It Started This Way
Chapter 1

Copyright┬ę 2005 by Old 1 Eye

Sex Story: Chapter 1 - West Nile Virus was getting under control, they thought. This is what happened.

Caution: This Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Mult   Consensual   Romantic   Heterosexual   Science Fiction   Pregnancy   Slow  


In Texas:

"Hey, Willie, do you have everything you need?" Mr. Estes asked me.

"Well, I have all of the food and supplies I need, anyway," I told him with a laugh.

He smiled and said, "I am not sending you a girl, no matter how much you beg."

I laughed and got into the old ranch truck. I said "Load up" out the truck window and Bob, the ranch's cow dog, and Cass, my Brittany, jumped into the bed.

I was starting my summer job. I would be going off to the University of Georgia next fall. I had graduated from community college near my home in East Texas, and was working for the Rocking E Ranch as a satellite herdsman. That meant I was working a herd that was located on a pasture that was many miles back in the boondocks.

I was going to be camping out for the entire summer. I had a big tent and a screened room to cook in if the bugs got too bad. I was to receive a shipment of supplies in the middle of July to tide me over until September when I was to come back in to go to school. The truck had a two way radio in case of emergencies, but it pulled a pretty good bit of power. I only planned to use it if I needed to, other than my weekly check-ins.

I had two horses in the trailer, and grain to augment their feed as well as dog food. Mr. Estes had told me that I could augment my food with game if I wanted to. It was not hunting season, but I wasn't worried about the game warden where I would be.

I had a .22 rifle, a 30-30 rifle and a .38 pistol with me, just in case.

I drove for about four hours, getting farther away from everything every minute. I got where I was going and unloaded everything I needed and set up my camp. The horses and dogs were really glad to get here, even if here was really nowhere.

I saddled up and checked on the cattle. I found one that was limping a little, but other than that everything was okay. I made a note to keep an eye on the limper.

I had worked on ranches from time to time through my high school years, and knew what was expected of me.

One thing for sure, I would have plenty of time to think about things, and practice my harmonica playing.

After the first week, the horses, dogs and I were on a first name basis, and I had settled in for a long quiet summer. Other than checking the fence every week, and watching the cattle, I had a good bit of time to myself. I bathed in the creek, and go used to using a latrine. I was not keeping up my shaving for the dogs so I had a scraggly beard in a month. I just figured everyone that saw me would think I was on the way to a Z Z Top concert. One thing I did do was keep my clothes washed; I hated the smell of sour sweat.

In Ohio:

"Dr. Edwards, how are you doing with that sample," my assistant, Jimbo, asked.

"Fine, Jimbo. I don't like fooling with these contagious samples, though."

"I know what you mean. I know our safety procedures are good, but what about unforeseen equipment breakdowns or any other weird shit that might happen."

I was working on a sample of West Nile Virus. The University where I worked was conducting tests of a usable antiviral medicine, among other things.

One of the dangers of working with viruses was forced mutations due to stress on their environment through the medicines. I was particularly careful with the procedures in my lab, my staff was also.

The first week in June, I had gone home and felt everything was under control. I was in the middle of a wait for medicine efficacy testing.

I got a call Sunday afternoon. A military jet had crashed and wiped the roof off my building. My lab was on the top floor, and was open to the air.

I told the fire dispatcher that I had been working with West Nile Virus. They should be careful working around the building, but I didn't think that we were in danger from my laboratory since West Nile was already in the ecosystem.

I couldn't have been more incorrect.

Report to CDC from Dr. Edwards:

The mutated virus from my lab was already spreading through the ecosystem via birds, mosquitoes, equines and person to person contact.

The three week incubation period allowed the disease to spread throughout the globe before it became apparent that we were in serious trouble. Birds started falling out of the sky at alarming rates throughout the world. People started getting "the flu" and expiring quickly and incurably. Horses were also dying at fairly great numbers. Nobody noticed, but the mosquitoes were dying also.

By the first of August, the world's population had dropped to approximately 40 percent of its pre-epidemic number. Third world countries were decimated, because of their poor mosquito control, and high bird populations. Drier climates were not hit nearly as hard, but still suffered severe population loss.

By September first, the world had lost 94 percent of its population of people, 80 percent of its population of birds and 60 percent of its population of equines. We don't have any idea what percentages of mosquitoes died out.

