A Wilderness Ordeal - Cover

A Wilderness Ordeal

Copyright© 2005 by Luckier Dog

Chapter 19

(12-23-04, 4:00 p.m., Fairbanks Int'l Airport)

Tara was squealing with joy at the new glass instrument panel and avionics that Grif had Jeff Owens install in her Maule. Now it was as well equipped for IFR conditions as the T-206H. The morning before, they had parked there while doing an inspection test flight to Nome, King Salmon, Anchorage and back, of a new Experimental Honda Jet for purchase consideration.

The little jet was revolutionary as small business jets go, fast and maneuverable with its twin jet engines mounted on top of the wing pylons. This protected them from ingesting any gravel while taking off or landing on an unpaved runway. The thing Grif liked the most about it was being able to land and takeoff from the Walker Lake Airstrip. That by itself was no surprise with a specified take-off roll of 2,647 feet advertised and a 2,277-foot landing distance. The bonus was the 420-knot top speed and 41,000 foot ceiling coupled with a cruising range of 1,100 nautical miles. That added up to much lower fuel consumption than the big Citation Sovereign, which had been parked for two months, but more stops due to less fuel capacity with the small size. Yet the little jet was comfortable for the two pilots and four passengers.

Sam had already convinced Tracy that they didn't need a $14.6 million status symbol with the Citation Sovereign, and when Grif took Sheila and Dennis out to Walker Lake, landed and took off again, Sheila was sold.

"Sell that Citation," Sheila said, "or trade it in on however many of these it is worth. No, seriously, let's sell the Sovereign and buy two of these."

By the time Grif and Tara returned Sheila and Dennis to Merrill Field in Anchorage, and returned the jet to Fairbanks, with the test flight deliberately spanning most of two days, the avionics were installed on Tara's Maule. The company rep noticed that Sheila was eager to buy the plane, and even though it was an experimental prototype it was certifiably airworthy and he would have it done and ready for delivery by January 1. The second one for Dennis and Sheila would have to have a custom interior installed.

Grif signed the contract as Tracy's agent, and he and Tara were ready to head home in the Maule to Walker Lake. Enroute they would make good use of the new Avionics. Of course in the Maule, the trip would take much longer than the little jet. When they arrived, they noted the AVWCC L-100, Casa 212, Beech 1900, and Dash 7 on the site as the crews hurried to complete the third cabin switch to the fire resistant fiberglass composite ones.

The planes had arrived after the trip there in the jet, according to Wally, who was just amazed that a jet, even a small one could get in and out of the airstrip. The project had begun two days earlier on the 21st, and by the next evening they would have all five of the cabins replaced on the Northwest end of the lodge. They would break for Christmas, and complete the transition before New Year's Eve.

January 30, 2005 marked the expected arrival of the new guests making the 5-day trip to see the Aurora Borealis and to enjoy cross-country skiing and snowboarding. The trip would include one two-hour flight seeing tour of the Gates of The Arctic National Park and Preserve for each guest. Chris even tested the idea of pulling skiers behind a snowmobile across the lake, much like water skiing, and called it "Frozen water skiing".

Grif and Tara managed to get the Maule secured inside the hangar with the construction going on and covered it and the T-206H up to protect them from fiberglass dust or strands getting on or in the plane. Quickly they took one of the snowmobiles to the lodge and went inside to see the progress towards getting it ready for the wedding. Tara was thrilled with the jet and had Grif send his friend the Cessna Dealer in Arlington, the message that Cessna Citation Sovereign with 39 hours total on it since buying it, and only six cycles (takeoffs and landings) was for sale and would he help sell it?

Upstairs in the control room they watched the monitors cycle through the security cameras so they could watch the cabin reconstruction project going on. Then at 5:00, the men quit for the day, loaded up the L-100 and Casa and took off for Shaktoolik. Forty-five minutes later the Dash 7 also left. One more day and they would break for Christmas. The AVWCC definitely got with the program and did what needed doing.

