Cathy Douglas - Cover

Cathy Douglas

Copyright© 2006 by Wandering Lanes

Chapter 11

Cathy Douglas

The Organisation was busy for that day and the days following, they helped out the Emergency services, manning fire engines and even the old fashioned 'Green Goddesses' that had been taken out of mothballs.

The Beta sites that were hospitals were full and for the first time the public were allowed to visit their relations who were there.

Cathy and her girls were involved in the administration of this, although until Hiram was asked to help out and produced a program to keep track of all those admitted into the Organisation's care. In each Beta site there were other smaller teams, but they deferred to Cathy's group. In their turn Cathy passed through the summaries to Sir Timothy.

For his part Sir Timothy was working in the House of Lords apprising them of the actions that were taking place and also the results that had been achieved so far — which wasn't much. The base of the Association's activities wasn't known and the strength of their forces was also an unknown factor. That they had superior computer knowledge was shown with the action taken in the streets where traffic lights had started to malfunction, causing serious accidents and blocking the roads. The added disruption of the Police National Computer system was also a major problem.

Gradually it dawned on Cathy that she and her three friends were becoming more involved in the running of the Organisation. This was mainly because Sir Timothy was spending more time with the two Houses of Parliament and so had little time to look after the work he normally did.

Increasingly Cathy was doing the morning briefings — assigning patrols to assist with the police and general army. She found that everybody was accepting her without dissention.

On one of the occasions that they met Cathy brought the subject up.

She and Sir Timothy were having dinner together with Baxter serving. "You see Cathy everyone in the Organisation knows you and they trust you! You've been involved in al they do and understand the issues they have to face. So they will follow you, remember what I told you some months ago, now your fan club has grown." He said.

Cathy nodded, "But I still feel that it's wrong! I'm too young to do this! There should be an older person doing this." She said.

Sir Timothy surprised her by agreeing, "I know what you mean, and I'm sure they would react satisfactorily but not to the same degree as you are achieving." He said. Cathy didn't answer as she had heard this before, but still didn't believe it.

The rest of the dinner was spent sorting out the plans for the House of Commons. Sir Timothy wanted Cathy there as he was sure that the Association had more Back Benchers under their control and, as soon as they could identify one then they'd be able to track down the others.

Cathy wasn't certain that this would work. "You saw what happened when I worked on the Cabinet and Shadow Cabinet?" She said. "I was out for some time!" She added.

Again Sir Timothy nodded, "But I've noticed that you seemed to be getting stronger after each time, and I'm not planning on you doing everyone at the same time!" He said with a smile.

Cathy sighed with relief. "I'm glad about that! I'm not superhuman you know!" She said with a smile.

Sir Timothy didn't answer but raised an eyebrow at that.

Cathy was also silent for a few moments and then she asked, "What about the Lords? Are there any possibles amongst them?"

Sir Timothy shook his head. "As far as we can tell there's no problem. Nobody's been acting strangely, and I haven't noticed any oddness at all." He said.

"But you're not going to trust them are you?" Cathy persisted.

Sir Timothy shook his head. "Not at all, we now have metal detectors in the Robing Room. We also have them located at the entrance to the House. An unannounced pin couldn't enter." He laughed, "We did have one scare though, a friend of mine Lord Medway, Michael, has a pair of cufflinks, they actually bullets of a small calibre, too small for any real use though. He brought them after his stint in the Army. He keeps setting off the detectors." He added.

"But that's the only one?" Cathy asked, "Couldn't you convince him to leave them at home for the time being?" She suggested feeling nervous for some unknown reason.

Sir Timothy shook his head, "Not really, he regards them as good luck charms, and anyway he's got no way of using them, if he or anyone else had a gun the metal detectors would show it!" He said,

Cathy realised that there wasn't anything she could really do about this and so she kept quiet.

Sir Timothy was slightly agitated and then spoke up. "The thing I'm concerned about is the dissolution. Her Majesty wants me to speak first." He said, "This has never happened before, it's always been that everyone waits for the Monarch to speak and then for her to give permission for discussions." He said.

Cathy nodded, "In a way it's an honour for you. But then again with the subject it could be seen as a slight to the rule of the Monarch!" She said using an insight that she didn't realise she had.

Sir Timothy nodded, "Yes it is! The previous person who spoke before the Monarch was Oliver Cromwell! And I don't want to be thought of like him!" He said.

The rest of the dinner was carried out in silence as they were both immersed in their thoughts.


