Amanda's Eyes - Cover

Amanda's Eyes

Copyright© 2005 by Woodwiz

Chapter 2: Second Try

That night, after talking on the phone to Kelly, Ken did a little internet research on blindness and schools. He learned that authorities currently thought it was more effective to place visually impaired students in mainstream classes in normal schools; the years of special schools for the blind were long past. Schools often provided extra help, tutors, and special facilities to blind students, but the blind students were expected to do normal course work, and meet the same graduation requirements as sighted students.

The reading he was doing wasn't strictly necessary, since books on tape as well as Braille versions were available for most required texts, but experts felt that personal reading enriched the experience of the book, so they encouraged it. He chuckled when he read that; it didn't seem like Amanda found his reading to be a very enriching experience.


Tuesday afternoon, Ken again drove to Lincoln High and made his way to room 214. Miss Harris was manning the desk again, and Ken greeted her, identifying himself and finding, to his great joy, that he'd be reading to Amanda again in room six.

"Do you know what the story is with Amanda? I tried to be polite and friendly yesterday, but she just about took my head off."

"Amanda lost her sight in an accident two years ago. She's having trouble dealing with her blindness and isn't always nice to people, well, I suppose you could say she's hardly ever nice to people. If you'd like to change and read to someone else, we'll swap you, but I'd sure appreciate it if you would give it another try."

Ken thought for a moment, "Okay, I'll take another shot at it, but can you suggest anything I can do to try to get along with her?"

"Not really. It's her attitude, nothing about you, that's the issue. Just be patient and try not to take what she says too personally."

Ken walked to room six and again and took his seat. He closed his eyes and daydreamed a little until he heard Miss Harris bring Amanda in. Her clothing and personal appearance were a duplicate of yesterday. "Amanda, Ken is here to read to you again today."

"Yeah, I can tell by the smell that it's the same pile of shit again today."

Miss Harris sounded annoyed as she replied, "Amanda, you really don't have to insult everyone around you."

Ignoring the admonishment, she sat down, held out the book, and growled, "So, what are you waiting for, get started."

Ken reached for the book, and in a repetition of yesterday's performance, Amanda let go of it as soon as he touched it. Expecting this, Ken was ready and reached out with his other hand to catch it. He politely said, "Thanks," despite her attempt to trick him again.

Just maybe, Amanda's smirk changed to a slight grin for a moment before she frowned again. "Just read the fucking book."

After reading for about fifteen minutes Ken paused, took a breath, and asked, "Amanda, how old are you?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.