The Angry Whore - Book 1 - Cover

The Angry Whore - Book 1

Copyright© 2006 by POL

Chapter 30: Revenge on the Howl

4 September, 1686 Dawn

"Something's wrong. I just know it!" Claire said with concern, she knew only something truly grave would have sent Cog looking for them. Hastily getting up she made her way past Nuflo and then hurried toward the front door with anxiety for her sister foremost on her mind.

Maria and Pierre looked puzzled.

"Cog is the mute shipmate we told you about," Felipe explained then quickly followed after Claire.

"Nothing other than something very serious could have taken him away from the Maidens Revenge," Scarlet added feeling pangs of worry and fear for the woman he loved turn his stomach into a tight knot, as he and everyone else followed suit making their way to the front of the house.

Isabel's face reflected her apprehension concerning her sister Teresa.

Noting the look on Isabel's face Maria placed her arm around her sister's waist comforting her as they walked, "Isabel. Please do not concern yourself yet. It may not be anything at all. Teresa's fine, I just know it. Wait until we've heard what your shipmate has to say before becoming needlessly stressed."

Isabel returned a skeptical weak smile and nod.

Cog looked worn out. His face reflected the trouble his shipmates had predicted and his posture indicated that he must have traveled all the way by foot.

He had given Dancort's note to Claire and after her having read it, with a fallen face she handed it to Carmen.

As Carmen read the note Pierre invited Cog inside and then over to one of the several benches located along the wall. Then looking around and noting that Nuflo had followed them, speaking in French he requested she fetch a glass of cool water for the weary man.

Carmen looked up and then turning toward the others she said, "It's from Ihon, he says that around dusk this evening Bass came aboard the Maidens Revenges in an attempt to steal her, but because of some lock thing Ihon had installed on the ships rudder Bass was unable to sail her away, so about an hour after everything had started Bass departed in a long boat taking both Constance and Teresa with him as prisoners. Ihon also says that during the attack Aba was seriously injured but should recover, and that both Constance and Teresa were unharmed. He finishes off by saying that he deems Bass has a ship anchored somewhere outside the harbor."

Nuflo returned with a glass and pitcher of water. After filling the glass she handed it to Cog who drained the glass in one swallow. Nuflo refilled the glass which Cog also emptied but with a little less urgency than the first.

"We need to leave straight away. I'll not stand to have Constance or Teresa in Bass' hands a second longer than is outside my control!" Scarlet said with conviction feeling his previous fear turn into anger.

"Agreed," Carmen approved, then turning to cog she asked, "Cog, do you think you're fit for travel?"

Cog stood and thumped his chest with his fist.

"Good. All right then, everyone gather your belongings, we leave immediately," Carman said to all.

"What can we do to help?" Pierre asked.

"Just remain here and wait for our return. We promised Teresa if she stayed behind and we were able to find you, we would bring her to her sister. That is one promise I intend on us keeping," Carmen responded.

They ran the horses most of the way and made the river crossing in less that half an hour, then out of expediency Carmen elected to use force rather than slick of tongue or stealth of body and the party crossed the river on the very next cargo ferry available.

Finding their long boat where they had left it they rowed out to the Maidens Revenge discovering Dancort there but Aba missing.

"I told the darned fool not to go," Dancort explained to them, "told him he was still far too weak. But his head is even harder than his body, he insisted on taking the Jollyboat to see if he could find out if Bass did indeed have a ship anchored out there or not."

"Well, no matter, right now there isn't enough wind to sail a child's paper boat let alone a real ship. If Bass is out there, like us he isn't going anywhere," Scarlet pointed out.

While they waited for the wind they readied the ship for sail and battle and then Dancort showed the shore party how the wheel lock worked.

After showing them the lock Isabel kissed Dancort on the cheek telling him, "Thank you Ihon had you not done this there would be very little hope of us ever rescuing my sister or Constance."

"Yes, thank you Ihon," Claire told him and she too kissed him on the cheek.

"Aye, excellent work," Scarlet agreed, "However do not be expecting a kiss from me."

"And none I should be a wantn' nether sir," Dancort responded good-naturedly, "yet many a job I will be lookn' to do in order ta earn such sweet reward as this from two such lovely lassies, or even one from our fair Captain I might add."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.