In any case, the affected species got far enough apart that the epidemic died out.

In Texas:

When Eddie came out with my July supplies, he told me that there was a really bad flu epidemic gong on world wide, and the news said it was like the swine flu in 1918.

My radio quit working around the first of August, but I really wasn't too worried about it. I was fine and the cattle were doing well. The limper even got alright.

I had supplemented my larder with several rabbits, and few squirrels, but I mostly worked. I kept the fence in good shape, and kept a close eye on the cattle.

It came time for me to head back to go to school. I loaded my things up and hitched up the trailer. I loaded the horses up, started the truck and called the dogs.

I had been alone enough this simmer and I was ready to talk to someone who could talk back.

I thought it was a bit unusual that the truck radio wasn't picking anything up, but I figured it just had electrical problems since the two-way had quit also.

After I had driven far enough to have been on the pavement for about 40 minutes, I began to notice that I hadn't seen a single car. I knew there were not many people who lived here, but I should have seen a car by now. I could still see cows in the pastures as I rode on down the road, so I just figured it was an unusual day.

I stopped at the first store I came to. There was not a soul in sight. The place had a bad smell. The electricity had obviously gone off and the food in the coolers had spoiled. I looked around some more, and found the remains of a woman (I think it was a woman from the dress she was wearing) in the residence upstairs from the store. She was a mess. I thought about the flu epidemic and didn't touch her.

I noticed some ammunition as I was leaving and decided to pick up some extra, the owner obviously wouldn't need it. I got a couple of boxes each of 30-30, and .38 ammunition and two bricks of .22 ammunition.

I stuffed the .30-30 full and put it on the seat beside me. I put the .38 in a holster on my right hip.

I headed on to the main ranch. I didn't see another car on the highway. I was starting to freak out now. When I got to the ranch, there was not a soul there. I saw one of the ranch dogs and called him over. He was in terrible shape. I got out some dog food and put it down for him. He ate it quickly, and went to get a drink from the pond. Bob and Cass were lo0oking around the place and started barking. I found what they were barking at. It was a bobcat, and a big one. He was eating the remains of a horse and did not want to leave it. I called the dogs off and left the cat alone. I went into the main house. Nobody was here alive or dead. I looked around. I turned a light on, out of habit and the lights came on. I looked around, and found that Mr. Estes had a small windmill that produced electricity, so the freezer and refrigerator were still running. Most everything in the 'fridge was bad though.

I let the horses out of the trailer and gave them some food. I put some dog feed down where it was usually put. Bob, Cass and the other dog, I didn't know his name, came and ate some.

The telephones were not working, so I quickly unhitched the trailer and fueled up the truck and left out for my house in town. I took Bob, Cass and Joe, as I had taken up calling him, along with me.

I drove the 20 miles into town in pretty quick time, considering the old truck was not in the best health.

I still saw nobody. I saw several dogs running around. They didn't seem any more aggressive than I would expect in a normal situation. They did look thin, though.

I got to my house and found just what I had expected. The refrigerator smelled and nobody was home.

I looked around. I found a letter from my mother addressed to me. It said that she prayed I would live to find the letter. Dad had died from the plague, and she was afraid that she would not last much longer. She said she and Dad loved me, and that I should try to find my sister at Midland.

Dad said I should take his truck and make sure I always protected myself since he was sure that there would be no law anymore. He also said that I should go to the sheriff's office and National Guard armory to make sure I had supplies, armor, guns and ammunition.

There were a few more lovey-doveys and a tearful goodbye.

I was shaken up. My mother and father were dead, and probably my sister, too.

I cried for a while, and then got busy doing what my dad and mom said.

I loaded up everything from the ranch truck into dad's crew cab. It was a one ton long bed. I turned the key and it cranked right up. The tank was full of fuel, so I knew I had around 600 miles of range if I needed it.

I went back into the house, and packed up some more of my clothes, and shoes. I also got my dad's shotgun. It was an Ithaca model 37 Deer Slayer. I got all the shells dad had also.

My next stop was the Sheriff's station. Of course, no one was there, alive or dead. I found a large safe. It was locked. I looked around a bit and found the combination under the desk blotter. The safe had the tactical weapons the Sheriff's SWAT people used, I assumed.