At 7:35 Tracy called to say that she had been in contact with Kelsey Langford, who was making a leverage offer to buy out the Walker Lake Lodge, and run it as an Animals First Foundation Resort. His offer was for them to accept $2.3 million more than Sheila and Tracy had invested in it, or else endure a red tape nightmare until they were forced to abandon the lodge altogether.

Tracy said, "Grif it is a fair offer considering they are stonewalling us politically on everything. To be honest with you, Walker Lake was on the AFF agenda when we came up. I had hoped they wouldn't find any references to it when we transferred the records, but apparently they did. I am so sorry Grif, but they would have squeezed you out of the park and preserve before the summer is out. Look at it this way, they can't touch the Chena River Lodge and the $2 million is yours and Tara's to find you a better site."

Grif sighed, "I really liked that spot, Tracy. Well, how long do we have?"

"I have put him off until after Sam and I get back from Mazatlan," replied Tracy. "By the way, Sheila and Dennis are going with us, and we will take Dennis' plane. I expect him on the 17th. Go ahead and tell the AVWCC to hold on the rest of the cabins. You know, you are the one that tells me that everything happens for a reason. Just accept that it is part of God's master plan. Chin up, Grif, and you and Tara have a Merry Christmas."

Grif replied, "You too, Tracy," but what he was thinking was, "HUMBUG!"

Tara gently caressed his face and gave him a kiss. "I got my present early," Tara said, "and I think it is only right that you should get yours too."

She went to the big supply closet and pulled out a large box, around three feet long by two feet tall and wide. It was wrapped, and said, "To my most wonderful husband, may all of your dreams come true. Love always, your Tara."

"It is kind of ironic isn't it?" noted Grif. "Thank you Tara. Even if our original dream didn't quite make it to fruition."

"Come on, open it," Tara urged, as Grif began to peel back the wrapping. As he opened the flaps, Tara handed him his power Phillips screwdriver, as he saw the lovely fiberglass mount of the thirty-inch Arctic Char like they caught at the Colville River. He took the mount out of the box and admired the exquisite detail; thrilled that Tara would have that done for him.

"Uh, Grif, there is more," Tara explained. "That is not the main course, only the appetizer. Lift up the cotton batting, and then take the other part out by the corners. I will help."

Inside was what looked at first like a miniature village made of craft sticks. As Grif lifted off the layers of cotton batting meant to simulate snow, beneath it was a 2' x 3' representation of what now looked similar to Gary Owens' Aurora View Wilderness Lodge, only laid out differently. Small plastic figurines stood by the cabins, and the larger building, and a smaller sculptured Arctic Fox stood on the painted pathway facing the bigger lodge building.

Grif smiled and gave her a hug and kiss and said, "Someday one like it will be ours, Tara. Thank you."

Tara said, "I thought you had an eye for detail. I think you missed something. In fact I know you missed several things."

"As much work as you put into making this, Tara, I am not surprised," replied Grif. "This is gorgeous. This is the best Christmas present anyone has ever given me. Oh, look here. It is a sign, 'The Arctic Fox Lodge, Ungalik, Alaska, Grif and Tara Walker proprietors.' That's a good name but I think there already is one by that name. Wait that is it. It's one of the Aurora View Lodges. How in the world?"

"Sheila told me about the AFF trying to take us over out here when we were in the Ladies' Room a couple of weeks back," Tara admitted. "She was very aware of the stonewalling we were facing because the Interior Secretary called her and said that Langford's politicians had his hands tied. When Langford approached them for a buyout, Sheila recalled Gina telling her the day we visited them, that the lodge the Native Corporation has been running probably was going to close down by next summer. Everyone made more money in building, so they couldn't man it. I hope I wasn't presumptive, but Sheila fixed it where we came out ahead on the Walker Lake Lodge enough to buy the Arctic Fox and have change left over. Best of all, we get to keep the change!"

Grif was flabbergasted, "I guess we move again. How did you manage to keep this from me?"