On her return to Alpha 3, Cathy went to her father's rooms. After talking to Sandra she then went to the nursery where the twins were. She played with them while their nanny looked on, after a few minutes the nanny fell asleep. The twins waited for a few seconds before they altered their stance.

"There is trouble ahead, what we thought would happen have now changed!" Samuel said.

"The Association has altered from the path! We didn't think they would endanger innocents!" Samantha said.

Cathy shook her head, "Then why did you interfere with them?" She asked.

The twins looked at each other in silence before Samuel spoke. "Sister Cathy, we didn't! There has been a change in the attitude of the real leader of the Association, Bemalin!"

"The time he spent locked away in the Dreamtime has affected him, he is consumed with the need to retaliate. This is his way! He has taken his power and placed it inside a person at their Headquarters."

Cathy looked at them, "So what you are saying is this is my fault!" She accused them.

Both the children shook their heads. "Not at all Sister. You did what you had to, the events just carried on from there; it could have gone anyway it was just unfortunate he chose this way!" They said, almost in unison.

Cathy shook her head. "No, it was my fault! So what's going to happen now?" She asked.

Again the twins looked at each other before Samantha answered, "We don't know! There is darkness ahead. We thought the Association would concentrate on finding Hiram and using him ... but they haven't! The loss of Hiram would have forced the Organisation to higher things."

Cathy just looked at them, "You knew about Hiram? Why didn't you tell me?" She demanded.

Samuel looked at Cathy, "Because you didn't need to know! But what we can tell you now is this." He whispered an address into Cathy's ear and then a code. "I suggest you go there now!" He said and then the twins returned to their playing.


Cathy drove the car — she had a licence although she was underage! The car stopped a few streets away from her target.

She walked slowly along the pavement, looking into shop windows just as if she was choosing which to enter — in fact she was checking for anyone following her. As soon as she was certain that she was alone she then went to a door.

Using the code Samuel had given her she opened the door and entered the building.

Silence pervaded the whole building, nobody was there to speak and the only thing around was the muted hum of machinery. "Hello?" Cathy called out.

"Greeting Commander Cathy, I see you have my address." Hiram's voice came from a speaker.

"Hello Hiram, I suppose I had to see you." Cathy said with a smile on her face.

"Well if you'll follow the corridor you'll be where I am." Hiram said.

Cathy didn't know what to expect, perhaps a large area with a camera, or banks of equipment. What she didn't expect was a simple room with a computer screen and a web-cam.

As Cathy approached the screen lightened and a man's face was on the screen. "My name is Archibald Watson; this video has been activated by your entrance to this facility. As I am recording this message I have been diagnosed with cancer and do not expect to survive the year. My ... child, Hiram is located below in a secure area; the code to access this is hidden. It's because I don't trust this world and feel that when the anarchy starts it will be up to Hiram to ensure the continued work of housing the knowledge for the future." The Professor paused and wiped his glasses.

"It is not through affectation that makes me call Hiram my child, with the capacity I have provided him there is the projected possibility that he may exceed the Turin level and seem to give spontaneous responses. I do hope so ... but I doubt if I will see that. Please look after him, and support him!"

There was an embarrassed cough from the speakers, "I'm sorry Commander Cathy, but that was an automatic message by my creator, I had no control over it." Hiram said.

Cathy smiled, "that's alright Hiram. You should hear how my dad talks about me! And I'm Cathy not Commander Cathy, I'm here as your friend." She said.

Hiram generated a face on the screen; it was an elderly man which was based on Professor Watson, the face smiled at her. "Thank you Cathy, can I ask where you got my location from?" He asked her.

Cathy couldn't see why not and so she said, "The twins told me, they also gave me the code to get in."

"Ah yes! Well they would, you know it is strange; they are the first ones to interface with me without a physical connection. They are very powerful." He said.

Cathy nodded in agreement, "Yes they are, but you know the prophecy?" Hiram nodded his 'head' in the screen, "Well they say that they're not the twins mentioned, but they are purely showing the way for the twins? It sounds all very biblical to me. Do you think they really could be the ones?" Cathy asked.

Hiram paused, which for him was a long time, "I would have given a high probability that they were the ones. But now it's less than 40%. They are worried, that's why they gave you my location. They did expect that my systems would be physically removed some time ago and then located in the Association's base. But now that has altered." He said.

Cathy frowned, "You were expected to be kidnapped? Weren't you worried about that?" She asked.

