The Hawk and The Chipmunk - Cover

The Hawk and The Chipmunk

Copyright© 2005 R. Michael Lowe aka The Scot

Chapter 76

While his secretary was on the phone trying to locate rooms for Hawk and the others arriving from Phoenix Jason called the special number provided him by Prince Rashid. A nondescript voice answered, “UAE Embassy. Can I help you?”

“Yes. This is Senator Jason Magill, I need to speak to Prince Rashid.”

“I’m sorry, Sir, but the Prince is in Dubai.”

“That’s funny! He was at my house last evening.”

After a brief pause the man continued, “I can neither confirm or deny that statement, Sir. My security chief asks if there’s another name by which we might know you?” Jason understood the game at that point. They need some confirmation he was who he said he was.

“Your security chief would know me as Longbow.”

Seconds later another voice responded, “Sorry about that, Colonel, but the name Jason Magill didn’t ring a bell, even to me. And what’s this about being a Senator?”

Recognizing the voice on the other end of the line Jason replied, “Tony, how can you call yourself a security chief and not stay up with the news? I was appointed to replace Sarah Tumlin after her stroke. That was more than four months ago.”

Tony laughed, and said, “I guess that answers the age old question of ‘how did a nice guy like you end up in a place like this’? Hold a second, here’s the Prince.”

“Good evening, Senator Magill. Sorry for the delay, I was entertaining some guests.”

Jason picked up on the formal greeting and figured there might be someone there that wasn’t to be aware of their personal relationship.

Based on that assumption Jason responded, “Your Highness, I just needed to advise you of a change in plans. My granddaughter and her husband are presently on the way here to DC, so we’ll not have to fly to Arizona to see them. After they arrive, if you’d like, I’ll try to help co-ordinate a meeting.”

“Please do, Senator, and thank you for advising me so quickly. Do have a good evening, and I’ll talk to you tomorrow.”

With that call out of the way, Jason used his encrypted cell phone to call Joel Cameron, his local head of security. “Yes, Jason, Are you ready for me to pick you up?”

“Not yet, but I do need to give you some information. Hawk and several others are on the way here in a fast jet. My secretary is working to get everyone rooms, but we may need more transportation than the h3. Also, the trip to Arizona has been postponed.”

“Do we need more security?”

“Yes, we do, though most of them can be armed guards covering the rooms and transportation. Also, we’ll need every room checked thoroughly for bugs.”

“Threat level?”

“In reality, probably a one. For security sake, a five.”

“And who is our potential enemy?”

“Big Brother,” replied Jason.

“Jason, this goes against our earlier conversations.”

“Not really, Joel, but you’ll have to trust me until you learn the facts. Hell, I don’t even know all the facts, and it has me shaking in my moccasins.”

“Then, I’ll walk the road with you as long as possible. The only thing I ask is please don’t betray the friendship I feel developing”

“Joel, I don’t see that happening.”

“Then, I’ll get with Maddie and get our security arranged. Let me know about the airport.”

“I will.”

Jason went back to reading some of the pending legislation, but was interrupted a few minutes later by Maddie calling him on the intercom. “Senators Lindsey and McCorkle to see you, Sir. Also, do you know a Mary Beth Andrews?”

Pausing for a moment because he wasn’t used to her married name, Jason answered, “Yes, that’s the aunt of Brenda, Hawk’s other wife. What does she need?”

“She needs to talk to Hawk or Brenda, immediately, As for the other you just said, it sounds like we need to have a ‘little talk.’

“You’re probably right. If I hear from Hawk I’ll have them call her.”

The door to Jason’s office opened and two of his fellow congressmen entered the room. “Close the door, Lindsey. I need to make the two of you aware of something.” His friend did as requested, and the two men sat in the chairs placed in front of Jason’s desk. “Lindsey, I’m surprised you included Mike in this meeting.”

“I know Mike McCorkle pretty well, and from the tone of your whisper what you have to say is volatile. I know Mike is an American first and a Republican second, so I felt he’d be the best of the leadership to hear your warning.”

“Even if it brought down the current administration, or at least the Vice President?”

Surprised, the two Republican Senators looked at each other for a moment before they looked back to Jason, with both men nodding in agreement. “Jason, I can’t see you making false claims and playing party politics. So, if they’ve done the crime, they’ll need to do the time. My view is no one is above the law!”

