat..." There was a call from Kathy, to which Cathy replied, "Whatever!" Making everyone laugh "Please follow their orders as if they're from me, I know them and trust them to help keep me going. But for now, goodbye and may God watch over us all." She said and waited for the light on the camera to go out.

When it did she sagged slightly, tears still in her eyes while Kathy, Charlotte and Sharon went to her side. "I hope I did okay?" Cathy asked them.

Kathy hugged her, "You did what you had to. And for that we love you!" She said which summed it up for everyone.


That night when Cathy went to her bedroom — for some reason the three girls escorted her to this room after which they returned to their dormitory — she found that her nightdress was laid out on the bed, a young woman was standing in the room, and she gave a curtsy as Cathy entered.

"You're Samantha?" Cathy asked.

"Yes ma'am." Samantha said — making sound like 'mum' — and she curtsy again.

Cathy held out her hand, "Please Samantha, you're older than I am, just call me Cathy and don't bother about the curtsy I'm just another girl that's all." She said.

Samantha stopped at looked at her, "You're not! You're Veronica's granddaughter! My grandmother told me that whenever Veronica or anyone related to her is concerned you're next to god!" She said seriously.

Cathy remembered the additional note written by Veronica regarding Marlin with an addition regarding the death of the two involved in Samantha's treatment. "No. There have been others who have done more than us, so please Samantha just treat me as a normal girl."

Samantha didn't reply but went around ensuring that everything was in its place. "I'll be just in the other room if you need anything Cathy, it doesn't matter what time it is, your drink is by the bed and the remote for the television is also there."

Samantha curtseyed again and then left the room before Cathy could say anything else.

Cathy shook her head and got ready to sleep, it was strange but even with the nap she had in the car earlier she was tired again, she turned on the TV. Watching the news for anything strange, but as she laid back in the bed her eyes closed and she was fast asleep.

It was an hour later that Samantha entered the room quietly, the lights had been dimmed and she was seeing with low-light glasses, she turned off the television and removed the cup that was still full, she gently moved the bedcovers over Cathy, before leaving.

Outside Cathy's room Jameson was standing, "Is everything alright Samantha?" He asked.

Samantha removed her glasses, "Yes Mr. Jameson, Miss Cathy is asleep now, I think everything has just hit her." She reported.

Jameson nodded, "That's what Mr. Baxter said would happen, keep an eye on her and make sure that she's comfortable, she's the one keeping the Organisation alive." He said.

Samantha nodded and then went to the kitchen with the tea, she quickly returned to her quarters, just beside Cathy's with the adjoining door open, she undressed and went to bed; her training had enabled her to wake at the slightest noise, just in case her charge needed her.


Cathy was back in the panelled room, her memory of the last time she was there returned, she went to the chamber where Chris was but he wasn't there.

"He's being treated in another area; it is not yet time for you to meet." Samantha — her sister Samantha — said.

"I don't understand why?" Cathy said.

Samantha gave a small smile, "I know this is a hard time for you both. You know sister you could come and visit us in the real world, we don't see you much." She said.

Cathy put her arms on her hips, "Hey it's not as if I want to keep away, it's just that I don't have the time." She said.

Samantha nodded, "That is true, there is very little time remaining, we have to carry on with your training, in a way you have it easier than Chris. He doesn't even remember meeting Samuel or myself, his training is deeper." She said.

Cathy frowned, "What are you two teaching him?" She asked.

Samantha shook a finger at Cathy, "Now is not the time to know!" She said, "Now when you met with the three musketeers this afternoon, what did you sense?" She asked with a smile.

Cathy wondered at her use of the name for Sharon, Charlotte and Kathy but it did fit, although it made her d'Artagnan. "I felt that I knew them completely, their love for me and each other was obvious." She said

Samantha nodded, "Indeed, you will find that this ability to tell how people feel will increase, what you are going to learn is how to influence people's minds."

Cathy frowned, "But that's immoral! Nobody should have that power! I don't want it!" She said firmly.

Samantha smiled, "For that reason you are the only person who should have it, don't worry we'll be watching you and if necessary guiding you. Now are you ready?" She asked.

Cathy shook her head, but all of a sudden she felt Samantha inside her mind, making compartments in her brain, opening doors that she didn't know were there. For what seemed like days but was only hours Cathy remembered things that she hadn't even registered as forgetting. Samantha was standing beside her again.

"That has begun the treatment, you need to rest now and I'll do the rest later." She said.

Cathy frowned, "But what else is there to do?" She asked.

"That was just housekeeping, what we're going to do is to fill some of these spaces with what you're be able to do! But that's going to be later, doing this has caused you energy, energy which you'll have to sleep to restore, normal sleep that is. So Rest! Relax, and when you wake tomorrow you won't remember any of this, but everything will seem to be fine." Samantha said.


Cathy was woken by her maid, Samantha, opening the curtains allowing the sunlight to enter the room. "Good Morning Cathy, Mr. Jameson said you will be wanting to do your normal exercises with the others today. I hope this is correct?" She asked.

Cathy smiled; she was relaxed after her night's sleep. A sleep in which she hadn't dreamed, or at least didn't remember dreaming. But her mind seemed to be working better than she had ever felt it working before. "Yes thank you Samantha, have there been any incidents during the night?" She asked.

Samantha shook her head, "No Cathy, I had already asked the Communications section to give me any reports that could involve the Association, there have been a few petty crimes which our liaison officers have been working on but they are known criminals." She reported.

Cathy frowned, "Strange, I would have thought that the Association would have stepped up their attacks." She said out loud. She got out of bed and found that Samantha had put out some clothes, not uniform but not strictly civilian either, they fitted Cathy perfectly.

"Where did these come from?" Cathy asked.

"It's a new design that Sir Timothy had ready for when you and your team took over, it ... it seems he was expecting something to happen." Samantha said a slight choke in her voice.

Cathy went to the older girl and held her, "We all miss Sir Timothy, so don't be worried to talk about him when you want to." She said, knowing that he had taken Samantha away from the Children's home several years ago.

Samantha took out a handkerchief and dabbed at her eyes, "Thank you Cathy, I've put some exercise clothes out for you, their counterparts have already been delivered to Sharon, Charlotte and Kathy.

Cathy didn't say anything about the last name but Samantha's look said she was prepared for the normal response, so all she said was, "Whatever!"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.