"Worried? Oh no, it was all part of the plan. While I was giving them orders on how to take over the country I would also be passing the data to the Organisation." Hiram said in a steady voice.

"So what happened?" Cathy asked.

"I do not know! This was outside my parameters. Something has occurred when the new person, Grogan, took over. They got ruthless I have predicted that they will take over the Government, this I give as a 95% probability." Hiram told her.


Cathy looked at the screen in shock. "To do that they'd have to move quickly as the Government debate was set up for tomorrow and then later on during the week it would be at the Lords." She said, Hiram didn't speak, "Do you know how they'd do it?" She asked him.

The face on the screen shook in the negative, "That I cannot say, my worse case scenario was Regicide as the most obvious, but even a bomb could allow the Association to succeed." Hiram advised.

Cathy removed a radio from her belt and pressed a button, the sound of static greeted her ear. "Damn! What wrong with this thing?" She asked out loud

"That would be me I'm afraid Cathy, my electronics have a detrimental effect on most electrical equipment, I can provide communications should you require it?" Hiram said.

Cathy didn't hesitate she answered yes and then added, "Hiram I need to have you guarded, you said you expected to be raided so it's obvious that the Association would have this address. Is it alright if I do this?" She asked.

"I cannot refuse you can I Cathy?" Hiram said and the screen changed to show a man sitting in front of another system, Cathy recognised the room behind him.

"Alpha One Communications, you are using an unauthorised access point! Identify yourse..." The man said but then saw Cathy at the other end and his request faded. "Sorry Ma'am, what do you require?" He asked while saluting at the same time.

Cathy returned the salute. "I need a discrete guard on the following address." She then added the address where Hiram was located, "I require the guard to be fully armed! And nobody, except authorised personnel, is to be allowed access to this site." She said.

"Fully armed ma'am? I don't think you can authorise that without clearance." He said frowning.

"Captain... ?" She asked.

The officer sat stiffly in his chair. "Grimwade Ma'am, Captain Andrew Grimwade." He said.

"You know who I am Captain, but please pass on my request; I'll wait for your response." Cathy said.

Grimwade was just about to put Cathy on hold when a phone by his side rang; he answered it, listened for a few seconds before hanging up. He returned his attention to Cathy. "That isn't necessary Commander, Alpha One Actual was listening in to this conversation, and all your requests will be followed explicitly." Grimwade said.

Cathy didn't smile, it wasn't in character, but it was nice to have friends in high places! "Please pass my thanks to Alpha One Actual. I have a message to record for the team assigned." She said.

Grimwade pressed some buttons on the keyboard, "Recording Ma'am." He said

"This location is the site of subject designated as Hiram! The subject is considered to be of vital importance to The Organisation and requires full monitoring and protection. Any requests from subject code named Hiram are to be followed implicitly. This has the highest priority and has to be protected against possible attacks by The Association who is also thought to know about this site. Due to the nature of the subject it is impossible to relocate subject to a safe location. This will cause problems but cannot be avoided. Message ends." Cathy said.

"Recorded Ma'am, and Ma'am I apologise for my words." Grimwade said.

Cathy gave him a warm smile, "That's okay Andrew, you were just following the correct procedures, and you were right to question the order. An office cannot just order armed guards on their own right, it has to be checked. You were correct in your actions. And my name is Cathy!" She said.

Grimwade saluted, "Thank you Cathy. But I knew I shouldn't have questioned your orders." He said.


Cathy shook her head and returned the salute the link closed down. Hiram's 'face' was back on the screen. "We should have a team here shortly Hiram; do you need anyone inside or just outside?" She asked.

"You are giving me a choice? I thought you would just decide for yourself?" Hiram said, surprise sounding in his voice.

Cathy shook her head, "Hiram they are here to protect you, I mean it's not as if you're able to walk out of here. So you can either have someone here in this room to talk to or they can be outside."

Hiram didn't seem to hesitate — but to a computer even a second is a long time — before he answered. "I would prefer if there was someone in that room, I talk to people out there all the time, but I never have a conversation like this, I would like to be able to." Hiram said.

Cathy smiled, "Yes, it is nice to be able to just talk isn't it? But we're also going to have to improve the communications, just in case The Association attack and take the telephones down." She said.

"There is an emergency communications network available, which I check every two days. It doesn't depend on the normal telephone communications network." Hiram advised her.

Cathy smiled, "That would be fine." She said.