There were five M-16 rifles, two Remington 700 sniper rifles, and three MP-5 Navy Submachine guns, as well as 15 Sig 226 pistols. There were also three sets of breech armor (the hard kind) and 12 sets of III-A (softer armor), which I assumed was not as good as the harder stuff. I knew all this because it was written down on an inventory sheet. There were also many hundreds of rounds of ammunition for each type of weapon.

There were also holsters, magazine pouches, and other items for the weapons. I looked at all the guns and figured I could use them in a pinch. I left my .38 and all its ammunition in the safe. I got all the rifles and carbines and six of the pistols and 20 extra magazines for each type of gun. I also loaded up three cases of ammunition for the rifles and 5 cases of 9mm for the MP-5's and Sigs. I also got 2 cases of buckshot. I got two sets of hard armor and 3 sets of soft armor. I put on a set of soft armor and put my outer shirt back on over it.

The next stop was the armory. I went inside and found many MRE's and other supplies that would be useful, such as water purification tablets and camp cooking equipment.

I loaded up the supplies, and looked around for anything else that I could use. (This armor was really hot.) I found some clothing and boots. I got some of each, and 3 helmets. I also found a large safe. I looked around some more and found the combination on the bottom of a drawer in the outer room. They had many weapons here, but none any better than the sheriff had, except for hand grenades. I got a case of fragmentary grenades. I also got a few manuals about care of weapons and how to use hand grenades, and field medicine.

That kicked in an idea. I got a couple of corpsman's bags. The truck was pretty full now, so I locked everything back up and went back to the ranch. At least there was electricity there.

I went back out to the ranch. I saw some more dogs on the way back, but they caused no problems, this time.

I got back and unloaded the truck into the house. I cleaned out the refrigerator, and looked to see what was in the freezer. I got a package of steaks out to thaw and went and fed the horses and dogs. I started the tractor and pushed the horse carcass farther away from the barn.

I brushed the horses and checked their feet. They were in good shape.

I thought, 'I need to open the cross fence gates so the cows can move as they need to.'

I worked on cleaning up the area around the barn and house until dark. I went into the house and took a warm shower. I was trying to conserve the electricity if it would do any good to do so.

I felt much better after the shower, I cooked supper. The eyes on the stove worked, but the oven didn't. "This power system must only put out 110 volts," I said to myself.

The supper was good, steak and green beans out of a can.

I called the dogs up and gave them a pat on the head. I called Cass inside the house. I gave her the bone from my steak. She ate it on the floor by the front door. She was smart and remembered that she wasn't allowed on the carpet.

I turned on the radio and searched the AM and FM bands for any traffic. None was to be found. I decided to look for radio traffic every day for 30 minutes.

I caught a glimpse of myself in the bathroom mirror before I went to bed and decided I had better cut my hair and trim my beard so I didn't look like too much of a booger when I happened to meet someone.

I got one of Mrs. Estes' pairs of scissors and trimmed my hair and beard. Now that I had ruined my Z Z Top image I looked somewhat more presentable.

I slept in the main bedroom. 'I guess this ranch is mine, now.' I thought.

I had some more steak and green beans for breakfast this morning. I brushed my teeth and went outside. The dogs were happy to see me. I gave them some food, and gave the horses a small ration and turned them out to graze. Mrs. Estes' garden was still producing some tomatoes and squash, so I picked what it gave me and picked the beans and peas that had dried on the vine. I also picked some pears from the tree there. The fruit was very good and sweet.

I worked around the ranch for a few more days and got things in pretty good shape, I thought.

I checked the pantry, and found that I was low on several items, such as sugar, salt and flour. I knew there was a wholesale grocery company in the next town over, so I decided to make a trip to pick up some items that I might need, and also to search for other survivors.

I called the dogs up and got my armor on and left for the next town over. Smithfield was a small town as towns went, but there was a wholesale grocery company there. I had made a list of what I thought I needed. I had decided to look around and see if I had forgotten anything also.

I pulled up to the loading dock and opened a roll up door after having to find a walk in door to break into. The daylight flooding into the warehouse made it much easier to find things, than using flashlight power only. There was a propane powered forklift that started when I turned the key. The headlights allowed me to find things more easily. I hauled a pallet of flour out to the truck and loaded a couple of hundred pounds into the truck. I took the rest back inside. I did the same with salt, sugar, soap, shampoo, C and D size flashlight batteries, spices, canned fruit and vegetables. I had a truck full, and decided to look for survivors.