"I guess the same way that you kept the plane upgrade from me," reasoned Tara. "We were both busy trying to do something for the other. Come on let's go see Gus. He will tell us about the lodge. If you lift up the roof on the lodge, there are some brochures and a map inside."

Gus greeted them and started to tell them about the lodge. The Arctic Fox once had twelve guest cabins, but they only booked eight to ten guests a week for the fishing. The other cabins were used for tourist lodging, and for the Iditarod Dogsled Race fans every March. The river had a decent run of King Salmon, and Chum Salmon, a better than average Pink Salmon run and a healthy run of Silver Salmon.

In addition there were abundant and large Arctic Char and Dolly Varden, and Arctic Grayling up to twenty-four inches had been caught. Those were some hefty grayling. The AVFL had several flyout destinations for pike and Sheefish, and one for Lake Trout. That was a lot more variety than Walker Lake had for sure.

Instead of doing the political dance with the anti's and the Park Service, Grif would deal with the Shaktoolik Native Corporation. There was a gravel runway 2900 feet in length that could accommodate the little Honda Jet, and a road to the village, once you got across the river. The Ungalik River was over a hundred miles long, but less than half had been explored or fished. Best of all, the neighbors were friendly. Gus also explained that the hangar at Walker Lake was not part of the deal, and was to be disassembled and moved to the Fox, as he affectionately called it.

Tara called Tracy and Sheila to tell them that Grif knew about the Arctic Fox Lodge. They were happy, and said that they deserved it. That is when the other shoe fell. Tracy explained that with Grif and Tara way out in the west part of the state, it wasn't practical for them to be their full-time pilots. She was going to release them from the contract with the Arctic Fox, and the "change" being their severance package.

Grif and Tara would soon be family by virtue of Tracy's marriage to Samuel, and it was only fitting that they also put the Caravan Amphibian to use at the Arctic Fox. The Honda Jet was also to be theirs, and Tracy would share the other one with Sheila. Tracy still had the BKA 350 and Rudy's three planes, and two pilots at her disposal, three if Sam got his Instrument Rating. When the deal became imminent on the 22nd, since they planned to make the Walker Lake Lodge Grif and Tara's already before Langford reared his ugly head, it was only proper that the Arctic Fox be theirs.

Tara and Grif thanked the sisters, and agreed to watch the kids while the parents were on their honeymoon. Tara thought it would be easier to bring them out to the Arctic Fox Lodge providing it was habitable. She and Grif would go take a look at his Christmas present as soon as it was daylight. Tara offered that they should take the Turbo Stationair, so they could come back to Walker Lake before it got really dark.

Grif countered with the idea of hitching a ride with the AVWCC when they came back out. Tara wondered what for besides the hangars. The AVWCC was to erect the five original deluxe cabins they had removed from Walker Lake, at the Fox between then and March for the Iditarod guests.

Grif thought aloud, "Fantastic, we have our lodge. Now all we need to do is book guests into it."

"They are partially booked from repeat clients," Tara informed him. "Your friend Gary, will be happy to give us a cover letter introducing us to the clients. That should help. There are already brochures and a web site."

Grif suddenly realized they still had some heavy duty moving to do. Mentally he began to gather the things that would need to be flown out, mostly from Nenana, since what they had already brought to Bettles would fit inside of the Cessna Caravan. They recalled the road to Shaktoolik that connected to the AVFL, and realized that they were going to need one of the vehicles there at least, and the two snowmobiles.

They sat down with Wally and his wife Anita, and offered them the position at the Arctic Fox. They got along well with the Walkers, so they agreed to make the move rather than deal with the AFF staff. Being that close to Shaktoolik, Anita could teach in the village over the winter. When Grif told the Jackson's that they would be able to re-supply with the AVAS planes more often than they could at Walker Lake, they were thrilled. Tara finally gave them their bonus checks and bade them good night.

Tara told Grif to come on to bed, and they would go and see the lodge in the morning. They didn't yet even know what they had let alone what they would need. They were to soon find out.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.