"Cathy! There is someone at the entranceway." Hiram said and the screen showed a scene outside. Cathy recognised the older man and smiled.

"That's Captain Webb; he's part of the team. Shall I go down and let them in?" She asked.

"There is no need; I can open the door from here." And on the screen Cathy could see the door open slightly.


Frank Webb looked surprised and then he looked around, spotting the camera he nodded but didn't move.

"Can I talk to him please Hiram?" Cathy asked.

"Certainly Cathy ... you may speak now." Hiram said.

"Hello Captain, please come in." Cathy said.

Frank waved to the camera and pushed the door open wider; he and the man with him entered and shut the door behind them. Cathy watched as the pair made their way to where Cathy was waiting for them.

While they were walking down the corridor Hiram spoke up. "I have warnings of weapons, three guns! Two carried by person identified as Captain Webb, and one on unknown person. Defence equipment disabled to allow access." He said and then added, "I apologise again Cathy that was a separate programme in my circuitries. I was just able to give clearance in time, or they would have been anesthetised." Hiram said.

"I didn't know you could defend yourself, you might not need us." Cathy said.

"I only have a limited number of bolts, any more than 10 and my systems are empty. Professor Watson didn't envisage anything like this." Hiram said sadly.

"Even that would save give us vital seconds to respond, I think you'd better prepare yourself. I'll try to get some upgrades." Cathy said to him.

"Please ensure they are non-lethal, I cannot be responsible for the direct death of a person." Hiram advised her. Cathy nodded and made an entry on her PDA.

Frank and the other man entered the room and saluted, Cathy smiled, "Really Uncle Frank! When did I ever ask you to do that?" She said.

Frank smiled in return. "Well when we get an order from high up, you've got to show willing!" Frank said but remained saluting.

Cathy sighed and returned the salute. "Hiram can I introduce you to my Uncle Frank and... ?" She looked at the other man.

"Private Jackson, Ma'am." He said.

Cathy shook her head, "At ease Private, what's your first name?" She asked.

"It's Andy Ma'am." Private Jackson said.

" ... and Private Andy Jackson." She finished.

Frank was looking around puzzled. "Cathy? Where is the person we're supposed to be protecting? I can't see him anywhere." He asked.

Cathy laughed and pointed to the screen. "Let me introduce you to Hiram." She said.

"How do you do Captain Webb, I was intrigued by your solution to the Middle East scenario, I hope you'll be able to answer why you attacked the enemy base after your men had been attacked?" Hiram asked.

"But I only played that simulation yesterday? How could you ... I'll be happy to do so sir." Frank said and then turned to Cathy. "Where do you want the team to be deployed?" he asked her.

"Well Hiram will be able to give you all the information you need, won't you Hiram." Cathy said with a smile.

Frank, suspecting he was the butt of some joke, nodded "And when will we meet the gentleman in question, he can't stay in the computer room all his life." He said.

"Why not Captain, that is where I was born." Hiram said and Cathy could swear he was having fun.

"Born? I'm sorry Cathy but what does this mean?" Frank asked confused.

"It's quite simple Uncle Frank, Hiram is an aware computer, he was designed to understand people and decided that a war simulator was the best way to see how people coped with things, but he's also able to work out situations and suggest solutions to them. It's for this reason that we need him, and because he's calculated that the Association knows about his location, I decided that he needs protecting. Which is why you are here, he also needs to talk to real people and that will be your other work, along with your men. I suggest you rotate shifts inside here as well as outside, let them get to know Hiram and let him get to know you that is all." Cathy said.

Frank frowned, "You mean it thinks and makes decisions? But it's a computer!" He said, "It's supposed to make decisions, it doesn't make him alive!" He said.

"That is true, I mean my circuitry is electronic, but then so is your brain, except where mine is electrical, yours is bio-electronic, my circuitry is solid state yours is biological. Where is the main difference?" Hiram asked.

Frank turned to the screen, "Yes but there has to be some difference between..." He broke off as he realised what he was doing. "I'm sorry Hiram; I was surprised at the idea." He said.

"I cannot take offence Captain Webb, you have your hurdles to overcome as do I, and mine is convincing people that I'm harmless." Hiram said.

Cathy smiled. "You are anything but that Hiram. Now I have to return to Alpha 3, shall I give Kat your regards Frank." She said baiting him.

Frank laughed, "That's Kathy, and yes please." He said as she answered with her normal 'Whatever!'

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.