I rode through town and stopped and blew the truck horn every three blocks and waited. I had my shotgun beside me on the seat, just in case I ran into a bad one.

I was getting ready to leave town and the dogs started raising sand. I looked and saw a waif-like figure approaching me. It was armed with a rifle of some sort. I got out of the truck and waved and smiled. As it got closer, I could tell it was a man. He smiled back and broke into a slow jog.

As he got closer, I could see that he had not been eating regularly. I said, "Are you okay?"

He said, "I have been going from town to town looking for survivors. You are the first one I have found."

I said, "Albert Willard Gainous IV at your service," with a bow and a smile.

He said, "I am Charles Melvin, Jr."

"My friends call me Willie, I hope you will, too," I said extending my right hand.

"My momma called me Charlie, but my friends all me Deuce," he said taking my hand.

I said, "Deuce, as ugly as you are, you are a sight for sore eyes."

We both had a good chuckle over that one.

I said, "I propose that we team up. I know things will be easier if we work together."

"I agree," he said.

"I have a ranch outside of town that has wind powered electricity, and a few conveniences, if you would like to come and visit, or move in," I offered, taking a real chance. I didn't know this guy from Adam's house cat.

He smiled very widely and said that he would love to visit.

"Where is your stuff?" I asked him.

"I have a truck around the corner," he said.

He had a propane truck with his stuff in the front seat.

"You didn't want to run out of gas did you?" I asked with a laugh.

"I still have over three quarters of a tank," he said with a straight face.

I liked this guy already.

"Follow me," I said and we left for the ranch.

We got back in the middle of the afternoon.

We packed the stuff from the truck into the pantry until we ran out of room, then we stored it in the barn.

We went out and checked the garden to see if there was anything that needed doing. I hoed a little and Deuce picked a few squash and tomatoes.

I said, "How about a shower before we cook supper?"

Deuce said, "Cool, I am really dirty."

We took our stuff inside and headed for the shower. Deuce went first, and came out in about 5 minutes looking much better. He was really dirty.

I went in and took a quick shower also.

I put on some clean clothes, and offered some clean ones to Deuce.

"Thanks, Willie. I feel like I might want to live now."

"Hell, yeah," I said, "We will find some more survivors and hopefully there will be some girls, we will make some babies and have a good life."

"We definitely need to find some more survivors," Deuce agreed without a great deal of excitement.

Deuce went into the kitchen and began cooking supper. We had squash and tomatoes and country fried steak. He was a damned good cook. I washed dishes, and put on a load of laundry.

All of his clothes were dirty, and some of mine were, so we had a full load. I gave Bob and Joe the bones tonight, and called Cass inside.

I slept well that night, and awoke rested and refreshed.

I went into the kitchen and found Deuce fixing grits and sausage for breakfast.

He said, "We need to get a gas stove so we can use the oven."

"Do you know how to plumb gas?" I asked him.

"Sure, I was a mechanic in the navy, and I can fix just about anything."

"Do you know how to shoot M-16's and MP-5's?"

"Yeah, do you have some?"

I explained where I got them, and the grenades, and about my dad's advice.

"Your dad was a smart man."

"How old are you, Deuce?" I asked.

"I will be twenty-eight my next birthday"

"I am twenty, I offered.

We ate and cleaned up. I went out to feed the dogs, and horses. I shook the feed can and the horses came up to get fed. I fed the dogs a half ration. Deuce looked around and found a propane tank buried there already. It was just about empty.

"I'll bet this is where the warm water is coming from?" He said.

He checked and the hot water heater was indeed propane and was set on vacation.

He filled the tank and turned the temperature up a little.

We moved the stove out a little and found gas plumbed through the floor behind the stove.

Deuce said, "This will be a snap."

We rode into town and got a basic gas stove, the type you light with a match. We also got a couple of boxes of kitchen matches. Deuce's driving a propane truck made me think we needed to get a truck full of diesel fuel, and stabilizer to keep it usable. We went to the oil distributorship and appropriated a fuel truck and a tank full of diesel fuel. We got enough fuel stabilizer to treat the truck full and put it in the tank to agitate on the trip back to the ranch. We got back home and moved the electric stove into the storage room in the barn and placed the propane stove in the kitchen and hooked it up to the gas line. It worked like a charm.