“OK, gentlemen, I have to admit I’ve very few facts at the moment, but my granddaughter’s husband is flying here with evidence he claims will bring down at least the Vice President, if not the entire administration. He has with him a prior Arizona Assistant Attorney General and one of the leading FBI agents in the Southwest. From what I understand, shortly after they arrive numerous search warrants will be needed, and they’ll also need meetings with several Senators and Congressmen about issuing subpoenas and forming investigative committees. All of this would be pretty much SOP, except we need the media and those blindly loyal to the administration kept in the dark long enough to keep evidence from being destroyed.”

Note: SOP - Standard Operating Procedure - the normal way things are done within the organization.

Mike McCorkle replied, “I hate to say it, but I’m not really surprised. The man is so convinced he’s smarter than everyone else he’s delusional, and our President is convinced he’s on a mission from God. That combination is rather lethal.”

To this Lindsey added, “I used to support both of them, but I definitely would like to be involved with reviewing the evidence, and possibly being part of the investigating committee.”

The Senate Minority Leader responded, “I think that can be arranged. I’d also support Jason to be a part, possibly even the committee chairman.”

“I’m not sure about that,” said Jason, “if this is about the Apache Indians, then I’ll appear to be biased.”

“True, but you’re gaining a reputation of being a voice of reason in this place. If it’s that serious, then maybe some ‘righteous indignation’ and ‘fire in the belly’ is what the committee and the public needs. I’d be surprised if our respected colleagues from the other side of the aisle would fight over the issue.”

“They may not, but I will,” countered Jason. “Being a part of the committee I’d agree with, but not with being the chairman. I don’t want anything to taint history’s view of the process. In fact, I like the idea of making sure that chairman isn’t someone with an ax to grind or their own political agenda. This is too important for that.”

“What about Fitzgerald from Oklahoma. He’s a conservatively leaning moderate Democrat, as well as being a fellow Westerner.”

Jason replied, “I’m afraid I’ve only met him, so I can’t pass judgment.”

The Senator from South Carolina replied, “He’s a lot like you, Jason. Ex-military, tends to be somewhat pragmatic within his moral guidelines, and has a strong sense of what’s right.”

“You’ve got that right,” added Mike McCorkle. “Though he’s not pro-gay, he really reamed the Joint Chiefs over the hypocrisy of its ‘don’t ask - don’t tell’ policy. He told Admiral DeWitt, ‘We don’t judge a soldier by his skin, by his religion, or by his political beliefs. Instead, we judge him by what kind of soldier he is, and how he performs. Why should we treat gay soldiers any different?’ Of course, the policy hasn’t been changed at this point, but I think it has definitely been weakened.”

“And what is your view on this policy?” asked Jason.

“I have to admit, I originally agreed with the policy, and maybe even thought it was too liberal, but over time I’ve come to believe it’s illogical, a nightmare to administer, and contrary to the freedoms and rights set forth in the Constitution. We don’t give someone a bye on their taxes, or deny them the right to vote because they’re gay. Then why should we deny them the right to serve in our military? On the other hand, the same standards should be enforced for homosexuals as for heterosexuals. Sexual harassment, discrimination, favoritism, etcetera, is wrong and should be punished, no matter what the sexual preferences of the various parties involved.”

“Then based upon what you’re telling me, I’ll suggest him to the Democratic leadership as someone who would push the issues of this matter without sounding like an ideologue.”

“He’s someone I can definitely work with,” declared Lindsey, “and I think you can work with him, too.”


High over eastern Missouri, Brenda decided to check her email and send some notes regarding matters that needed to be dealt with over the next two days. Seeing one from her Aunt Beth, she opened it first.

Looking up at Hawk, Brenda said, “I need to call Aunt Beth. Should I use the cell phone or the Skyphone?”

“The Skyphone, but what’s going on?”

“I don’t know. She just asked me to call her ASAP, no matter what the time was.”

“Then call her. It works like any other phone.”

Brenda read the directions and placed the call as instructed.

On the second ring, Zed Andrews answered, saying, “Hello.”

“Uncle Zed, it’s Brenda. Is my Aunt Beth home.”

“Yes. Here she is.”

“Aunt Beth, I just read your e-mail note to call you. What’s going on?”

“Where are you child, and what’s that roar in the background?”

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.