Deuce fixed us a good supper with some baked cornbread. It was great. I cleaned up and got in the shower. Deuce came in right behind me and took a quick shower.

The next morning we had leftovers and after cleaning up we went and had a lesson about the weapons that I had collected. Deuce taught me how to shoot controlled burst fire with both the MP-5 and M-16. He taught me how to clear a jam and how clean and to fix broken springs, etc.

I also practiced shooting the pistols. They shot very well.

As the months rolled into November, we had gone back into town and retrieved an truckc full of gasoline, and refilled deuces propane truck. We also had moved a large amount of canned and preserved food out to the ranch, as well as two additional chest type freezers to handle any big game or cattle we decided to kill.

I was feeding hay to the cattle. I had decided to let most of the cows loose. We didn't need over thirty or forty head of cows and a couple of bulls. I was going to train a couple of the cows to milk after the calves came, in February.

After a trip into town for fertilizer and seeds for the spring garden, I remembered the airport, and went by and looked for a small plane that I could learn to fly. I found a four place Cessna and a six place Piper. Then I saw a two place piper cub. A friend of mine had owned a cub when I was in high school and I had ridden with him on several occasions.

After I had gotten home, I talked to Deuce about the airplanes and that I thought I should learn to fly the planes and go look for my sister over at Midland.

He said, "Willie, you know she is probably dead, especially if she was living in a town. The only reason we lived is because we were off by ourselves when the plague hit."

"I know you are right, Deuce, but I feel like I have to do it, it was my mothers wish that I look for her."

He nodded and said that he would help as much as he could.

Over the next few weeks, I had the chance to try and fly the cub four times. I learned to take off and land, and navigate. I never flew very high, but I didn't need to. There was a good supply of fuel at the airport. Deuce had fixed up a rig for using the electric pumps with an inverter powered by the truck alternator.

I learned to fly the Cessna and Piper also. I was not fighter ace, but I could take them off and land them if the weather was good.

I decided it was time to go to Midland and look for Sis. Deuce went to the airport with me and we fueled up the Cessna and got it ready for flight. I took a good road map to navigate by and took some water, food, a pistol and a rifle.

"Deuce, I will be back tomorrow afternoon," I told him.

"I will meet you here," he replied.

I took off and flew at a low altitude and slow speed toward Midland. I was going to use this flight to see if I could find anyone else. I flew over every outlying farm or ranch that I saw on the trip, hoping to find someone left alive. No soap, I didn't find a soul. I got to Midland and landed at the airport.

I saw that the fuel tanks were above ground and figured that they could be gravity fed. I got some tools and bypassed the pump and filled the plane's tanks using the slow, but functional, force of gravity.

I found a small car at the airport. I had the keys left in the switch. I turned the key and it had a weak battery. I pushed it until it started rolling down the hill and jumped in and let the motion of the car start the engine. I was glad it had a standard shift. It was a little low on fuel, so I went back and put some airplane fuel into the tank.

I drove to my sister's house on the other side of town. No one was home, a note written to mom, told me that Sis and her husband had come down with the plague. She said she loved us, and prayed that we survived. She left her and her husband's wedding bands tied with a red ribbon with the note.

I cried for several minutes, and then took the rings and headed back to the airport.

I started the plane and took off. I flew a different path on the way home so I would be able to look at different areas than I had seen on the way over.

I had flown for about an hour and saw a small house in the middle of nowhere. There was a person working in the garden. I circled around and landed the plane. I left the rifle in the plane and walked up to the house.

The person who was in the garden was inside the house now. I walked up in the front yard, showed both hands and spoke loudly, "I am Willie Gainous, I live over east of here, I would like to talk to you. I mean you no harm.

I heard an accented woman's voice answer, "Come inside, if you please."

I walked up to the house and the door was opened by a 40ish Hispanic woman.

"I am Willie Gainous," I introduced myself extending my hand.

"Carla Santos," she replied taking mine.

"You are the first person I have seen in four months," she told me.

"I am glad you are getting to see me Mrs. Santos. You are only the second person I have found who survived the plague."

I told her about Deuce and our ranch, and invited her to come back with me in the plane. I told her we would drive back and retrieve anything she wanted form her home here.

"I am very low on food since my husband died and was not able to help me raise a good garden," she said.

"We have a good supply of food, seeds and fertilizer for a good garden next spring. I feel like we need to work together to survive this."

It was getting near dark so I asked if she minded if I stayed with her tonight and we left tomorrow.

"Yes, please come and stay the night. We will be each other's family now since there is no one else."

"I hadn't thought of that, Mrs. Santos," I said.

"Call me Carla, Willie. You will be my husband and the father of any children we may have now."

"Carla, my partner, Deuce, may suit you better. I think we may need to all meet each other before we make any decisions, although you are very pretty and desirable," I said with a smile.

She smiled back and said, "Alright, Willie, we will wait. I don't want to, but we will, to make sure of it."

I helped Carla with supper and cleaning up afterward.

She lit a lamp, and we sat and talked about our lives. She had been married and had two children who both died in the plague. They had been in town at a Catholic boarding school for children of outlying farmers. Her husband had died from an accident when he had fallen off their horse, he and the horse had both died. She had been by herself for the last four months, and had been through most all of her preserved food and what her garden could give her.

We talked a bit more, and she blew out the lamp and we went to bed. I slept in the kids bedroom. We got up the next morning, ate and packed anything light that Carla wanted to take and left for home. I told Carla we would drive back here later this week and pick up anything she wanted.

We looked for more survivors the rest of the trip, but found nobody else.

I flew over the ranch to let Deuce know that I was back. He waved and we went to the airport. I landed without incident.

About an hour later, Deuce came rolling up.

I introduced Carla and Deuce. They made nice, and we went home. Carla was very pleased with the ranch.

We gave her the tour, and went fishing that afternoon. We caught eight fish fairly quickly and went home an cleaned them. We used Mr. Estes' gas fish cooker and kept the frying outside. Carla made some delicious fried cornbread, and we had grits. It was a very good supper.

After we cleaned up, I went and fed the horses and dogs. We took turns taking a shower. Carla was pleased at being clean from a shower.

We had a discussion that night brought on by Carla's frank assessment that one of us had to be her husband, so that she could have some children before she got too old. Deuce said, "Willie, you need to be the husband of any women we find that want children. I can not father children, besides, I like men for sex."

There it was, flat out. I was a little stunned. "Why did you wait until now to tell me?" I asked.

"I knew you were not that way, and I didn't want to cause you to make a decision because I was 'the only game in town'."

Carla, who obviously was very smart and was not closed minded, said, "We make our own rules now, if Willie wants both of us and any number of others that we may find, it is our choice to make, and we can do as we please. The only things we need to consider are our feelings and safety."

"Carla, you are right," I said. "I don't know if I am ready for that, but I agree with your statement totally."

"Good, Willie, that means that you are my husband, now," Carla said.

"I agree, Carla. I hope you can bring us some strong sons and daughters a beautiful as you are."

"Willie, I am 37 years old, so we need to have any children in the next three or four years. I will become infertile or too unhealthy to bring children in these conditions after that," she said pragmatically.

We visited some more and learned about each other. I really liked Carla, and her quick wit and practical ways. I think she liked me also for my honesty and caring.

I called Cass inside, and said I was going to bed. Carla came with me to the big bedroom.

I got into bed and Carla came with me. I said, "Carla, you don't have to do this unless you want to. I know I am not worthy of a smart, good woman like you."

She smiled and kissed me. "Yes you are, Willie. You have proven it to me already."

We made love, and I did not last very long at all. "I am glad I excite you, Willie."

She was right about that. Despite the fact that she was thirty-seven, Carla was built nicely. She was a little thin, but had a nice figure and beautiful hair and smile along with a curvy body, and largish breasts with big areolas and nipples.

I told her she really excited me, and I kissed her face and neck. My youth started to show itself with another erection.

Carla smiled and said, "Go slowly, Husband."

I smiled very big and hugged her close. I moved gently inside her and she was happy to encourage me. I lasted longer this time, and Carla had time to get excited and reach a shaking orgasm as I emptied into her.

"Oh, Willie, that was a good one. Thank you."

"Thank you, my wife," I told her.

For the rest of this story, you need to Log In or Register